PDA

View Full Version : Quick detach supressor mounts

tim808
10-07-15, 01:09
What do you think of the griffin and Yankee hill muzzle brakes/mounts in reference to use with suppressors? (These 2 are just the cheapest - so I'm not set on them)

Ignoring the suppressor itself, what mounting systems do you like the best?

I have tried to search but my Google fu apparently is weak tonite.

I'm looking at retiring to a "friendlier" state and have began researching suppressors.

I only have 5.56 ar's but will likely expand to 300 and 308 if we move.

I likely will build suppressors from a kit after doing the paperwork instead of buying outright.

The kits allow you the option to choose between various quick detach mounts or direct thread.

Since I am not a long distance shooter/hunter and want to use the suppressor(s) on various calibers, direct thread is out of the picture

I am leaning to brake mounts since they will act as a sacrificial baffle and hopefully allow the baffles in the suppressor to last a little longer.

I'm just an old fart that would like to still be able to hear when I'm an even older fart.

Thanks in advance!!

Mods - please move if this should be in another forum

waveslayer
10-07-15, 01:42
I haven't had issues with my AAC 51T mounts at all. some have, but mine work great and index perfectly snug

C-grunt
10-07-15, 02:02
I have a YHM 5.56 Phantom can with QD flash suppressor. It locks up great. Never had a problem with it after IraqGunz installed it properly for me. It was initially installed wrong by the shop that I bought it from. My only real complaint with the YHM is the weight. Its a pig. It weighs the same as, and is as big as, my brother in laws 7.62 AAC can.

elephant
10-07-15, 03:40
I have a Saker Trifecta mount for my SilencerCO Saker 556- I love it!!! $75 Attaches and detaches the silencer in seconds.

I have a Surefire Socom flash hider for my Surefire Socom762- I love it $130- Its proprietary so it only fits Socom series suppressors.

BigWaylon
10-07-15, 06:02
I really like the functionality of my YHM mounts. I have a pair of YHM cans, a pair of SiCo Sakers with Y-Mount MAAD adapters, and a half dozen F1 cans that have YHM adapters. No moving parts on the can. Nothing has ever come loose while shooting. Never had one lock up and not come off.

I understand some people think they're ugly, but I can't see the muzzle device with a can attached. I do know of a couple reports of accuracy issues with the brakes, but all I have are flash hiders.

sandsunsurf
10-07-15, 14:17
I want to hate the YHM mounts, because they're a little on the ugly side and a little on the heavy side. BUT they're cheap, they're intelligent (in that a 7.62 phantom fits a 5.56 phantom mount but not vice versa), they don't get carbon welded, and they're cheap. Even the AAC51T got a bit of carbon welding on me just a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was because I left it on after I was done shooting or just because.... But that's never happened with my YHM mounts/cans.

elephant
10-07-15, 14:55
a 7.62 phantom fits a 5.56 phantom mount but not vice versa.

stupid question: but are the mounts the same with different size holes and thread pitch or is the 762 bigger overall compared to the 556?

VIP3R 237
10-07-15, 15:01
I'm a fan of the Griffin Mounts, especially the Taper Mount system. It won't carbon weld itself, and the large surface area of the mating surfaces ensures a consistent and repeatable rtz. The guys at Silencershop say it's one of, if not the best at returning to zero of any mounting system out there.

BigWaylon
10-07-15, 16:06
stupid question: but are the mounts the same with different size holes and thread pitch or is the 762 bigger overall compared to the 556?
The full size 7.62 cans use a longer mount. The LT/LTA/ULT .30 cans use a shorter mount, which is the same size as the 5.56 but with a bigger bore. The threads on all of them are them same.

The "intelligent" theory mentioned above works for most YHM cans because the blast chamber in the 5.56 cans isn't big enough to accommodate the longer 7.62 muzzle devices. However, I'm pretty sure the 5.56 cans fit on an LT .30 mount.

Silencer Shop actually did a decent video explaining it.

http://youtu.be/DZowhmD88UQ

tim808
10-11-15, 03:41
Thanks guys!

I've been reading and think I'll try a reflex mount to keep down the OAL of the rifle and suppressor.

I may also be able to get by with just one stamp since 16" + reflex is only a little more longer than a SBR + typical can

Thanks again!

Bummedic
06-29-16, 13:32
Don't have the cans yet, but I went with YHM because I liked the design and functionality of their mounts. Haven't heard a bad "functional" comment on them, but yes, they are a little heavy... I don't think they're ugly, though.

BufordTJustice
06-30-16, 21:19
Both the SiCo ASR mounts i have are great with my Saker 762 w/ MAAD adapter. The high temp anti seize on both mounts remains clean and wet from the taper surface rearward even after several hundred rounds of 5.56. with a 5.56 end cap.