PDA

View Full Version : First stippling attempt (critique welcome)

elephant
10-02-15, 00:42
First attempt: Glock 17, about a 2 hour operation. I think I found my calling! No, not stippling, but being still and working with my hands while listening to the radio. Greatest sense of peace ive had in a long time.

elephant
10-02-15, 00:42
for my next project:

Tigereye
10-02-15, 06:04
Nice work. I'm still in the "stippling Pmags" stage.

Straight Shooter
10-02-15, 06:11
Dude that looks great! I just cant get the balls up to attempt it on mine.
BTW..how do you like those Taran Tactical baseplates?

Helix12
10-02-15, 06:22
Very nice job indeed.

BillBond
10-02-15, 08:06
Stippling looks good.
Now you need to get that slide milled for the RMR.

JCast265
10-02-15, 10:25
Looks good man, best part about it is the absent finger grooves. I have yet to get the courage to do my M&P's

Co-gnARR
10-02-15, 11:54
That's a great job there, but the important question is, how does it perform? Have you gotten a chance to put it through it's paces? I handled and dry fired a Glock with a comparable stippling job, and it just melted into my hand. Wish I could have seen how it perform on the range. I hope shooting the gun brings that deep satisfaction of a job well done each time you pull the trigger.

WillBrink
10-02-15, 12:12
Looks great. I'm still too scared to try it!

elephant
10-02-15, 12:26
Speaking of courage, that's he emotion I was struggling with before I attempted this. I didn't want to ruin my G17 and feel obligated to upload the results to the "Hall of Shame" forum. I started by using a Dremel tool with medium grit to remove as much texture and grooves from the frame. This took a little time since I was only remove texture and not reshape the frame. Slow and steady, little by little. Then I used a foam fingernail file to smooth the area. Then I used a pencil and outlined the area that I was going to stipple first and used to fine tip on my soldering iron to outline the frame in the areas that I penciled in. Once I had the outline around the frame, I started filling in with the same fine tip iron- that took 2.5 hours. Glocks are not that big but when your melting .5mm dots over the complete frame, its like push mowing 50 acres. I worked in sections the help get through it though, and completed one side before working on the other.

I reassembled the gun with a new ZEV trigger, ZEV recoil spring, ZEV mag release, ZEV barrel, extended slide release and ZEV mag well. I ordered a custom ZEV slide 2 months ago,I called to ask they said there shop was down and it would be another 45-90 days before I got my slide. I canceled the order because I already waited 60 days up till that point.

To be honest, I like the stippling job, but most likely going to re install all the stock parts except for the extended mag release. Probably remove the mag well and have a sweet stock G17.I don't like the rmr, its hard for me to find the dot and get it on target. Most likely will get a set of hybrid night sights.

JeremyW
10-02-15, 15:26
Nice job! I could never do that myself. I have no finess when comes to that stuff. I tend to man handle everything. Looks good.

willowofwisp
10-02-15, 18:38
did anyone else notice the Ferrari?

GregP220
10-02-15, 18:41
did anyone else notice the Ferrari?

Yup! Lets see some pics of the car.

elephant
10-02-15, 22:49
Yup! Lets see some pics of the car.

GregP220
10-03-15, 13:53
Have fun with those!

gearedforacure
10-03-15, 17:30
To be honest, I like the stippling job, but most likely going to re install all the stock parts except for the extended mag release. Probably remove the mag well and have a sweet stock G17.I don't like the rmr, its hard for me to find the dot and get it on target. Most likely will get a set of hybrid night sights.

Is that a stock G17 slide thats been milled for the RMR? If youre thinking about getting rid of that I may be interested in buying it (the slide and/or RMR).

Giggles
10-03-15, 21:33
Looks really good. But why did you stipple the front of the trigger guard?

elephant
10-03-15, 22:17
Looks really good. But why did you stipple the front of the trigger guard?

yes, but the flashlight kinda hides it.

elephant
10-03-15, 22:18
Is that a stock G17 slide thats been milled for the RMR? If youre thinking about getting rid of that I may be interested in buying it (the slide and/or RMR).

its not milled, I used the rear sight plate which slides into the rear sight keyway and you attach your rmr onto that.

gearedforacure
10-04-15, 00:55
its not milled, I used the rear sight plate which slides into the rear sight keyway and you attach your rmr onto that.

ahh...got it. Well, if you decide to let the RMR go cheap so someone else can see if its for them...let me know :)

KingCobra
10-04-15, 06:17
It's hard to tell on my phone but it looks alot like the stippling I attempted on my standard A2 grip (since we all have at least 10 of those laying around) and I wouldn't be butthurt if I screwed it up..

Mine came out looking about as deep as yours. It felt great in my hand just playing with it but after a range session I learned it was much to rough to shoot without gloves. After some shooting with gloves it started to tear them up.

I saw a member here (flyfishdave, if memory serves me) had stippled his p226 grips and it looked great! Did mine for me and I love it. It is smaller stippling than my job and it plays nicely on my hands without gloves. I did however come to learn there is a small corner that was stippled that tears up the knuckle on my thumb. I'm thinking I'm going to have to smoothen it out.

All in all, it looks great! I haven't had the patience to do it since my original A2 grip. Can't wait to see some further review!

Hwikek
10-04-15, 12:29
I reassembled the gun with a new ZEV trigger, ZEV recoil spring, ZEV mag release, ZEV barrel, extended slide release and ZEV mag well. I ordered a custom ZEV slide 2 months ago,I called to ask they said there shop was down and it would be another 45-90 days before I got my slide. I canceled the order because I already waited 60 days up till that point.

What problems did you have with the ZEV replacement parts?

elephant
10-04-15, 19:06
What problems did you have with the ZEV replacement parts?

I didn't have any problems with them, but the trigger, recoil spring change the gun to a point where, me personally- its a completely different gun. Its a lot snappier- I think is a good word for it. Kind of quicker which a lot of people like but I dint really like the setup.

straitR
10-04-15, 21:51
Looks good man. Love the cars.

Hwikek
10-04-15, 22:23
I didn't have any problems with them, but the trigger, recoil spring change the gun to a point where, me personally- its a completely different gun. Its a lot snappier- I think is a good word for it. Kind of quicker which a lot of people like but I dint really like the setup.

Was it just problems managing the recoil? What about the barrel, were you unsatisfied with the accuracy or was there another reason?

elephant
10-04-15, 22:29
Was it just problems managing the recoil? What about the barrel, were you unsatisfied with the accuracy or was there another reason?

recoil is fine, trigger is fine, I guess the gun responded quicker, maybe a little bit faster. It just wasn't what I expected. I think the setup I have is more for a IDPA setup or for a competition but not for everyday use. The barrel is good, I cant really judge the difference in accuracy between the OEM barrel and Zev barrel at 15 feet- which is about the distance of me and the target at the range I was shooting at.

Hwikek
10-04-15, 23:03
recoil is fine, trigger is fine, I guess the gun responded quicker, maybe a little bit faster. It just wasn't what I expected. I think the setup I have is more for a IDPA setup or for a competition but not for everyday use. The barrel is good, I cant really judge the difference in accuracy between the OEM barrel and Zev barrel at 15 feet- which is about the distance of me and the target at the range I was shooting at.

Okay, but then why did you swap out the barrel? Was it just uncomfortable to shoot the pistol with the other components in place? I know that I often have my wrists begin to feel uncomfortable if I shoot small 9mm pistols.

elephant
10-04-15, 23:14
Okay, but then why did you swap out the barrel? Was it just uncomfortable to shoot the pistol with the other components in place? I know that I often have my wrists begin to feel uncomfortable if I shoot small 9mm pistols.

I put the Zev barrel in when I swapped out all the other parts for Zev parts. I had already ordered a Zev slide and so I wanted a sweet zev set up but I never got the milled slide, so with the stock slide you cant see the barrel.

Hwikek
10-04-15, 23:49
Fair enough. At least you'll get back $200+