PDA

View Full Version : Acog mounted farther out question

boombotz401
10-05-15, 17:24
Hey fellas

I've been messing around with different solutions for close fire with a TA31

Rmr on top... Just too awkward and kept hitting my forehead on the thing

Offset irons... Good concept but limited in odd angle shots

Anyway I tried mounting the optic farther away from the eye.. One slot from farthest out on the receiver stock 3 clicks back. It seems to cancel out some of the magnification enough for rds like snapshots while still enough view longer range.

May be a silly question but I'm determined to make this optic work I've tried them all from aimpoints to Elcans and I love the ta31. Looking for the best compromise close/long range

Anyone else tried and tested this and noticed any pros or cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveL
10-05-15, 17:38
Magnified optics have a set eye relief. That's just the way it is. Trying to utilize one where your eye is not at the proper distance from the ocular lens will be difficult and will not yield the best results. Put it where it needs to be for proper eye relief and practice with it until you're comfortable with using it up close.

JC5188
10-05-15, 17:45
Just got mine out, and doing it the way you describe I can't get enough FOV to make me happy.

Using it normally, I literally have to get the eye relief so close that it tickles my eyelashes to get the full FOV. Sounds like yo need a good 1-4 imo.

My setup:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/05/c951d3c6cc2c1a63414084585083c34c.jpg

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone

boombotz401
10-05-15, 17:49
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/05/eb0f26eea680b1113e18cc66ad9378fd.jpg

I have thought about a 1-4 and will be putting an accupoint on another carbine at some point but I'm determined to master the Acog first lol. I've had it for a good while but only recently have I tried to push speed from it

Thanks...scanning weak eye up close and taking quick shots is fast but we're I'm slowing down is raising the rifle up with the target already in sight for a quick snap shot

Seemed when I raised it up quick the chevron was there without the 4x but when I went NTCH the fov was there. Weird to explain but is almost like I can cancel out the 4x when I want this way

Looking at google images it seemed some guys were holding way past eye relief in the field and I just wondering if there was any warrant to that

sevenhelmet
10-05-15, 18:22
How close is close? My carbine/TA-31 setup really shines from 25-200 yards, but I have found that- with practice- I can reliably shoulder my 16" barrel carbine and acquire targets as close as 7 yards as fast as I can with irons. I just keep both eyes open and have no problems, even when shooting from a covered firing line into full sun. I have found that my performance behind the TA-31 is sensitive to stock adjustment in that it effects eye position, but having found a stock setting that works, I am loving my TA-31/carbine target setup.

boombotz401
10-05-15, 18:26
Close as 10-30 yards

Anything under that I consider point and shoot, setup the right way I think it has the potential to be very fast

Iraqgunz
10-05-15, 18:35
Having been using the ACOG for several years, my issue was always with the optic being mounted too far forward. The KRAM from Macedon Defense solves that issue for me and allows me to also have a rear BUIS mounted.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/iraqgunz/IMG_2591.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/user/iraqgunz/media/IMG_2591.jpg.html)

sevenhelmet
10-05-15, 18:42
Close as 10-30 yards

Anything under that I consider point and shoot, setup the right way I think it has the potential to be very fast

Set it up with proper eye relief, train, and you should be good to go.

boombotz401
10-05-15, 19:27
Has anyone tried the gg&g accuccam mount? I would hate to replace my larue mount but I have thought about flipping the cover when I know I'm doing extended close range shooting.... Having just the front quick cover would super impose the Chevron eliminate any possibility of washout and literally be rds fast. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/05/51f09de9b194da4eeeb6049f51130c8a.jpg

JC5188
10-05-15, 19:33
How close is close? My carbine/TA-31 setup really shines from 25-200 yards, but I have found that- with practice- I can reliably shoulder my 16" barrel carbine and acquire targets as close as 7 yards as fast as I can with irons. I just keep both eyes open and have no problems, even when shooting from a covered firing line into full sun. I have found that my performance behind the TA-31 is sensitive to stock adjustment in that it effects eye position, but having found a stock setting that works, I am loving my TA-31/carbine target setup.

This is my experience as well. My other rifles I slide the stock out as far as it will go. With the ACOG mounted, I've found two clicks off of fully collapsed give proper eye relief when shouldering the rifle quickly.

Sent from my iPhone

JC5188
10-05-15, 19:40
Has anyone tried the gg&g accuccam mount? I would hate to replace my larue mount but I have thought about flipping the cover when I know I'm doing extended close range shooting.... Having just the front quick cover would super impose the Chevron eliminate any possibility of washout and literally be rds fast. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/05/51f09de9b194da4eeeb6049f51130c8a.jpg

Are you just wanting the covers, and the mount is a by-product required to have them? Or do you also want the mount itself? I'm not sure I understand what you goal is with this.

No I've not used this setup.

If you just want flip covers, the RCO kill flash is made specifically for this optic and has flips that wouldn't require a different mount.

Sent from my iPhone

sevenhelmet
10-05-15, 20:55
Has anyone tried the gg&g accuccam mount? I would hate to replace my larue mount but I have thought about flipping the cover when I know I'm doing extended close range shooting.... Having just the front quick cover would super impose the Chevron eliminate any possibility of washout and literally be rds fast.

I have my TA31 mounted on the GG&G. No issues so far- has held zero so far between range sessions and during QR removal/reinstallation. I probably have 500 rounds on that particular setup.

I don't use scope covers on my ACOG, just the supplied neoprene sock when I put it away.

samuse
10-05-15, 21:37
I've used an ACOG enough to think that I liked 'em.

I've used a 1-4 enough to know that I'll never willingly use another ACOG.

I just never can get comfortable behind an ACOG like I can with more eye relief.

thmpr
10-05-15, 21:55
I use GDI mounts to properly mount it for proper eye relief.

boombotz401
10-25-15, 13:29
I use GDI mounts to properly mount it for proper eye relief.

Am I missing something about gdi mounts that a laure won't do?

samuse
10-25-15, 16:52

LaRue makes a mount just for getting the ACOG further back. They work well, I heard the USMC bought a few... LaRue gives away stuff on the TOS and everyone here gets their panties in a wad when you mention 'em.

boombotz401
10-25-15, 17:18
Nothing bad to say about larue here the Acog is mounted on an lt622 and works perfectly along with a 9" larue free float I just slapped on.

Was just curious when he mentioned gdi.

Was fooling around with a chevron ta33 and was amazed how much faster I was so I Ordered a ta33 green horseshoe

I'm thinking the lower power along with the eo tech like reticle will be an excellent all around.

As I said before I'm not giving up much speed at all with the 31 with practice and it will stay on that rifle but in comps seconds count!

c713
10-26-15, 22:11
When we were first messing with RCOs (ACOGs) at combat training they taught us about the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC). There's a pretty good write up here: http://www.thenewrifleman.com/trijicon-acog-is-bac-practical/

JSantoro
11-03-15, 14:38
No. GDI makes an extremely strong mount, and priced to match; they're solid as hell, but there's no magic in them.

The Corps bought into the KRAM or something very like it for the reasons IG mentioned, above. Getting eye relief with all body types plus armor on an M4 was most often a simple question of stock position; add the inclusion of a rear BUIS across the board to that and all the M16A4s (near impossible for the various homunculi to get proper eye relief), a material solution that provided a greater range of adjustability was needed.

Pushing an ACOG variant forward, deliberately...? One's positive results are one's positive results, but it'd be a mistake to identify that as a feature or any kind of trend in how the device is designed to be used.

Digital_Damage
11-03-15, 15:58
No. GDI makes an extremely strong mount, and priced to match; they're solid as hell, but there's no magic in them.

The Corps bought into the KRAM or something very like it for the reasons IG mentioned, above. Getting eye relief with all body types plus armor on an M4 was most often a simple question of stock position; add the inclusion of a rear BUIS across the board to that and all the M16A4s (near impossible for the various homunculi to get proper eye relief), a material solution that provided a greater range of adjustability was needed.

Pushing an ACOG variant forward, deliberately...? One's positive results are one's positive results, but it'd be a mistake to identify that as a feature or any kind of trend in how the device is designed to be used.

An informed man right here.

samuse
11-03-15, 23:05
I think that KRAM IG has os better than the LaRue USMC mount since it allows the optic to be mounted over the buis.

You don't get the benefit with the LaRue unless the buis is gone.

And btw, an A4 with an ACOG is such a PITA.