PDA

View Full Version : I might have screwed myself buying a used EOTech G.23 Magnifier.

chairforce26
10-09-15, 13:19
So I've had a 557 EOTECH for years, and bought a cheap Primary Arms magnifier to go behind it that I later removed. I removed it because it was a little too short for the eotech and didn't fit well over the MATECH BUIS. So recently I decided to buy a used Gen.23 magnifier off Gun Broker for 325.00 shipped. The guy had a lot of good feedback but I knew it was a bit of a risk anyway. So I get the magnifier, it's missing the 7mm riser, can't fault him for that since it wasn't in the pic, but when I tried remove the optic from the ARMS mount on of the screws was jammed in real good. Looks like someone might have used red lock tight on it, but it didn't budge. The optic is mounted backwards now and stuck that way because of that screw, even if I found a riser I don't know how to get that same screw out, I damn near stripped it trying to use my electric drill and vice. I am wondering if I can get this screw off, if I could buy a newer STS mount in case I can't find a 7mm riser sold separately? I kinda feel like I got screwed...no pun intended.

Wake27
10-09-15, 13:53
Contact EOTech and tell them the situation, they will probably help. Why did you buy the older gen when the newer one goes for only a little more?

Ryno12
10-09-15, 13:57
Why did you buy the older gen when the newer one goes for only a little more?

No kidding. I've seen G33s for that price.

Hmac
10-09-15, 14:03
No kidding. I've seen G33s for that price.

I bought one for about that price, and it's a substantially better optical device.

Wake27
10-09-15, 14:19
I bought one on here for exactly that price.

chairforce26
10-09-15, 15:56
Well I was just looking on gunbroker, I didn't see any Gen 3s any where near that price. So I figured, well I've got an older 557, might as well order a Gen 2 for cheaper.

Ryno12
10-09-15, 15:59
Well I was just looking on gunbroker, I didn't see any Gen 3s any where near that price. So I figured, well I've got an older 557, might as well order a Gen 2 for cheaper.

I can't speak for Gunbroker because I don't use it but I'm on a ton of mailing lists & regularly see them on sale for that.
Not to mention an occasional EE ad here.

GH41
10-09-15, 16:18
A picture would help.

chairforce26
10-09-15, 16:18
The good news is I've contacted EOTECH and they are going to be nice enough to send me a spacer and replacement screws free of charge. I still have to figure out how to get that screw out. I'm thinking of maybe taking it to a gun smith, I've messed with it enough.

WS6
10-09-15, 17:15
Contact EOTech and tell them the situation, they will probably help. Why did you buy the older gen when the newer one goes for only a little more?

Everything above, x2

TaterTot
10-09-15, 19:56
The good news is I've contacted EOTECH and they are going to be nice enough to send me a spacer and replacement screws free of charge. I still have to figure out how to get that screw out. I'm thinking of maybe taking it to a gun smith, I've messed with it enough.
Try breakfree powder blaster on the stuck screw, I've found that a good soak in it breaks down loctite

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

WitchDoctor02
10-10-15, 11:43
Perhaps just give the screw heads a couple/few seconds of heat with a wood burner/soldering iron and use a screw driver rather than a screw gun. Should warm up red loctite just fine.

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 13:56
Micro butane torch (Harbor freight $1 type) on the screw heads?

Or if stripped, drill the heads off, get some heat on the remaining stud, then use your needle nose vice grips to unscrew? (Worked many times)

SteveL
10-10-15, 15:10
Try this stuff. I've seen Iraqgunz recommend it on a few occasions.

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-161-Un-Cure-1oz/dp/B0000DD1QS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444507758&sr=8-1&keywords=Smith%27s+uncure

Hochsitz
10-14-15, 10:18
Perhaps just give the screw heads a couple/few seconds of heat with a wood burner/soldering iron and use a screw driver rather than a screw gun. Should warm up red loctite just fine.
This. I've put assemblies with broken screws in the oven at 400F and the loctite turned to liquid. I was able to spin what was left of the screw effortlessly. Also a whack with a hammer to the fastener can help break it loose. Done this several times.

GH41
10-14-15, 10:34
This. I've put assemblies with broken screws in the oven at 400F and the loctite turned to liquid. I was able to spin what was left of the screw effortlessly. Also a whack with a hammer to the fastener can help break it loose. Done this several times.

Have you ever put an scope in the oven?

Hochsitz
10-14-15, 12:17
Have you ever put an scope in the oven?

Yes.

However the glue that binds optical doublets is only good to about 200F. It would take time for internal components to reach that temperature but objective (external) lenses are usually doublets so it's best to direct the heat to the part that needs it. The storage requirement the military uses is 160F if that tells you anything and the scope doesn't have to function until it returns to normal temp.