PDA

View Full Version : New to building

Predator Rises
10-04-15, 21:04
Hey guys hows it going? Let me start off my saying I am new to the AR15 and whole firearm scene in general. But I decided maybe about a month ago to start putting time and money into building myself a rifle. I really want to get educated and learn more about everything. I have been looking a bit into short barrel rifles and MK18 builds and most likely that is something I am going to build. I have also found about half of the parts I will most likely be using for my build. I am having trouble find some parts that I want to use though, like the DD RIS II rail and I am also having trouble figuring out a good lower & upper. If you guys have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Also I apologize if this post is in the wrong section. If anyone has any questions for me I will be happy to answer to them. Peace.

Ryno12
10-04-15, 21:15
Are you up on the NFA laws & all that it entails to own an SBR?

LTMattyL
10-04-15, 23:26
You are going from 0-60 in about a 1/10th of a second by being new to ARs and jumping right into the NFA game. Its cool that you want to do it, but I would recommend getting a good basic AR (Colt 6920 et al), shoot that first to see what you like and don't like, and go from there. If you still want to build, just read and search here a bunch there is more than enough information to make an informed decision.

elephant
10-05-15, 00:04
You are going from 0-60 in about a 1/10th of a second by being new to ARs and jumping right into the NFA game. Its cool that you want to do it, but I would recommend getting a good basic AR (Colt 6920 et al), shoot that first to see what you like and don't like, and go from there. If you still want to build, just read and search here a bunch there is more than enough information to make an informed decision.

Agree, buy a basic AR like a colt, Bushmaster or Armalite- Go shoot and get familiar with the platform. You will most likely modify to some degree like adding a grip, stock, rail and flash hider. This will give you "some" experience. I wouldn't start out with a stripped lower. And jumping straight into NFA territory might overwhelm you. Welcome to the sport/hobby though! Your going to have a lot of fun.

LTMattyL
10-05-15, 00:22
Forgot to recommend to take a basic carbine class. That is probably the most important if you want to really understand how the platform works. It will help you understand what you actually want to do you with your AR, what accessories you want/don't want, and maybe avoid the huge box of random unused parts that a lot of us have (looking at you AFG and stupidly long tango down vertical grip).

3 AE
10-05-15, 05:30
OP, Have you posted this request in other AR-15 forums? There are a few out there so that you can get a consensus in building your perfect AR-15.

R0CKETMAN
10-05-15, 10:17
You have it all wrong....

- First you must decide which lube you're going to use. I mean this is some def con 7 important shit for you to determine.

Hold on, scratch that....

- First you must decide if you're going to use grease. Then you've got to decide which grease.

Wait:stop: I'm sorry....

- First thing you've got to do is decide if you're going to use WD-40. Do you like WD40, love WD40, or ever sniffed WD40?

Have you used gun lube, grease, or WD40 for anything other than their intended purpose:blink:

Lives are at stake here:suicide:

start your research here https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?9-NFA

SLewis
10-05-15, 10:58
Would not recommend an SBR for a first AR15.

A rifle with a 16" barrel is still very short and will do anything you're likely to ever ask of it. Get a Colt 6920 and don't look back.
Don't be tempted to start swapping parts out because you want to keep up with the guys on the forum. Shoot it for a couple months, then see what you want to change.

elephant
10-05-15, 14:02
You have it all wrong....

- First you must decide which lube you're going to use. I mean this is some def con 7 important shit for you to determine.

Hold on, scratch that....

- First you must decide if you're going to use grease. Then you've got to decide which grease.

Wait:stop: I'm sorry....

- First thing you've got to do is decide if you're going to use WD-40. Do you like WD40, love WD40, or ever sniffed WD40?

Have you used gun lube, grease, or WD40 for anything other than their intended purpose:blink:

Lives are at stake here:suicide:

start your research here https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?9-NFA

LOL, Im scared to death to mention WD40 on this forum

Brassnbullets
10-05-15, 19:31
You can find a ris II in the ee here or on other forums but expect to pay $400 + for it

Predator Rises
10-07-15, 20:14
I hear what you are saying here, but I feel like if I walk into my local gun shop and just buy any basic AR that they have on display, I feel like I would be wasting my money. I want to be able to build a rifle from scratch with all of the parts that I have chosen myself. Now, with that being said, before I commit to buying anything, I am going to do research and get other people input so I can make a educated decision about everything. Also I have read everyone's responses and I want to thank you for replying, it really helps out a lot.

Predator Rises
10-07-15, 20:18
OP, Have you posted this request in other AR-15 forums? There are a few out there so that you can get a consensus in building your perfect AR-15.

No, this is was my first post to this forum.

JackFanToM
10-07-15, 22:37
Start with this from here -
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=750-780

Buy mags and a lot of ammo
Take a class or 2
Then you will know what you want to change or add, if anything. Then once you fully get bitten by the AR bug you can build one with knowledge accumulated (trust me if buy one and enjoy it, you will own more).

Tigereye
10-08-15, 05:50
Several folks are trying to steer you in the right direction, but that's not what you want to hear. But, here goes: buy a complete 16" quality upper, build the lower, don't begin your experience on the NFA path, and take a class, even if you borrow a gun the first time. Also, how will you use the gun?
And, welcome to the forum. There's lots to read and learn.

Ryno12
10-08-15, 05:58
I hear what you are saying here, but I feel like if I walk into my local gun shop and just buy any basic AR that they have on display, I feel like I would be wasting my money. I want to be able to build a rifle from scratch with all of the parts that I have chosen myself. Now, with that being said, before I commit to buying anything, I am going to do research and get other people input so I can make a educated decision about everything. Also I have read everyone's responses and I want to thank you for replying, it really helps out a lot.

You didn't address the question:
Do you know that what you are attempting to build is a "Short Barreled Rifle" which is classified as a NFA (National Firearms Act) weapon? Do you know what that all entails to legally obtain? You really don't want to be a felon & not know it.

CrazyFingers
10-08-15, 08:39
I am new to the AR15 and whole firearm scene in general.

I want to be able to build a rifle from scratch with all of the parts that I have chosen myself.

These two statements directly contradict each other. People here are giving you great advice when they say "buy a 16-inch Colt, Daniel Defense, or Bravo Company, magazines & ammunition, and shoot it for a while". Not to be mean about it, but you don't know what you don't know. You're assuming that you want an SBR. How do you know this? Are you aware of the functional and legal differences between an SBR and a non-NFA AR-15? If you start with a 16" quality rifle and later decide you do want to SBR it, that is a fairly straight-forward process (depending on where you live). If you start with an SBR and later decide you don't like it, there's a good chance you're going to be out a good chunk of money.

Would you buy a Nissan GTR for your 16-year-old's first car?

cosmo223
10-08-15, 09:16
OP, you are getting good advice. I understand your desire to do research before buying your first AR, and it can be very tempting to take a part by part approach to putting together an AR. However, when you have little personal experience with the AR platform buying a particular trigger, charging handle, pistol grip, rail, etc. just because a couple of guys on the internet told you their "the best" is going to get you a franken gun that is not well suited for what you want to do with an AR. That's also why people are asking you what you intend to do with your gun. An AR that excels at shooting steel plates at 600+ yards is going to look nothing like a gun you want to use for home defense, which will look nothing an all around general purpose gun. Each will likely have different stocks, different barrels, different rails, different triggers and different optics. Plus different people have different preferences. Some people love single stage triggers. Others insist that they would only put a highly tuned two stage trigger on their AR. A lot of people love BCM gunfighter pistol grips - I don't like them at all. A lot of this stuff is a matter of personal preference. But until you have some experience with the AR platform and put a bunch of rounds downrange, you won't have any idea what works for you.

So like most other people, my recommendation would be to get good solid basic AR, Colt, DD, BCM all make excellent rifles, shoot the hell out of it, and figure out what you want to do and enjoy doing with the rifle.

However, if you are bound and determined to build a SBR, I'll open up another can of worms and suggest that you think about ditching the 5.56 round and getting a 300BLK upper. The ballistics are generally better (particularly if you're not shooting past 200 yards). You have a wide variety of ammo available, including subsonic. And if you want to subsequently get a suppressor, the 300 BLK is a better round. Of course, this advice illustrates precisely the danger of your approach. Although this advice may sound appealing, the truth is that the 300BLK cartridge is not very versatile and not a good choice for your first AR.

SteveL
10-08-15, 14:32
Op what part of Florida are you in?

Would you please share with us the list of parts you want to build your rifle out of?

FWIW I argree with everyone else here who is advising you to steer clear of a short barrel rifle as your first foray into the AR world. IMO the added expense and time associated with your tax stamp, as well as the hassle of traveling with it make it more trouble than it's worth for your first rifle. You would be well served by a general purpose 16" rifle, such as the BCM someone linked to above.

TinyCrumb
10-08-15, 15:10
Welcome :)

Personally I think you made a great choice with a Mk 18 build. If you know you already want one, you'll end up with one anyway, so you might as well start there.

As for finding parts, it's fairly easy if you spend some time on it. I'd recommend picking up your lower receiver first and getting your Form 1 started. That way you can hunt for parts while you wait. Last I heard Form 1s are still in the 60 day or so territory, so not bad at all. For the lower, since you'll be SBR'ing this, I'd recommend you get something you'll be happy with long term. I'd highly recommend something mil-spec forged, no billet (for a Mk 18 clone anyway). Colt, KAC, Daniel Defense, and LMT are top notch options. Not a huge fan of BCM due to the PMAG issue, though I know a lot of other people on this forum in particular love them.

DD stopped selling the rail so they could fulfill a .mil contract, so they're a bit hard to find right now. But not too bad. I'd recommend browsing the Marketplace here and the other gun forums and even posting some WTB ads. They seem to be going for around $350 - $450 right now due to their scarcity.

For the upper, again, anything mil-spec forged should work just fine. Damage Industries is having a sale right now on contract, key forge M4 uppers that are forged, M4 feed ramp and T marks already painted for $38. Insane deal.

The other difficult part about a Mk 18 is the barrel. Colt factory 10.3" barrels are available, but can be hard to find and pricey. Daniel Defense makes a stock 10.3" barrel, but some feel it's a bit over-gassed - how important that is is up to you. The third, probably most popular option is to buy any 16" gov profile barrel like a BCM, DD, Colt, LMT, etc… and have a smith chop, thread and open the gas port. ADCO is a fairly popular company that does this and they're reasonable priced. I'd highly recommend against any of the 10.5" factory barrels.

Other than that, just do a lot of reading and keep your eye out for good deals. You'll love the rifle once it's done. They're extremely handy and versatile. You probably won't be ringing steel at 500 with sub MOA precision, but, for anything ~250 and in, they're really fun.

I also have an Instagram account dedicated to pics of these. You can follow it here: https://instagram.com/cqbr/

Here's a buddy shooting mine last weekend:

http://i.imgur.com/J4UqpLZ.jpg

Predator Rises
10-08-15, 16:27
Op what part of Florida are you in?

Would you please share with us the list of parts you want to build your rifle out of?

FWIW I argree with everyone else here who is advising you to steer clear of a short barrel rifle as your first foray into the AR world. IMO the added expense and time associated with your tax stamp, as well as the hassle of traveling with it make it more trouble than it's worth for your first rifle. You would be well served by a general purpose 16" rifle, such as the BCM someone linked to above.
I live in Pensacola and I have not yet fully figured out all of the parts that I'm going to use. Also I am completely aware that there is going to be extra costs & paperwork since I'm buidling an SBR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Predator Rises
10-08-15, 16:40
Welcome :)

Personally I think you made a great choice with a Mk 18 build. If you know you already want one, you'll end up with one anyway, so you might as well start there.

As for finding parts, it's fairly easy if you spend some time on it. I'd recommend picking up your lower receiver first and getting your Form 1 started. That way you can hunt for parts while you wait. Last I heard Form 1s are still in the 60 day or so territory, so not bad at all. For the lower, since you'll be SBR'ing this, I'd recommend you get something you'll be happy with long term. I'd highly recommend something mil-spec forged, no billet (for a Mk 18 clone anyway). Colt, KAC, Daniel Defense, and LMT are top notch options. Not a huge fan of BCM due to the PMAG issue, though I know a lot of other people on this forum in particular love them.

DD stopped selling the rail so they could fulfill a .mil contract, so they're a bit hard to find right now. But not too bad. I'd recommend browsing the Marketplace here and the other gun forums and even posting some WTB ads. They seem to be going for around $350 - $450 right now due to their scarcity.

For the upper, again, anything mil-spec forged should work just fine. Damage Industries is having a sale right now on contract, key forge M4 uppers that are forged, M4 feed ramp and T marks already painted for $38. Insane deal.

The other difficult part about a Mk 18 is the barrel. Colt factory 10.3" barrels are available, but can be hard to find and pricey. Daniel Defense makes a stock 10.3" barrel, but some feel it's a bit over-gassed - how important that is is up to you. The third, probably most popular option is to buy any 16" gov profile barrel like a BCM, DD, Colt, LMT, etc… and have a smith chop, thread and open the gas port. ADCO is a fairly popular company that does this and they're reasonable priced. I'd highly recommend against any of the 10.5" factory barrels.

Other than that, just do a lot of reading and keep your eye out for good deals. You'll love the rifle once it's done. They're extremely handy and versatile. You probably won't be ringing steel at 500 with sub MOA precision, but, for anything ~250 and in, they're really fun.

I also have an Instagram account dedicated to pics of these. You can follow it here: https://instagram.com/cqbr/

Here's a buddy shooting mine last weekend:

http://i.imgur.com/J4UqpLZ.jpg
This is exactly the type of information that I needed, thanks so much man, this is a huge help!

Ryno12
10-08-15, 16:44
Do you have your trust set up already or are going the individual route?

Renegade04
10-08-15, 17:00
Predator Rises, I sent you an e-mail regarding this topic. I am in Pensacola as well.

Predator Rises
10-08-15, 17:30
Predator Rises, I sent you an e-mail regarding this topic. I am in Pensacola as well.
Alright I'll check it out in a sec.

Ryno12
10-08-15, 17:36
Anyone else get the impression that the OP has no clue about NFA laws and/or is planning on side stepping it completely?

Predator Rises
10-08-15, 18:29
Anyone else get the impression that the OP has no clue about NFA laws and/or is planning on side stepping it completely?
You're right. I don't know anything about NFA laws, thats why I came to this forum to get all the info I needed. But I don't plan on "side stepping" anything.

cosmo223
10-08-15, 18:32
Well, since it looks like you are dead set on getting and SBR and building it yourself, I'll try again. If I were you I'd build the lower and buy the upper. Building a lower is relatively easy and there are definitely places you can save some money if you are on a budget. If money is tight you can pick up a blemished Anderson receiver for cheap. For a little more money you can pick up a Spike's Tactical receiver or an Aero Precision receiver. I've built lowers using both and they are well made. For a lower parts kit, I'd just get a standard kit. If you plan on upgrading the trigger and the pistol grip see if you can find a LPK that excludes those items. I know Joe Bob's sells some. For a trigger do you want a single stage or a two stage? Do you know at this point, since you don't have any experience with AR's? I generally prefer two stage triggers. Rock River Arms makes a nice National Match two stage trigger for about $70. If you've got a bigger budget, it's tough to beat a Geissele, but they will be more than double the cost. For the pistol grip, do you want a BCM gunfighter grip, an rubberized ergo grip, is the standard grip ok? Really a matter of personal preference. Same for charging handle - BCM makes a number of nice charging handles, depends on what you want. As far as collapsible stocks, the default stock is probably the Magpul CTR. But there are a ton of other options, depending on what you're looking for. LMT makes a very nice, but pricey stock. Vltor offers a number of stock options that are popular. It really comes down to personal preference and your intended use.

As for uppers, if you are on a very tight budget Radical Arms makes a number of pretty inexpensive uppers. I have one and it runs fine with most ammo. You can probably pick one up for a couple of hundred dollars. At the other end of the spectrum KAC makes some terrific uppers, but at about 4 times the price. And there are a ton of options in between. Daniel Defense. BCM. Noveske. LMT. Larue. You can't go wrong with any of these - although some options will be pricier than others.

Finally, have you thought about an optic? Back up iron sites? Again, what's your budget? On the high end you can't really go wrong with an Aimpoint. Or an Eotech. Vortex makes some great 1x4 and 1x6 scopes. If you're on a budget you can substitute a Primary Arms micro dot for the Aimpoint, and an SWFA scope for the Vortex. But again, so many of these choices turn on your budget, your intended use for the gun and your own personal preferences - none of which we really know.

cosmo223
10-08-15, 18:38
As far as NFA, you're going to have to fill out two forms in duplicate, take both forms to you local police chief. Have him finger print you and fill out a portion of the form. Attach pictures of yourself to the forms. Send to ATF with $200. Wait a couple of months for them to approve you. (I believe you also have to have your receiver engraved).

If you ever want to sell (or transfer) this gun, the purchaser (or transferee) will have to go through this process as well before they take possession of the gun. And you will need to insure that your state permits SBR's - since not all do. And finally, if you ever move to another state, you're going to have to fill out more paperwork to insure your gun remains in compliance.

If you want to add a suppressor down the road, that another form, and another $200 - again assuming your state allows suppressors.

nick84
10-08-15, 18:46
You're right. I don't know anything about NFA laws, thats why I came to this forum to get all the info I needed. But I don't plan on "side stepping" anything.

Don't get the wrong idea. This is a helpful community. But realize that you're not the first new poster to come up and ask a lot of the same questions. Many people give out the same solid advice, but watch it fall upon the eyes and ears of people who end up learning the hard way anyway. NFA is a complicated game, and a serious commitment. If you're new to shooting sports, it would be pretty understandable if you didn't grasp the seriousness of what you're trying to step into.

It seems like you've already made up your mind about what you want to do, and like many, I would advise against an SBR right off the bat. I likewise advise friends against building at all for their first rifle, especially given that you can pick up a DD factory Mk18. The NFA process is easier for a factory gun as well, in my opinion. But you're gonna do what you're gonna do. Good luck, report back on your progress.

Ryno12
10-08-15, 19:25

That's fine but you're putting the cart before the horse. Learn what's all entailed with the NFA process first. You may decide that it's not worth it & scrap the SBR idea. Research that now. If you decide you still want to go through with it, get trust going first (if that's what you decide) so you get start the process to register your lower. You'll have several months to research the rest of your build while your F1 is being processed.

R0CKETMAN
10-08-15, 19:33

You might consider posting your "plan" and requesting feedback. Follow up questions, ect..Dwight D would agree:)

Predator Rises
10-09-15, 06:13
That's fine but you're putting the cart before the horse. Learn what's all entailed with the NFA process first. You may decide that it's not worth it & scrap the SBR idea. Research that now. If you decide you still want to go through with it, get trust going first (if that's what you decide) so you get start the process to register your lower. You'll have several months to research the rest of your build while your F1 is being processed.

Will it be required for me to set up a trust if I own an SBR?

SteveL
10-09-15, 06:26

It can make things much easier. If you don't use a trust for ownership then you are required to submit passport photos, fingerprints, and to have your chief law enforcement officer (local sheriff, police chief, etc.) sign your Form 1/4. None of this is currently required with a trust. If you live in an area where none of your chief law enforcement officers will sign your form (which seems to be most of the country) then a trust or corporation are your only other options. A trust is much simpler and less costly than a corporation.

Tigereye
10-09-15, 06:27
You've gotten lots of solid advice but this is your question. Here's a link to the NFA section https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?9-NFA
Lots of reading and good information. I started typing a response similar to the one I already posted but I realized there's no point.
I hope it all goes well.

Predator Rises
10-09-15, 19:56
It can make things much easier. If you don't use a trust for ownership then you are required to submit passport photos, fingerprints, and to have your chief law enforcement officer (local sheriff, police chief, etc.) sign your Form 1/4. None of this is currently required with a trust. If you live in an area where none of your chief law enforcement officers will sign your form (which seems to be most of the country) then a trust or corporation are your only other options. A trust is much simpler and less costly than a corporation.
Thanks for clarifying, I will definitely look into this more.

Ryno12
10-09-15, 20:55

Sorry, just saw your question.
Looks like SteveL pretty much covered it. As you dig into this more & learn about the additional costs, paperwork, waiting period, etc. you may shift your plans. This is why don't want to start buying parts if you decide to scrap the idea.

Good luck.

C-grunt
10-10-15, 00:14
Also you realize that with the class 3 item you are on a registry and can be inspected by the ATF.

Iraqgunz
10-10-15, 04:25
Start with a standard solidly built 16" carbine. After you have that, have used it and educated yourself on NFA and other stuff take the next step.

Renegade04
10-10-15, 15:25
Thanks for clarifying, I will definitely look into this more.

I went the route of submitting the Form 1 application (had Sheriff Morgan sign off on it), photos, fingerprints, and the $200. The forms are available on the internet. I picked up a couple fingerprint cards from a Class III dealer friend of mine. I had the fingerprints done at the Sheriff's Dept. The only thing about doing things the long way is that you have to wait a little longer. Unless you are planning on doing a few NFA items, a trust is not always warranted.

Predator Rises
11-05-15, 23:50
I went the route of submitting the Form 1 application (had Sheriff Morgan sign off on it), photos, fingerprints, and the $200. The forms are available on the internet. I picked up a couple fingerprint cards from a Class III dealer friend of mine. I had the fingerprints done at the Sheriff's Dept. The only thing about doing things the long way is that you have to wait a little longer. Unless you are planning on doing a few NFA items, a trust is not always warranted.
Hey sorry to get back to you like this, I have been really busy lately with work & school. But I would definitely like to talk to you more about this. Also I was wondering, if I were to go the SBR route, would I be able to get signoff on the form 1 from Sherriff Morgan? And I have no person connection with anyone in law enforecement, so how difficult would it be? Thanks.

Travis B
11-06-15, 04:45
OP, if you don't take the advice for a factory built 16" gun then listen to Tigereye. Every question you have about NFA has been answered in the NFA section, you can search on your own time instead of waiting for replies.

You've gotten lots of solid advice but this is your question. Here's a link to the NFA section https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?9-NFA
Lots of reading and good information. I started typing a response similar to the one I already posted but I realized there's no point.
I hope it all goes well.

tb-av
11-06-15, 09:36
If you want to build something, build the lower.

You can get a stripped lower and then get a parts kit, or if you really want to try it, order each individual part that is needed for the lower. But several places will sell you the kit.. someone posted G&R tactical above, he has them.

Then go to BravoCompanyUSA and buy a complete lightweight 16" upper w/FSB. Probably you will just keep it once you figure out what you ultimately want, but, if not... all you have to do is take it apart and get the barrel off. Much of the other stuff you will simply re-use or change out as needed depending on how you decide to rebuild it.

Then buy used cheap furniture for it. Spend as little on that as possible.. Now you have a really good basic rifle that would last most people a lifetime.

Make a spreadsheet that you can notate. Or a document that is spreadsheet and text. There is a ton of little detail info out there, it's scattered all over the place in many threads. It's not like there is a recipe section of the forum. It's more like, someone mentions .. 'I put this spice in my cookies' and that could be buried in a 20 page thread. IOW, if you knew where to look and what your were looking for, you might find it ... but you don't yet know either. I've read things one year and thought, I wonder why that's important, then a year later read another thread and it becomes clear but you kinda need a rifle built in your hands to help understand... I mean it's everything from where you attach your strap to the angle of a hand grip. It's a ton of little details that -might- concern you... but you won't know until you have a rifle in hand. Are you opposite eye dominant by any chance... some will tell you it doesn't matter... it troubles me, I can barely shoot right handed with a red dot. Oddly left handed feels kinda natural which I would not have expected.... would I now want ambi-controls? It's just an endless list of things you would never think would be an issue... and that's before you get to the intricate stuff.

I knew absolutely zero a couple years ago... it has taken me to now to want to have an SBR and I -still- have doubts and concerns about just what I want or why.... and I've read a ton of these threads. I have actually thought that the easiest thing for me would simply be to pay someone to write me recipe and either build it as well or I take recipe and build the upper. ... and now I have started looking at the 300 BLK and that's another rabbit hole. If you have plenty of money just buy a lot of them, but trying to learn from zero knowledge and build the perfect keeper recipe is quite a task.

Anyway that's been my experience from someone that was recently where you are. Building the lower was easy and I got a nice DD beveled mag stripped lower which I think is not easily done any longer. You would think all the rest would be easy but I have found all the choices and reasons for the choices to be quite an ordeal.... unless you can just afford to buy many and whatever you want.

Predator Rises
11-23-15, 14:39
Good news everyone! As you guys know I originally wanted to build a MK18, and originally, started making a list of the parts I was going to use, but then I started to realize that it was getting way too expensive and just recently scrapped that list because it was not going to be worth it. With that being said, about 3-4 days ago I started making a new list for a BCM 16". As of now, I have basically completed the list with the exception of all the accessories. And either today or tomorrow I plan on ordering the upper from BCM. I just want to thank everyone in this thread for their input. I know you guys were only trying to show me in the right direction. I'm sorry I didn't listen. :cray:

Airhasz
11-23-15, 15:55
Order a bcm 16"elw upper with a 15" kmr hand guard and you will be very happy IMHO.

Predator Rises
11-23-15, 16:04
What is the difference between the elw upper and a normal upper? are there any major differences?

GH41
11-23-15, 16:07
Lower weight for livelier handling without sacrificing much of anything.

teutonicpolymer
11-23-15, 16:10
I wouldn't jump into NFA but building an AR15 from parts is not that hard although most on this site just immediately say buy a 6920

Even if I were to buy instead of build in your shoes, I wouldn't buy a 6920 because I would prefer other options and know what I like

If you want to stick with Daniel defense esque stuff then perhaps look at westernsport (I think that is the name) as they have a special on a DD rifle for $1100, I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I had the money

Predator Rises
11-23-15, 16:15
Lower weight for livelier handling without sacrificing much of anything.

Yeah I'm going to look more into it right now but it sounds interesting.

Predator Rises
11-23-15, 16:21
Order a bcm 16"elw upper with a 15" kmr hand guard and you will be very happy IMHO.

Is there that much of difference where I should spend more money to get a lighter receiver?

Predator Rises
11-23-15, 16:23
I wouldn't jump into NFA but building an AR15 from parts is not that hard although most on this site just immediately say buy a 6920

Even if I were to buy instead of build in your shoes, I wouldn't buy a 6920 because I would prefer other options and know what I like

If you want to stick with Daniel defense esque stuff then perhaps look at westernsport (I think that is the name) as they have a special on a DD rifle for $1100, I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I had the money

Yeah I'm not attempting to build an SBR anymore, I'm working on getting a BCM 16" together right now.

Airhasz
11-23-15, 20:04
Is there that much of difference where I should spend more money to get a lighter receiver?

Not sure what you are asking.

Predator Rises
11-23-15, 21:58
Not sure what you are asking.

I was wondering if I should spend the extra money on the elw upper, but I already figured it out. I plan on ordering the 16" ELW KMR Alpha upper first thing tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

GH41
11-24-15, 06:28
I was wondering if I should spend the extra money on the elw upper, but I already figured it out. I plan on ordering the 16" ELW KMR Alpha upper first thing tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

When UPS delivers it you will probably think box is empty.

Predator Rises
11-24-15, 19:33
When UPS delivers it you will probably think box is empty.

lol that's hilarious, but yeah I saw a bunch of people saying how light weight it is.

Airhasz
11-24-15, 21:21
Members here have success at 1000 yards with that upper. :shout:

Predator Rises
11-24-15, 22:05
Members here have success at 1000 yards with that upper. :shout:
Wow, thats very impressive, but I don't plan on shooting at 1000 yards any time soon. I am fairly new to firearms and have never even shot an Ar-15 before.

C-grunt
11-24-15, 22:36
Wow, thats very impressive, but I don't plan on shooting at 1000 yards any time soon. I am fairly new to firearms and have never even shot an Ar-15 before.

Well.... welcome to the world of the AR15.

Suggestion. Once you get your rifle in a basic setup, ie sights (irons or optic), magazines, and sling. Go get some training from a reputable source. Also remember, just because some dude has a YouTube channel and a training company doesnt mean he knows what he is talking about.

Predator Rises
11-24-15, 22:45
Well.... welcome to the world of the AR15.

Suggestion. Once you get your rifle in a basic setup, ie sights (irons or optic), magazines, and sling. Go get some training from a reputable source. Also remember, just because some dude has a YouTube channel and a training company doesnt mean he knows what he is talking about.
Thanks, and I will be sure to keep this in mind.