PDA

View Full Version : Need some input, especially SE florida area

vigilant2
07-30-08, 12:41
Hi All,
I plan on attending my first carbine course in Oct (Bushido Tactical) in Orlando. I recently (3 wks ago) purchased one of the new Charles Daly CDM4/LE carbines. I've since augmented it with an Aimpoint M3/AD mount,DD Omega rail,GG+G MAD buis,Magpul MIAD, CTR,15 P-Mags. Will be ordering a Surefire M900a and Vickers 2-point sling within the next 2 weeks. This along with my 2 Springfield XD's is what I plan to attend the course with. Ammo will likely be a mix of American Eagle 55gr (red box),Black Hills 55gr (red) and XM193 that I have on hand.
Now the question(s). I have a RRA enrty tactical 5.56mm that I purchased before I started reading the M4carbine forums. I purchased it used with "under 500 rounds through it" it came with a TD VG,and freefloat tacrails. I've shot approx 250 rnds through it . Its a tacdriver @100yrds with the Millet DMS-1 at the sheriffs range. I want to take this carbine with me as a backup for the CD.
I planned on purchasing 2 spare bolts, one for the CD and one for the RRA. For the RRA I was going to purchase one of Grants CTR mil-sprc packages with the H-Buffer and a BCM Bolt-carrier group. Which BCG should I get for each carbine? Will it be drop in,or do I need to have headspacing checked with both rifles.
Lastly, although I've learned tons here at this forum, I don't feel I'm ready to
check this myself much less install the CTR package. If Rob or anyone else in the SE florida area could recommend a gunsmith in the Palm Bch-Ft.Lauderdale area that knows his AR's it would help tremendously:D
Thanks all for any input.

rob_s
07-30-08, 13:56
Couple of things, not necessarily what you asked:

1) I'd skip the M900A. Take the Tango down vert grip off of the RRA gun and get yourself a Surefire X300 instead. Run it on the left side of the Omega rail if you run you left thumb on that side, and on the right side if you run your left thumb on that side. The 900A is heavy and from what I understand Bushido will run you. No sense in having extra weight.

2) Take a look at the padded Vickers. I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason NOT to use the padded now that I have one.

3) I wouldn't bother with two spare BCGs and would only get one. BCM, LMT, or one of Grant's would all be fine. No need to worry about headspace IMHO.

4) I also wouldn't bother changing out the stock parts on the RRA. At best I'd change the stock to a CTR and just get the commercial version, but frankly the stock on any gun is the last thing I'd change.

5) If you haven't already, get the hell rid of the A2 grip on both guns. Tango Down or Magpul MIAD would be good alternatives, as would the new Magpul MOE that's only $20. If you go with the MOE or the MIAD, also get yourself a gapper (search on brownells.com for "gapper" and order a bunch, they're cheap).

Finally, I am 99% sure I'll be at Markham Park on Tuesday 5 August for TSSA rifle/pistol drills if you want to come by and get some more practice with your carbine. Even if I'm not there, the drills should still go on.

jackinfl
07-30-08, 20:22
vigilant2,
I am in the fort lauderdale area. I can help you with your needs. Also, check out my company for possble training oppurtunties. We just finished a successful Carbine 2 class at the PBSO range.

the website is www.ontargettactical.com

Jack

If I can help you just ask.

vigilant2
07-31-08, 20:39
Thanks Rob and Jack
I already have Magpul Miad Full Grip kits on both carbines. After reading your
response I did a search on the M900a and will take your advice and pass on it.
I'll either get the x300 or a new Vltor offset mount with a G2l or G3L and mount it at 10-11o'clock on the left side. I'll get the one BCG for now, but I'd still like to upgrade the RRA down the road. I'll definitely try out the Vickers padded sling.
I will try to make it down to Markam Park on Tuesday. Can anyone recommend a good chest rig (multi-cam pattern preferred:D) or would that be overkill
for my first carbine course?
Jack, after checking out your site I will definitely be in touch,I see you're an armorer. I certainly will want to attend your handgun and carbine courses,also I have a bolt action Mossberg 100ATR (.30-06)w 6-24x44mm scope that I could use some training on in your precision rifle course:). Your location and prices are definitely "doable" for me. Thanks again