PDA

View Full Version : How "invoking the fifth" after a shooting can screw you - Sloppy LE work in FL

Eurodriver
10-07-15, 11:28
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20151006/ARTICLE/151009777/2416/NEWS?p=3&tc=pg&tc=ar

Guy did everything right by Internet standards, but unfortunately he zipped his trap and the perp lied his ass off.

Now he's in jail with 50k bond. This case is personal to me as I know the attorney and my friend is friends with the accused.

The difference in the official report, and what is seen in the video, is troublesome to say the least.

soulezoo
10-07-15, 11:33
Yeah, I'd say troublesome.

Damned good thing for the video.

Alex V
10-07-15, 11:44
that is, as they say in the business, TOTAL BULL$HIT. The fact that he is still in jail after this video is shown to the police is crap.

Ick
10-07-15, 11:46
Nothing worse than a liar. Well, except for TWO liars.

Outlander Systems
10-07-15, 11:47
Don't thank the Po-Po, thank the State's Attorney/Prosecutor.

Gotta keep them numbers up, boys.

Nothing to see here...

that is, as they say in the business, TOTAL BULL$HIT. The fact that he is still in jail after this video is shown to the police is crap.

Doc Safari
10-07-15, 11:47
We were taught in my CCW class to tell them "Yes, I will speak to you but only after consulting my attorney."

Eurodriver
10-07-15, 12:00
The fact that he is still in jail after this video is shown to the police is crap.
The police viewed that footage prior to the arrest! Says so in the police report.

Firefly
10-07-15, 12:06
Attorneys should be present, then you cooperate.
That's AFTER you get medically examined.

Don't know the guy's background but most people will never be in an armed encounter or deadly force situation.

Larger man approaches smaller man. Smaller man creates distance and presents option to stand down or get shot. Large man aggresses. Bang.

Meets the standards. Despite the legal hell, it would be hard to prosecute. The video helps.

A good, competent forensics examiner or post shoot team should've seen this for what it is. That or it's a blue area that wants to 'send a message'.

Interesting

Eurodriver
10-07-15, 12:09
That or it's a blue area that wants to 'send a message'.

Nope. Miami/Palm Beach is where the liberals retire, the Republican retirees roll hard in SRQ. I'm completely baffled about this.

Firefly
10-07-15, 12:13
Nope. Miami/Palm Beach is where the liberals retire, the Republican retirees roll hard in SRQ. I'm completely baffled about this.

Yeah, this is weird. Someone made a zealous charge or isn't versed and treating it like a project shooting.

T2C
10-07-15, 12:53
We were taught in my CCW class to tell them "Yes, I will speak to you but only after consulting my attorney."

That seems like a prudent way to manage the interview portion of the investigation.

titsonritz
10-07-15, 13:12
The idea behind remaining silent is not to avoid going to jail, it is to avoid going to prison. Expect to go to jail, just STFU and let your mouthpiece do the talking. The shooter should prevail when it all said and done.

7.62NATO
10-07-15, 13:26
The best thing is not to get involved in road rage situations, especially when you're carrying.

It takes two to tango...

Firefly
10-07-15, 13:34
The best thing is not to get involved in road rage situations, especially when you're carrying.

It takes two to tango...

You're exactly right. If some big dude bullies up on you and is about to go hands on with you, you look him dead in the eye and say "No thanks. I am not getting involved. I bid you good day, sir".

That'll learn him.

7.62NATO
10-07-15, 13:39
You're exactly right. If some big dude bullies up on you and is about to go hands on with you, you look him dead in the eye and say "No thanks. I am not getting involved. I bid you good day, sir".

That'll learn him.

Because we know exactly what led up to the encounter at the gas station, don't we?

The video clearly depicts the motorist assaulting the motorcyclist, no doubt. I am interested in what led to the encounter in the first place. Surely there is no chance that the motorcyclist provoked the encounter...or vice versa. Most of these situations can be avoided.

Firefly
10-07-15, 13:44
Anything can upset anybody even nothing.

If someone comes at me, they are a threat.
They are free to say whatever racial, hateful, sexist cisgender, rape culture, neo nazi skinhead black panther blasphemy they like about me provided it is humorous and at long distance.

It ain't my fault people got a bee in their bonnet

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-07-15, 17:07
Thank God for the video.

I wonder if they swabbed the hands of the guy who said that he grabbed the gun...

PatrioticDisorder
10-07-15, 18:36

Neither Palm Beach or Miami are overwhelmingly left (yes they do lean left but it's not lopsided), Broward county is ultra left.

T2C
10-07-15, 18:48
Because we know exactly what led up to the encounter at the gas station, don't we?

The video clearly depicts the motorist assaulting the motorcyclist, no doubt. I am interested in what led to the encounter in the first place. Surely there is no chance that the motorcyclist provoked the encounter...or vice versa. Most of these situations can be avoided.

Do you think what lead up to the encounter at the gas station was the reason the shooter was charged?

PatrioticDisorder
10-07-15, 18:52
This is a clear cut self defense shooting anyone with a half a brain can see that.

R0CKETMAN
10-07-15, 18:56
So the dude on the bike shot the dude in the maroon car/green shirt? Was dude in green shirt armed?

sevenhelmet
10-07-15, 18:59
Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six. If someone had me on the ground, and I managed to get away enough to stand up, I can't say I would have reacted any differently.

I think we're just waiting for due process to run its course. I don't think it matters what happened before the gas station- the guy in green was clearly the aggressor.

7.62NATO
10-07-15, 19:06
Do you think what lead up to the encounter at the gas station was the reason the shooter was charged?

Charged, as in assaulted? Or charged with a crime?

T2C
10-07-15, 19:06
So the dude on the bike shot the dude in the maroon car/green shirt? Was dude in green shirt armed?

An attacker does not have to be armed with a knife, bludgeon or handgun in order for the use of deadly force to be justified. The person who initiated the circumstances that provoked an attack, disparity of force and the perception of the shooter are just a few factors used to determine justification.

R0CKETMAN
10-07-15, 19:08
An attacker does not have to armed with a knife or handgun in order for the use of deadly force to be justified. The person who initiated the circumstances that provoked an attack, disparity of force and the perception of the shooter are just a few factors used to determine justification.

I was asking for clarification. So he wasn't armed.
George Zimmerman defense

T2C
10-07-15, 19:17
I was asking for clarification. So he wasn't armed.
George Zimmerman defense

Don't know based on video or news articles. No mention of a weapon, just disparity in physical size.

jpmuscle
10-07-15, 19:25
Anyone have a link to a copy of the actual report? I'm not seeing an issue with LE simply reporting on what was stated to them by the parties involved.

7.62NATO
10-07-15, 19:43

I think we need to learn more about what happened prior to the shooting. In the video, it is clear that the man in the car assaulted the motorcyclist. Had the motorcyclist assaulted, threatened, or robbed the man prior to the event at the gas station?

Jer
10-07-15, 20:49
I think we need to learn more about what happened prior to the shooting. In the video, it is clear that the man in the car assaulted the motorcyclist. Had the motorcyclist assaulted, threatened, or robbed the man prior to the event at the gas station?

Would it matter? I can't think of too much that could have happened before that video clip that would have allowed the guy who was ultimately shot to chase down the guy who shot him and confront him especially once he was drawn down on.

T2C
10-07-15, 21:10

That might shed a little more light on why the shooter was charged.