PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose new Glock Sights

SuicideHz
10-03-06, 08:31
I recently found out from speaking to a Kimber rep why my Glock 32 shoots high. My rear sight is the wrong part for my particular pistol. I bought it from Lone Wolf Distributors almost three years ago. It never seemed to be much of a problem until I recently (this summer) started shooting better and at a little longer distances. Previously I only shot on an indoor range at 15 feet or so. I thought it was just me...:(

Now I know better.

$47.50 for a new Meprolight rear sight in yellow but at the correct height for my pistol. That is shipped.

Or, I could try out the new TruGlo TFO fiber optic/tritium sights or even something else.

I'd like to try something a little smoother and low profile but I'd also like adustable sights but might not know any better.

I've also had the idea in the past that a set of straight 8's would be better suited for me because I hate lining up the three dots. But recently I've read a little more on proper shooting techniques and it doesn't sound so hard or much like "extra work" once you get the fundamentals nailed...

Please school me on the subject and help me with my options.

This is a daily carry gun. I do enjoy taking it to the range and trying to hit targets at 25yds.

thanks,

Joe

USMC03
10-03-06, 09:51
I have used a large majority of the sights avalible on the market today (trijicon, mepro, Aero-tech, Novak, XS Big Dot, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc)

I now run either Heinie Straight 8's or Heinie Slant Pro (same thing as the Straight 8's without the tritium inserts) on all but 1 of my Glocks and have been running the Heinie sights for the last 3+ years.

It comes down to personal preference, but for me the Heinie's provide clear sight picture that is easy to acquire under stress.

LOKNLOD
10-03-06, 09:55
I currently have Mepro 3-dot tritiums on my G17. I like them, but I run into the rear dots drawing my eyes away from the front. On my next range trip I'm going to try some electrical tape across the rear sight to see if no rear dots would help. If that works out, I think I will try a set of the Warren Tactical sights from I-Shot with the tritium front and plain rear. I haven't had an opportunity to try the Heinie's so I can't comment on them.

David Thomas
10-03-06, 10:36
In the daytime, nothing is faster for me than the factory GLOCK sights.

For night sights I am interested in the Novak bar/dot sights. I like them in theory and bet that they would be pretty fast, but have not had a chance to shoot with them.

SethB
10-03-06, 11:06
I like the Yost Bonitz for one handed manipulation.

SuicideHz
10-03-06, 13:35
What happens if I want to leave my front Meprolight in place because it's still big and bright and secure?

I'm concerned with the different manufacturers having different rear heights- that's how I got into this situation.

Jeff- I wouldn't mind running the slant pros. I'm thinking maybe just plain black rears will be just fine.

I will be installing the adjustable rear factory sight and using a sharpie to color in the white bar. Maybe I'll shoot it with the outline. We'll see how it goes from there.

Dave- I'm in the same boat. I like the "idea" of a rear bar and http://www.ptnightsights.com/ has a few to select from but it seems they sell in sets and I think or hope I will only need a rear.

SethB- one hand manipulation?

Sam
10-03-06, 15:42
Glock factory sights are aweful. The front post is too wide, the rear notch is too narrow. Slow to pick up. That's why Dave Sevigny used Heinie then switched to Scott Warren's sights then he made his own.

Link below to Warren and Sevigny sights.

http://www.ishot-inc.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=45

SethB
10-03-06, 17:08
The factory, Meprolight and some of the other aftermarket sights allow you to use the sight to rack the gun one handed. Use your belt, boot, a table, console, anything you can think of.

Heinies make it more difficult, though not impossible.

On my 1911 with Heinies, I use the ejection port.

Sam
10-03-06, 17:25
I never had any problems with using Heinie sights on my 1911s or Glock 19 to rack the slide.

USMC03
10-03-06, 18:29
Seth,

I just went through a firearms instructor in-service training and we had to perform a lot of 1 handed slide racking. I had no problems with the Heinie Slant Pros using my holster, belt, buckle, shoe heel, or barricade.

DBautista
10-03-06, 21:50
I just went through a firearms instructor in-service training and we had to perform a lot of 1 handed slide racking. I had no problems with the Heinie Slant Pros using my holster, belt, buckle, shoe heel, or barricade.

Are they high enough to clear a suppressor? I am also looking for something other than the stock sights, they are almost unusable behind the suppressor.

David Thomas
10-03-06, 22:27
Glock factory sights are aweful. The front post is too wide, the rear notch is too narrow. Slow to pick up. That's why Dave Sevigny used Heinie then switched to Scott Warren's sights then he made his own.

Link below to Warren and Sevigny sights.

http://www.ishot-inc.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=45

Sam,
You are not the first to disagree with me re: the glock factory sights. I tried the Sevigny sights sold by ishot. I found them to allow more precise shots at longer ranges (I am talking 50+ yards on steel), but found them slower on targets within 50 yards than the factory sights. Which goes to show one needs to try as many options as possible - first hand. Also shows that I am no where near as good as Sevigny.

SuicideHz,

looks like the website you listed has a ton of options. I had never seen that web-site; thanks for the link. I may try some of those.

SuicideHz
10-03-06, 22:36
Wow! Is is just me or is there WAY too much room in the rear notch?

http://www.ishot-inc.com/images/SIG6.jpg

And that's with the camera farther back than your eyes would be, making it not quite as bad...

http://www.ishot-inc.com/images/pix-WTS-SevignyC-4.jpg

Wayne Dobbs
10-04-06, 05:32
Suicide,

It's you. Most sight manufacturers have ignored their homework and what their products need to do on service pistols for a long time. Your eyes will work more efficiently and faster if there is a bar of light of at least one half the perceived front sight blade width on either side of the front sight. No practical accuracy is lost from this.

Take a look at what the best shooters out there are using and they are using THIN front sights and wider notches in the rear. On most guns you should think in terms of a rear notch about .015" wider than your front. IOW, a .125" front needs about a .140" rear notch diameter.

Try the dimensions out and I think you'll find that you see a sight picture MUCH faster than one of those that the front sight fills the rear notch...

Robb Jensen
10-04-06, 05:38
Dave Sevigny just used a set like the 2nd set shown for a 1st place win at the USPSA Limited Nationals on a Glock 35.

He beat guys like Todd Jarrett, Rob Leatham, Chris Tilley, Phil Stader, and Travis Tomasie.

On my Glock 17, 34 and STI Limited gun I use Scott Warren (Warren Tactical) rear sights and Dawson fiber optic front sights. The front sight widths are .100" on the STI and .105" on the Glocks. I have a Dawson .100" on my Sprinfield Armory 1911 with a Novak rear. I just ordered a 10-8 rear to replace Novak rear on my 1911.

SuicideHz
10-04-06, 08:30
Ok, makes sense and I'll trust you guys.

So, is it the factory rear notches that are too narrow or the front post that are too wide?

I'm thinking the rear notch is too narrow and I should be fine just ordering a Sevigny Carry Rear will be perfect. Or, do you think the Warren Tactical Rear would be better. It sure looks sexier.

The SETS are each $50 or $70 with Trji fronts. But, I have my Meprolight front and compared to a Trijicon, I HATE Trijicons. I think I like the first sight picture I showed.

What do you think of my most recent idea?

On a side note, how do you guys go about carrying a single spare magazine?

I am currently carrying with a (ghasp) Clip Draw- Mexican Style. It's very comfortable in all conditions and it's best this way in the office where sometimes I lean forward while drawing. So, how do I carry an extra mag? Single Kydex IWB or something?

Thanks for answering my questions. Just so you know, M4Carbine is where I come when I have a question and need it answered. I go other places like TOS and Glocktalk to entertain myself.

Wayne Dobbs
10-04-06, 08:48
With regard to your question on notches being too narrow or front sights being too thick, the answer is "yes". I GUESS I can see a .125" front, but that sure covers up a lot of target area when I'm trying to make a tight or long shot. There are lots of choices out there between .100-.110 that should meet your needs, although if you want tritium you will have to accept a thicker front.

The Sevigny vs. Warren is a pick your own poison AFAIC.

I don't know why you love Meprolite better than Trijicon. It may be because it's bigger and sometimes a little brighter. You WILL however, be buying a replacement sight much sooner with Meprolite. I've been watching and using night sights for about 17 years and have been training pistol about 27 years. I watched literally hundreds of night sight sets in serious and heavy use for those years and there is no doubt at all that Trijicon is the ONLY one you want if you want quality and dependability over the long haul. Meps turn fuzzy and/or turn OFF quickly after being carried a lot, cleaned a lot, etc. What looks hot and sweet right now is going to be the ugly gal on the block in a short period of time. Get what works and Trijicon (and those who use their elements in their own sights, i. e., Heinie) are the best over a long haul. If you gun is a toy or not carried or used heavily, it won't matter much what you use.

SuicideHz
10-04-06, 09:21
It's not used heavily but is carried.

Yes, I am drawn to my meprolight because it is "pretty" and has been for 3 years. I've seen 1 year old Trijicons that look like absolute $hit because someone tried to clean the dirt out of the holes and cleaned the white out or darkened the white. I've seen the white pretty damn dirty too and haven't heard of a good way to keep them clean and bright. To me, there either ought to be white that is easily identifiable or none at all- not a brownish/gray $shitty looking ring between green tritium and a black front sight blade.

You are saying I should just cought up the extra $20 and get the matching front post?

Sam
10-04-06, 10:17
So, is it the factory rear notches that are too narrow or the front post that are too wide?

Yes to both. Like others have posted, either widen the rear notch or whittle off the front. When I was shooting a G17, I left the rear Heinie alone and had a guy thin out the front to 0.10". On one of my 1911s, I had my 'smith thin the front as much as possible and still have enough metal to hold a tritium lamp. The front of that 1911 sight was thin out to 0.108" and we sent the sight off to a tritium lamp manufacturer in Texas (can't remember the name).

SuicideHz
10-04-06, 12:48
I asked the rep how wide my front Meprolight blade is and am waiting for a response.

Robb Jensen
10-04-06, 12:50
I asked the rep how wide my front Meprolight blade is and am waiting for a response.

Almost always .125"

SuicideHz
10-04-06, 13:29
Just found out it is .155" wide.

Now what?

Wayne Dobbs
10-04-06, 14:06
Suicide,

As the gal said, "that's a big one!"

And, it's way too big for serious work. If you're a hacker, it don't matter. If you are serious or are trying to get that way, get rid of that and replace it with something that works. There are lots of choices, but if you want a great night sight (front) that's of a usable width, consider getting one of Richard Heinie's excellent replacement front night sights (www.heinie.com).

His sights have NO white outlines (which is best for serious work), are machined from bar stock and have Trijicon inserts. If you buy one and don't like it, I will buy it from you. If you give it a serious test, I doubt that you'll be selling it to me...

SuicideHz
10-04-06, 14:18
Yeah, I just saw that the I-shot Warren and Sevigny sights that I thought were wide are only 0.150" wide!!! Damn. Can't use my front sight with them and probably not with any others.

So, choices now are:

1.) Warren Tactical- Plain Rear & Trijicon Front for $70. 0.125" wide front, .150" wide notch rear. Same price at I-shot or Gunracing.com. GR.com has a nice front install tool for $5.

2.) ?

Wayne Dobbs
10-04-06, 14:24
Suicide,

Lots of these choices are learning experiences. I would say that the Warren sight set will give you very good service and actual shooting results. Both vendors are good to go, but I-Shot is a forum sponsor. You might call them and see if they give M4C members a bit of a break.

Wayne