PDA

View Full Version : Care and feeding question - VP9

Ice_Pick
10-05-15, 00:56
I took my wife to the LGS last week, to let her pick out a new pistol.

The options I let her choose from: Gen4 G19, M&P-9, PPQ and VP-9...

She thought that the VP-9 fit her hand the best. (PPQ was a close second)

Before I take the plunge and get it for us (her) are there any known issues with it's proper care and feeding? dis-assembly issues?

The only pistol we own now is a Gen-3 G17, and obviously, I find it's upkeep/maintanance to be fairly easy. Any pit-falls I'm in for?

kihnspiracy
10-05-15, 01:19
The VP9 is a superb pistol. I bought one. Accurate, reliable, easy to shoot. The wife liked it so much that I bought a second one for her. We have since sold all of our Glock's. Mags can be a little pricey. I was fortunate enough to buy a bunch for $25 each when the VP9 was first announced. Now the going rate seems to be around $40 plus each.

Mr blasty
10-05-15, 01:26
Absolutely in love with mine and it prints bugholes. Treat it like a glock. Mine eats everything including garbage steel case just fine and asks for more. Easier to disassemble than a glock and it will take the same cleaning and lube schedule. If it feels right in your hands then just go for it. It absolutely out classes the glock and takes the same punishment just fine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Ice_Pick
10-05-15, 02:34
The VP9 is a superb pistol. I bought one. Accurate, reliable, easy to shoot. The wife liked it so much that I bought a second one for her. We have since sold all of our Glock's. Mags can be a little pricey. I was fortunate enough to buy a bunch for $25 each when the VP9 was first announced. Now the going rate seems to be around $40 plus each.

I have to admit, it felt pretty sweet in my hand as well, I'm afraid that I may end up doing the same thing... and I just stocked up on Glock mags...

One follow-up question. Are the factory night-sights any good? Or am I better off going with after-market?

slappy
10-05-15, 05:07
They're Meprolight Tru-Dot's. I've not had any issues with mine, but I prefer the two dot sights vs the three dot systems. I've never heard anything bad about the Meprolight sights though. Personal preference really.

Flatland
10-05-15, 11:55
I have 2000 through my VP-9 so far and no issues. I will run another 800 in a 2 day class this week which I am looking forward to. The factory and LE night sights are not bad however I decided to go with a 10-8 fiber optic front and have not looked back.

bear13
10-05-15, 23:59
Mine has been perfect. I did run some 124grn fmj when I first got her though. Probably not necessary but my fns broke in nicely with the 124grn and figured it would not hurt. By now I have ran steel, brass, some hps and it has just kept trucking. I put trijicon hds on and love them. Vp9 is a very nice pistol. Extremely accurate and easy to shoot. I have never seen so many people pick up one gun and be consistent right off the bat.

RUSKI
10-06-15, 00:34
I took my wife to the LGS last week, to let her pick out a new pistol.

The options I let her choose from: Gen4 G19, M&P-9, PPQ and VP-9...

She thought that the VP-9 fit her hand the best. (PPQ was a close second)

Before I take the plunge and get it for us (her) are there any known issues with it's proper care and feeding? dis-assembly issues?
The only pistol we own now is a Gen-3 G17, and obviously, I find it's upkeep/maintanance to be fairly easy. Any pit-falls I'm in for?

I love mine. I have held off on getting a second due to buying a house, but I do plan on buying a second one. I have fed it all types of crap ammo I own(Wolf) and various other brands. No feeding, ejection, issues. Not one stoppage. I love my other pistols and do carry a SR9C when the rare warm weather hits my part of the world. The VP9 is almost always my "Go To" for EDC. I do not carry it on hunts because it is a 9mm and I prefer the piece of mind of carrying my Gen4 G21. Cleaning and disassembly is easy as can be.

Helix12
10-09-15, 15:31
I have to admit, it felt pretty sweet in my hand as well, I'm afraid that I may end up doing the same thing... and I just stocked up on Glock mags...

One follow-up question. Are the factory night-sights any good? Or am I better off going with after-market?

I have the law enforcement version. Only difference is that it comes with an extra magazine and Trijicon night sights. I really like these sights a lot. I have Tris on a couple of other guns and I have been happy with them. The law enforcement version costs a bit more, but if you add up the cost of an extra magazine and the Trijicon sights it is worth it. I bought mine through GunBroker for $685. Local dealers have a hard time keeping the VP9 in stock. The only LE version I saw locally sold in the 4 hours I vacillated on whether to buy it or not.

As far as any issues, I haven't experience any nor have I read about any on the various shooting forums I haunt. This is the first H&K gun I have owned myself. My son has a USP full size in .45 which he loves. The quality of these two H&K guns, the USP and VP9, is evident. I like my VP9 enough that if they come out with a compact version I'll find the money to buy it. That is, unless Walther beats them to it and releases a compact PPQ first. I like both those handguns enough that the first one to release a compact version gets my dollars.

Evel Baldgui
10-09-15, 17:54
I have a vp9, went through two different classes +/- 2000 rds, no issues, put about 1000 prior to that, no issues. Upon my return home, purchased another one. The second one, approx 600 rds., no issues. Fury holsters makes a perfect fit owb concealment and AIWB if such is what you prefer. Mags pricey, so what? What isn't ? You pay for quality, get a bunch, they will last a while. Approx 400 of those rds were Tula and wolf ammo, again no problems were experienced. The vp9 has replaced my g19 as my edc; just as reliable and so much more accurate!

Mauser KAR98K
10-10-15, 23:43
HK has a thing of no aluminum cased ammo due to the stepped chamber. Feeds steel and brass all day long.

Seek out the LE package version for the mags and Mepro trinium night sights. The glow in dark sights are bright, but need to be charged and only last fir about 15 minutes.

I have about 2,500 or more rounds through my LE VP9, 200 rounds through my VP40, and 300 rounds through a second VP9. The VP9 does get a little warmer after a good hard range session over my USP.

Disassembly is easy and safer than the Glock. The mechanics and detail strip is a lot more complicated than a Glock.

I love my VP9. It goes with me on every range trip. But my USP9 or 45 are still my go too and carry. Have 8,000+ rounds through the USP9.

titsonritz
10-11-15, 20:31
Every chick I've taken out shooting preferred my VP9 over my Glock 19. They all said they liked the small grip inserts and found it easier to rack the slide (I assumed the slide inserts helps out).

The VP9 is a good gun, you won't be disappointed unless you are looking for a small gun to conceal.