PDA

View Full Version : DP 12?

PatrioticDisorder
10-05-15, 21:10
Anyone own one of these? Seems like someone took the concept of the KSG & made an improved quality version of it, LAV seems to like it and that definitely holds a lot of weight with me.

http://youtu.be/HPwi1AsIy_0

bigghoss
10-05-15, 21:18
The manual of arms is a no-go. They made a gun with two barrels to solve a non-existent problem and in doing so created several more. It's a gun for people who don't shoot enough and who still think the sound of racking a shotgun makes criminals soil themselves.

PatrioticDisorder
10-05-15, 21:20
The manual of arms is a no-go. They made a gun with two barrels to solve a non-existent problem and in doing so created several more. It's a gun for people who don't shoot enough and who still think the sound of racking a shotgun makes criminals soil themselves.

What problems does it create? Admittedly a shotgun would be the last go to gun for me, but I believe every gun should be reliable & durable...

Kain
10-05-15, 21:31
What problems does it create? Admittedly a shotgun would be the last go to gun for me, but I believe every gun should be reliable & durable...

I think the biggest issue is the gun had a manual of arms that is pretty unique. Fire two rounds and pump it, to fire two more. No other gun I can think of has a similar arrangement. Most pump or manual guns are fire a round, pump it, rack it, run the bolt, ect. Not saying that you couldn't train to fire twice, but I would argue from a combat perspective that firing a single round and then working a manual action makes somewhat more sense from a stress under fire perspective than doing something twice. At least from my perspective.

Also, something LAV touched on, is that with two barrels you now have the real possibility of having a gun where one barrel shoots one place and the other patterns to a different point. Actually this isn't uncommon with double barreled shotguns, trust me I know. I can only think of one arrangement that allows the end use to be able to adjust POI for a barrel so that both can be matched, and that ain't in a combat rig.

bigghoss
10-05-15, 22:41
I think the biggest issue is the gun had a manual of arms that is pretty unique. Fire two rounds and pump it, to fire two more. No other gun I can think of has a similar arrangement. Most pump or manual guns are fire a round, pump it, rack it, run the bolt, ect. Not saying that you couldn't train to fire twice, but I would argue from a combat perspective that firing a single round and then working a manual action makes somewhat more sense from a stress under fire perspective than doing something twice. At least from my perspective.

Also, something LAV touched on, is that with two barrels you now have the real possibility of having a gun where one barrel shoots one place and the other patterns to a different point. Actually this isn't uncommon with double barreled shotguns, trust me I know. I can only think of one arrangement that allows the end use to be able to adjust POI for a barrel so that both can be matched, and that ain't in a combat rig.

Those are a couple of deal-breakers right there. Even after training around the fire-two-then-pump issue, you have the potential to engage a threat and only need to fire one round, then a second threat presents itself so you fire once and try to fire twice and oh-shit-why-won't-my-gun-fire-oh-yeah-gotta-pump. Add to that the fact that after you fire the first round you can't put the weapon on safe until you fire the second, that's a major issue. The added weight of the unnecessary extra barrel and feed system is a bit of a turn off as well. The whole thing is a gimmick.

BPA164
10-10-15, 14:17
I would say its more a tacticool platform more than anything. It looks cool but other than that doesn't have anything going on as far as the ksg never had any problems with mine runs like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigghoss
10-10-15, 16:39
I would say its more a tacticool platform more than anything. It looks cool but other than that doesn't have anything going on as far as the ksg never had any problems with mine runs like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of other people have had problems with theirs though, enough that most don't consider it a viable option either. It's a much better concept than the DP12 but the quality isn't there which sadly is par for the course when it comes to Kel-tec.

In my opinion, any new tactical shotgun that comes to market that doesn't use detachable mags is behind the power curve.

teutonicpolymer
10-10-15, 19:12
Those are a couple of deal-breakers right there. Even after training around the fire-two-then-pump issue, you have the potential to engage a threat and only need to fire one round, then a second threat presents itself so you fire once and try to fire twice and oh-shit-why-won't-my-gun-fire-oh-yeah-gotta-pump. Add to that the fact that after you fire the first round you can't put the weapon on safe until you fire the second, that's a major issue. The added weight of the unnecessary extra barrel and feed system is a bit of a turn off as well. The whole thing is a gimmick.

I agree with what has been said already

This is a solution looking for a problem that inadvertently creates a new problem- you use this, pump with each single round thereby wasting 1 each time, you fix this and learn to get in the habit of pumping after 2 rounds, then you switch back to a far, far more common conventional pump and then you are SOL

I have never really wished I was racking two rounds instead of just one when using a pump (nor have I ever thought "Gee, I wish this came in bullpup form")

Things I have wished for however are for a larger magazine and faster reloading, so instead of doing the above things I think companies should focus on making some kind of domestic made drum or revolving shotgun (like how Crye Precision is doing with the six12), with its being manual pump, semi auto, double action, quadruple action, or whatever of little consequence

kh86
10-12-15, 03:50
DP12 = fun gimmick.

Just remember, if one side fails to feed you gotta clean out both to get it functioning again.

As far as the Six12... Being a revolver it will have a long heavy pull to rotate that big cylinder but the main concern is the seal gap.