PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 FXP 300 Win Mag (E)

jwfuhrman
10-06-15, 11:43
Took a Savage 110 FXP in 300 Win Mag in on trade towards a DDI AK74 this past weekend.

Wanting to know a little more about this gun. Will regular aftermarket stocks/barrels/accessories work for this gun?

Barrel internally looks a little worn out so I'd like to go with a slightly heavier profile than the sporter that it came with. Wanting to try and make this a 2 fold gun. A Rifle I can use to supplement my 260 Rem strictly precision roled gun which does fantastic to 1000 so far with a heavier hitter for out farther but I'd also like to use it for the once a year trip out West that my father and I go on for Elk hunts.

Wanting to set it up similar to the Savage 111 Hunter (precision/hunter stock and slightly heavier barrel with a Muzzle Brake).

09stanggt
10-27-15, 16:12
I can think of several companies that sell pre-fit Savage barrels that would work. If this model has the accu-trigger then you're slightly ahead of the game. I would probably go with something other than a factory stock for it and since it's a .300, I would keep the weight higher than normal even if you do put a brake on it. If you need any names of suppliers, please PM me.

jwfuhrman
01-07-16, 14:19
Any more help? I'm not debating on just using this gun for the action to build something else. Maybe even a 450 Bushmaster or similar that meets Indiana's stupid ass Deer hunting regulations (MAX CASE LENGTH of 1.8in and MINUMUM Bullet diameter of 357). I think this would be a good donor gun for that as I'm hoping I can find something that will work with it as is and only make me change the barrel.

masenomics
01-09-16, 00:11
I also have a savage 300 win mag in a model 111 trophy hunter XP that I would like some aftermarket products like stock and bolt knob and maybe a heavier profile barrel. My rifle has the bolt release at the front of the trigger guard, and has the accu trigger, if anyone has some helpful tips I would appreciate it. I've really only seen one stock that would work with my rifle from Boyds, does anyone have much experience with Boyds stocks? Not trying to hijack your thread I just don't want to start another.

jwfuhrman
01-09-16, 11:30
Not a high jack at all. Same end goal, no need for another thread

09stanggt
01-22-16, 06:59
I also have a savage 300 win mag in a model 111 trophy hunter XP that I would like some aftermarket products like stock and bolt knob and maybe a heavier profile barrel. My rifle has the bolt release at the front of the trigger guard, and has the accu trigger, if anyone has some helpful tips I would appreciate it. I've really only seen one stock that would work with my rifle from Boyds, does anyone have much experience with Boyds stocks? Not trying to hijack your thread I just don't want to start another.

I've not used a Boyds stock for a Savage. I actually bought a used Stockade stock on another forum. I would contact Kevin Rayhill at Stockade as there are pictures up on his website talking about the trigger guards being different and how it relates to inletting. If you aren't buying the most expensive stock with all the bells and whistles, the prices are actually very good for what you're getting. Mine is a Prairie Dog special with an adjustable cheek piece. Jeff at CDI inletted it for his AI bottom metal so I can run magazines. Stockade sells bolt handles as well as a replacement part to smooth out the operation of the bolt.

Barrels are easy. You can get Criterions, Bartleins, Rock Creek, etc. All you need are the wrench, vise, and headspace gauges. Rifle Basix and Timney have replacement triggers. I got the Timney but it actually uses most of the factory trigger, it's more of just a replacement sear. My rifle started as a .30/06 Stevens 200 without an accutrigger. It's now a .284 Win.