PDA

View Full Version : What is your Biggest Pet Peeve

Pages : [1] 2

elephant
10-09-15, 14:37
Imagine all the different kinds of AR's that you have seen, weather it be at a gun show, on the internet, or in a magazine. What are the things about those guns that annoy you the most (biggest pet peeve), like the things that make you unable to sleep at night. For me its ONLY 2 things:

1. Over accessorizing, using every slot on the picitany rail, ridiculous color combos, unnecessary mill work and ostentatious quotes or phrases on the mag well ("surprise cock fag", or any other bullshit like that). - usually found at lower end tables at gun shows.

2. Generic aftermarket accessory brands like rails, optics, grips, stocks etc. - Not to sound pretentious or materialistic, but recognizable name brands is a must to me!

Mr blasty
10-09-15, 14:43
Cerberus and that that implies.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

ShooterM4
10-09-15, 14:46
My biggest pet peeve are people who use the word "biggest" rather than "largest."

:)

elephant
10-09-15, 14:52
My biggest pet peeve are people who use the word "biggest" rather than "largest."

:)

I thought maybe this would clear up a command grammar misconception

http://unitedenglish.com.mx/michelin-plant-managers-group/2012/12/4/biggest-vs-largest

VIP3R 237
10-09-15, 14:57
For me it's the 'Just as good as' crowd, and the Zombie crap that thankfully has subsided the last year or so.

SomeOtherGuy
10-09-15, 15:03
Barrel profiles that make no sense. Basically, anything that gets thicker towards the muzzle, and anything that has notches for a M203 (etc.) where there is no realistic chance the end user of the barrel will install such a thing. Between M4 clone and M16A2 derived profiles, this is probably 90% or more of the non-stainless barrels on the market.

The relatively recent tapered profiles - Daniel Defense's S2W, BCM's ELW/EMW, and Faxon's "Gunner" profile, are all huge steps in the right direction.

black22rifle
10-09-15, 15:27
When people say they ditched 9mms and went to .45ago because it has more stopping power.

bfoosh006
10-09-15, 15:29
Deleted

scottryan
10-09-15, 15:32
People obessing about what type of expensive defensive ammo to buy yet show up with:

A shitty holster
Shitty magazines
A shitty gun belt
A shitty weapon light
A shitty optic
A shitty sling
Shitty mag pouches
A shitty rifle and/or pistol

I told a moron two weeks ago I carry 115gr FMJ in my glock 19 for everyday carry and he looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead.

GH41
10-09-15, 15:34
People that start post asking questions about grip or stock will fit them best!

VIP3R 237
10-09-15, 15:36
Lube threads ;)

scottryan
10-09-15, 15:41
If you are in a face to face conversation with a person about NFA weapons and the word Trust comes out of their mouth in the first minute of the conversation, without you directly bringing in up, they are a moron.

tarkeg
10-09-15, 15:43
Lube threads ;)

Ding! We have a winner..

Thesandstonefiles
10-09-15, 15:53
People with knowledge that talk down to noobs. I understand the frustration but we should be helping noobs.

Fudd's.

People that say things with their keyboard and cloak of anonymity that they would never say face to face.

People with post counts in the tens of thousands that have attitudes. We get it, you live on the forums because no one in real life wants to deal with your attitude so you try to get away with it here.

Ryno12
10-09-15, 15:55
Members that start threads seeking advice about a product or build when they have already purchased said product and/or have no intentions of heeding any advice given about a certain product or build.

Members that bump EE ads with "SOLD" or "SPF".

Newbs that are trolls or think they know it all and can't accept that they "don't know what they don't know".

ColtSeavers
10-09-15, 16:00
People that mount their sights backwards.

14.5" w/perm muzzle device up to ~16.25" being SOOOOOO much lighter and handier and amazing than a 16" with even just a standard A2 birdcage (bringing it up to ~17.25").

ETA: Early join dates and/or high post counts asking for bare bones AR information. (random example: member joesnuffy with join date of 2008 and post count of 1189 asking if mid length gas system will work with a carbine stock setup.)

sgtrock82
10-09-15, 16:03
Shitty no name optics. Other lousy no name bargain bin parts cause my teeth to grind too but lousy optics take the cake.... followed closely by unnecessary adjustable gas blocks. Thankfully those occur much less frequently than they use to.

Uprange41
10-09-15, 16:22
People obsessed with building the cheapest rifle possible. I just don't understand the motivation to own, and subsequently brag about, a $300 AR that you then will always have to defend as "just as good".

sevenhelmet
10-09-15, 16:39
Guns that have truly stupid modifications, such as parts intentionally omitted, random holes drilled, or parts ground down/off with no functional purpose other than a tasteless attempt at making something look "tactical" at the expense of safety. The owners of these guns are known to frequent gun shows, bragging about their wares and looking down on anyone who has a "department store" rifle.

Jewell
10-09-15, 16:42
I have quite a few. The worst for me are people that shoot 50 rounds through their AR/year, and know everything.

donlapalma
10-09-15, 16:50
Members that start threads seeking advice about a product or build when they have already purchased said product and/or have no intentions of heeding any advice given about a certain product or build.

Members that bump EE ads with "SOLD" or "SPF".

Newbs that are trolls or think they know it all and can't accept that they "don't know what they don't know".

I endorse this list.

JulyAZ
10-09-15, 16:54
Democrats from cities rampant in gun violence, while having some of the strictest gun laws already in the books thinking more laws will solve the issue of violence. While actually doing nothing to solve the real issues.

elephant
10-09-15, 17:23
I just realized that this forum needs a "like" button real bad! Nothing too fancy, just a little check box to scroll over with your mouse cursor and left click indicating your approval of someone's comment or opinion.

Someone mentioned the word "trust". I hate that, I tell someone about my silencerco or surefire and they say "wait, I want to make sure, you do have a trust, don't you" and im like, no asshole, I bought these on the black market.
Also, I frequent a particular gun store in Dallas almost weekly. One of the employees there has nothing good to say about Glocks, Sigs, HK's, S&W, Kimber, Colt, 1911's or any other gun for that matter but yet he carries a Taurus .38.

556BlackRifle
10-09-15, 17:45
I just realized that this forum needs a "like" button real bad! Nothing too fancy, just a little check box to scroll over with your mouse cursor and left click indicating your approval of someone's comment or opinion.

Someone mentioned the word "trust". I hate that, I tell someone about my silencerco or surefire and they say "wait, I want to make sure, you do have a trust, don't you" and im like, no asshole, I bought these on the black market.
Also, I frequent a particular gun store in Dallas almost weekly. One of the employees there has nothing good to say about Glocks, Sigs, HK's, S&W, Kimber, Colt, 1911's or any other gun for that matter but yet he carries a Taurus .38.

Thanks Elephant. I needed a good laugh today. :)

26 Inf
10-09-15, 18:20
Imagine all the different kinds of AR's that you have seen, weather it be at a gun show, on the internet, or in a magazine. What are the things about those guns that annoy you the most (biggest pet peeve), like the things that make you unable to sleep at night. For me its ONLY 2 things:

1. Over accessorizing, using every slot on the picitany rail, ridiculous color combos, unnecessary mill work and ostentatious quotes or phrases on the mag well ("surprise cock fag", or any other bullshit like that). - usually found at lower end tables at gun shows.

2. Generic aftermarket accessory brands like rails, optics, grips, stocks etc. - Not to sound pretentious or materialistic, but recognizable name brands is a must to me!

So actually trying to answer the question you asked - carbines set me on edge; I get the idea behind the barrel length, but who the F came up with that gas system and those dinky-assed handguards; really, they couldn't envision some use for 61/4 inches from the front of the FSB to the threaded shoulder of a 16" barrel, or the 43/4 inches on the a4.5 " barrel?

And, although not on point - threads where someone asks a fairly specific question - and the answers after the first couple posts do not reflect any effort to read, comprehend, and answer the question.

End of rant, rough day.

Pi3
10-09-15, 18:31
People going to an expensive firearms course & bringing cheap aftermarket mags that jam repeatedly & hold up the entire class.

Shiz
10-09-15, 20:01
The fact that very few have read and follow the rules in the exchange section. :) It's madness down there!

BSmith
10-09-15, 20:22
People that bash one company immediately and then claim it's not a big deal when another, more popular company does the same thing or has the same problems. Example: BCMs space age finish falling off their rails would never fly if it were about half the other rail manufacturers.

w3453l
10-09-15, 20:45
The "Keep That Crap off My AK" crowd that's stuck in the 60's with only wood and bakelight.

I get being a collector, and wanting to keep something authentic. Just the mentality that anything that strays away from the original Russian AK design must be crap.

Also people that claim that Saigas are the best AK variant, because that is where Kalishnakov worked; I like and own Saigas, but I would not say they are the best AK's period. They have their flaws.

These are usually the same guys that say all modern day 7.62's offer no advantage over an M14.

They don't believe in cleaning and lubing AK's, because they are AK's.

They might have one AR that at best will be a Colt with a carry handle, plain plastic OEM hand guard, A2 pistol grip etc. At worst it's a Delton with knockoff optics and accessories that are "just as good as" everything else.

They only run cheap Steel cased ammo and if the gun can't run it then it must be crap.

They're usually allergic to anything polymer.

1911-A1
10-09-15, 21:13
-Modifications done or accessories added with aesthetics as the primary motivation.

-People who happily tinker with their ARs but paradoxically believe AKs must remain in their traditional configuration and must not be modified under ANY circumstances.

-People who think all ARs are created equal and then blame their DPMS's malfunctions on "bad ammo".

-Shooters who say "100 flawless rounds" as though it says anything substantial about the quality of their firearm.

-People who think a naked, iron-sighted KISS rifle is in any way useful for defensive purposes.

jhr1986
10-09-15, 21:16
Idiots. And I am surrounded by them.

Not on this forum, in "real life". :)

Agnostic
10-09-15, 21:29
Folks that come onto the site, ask for advice, then bitch when they don't get the answer they wanted to hear.

Noobs that get into technical arguments with SMEs.

Ned Christiansen
10-09-15, 21:43
Pics on forums and in magazine ads showing an AR with magazine in place, safety off. Or even no mag and safety off.

Pics on forums and in magazine articles showing an incredible three-shot group-- OMG, 3/8"! -- and the rest of the target is coverd with the gun what done it, three ammo boxes, and two magazines. Ya just know there's a #4 buckshot-at-15-yards pattern under all that stuff!

ace4059
10-09-15, 21:44
Folks that run grease on there AR's and wonder why they have problems after a few hundred rds. Then they argue with a SME that grease is top notch for an AR

mkmckinley
10-09-15, 21:56
People obessing about what type of expensive defensive ammo to buy yet show up with:

A shitty holster
Shitty magazines
A shitty gun belt
A shitty weapon light
A shitty optic
A shitty sling
Shitty mag pouches
A shitty rifle and/or pistol

I told a moron two weeks ago I carry 115gr FMJ in my glock 19 for everyday carry and he looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead.

So I was in the little gun shop today getting a gun transferred. I was waiting for the process and noticed that this particular shop, which is fairly representative of most mom-n-pop gun shops, only carries shitty belts, holsters, knives, ammo etc. the factory mags they carry are at least full msrp e.g. $35 Glock mags, $16.96 pmags. They have tons of like zombie targets, tannerite, Drago (tm) range backs and rifle cases, a whole wall of spinny .22LR targets, and bumper stickers that say "keep honking I'm reloading". Just while I was standing there some guy bought a universal nylon holster and another guy bought a Taurus. I think in countless gun shops around the country people buy this crap simply because that's what's for sale and the better alternatives are either unAvailable or are too expensive ($35 Glock mag). Some people get it and buy the real thing but I imagine the vast majority never do and are running around with a Charter Arms in an Uncle Mike's none the wiser.

scottryan
10-09-15, 23:00
So I was in the little gun shop today getting a gun transferred. I was waiting for the process and noticed that this particular shop, which is fairly representative of most mom-n-pop gun shops, only carries shitty belts, holsters, knives, ammo etc. the factory mags they carry are at least full msrp e.g. $35 Glock mags, $16.96 pmags. They have tons of like zombie targets, tannerite, Drago (tm) range backs and rifle cases, a whole wall of spinny .22LR targets, and bumper stickers that say "keep honking I'm reloading". Just while I was standing there some guy bought a universal nylon holster and another guy bought a Taurus. I think in countless gun shops around the country people buy this crap simply because that's what's for sale and the better alternatives are either unAvailable or are too expensive ($35 Glock mag). Some people get it and buy the real thing but I imagine the vast majority never do and are running around with a Charter Arms in an Uncle Mike's none the wiser.

Its funny how somebody can obsess over little nuances between a speer gold dot, winchester rangers, remington golden sabres, etc. These differences don't matter to anyone except in a laboratory.

Especially when some retard is running hollow point ammo through a short pistol.

Its the same with duck hunting loads and chokes.

Turnkey11
10-09-15, 23:14
People who worry about what other people do with their money.

C-grunt
10-10-15, 00:03
People that say the 5.56 is inadequate for military useage. Then when you begin to argue with them their experience is "I've been deer hunting for 30 years".

Or a tangent of the above.... the guy whose brotbers uncles cousin was in "the sand box" and discarded hi M4 because it was crap and the 5.56 didn't "put them down". Once he picked up an enemy AK47 he was walking death incarnate.

Or how the 5.56 fails to go through any cover used by the enmey. I recently had a thread on another site where a guy said that a single magazines worth of 7.62 NATO from an M14 would penetrate a wall and kill the guy behind that 300 rounds from a M16 couldnt.

cbx
10-10-15, 00:21
#1, The guy that shows up to shoot steel with you and brings his hi point carbine and barska scoped ar that can't even see the target.

Off topic but still makes me want to scream: People that show up with no guns and ammo even through they own several, and were showing you their pistols the night before. "Oh, I didn't have any ammo......" mmkay faggot. You drove by 40 places that sell it between my place and yours.... Talking about you dear brother in law. ****ing asshole.

He's a super fudd too. He went on and on about how AR's are junk. "Said there's no way that black gun will hit it". Well, Said faggot was quiet after his girl friend, mom, and sister couldn't miss the 250 yrd 8" plate with my 2 minutes coaching on marksmanship and prone fundamentals. Then at the end he said "well I guess that's a good rifle, most assault rifles are junk and hit anything"

Of course, I'm just seething with hate and discontent by this time, so I reply like a real asshole "naw, that's not true, you just don't know what your talking about." An awkward silence ensued. Then, I was in trouble and the "asshole" by the cheapskate dickheads sister......

That damn guy makes more money than the rear of us put together. God damn prick.

556BlackRifle
10-10-15, 00:26
Fanboys drive me nuts. Their rifle insert brand name here is the best and anything else sucks.

A few years ago on another forum, there was an expert who would offer advice to anyone who posted questions. As it turns out, he never owned a firearm in his life and got his info from google. Got away with it for a while too. What a dumbass....

donlapalma
10-10-15, 03:20
Guys who have "been around guns their whole life" and think that automatically gives them some credibility or knowledge. Guess what guy, I've been eating food my whole life but that doesn't make me an expert on nutrition or food. It's easily possible that you've been taught WRONG shit your whole life so calm dafuq down, pay attention, lose the ego, and you just might learn something.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

elephant
10-10-15, 04:05
A few years ago on another forum, there was an expert who would offer advice to anyone who posted questions. As it turns out, he never owned a firearm in his life and got his info from google. Got away with it for a while too. What a dumbass....

Kind of like a guy I met a while back who showed me pictures on his phone of all his AR's, all of which were decked out completely, he had like 5 guns and all of them were bad ass, looked like SFOD-D or Devgru guns with AN/ PEQ laser designators, ACOGS, ELCAN, Eotech holographic sights with 3x magnifier, surefire weapon lights with remote tape switches, sopmod stocks, vertical foregrips and suppressors and custom painted. One was a Mk18 mod 0 with a Mk IV scope, Harris bipod and painted in a desert tan. Then I found out that they were all airsoft guns a few weeks later!

JC5188
10-10-15, 04:35
Looking on YouTube for something I'm researching to buy, and getting thru the "review by" production info, only to find out its ****ing airsoft.

Hey asshole! That's NOT an ACOG!!!

Sent from my iPhone

FSTRN
10-10-15, 04:52
Punisher skulls. They are the Orange County Choppers of the AR world.

Sticks
10-10-15, 06:01
People who start a thread about wanting advice to get their first AR, 15+ experienced and respected forum members who know what they are talking about post advice about what is good, and what to avoid, just to have the same noob show up 2 days later with a post "My first AR - Bushmaster (or DPMS/Olympic/DelTon/any other bottom feeder)"

People who defend said bottom feeders because theirs has been flawless for the last 8+ years and 1500 rounds.

People bragging about accuracy of their rifle because it will hit an 8" plate all day at 100 yards.

3 shot groups (already mentioned) are all you need to show accuracy.

ETA People who harsh on battery powered optics for SHTF and TEOTWAWKI because availability and/or the battery fails, when the battery will outlast their ammo supply.

ABNAK
10-10-15, 08:00
Its funny how somebody can obsess over little nuances between a speer gold dot, winchester rangers, remington golden sabres, etc. These differences don't matter to anyone except in a laboratory.

Especially when some retard is running hollow point ammo through a short pistol.

Its the same with duck hunting loads and chokes.

You do know that, here in 2015, there are some that actually do work out of short barrels. This ain't the 90's Scott.

jdchen0407
10-10-15, 08:35
Obama =)

jdchen0407
10-10-15, 08:38
for real though Air softers! check out this link of a dude that gets shot point blank and loses his cool and cry's about it, then imagine if he had a read gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOotTRkoFs8

Berserkr556
10-10-15, 09:31
People who call firearms "Platform" i.e., the AR platform, etc. I don't care if you're some super, uber delta specop commando it's a carbine or a rifle, it's not a platform. And don't bother trying to tell me different because I've heard it all before. The whole platform, tactical, modular thing is way overused and when someone says one or more of those words I just tune them out. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Cheap people and the "just as good as" crowd which goes hand in hand. They're also the same people who will say, "there is only a handful of companies making AR parts and everyone just buys from these companies and then adds their brand name." I know people who ask my advice on a AR purchase and then buy junk. They make more money than I and have more disposable income yet will turn around and buy the cheapest AR and say I don't see the difference between your BCM and my junk AR. This is after I've spent time informing them on the differences between a quality AR you can go to war with and one that's going to take a shit on you at the range. I've read it on the forums as well.

The fools at the public range, which I seldom visit, that see me pull out an AK at the 300 yard range and say you should be at the 50. That's when I remove the Aimpoint and hit the target using only the iron sights. They see my hits through their spotting scope and most never say another word. Some have even packed up and left.

People who say the M14 and FAL are old and outdated like if I shot them with one of those rifles they'd still be standing unharmed. If I had to go to war today and could only have an M14 or FAL I wouldn't hesitate nor would I be concerned that my rifle is outdated.

The lightweight crowd. I hate them as much as the "just as good as" crowd. They have to know the weight of everything from rails to sights in their quest to find an AR that weighs nothing. Most of them will never carry their AR any farther than from their vehicle to the range and back.Give me a break, yeah I get the whole weight thing and you can only hump so much, I've been there and done that. You think an AR is heavy, HA !

People crying about the recoil of an AR, give me a break !

Kain
10-10-15, 09:34
People that say the 5.56 is inadequate for military useage. Then when you begin to argue with them their experience is "I've been deer hunting for 30 years".

Or a tangent of the above.... the guy whose brotbers uncles cousin was in "the sand box" and discarded hi M4 because it was crap and the 5.56 didn't "put them down". Once he picked up an enemy AK47 he was walking death incarnate.

Or how the 5.56 fails to go through any cover used by the enmey. I recently had a thread on another site where a guy said that a single magazines worth of 7.62 NATO from an M14 would penetrate a wall and kill the guy behind that 300 rounds from a M16 couldnt.

Hmm, sounds like the guy I heard who was claiming that an AK was a great sniper system and that VC snipers used them to kill US servicemen in Vietnam at 1500 meters on a regular basis. Or the guys, in general, who claim the AK will run FOREVER!!!!! because it is an AK, yet have never run more than 2k through their WASRs but claim that an AR15 will burn out a barrel in 2k rounds. So I suppose my biggest pev are people who pull shit out of their ass and don't know shit about shit. Quite truly just because you've been around guns for 30 years doesn't mean you know anything ****ing thing, and if you do, there is the real chance that your info is so outdated to be useless. Guy who like to preface their bitching about anything I own with the "Back when I was your age." Hey, bub, your 30 plus years older than I am. Think shit might have changed a bit?

The just as good or better than crowd also piss me off. I'm talking about the guys who want to claim that their shit is better because they paid less for something that looks like the same thing I have(No your POS ACOG lookalike red dot from POSTAR is not better than my ACOG because it had multiple reticule color options, now shut up and go away), or who paid more for a POS and need to stroke their ego(No your DPMS sportical is not better than either of my BCMs, and no Delta did not use them to kill bin laden, and no just because you took it up the ass with no lube and paid $3k for it doesn't make it better then my BCM that with Scout, Acog, Larue rail, and other accessories I have less in it total than what you paid.).

Abraham
10-10-15, 09:49
I wasn't the first on this thread to mention this, but when I read or hear "platform", I too grit my teeth and think what a "douche"!

SteveL
10-10-15, 09:51
I wasn't the first on this thread to mention this, but when I read or hear "platform", I too grit my teeth and think what a "douche"!

I feel the same way nowadays when the word "flawless" pops up.

K1tt3n5
10-10-15, 10:17
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m61/proto19/8989B32D-1A5F-41B3-9B79-8184C626D9B6.png.jpeg (http://s101.photobucket.com/user/proto19/media/8989B32D-1A5F-41B3-9B79-8184C626D9B6.png.jpeg.html)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m61/proto19/2037478B-EB5D-4DC7-B739-89A804C054FE.png.jpeg (http://s101.photobucket.com/user/proto19/media/2037478B-EB5D-4DC7-B739-89A804C054FE.png.jpeg.html)

This shit, why do people want this?

MistWolf
10-10-15, 10:23
Yeah, I dislike "platform". It ranks right up there with "direct impingement AR", "gun" (when speaking of rifles) and "1x power" when speaking of sights like the Aimpoint.

I also dislike aluminum handguards or any handguard with 40 acres of rail estate. Another are the claims of velocity gains & handiness of 18 inch barrels. Velocity gains over the 16 inch are about 50 to 100 fps, not enough to justify the extra two inches. Velocity gain when going from 16 to 20 inches is double that.

I wonder about folks who speak with authority about features, accessories, etc., without having ever firing a shot using them.

However, none of it keeps me from shooting with my buddies, enjoying their company or using their firearms to shoot up their ammo :D

kirkland
10-10-15, 10:36
People who think the 6.5 Grendel is god's gift to the AR platform ;) and think that is some kind of super secret awesome sniper/hunting cartridge that can easily drop a man or a beast at well beyond 1000 yards.

uffdaphil
10-10-15, 11:24
Sellers on Armslist who don't list a price. Buyer/Seller/Trader on Armslist who expect to record my home address. Hey, there is a reason I'm meeting you in a neutral place.

Sellers on EE who don't list their location. That case of ammo nobody is buying because shipping? Locals can pick up. Sellers on EE who bump forever.

BillBond
10-10-15, 11:28
People that say things with their keyboard and cloak of anonymity that they would never say face to face.

That is one of the things I dislike the most about this and every other site I go to.

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 11:34
The
People who call firearms "Platform" i.e., the AR platform, etc. I don't care if you're some super, uber delta specop commando it's a carbine or a rifle, it's not a platform. And don't bother trying to tell me different because I've heard it all before. The whole platform, tactical, modular thing is way overused and when someone says one or more of those words I just tune them out. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Cheap people and the "just as good as" crowd which goes hand in hand. They're also the same people who will say, "there is only a handful of companies making AR parts and everyone just buys from these companies and then adds their brand name." I know people who ask my advice on a AR purchase and then buy junk. They make more money than I and have more disposable income yet will turn around and buy the cheapest AR and say I don't see the difference between your BCM and my junk AR. This is after I've spent time informing them on the differences between a quality AR you can go to war with and one that's going to take a shit on you at the range. I've read it on the forums as well.

The fools at the public range, which I seldom visit, that see me pull out an AK at the 300 yard range and say you should be at the 50. That's when I remove the Aimpoint and hit the target using only the iron sights. They see my hits through their spotting scope and most never say another word. Some have even packed up and left.

People who say the M14 and FAL are old and outdated like if I shot them with one of those rifles they'd still be standing unharmed. If I had to go to war today and could only have an M14 or FAL I wouldn't hesitate nor would I be concerned that my rifle is outdated.

The lightweight crowd. I hate them as much as the "just as good as" crowd. They have to know the weight of everything from rails to sights in their quest to find an AR that weighs nothing. Most of them will never carry their AR any farther than from their vehicle to the range and back.Give me a break, yeah I get the whole weight thing and you can only hump so much, I've been there and done that. You think an AR is heavy, HA !

People crying about the recoil of an AR, give me a break !

Your newsletter. I'd subscribe.

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 11:40
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m61/proto19/8989B32D-1A5F-41B3-9B79-8184C626D9B6.png.jpeg (http://s101.photobucket.com/user/proto19/media/8989B32D-1A5F-41B3-9B79-8184C626D9B6.png.jpeg.html)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m61/proto19/2037478B-EB5D-4DC7-B739-89A804C054FE.png.jpeg (http://s101.photobucket.com/user/proto19/media/2037478B-EB5D-4DC7-B739-89A804C054FE.png.jpeg.html)

This shit, why do people want this?

Wow. Wow. Those lowers are the dumbest things I've ever seen! Maybe...maybe if they were props in some scary movie? Nah....still stupid.

To each their own though.

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 11:45
That is one of the things I dislike the most about this and every other site I go to.

Yeah I don't get it. Forget the tough guy act, I've seen smart people act like morons when they post. I don't know if it's a sign of immaturity, or just people acting like that to try and garner respect. I don't get it.

ABNAK
10-10-15, 11:49
Folks who think the 300 Blackout is the best thing since sliced bread and eagerly sit with baited breath for a snippet of news that Delta/DEVGRU/other Secret Squirrel unit has used it. Suppressed, yeah yeah, whatever.......if I want a .30 cal AR I'll get a .308 or 7.62x39 one that doesn't launch overweight projectiles like a mortar past 150 meters.

Oh, and guys who shoot cheap-ass steel-cased ammo almost exclusively and then complain about malfunctions.

Benito
10-10-15, 11:50
Let's see, in no particular order, and including but not limited to:
Communists, SJWs, "community organizers" turned President, Islamophiles, exposed gas tubes, cheap Chinese optics, Hitlery (Bill's wife),
Chinese quad rails, Chinese tactical nylon gear, the NFA, bureaucrats pushing their agenda and abusing their power, the idea of the Constitution as a "living" document, the Brady Bunch, Doe-faced whore (a.k.a. Shannon Watts), Comrade Bloomberg, Comrade Cuomo, ARs with barrels longer than 20", ARs with no threading on the muzzle, bullet buttons, "Compliant" ARs, using a carry handle on top of a railed upper.

Barrel profiles that make no sense. Basically, anything that gets thicker towards the muzzle, and anything that has notches for a M203 (etc.) where there is no realistic chance the end user of the barrel will install such a thing. Between M4 clone and M16A2 derived profiles, this is probably 90% or more of the non-stainless barrels on the market.

The relatively recent tapered profiles - Daniel Defense's S2W, BCM's ELW/EMW, and Faxon's "Gunner" profile, are all huge steps in the right direction.

Beat me to it. The Governmen profile is my biggest AR pet peeve.

Buying an really expensive AR15 / and scope .... and then using the cheapest in-accurate ammo to sight it in.

All the time wondering why the combo won't shot tiny groups.

I have witnessed numerous people at the range shooting XM whatever ... adjusting the scope after every shot... for 20 minutes.... "thinking that that ammo should shoot better then this" in my expensive firearm...

Expecting the rifle scope combo to "force" the cheap ammo shoot better....:rolleyes:

OK, I admit to being guilty of this in the past.

Agreed with the rest of your post, but even though I'm not a lightweight freak, I do understand wanting to know weights, as you need a reference for comparison, and ounces do equal pounds.

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 12:08

We are all entitled to our opinion, but "Platform" is in fairly wide usage in engineering, military, aviation, and automotive usage to describe items (Systems?) which allow multiple configurations to built on a common core component. (wanted to use platform there as well.)

The AR-15 world is exactly that, you could argue the MP-5 was, etc. Rem 700's are more of a stretch. But if it's ok to use for airplanes, APC's (Strykers, bradleys), Helo's, cars ("the new XB is built on the Camry platform"), etc, then I don't consider it to be douchery with the AR.

Arik
10-10-15, 12:17
People who can't stop saying "steel is real"

People who proclaim that any firearm must be made of wood and metal only

People who give thumbs up on a gun because they have OWNED it for 20 years yet can't remember the last time it was shot and usually don't have a 100 rounds through them.

Guys who purposely write "Block" or "Glop" when talking about a Glock. Yea we get it, you don't like Glocks but stop acting like a god damn child.

People who say "life is too short to carry an ugly gun"

People who buy self defense guns based on looks and emotions

People who still advocate carrying a gun with an empty chamber

Guys who proclaim modern hollow points are overpriced gimmicks. Usually the same guys who think night sights are gimmicks too.

Anyone who uses the term "if it was good enough for.......then it's good enough for me" Usually spoken about someone from 50 - 100 years ago. On conversation on another forum a poster said "if it was good enough for Patton, it's good enough for me" referring to Patton carrying SA revolvers. Yea well Patton also had hundreds of tanks and thousands of armed men around him.

Anyone who finds the one odd example to justify their use/purchase of a particular firearm while ignoring decades of data that says otherwise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Abraham
10-10-15, 12:19
The "P" word should be banished when associated with guns.

Why?

Because the utterer wants to impress and he does, but not favorably...

He sounds like a douche wannabe gun guru, with his pinky thrust in the air, half glasses down his nose with a pseudo-professorial bull shit, know it all, smirk on his face.

In other words, a mega-douche.

docsherm
10-10-15, 12:28
Super fans of product "X" because some "cool guy" who was paid a great deal of money says that it is great. Then when you try and explain the truth they say; well, (incert cool guy's name here) says it is the best and nothing can come close. Yet they have no ideas or any actual experience of their of there own. Marketing at its best.

Another is the light weight crowd. People who HAVE to make their AR super light but sacrificing overall functionality just to cut weight. It is not like they are carrying it around all day and doing dynamic stuff while holding it..... Unless taking it out of a case at the range is a workout....then they may want to skip the range and hit the gym.

And one of my favorites is the "unique caliber" fan boy. "Well 6.92 is the best round in the world to hunt ducks at more than 2 miles." OK, so what else can it do? "That is it , but is is the best at that"........... Right:suicide2:

CCK
10-10-15, 12:33

Why?

He sounds like a douche wannabe gun guru, with his pinky thrust in the air, half glasses down his nose with a pseudo-professorial bull shit, know it all, smirk on his face.

what is the P word?
polymer?

ubet
10-10-15, 12:35
Mine, people who go cheap I optics.

kirkland
10-10-15, 12:37
Douchebag forum word police who jump all over someone's ass if they use the wrong words like "clips" instead of "mags" or phases like "running" their gun.

Douchebag senior forum members who jump all over some noob's ass just for asking a simple question and telling him things like "use the search function" and "this has been covered 1000's of times already" and "google is your friend"

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 12:47

Maybe context matters... This statement: "The AR-15 platform is unlikely to be replaced in mainstream military usage for some time" is reasonable and the context is used on a regular basis by very serious and professional individuals.

But this statement: "I'm a platform guy, myself" or similar is non-sensical. I've never heard it as an alternative to carbine or rifle. "Hey, get that guy at 100m with your platform"... :-)

The fools at the public range, which I seldom visit, that see me pull out an AK at the 300 yard range and say you should be at the 50. That's when I remove the Aimpoint and hit the target using only the iron sights.

Old saying: " Beware they man with only one gun, as he likely knows how to use it."

Many people forget how effective the out of vogue battle rifles are even with iron sights. This could include even the AR in basic M-16 form.

The thing I loved most about the HK91 was that it was relatively easy to hit things with open sights far beyond what most sporting rifles would do. My kids had me take the scope off ours before I sold it as they enjoyed it more with irons.

That said... map out what the weight of a basic 200 round combat load is between the battle rifles and the M4 and perspective changes.

Alternate view, to me the guys that are silly are the ones that turn AR's into 10lb monstrosities, then talk about SHTF/EOTWAWKI stuff. Like you'll be driving everywhere.

Modern infantry carries huge loads (way more than they should) but depend on calorie rich rations to do so. Get in a real situation where you are rucking everything you own/need to survive without resupply and perspective changes.

I've never been a fan of over accessorizing, view it as a bit amateurish if not a professional trigger-puller. Not defending the titanium/carbon fiber stuff, but one of the big advantages of the AR design is it's lightness relative to alternatives.

Having recently built a DD based lightweight KISS carbine, I rediscovered how effective the basic M4 package is even with open sights. Shorter, lightweight barrel. Basic MOE M-Lock/CTR furniture, LMT rear sight, FFB front. I had originally planned to put an aimpoint on that one, but I think I'm going to leave totally KISS with irons for a bit.

People who think the 6.5 Grendel is god's gift to the AR platform ;) and think that is some kind of super secret awesome sniper/hunting cartridge that can easily drop a man or a beast at well beyond 1000 yards.

Hah! I've seen a bit of this in the forums. :-) But the serious Grendel shooters I know (myself included) would never say that. But probably do feel it does a very good job of optimizing the capabilities of the AR platform (there we go) given receiver/mag/bolt lug constraints, etc. And has some less obvious advantages. I don't try to convince people of why, they'll either figure out, don't care, or don't want to hear. Likewise, I feel nothing will replace 5.56 in most of our lifetimes anyway, so it's a niche hobby thing.

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 13:09

Why?

So what word do you use to describe a design which allows common sub assembly (lower) to be used with 8-9 major calibers (plus wildcats) by pressing 2 pins? Uses common components, tools, etc even for those variants to achieve consistent ergonomics whether carbine, rifle, or sub-gun length barrels? Common web gear to common magazines or at least form factor?

I'll even concede the Glocks are probably a platform given maintainability, common parts, and modularity. Canon & Nikon SLR's are a platform. Sikorsky S-7,S-70D,S-70B,MH-60R,MH-60S and Blackhawks are a platform. Forums like this one run on a platform. It's a very commonly used word in the real world. :-) Implied in the term is both a level of standardization and adoption.

Douche is an individual thing. Words do not make douchery, attitudes and actions do.

But that's the best thing about pet peeves, we are all allowed to have our own! So I respect your right to be offended by the word platform. And if I were a politician, I'd probably make that part of my platform. And when I got up on the platform to make my first speech, I'd make that clear!

kirkland
10-10-15, 13:15
Vendors who are too incompetent to correctly run their website so the prices in the cart don't even match the prices advertised elsewhere on the same site, then they overcharge/send you the wrong shit, and their customer service dicks you around for months before finally fixing the problem

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 13:27
And one of my favorites is the "unique caliber" fan boy. "Well 6.92 is the best round in the world to hunt ducks at more than 2 miles." OK, so what else can it do? "That is it , but is is the best at that"........... Right:suicide2:

That's just crazy... everyone knows the 7.64 is far more effective for that, at least against pin-tails. :-)

I think it's a hobbiest thing... we have such a wide range of options to chose from. And think the AR world is bad, you should hear the debates in the hunting (especially long range) crowds. .280 vs .280 AI. What, maybe 50 fps difference? shooting same bullet out of same rifle design (Oops, almost used the p word)

We also have the generalized (good at many things, but never best) vs the specialized (optimize for specific situations). One man's flexibility is another mans compromised. We are lucky to have both options, but I'd never pick specialized as the only option without the generalized solution to fall back to.

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 13:35
For me, it's probably the "pull the trigger as fast as you can while clearly not aiming or hitting" crowd at the range.

Usually with an AK clone, assault 10/22 with large mag, or similar. Or yesterday, the guy on the rifle range with the assault shotgun with the rotary mag. Shooting at an OBL target at 5 yards.

All of which are fine if that's the firearm you are interested in. But I don't see the joy of shooting without hitting your target, or even getting close. The old "you can't miss fast enough to win" thing.

kremtok
10-10-15, 13:36
People who have never owned an AR before who say they have a $3000+ budget for their first rifle and must spend it all on a 'premium' brand. I've read about it here and have friends / acquaintances who have said this to me in real life and I always cringe. And they never listen to reason.

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 13:39
Vendors who are too incompetent to correctly run their website so the prices in the cart don't even match the prices advertised elsewhere on the same site, then they overcharge/send you the wrong shit, and their customer service dicks you around for months before finally fixing the problem

Speaking of this, companies that take days to ship stuff. If I order and pay for something it should ship that day it the next.

That's why I only buy from PA unless they don't have what I'm looking for.

el_chingoton13
10-10-15, 13:48
People that claim to be be firmly for the 2A but ask me why I need as many black rifles as I have.

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 13:50
Gougers and their sad cousins the flippers.

Gouger being defined as a vendor who opportunistically raises prices in anticipation of supply/demand issues long before the wholesale cost of same has gone up. This is beyond normal managing for profitability, it's their right to do so. Cheaper than Dirt behavior comes to mind. Long memory, I will never buy from them again. Don't even look, had them remove me from their mailing list.

And the flippers I hate are the ones who take advantage of the honest vendors who do not raise prices proactively, then go to the shows and flip.

kirkland
10-10-15, 13:50
People that claim to be be firmly for the 2A but ask me why I need as many black rifles as I have.

And people who say they're for the 2A but wonder why you would ever need a 30rd magazine, surely 10 rounds is plenty for any situation they say.

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 13:56
****ing Kryptek anything.

Cheap optics

Dudes who buy stocks/grips/etc before a proper sling/optic

Anyone opposed to lights

Goofball calibres like 404 Jefferey ARs

Hydrodipped guns

Hydrodipped Kryptek guns

Anything with a skull engraved on it

Zombie Shit

Nylon holsters

Kryptek nylon holsters

Dudes with a metric shit ton of guns and absolutely ZERO support gear

Dudes who say they don't need support gear, they will just stuff a mag in their pocket when ZOMG SHTEOTWAWKI

Replacing a component of a perfectly reliable, functioning smokewagon with the latest golly-gee-willakers whizz-bang tactical doodad

Kydex holster turnaround times

Kryptek kydex holster turnaround times

Kryptek

el_chingoton13
10-10-15, 14:02

Cheap optics

Anyone opposed to lights

Hydrodipped guns

Hydrodipped Kryptek guns

Zombie Shit

Nylon holsters

Kryptek nylon holsters

Dudes who say they don't need support gear, they will just stuff a mag in their pocket when ZOMG SHTEOTWAWKI

Replacing a component of a perfectly reliable, functioning smokewagon with the latest golly-gee-willakers whizz-bang tactical doodad

Kryptek
So you're saying you like kryptek?

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 14:04

Cheap optics

Anyone opposed to lights

Hydrodipped guns

Hydrodipped Kryptek guns

Zombie Shit

Nylon holsters

Kryptek nylon holsters

Kryptek

Cmon now, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! Lol

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 14:09
One of my buddies LOVES Kryptek. I am always on his ass, razzing the shit out of him for being a tactical fag.

Every now and again, I will send him pictures of my daughter's "Kryptek" pants. Said pants are usually some kind of flower-patterned girliness.

God I hate Kryptek.

Cmon now, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! Lol

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 14:11
As much as I hate Kryptek, I sincerely hate cheap optics even more.

black22rifle
10-10-15, 14:23
People who post pictures of their handgun with a magazine in it and then show a spare magazine right next to it with the top round in backwards like in that HK ad. :suicide:

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 14:26

Yeah, I don't get it either. Like guys who want a hundred dollar red dot, or get a clone.

I mean, outside of the gun functioning it's the main mechanism that enables you to hit the target! Lol. Why would you put a sub standard optic on the gun?!!

I mean, if you're in a pinch the Primary Arms and Vortex are very durable optics and they are less than $200. I can't believe anyone would try to spend less than that on an optic.

I have to be honest I don't even like cheap optics on guns that are range toys only. You're still going to waste time with losing zero and other issues when you could be shooting.

E_Johnson
10-10-15, 14:27
My personal pet peeve is the ridiculously high magnification optic mounted on a bottom feeder AR with a non free floated, 1/9 twist barrel. Frequently accompanied by a utg bipod and/or steel cased ammo.

On the plus side, the user is able to see in highly magnified detail the inadequacy of their choices. Assuming they are shooting somewhere other than the 50 yard range.

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 14:31
Speaking of 50 yard range.

The farking Fudd's that crowd the range before hunting season. They come in with tons of gear. Set up spotting scopes. Take forever. Bullshit with each other over how big of a buck they are going to bag, shoot five rounds, and then take forever to leave.

I don't have anything against hunting but these guys kill me. Lol

CCK
10-10-15, 14:42
Gougers and their sad cousins the flippers.

Gouger being defined as a vendor who opportunistically raises prices in anticipation of supply/demand issues long before the wholesale cost of same has gone up. This is beyond normal managing for profitability, it's their right to do so. Cheaper than Dirt behavior comes to mind. Long memory, I will never buy from them again. Don't even look, had them remove me from their mailing list.

And the flippers I hate are the ones who take advantage of the honest vendors who do not raise prices proactively, then go to the shows and flip.

In this comment:" I'm a communist who hates sellers and BUYERS arriving at a price I personally consider to be too high"

QuickStrike
10-10-15, 14:49
Slightly annoyed by:

Over-accesorized AR's with cheap parts

People who actually whine about "platform", sounds about same as "system" or "design" to me.

People who think AR's are a POS design, confirmed by Deltons and olympic arms, and how their buddy in the MIL said that they jammed all the time and needed to be spotless to work.

Idiots who try one-up me at the range. Like when I am doing speed drills with a glock, he takes an AR out and bumpfires it to make noise. Meanwhile, not even using a target.

Weenies who bitch about me shooting "fast". If the rounds stay within a 8.5x12" piece of paper, whats the problem? Usually they shoot .22's at a slow pace, often with large groupings...

Ryno12
10-10-15, 15:02

The farking Fudd's that crowd the range before hunting season. They come in with tons of gear. Set up spotting scopes. Take forever. Bullshit with each other over how big of a buck they are going to bag, shoot five rounds, and then take forever to leave.

So are all hunters "Fudds"? Are they supposed to blast 100s of rounds just to appease you when it may only take less than five rounds to confirm zero? This also may be a rifle they only shoot once a year for a particular season and some calibers are over $6/round.
Keep in mind, there are plenty of sportsmen out there that have zero interest in dirt shooting with ARs.

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 15:09
In this comment:" I'm a communist who hates sellers and BUYERS arriving at a price I personally consider to be too high"

Yep, that's me... durn commnist!! BTW, how's that wal-mart .22 ammo flipping gig working for you? :-)

I'm a big believer in the "Fair Market Value" definition... and the right for vendors to set their own price/profit.

But that free market thing is tricky... there is a line that is crossed and I'll just write them off, for a very long time. As will many, many others. CTD crossed that, as did one Mega LGS.

I support the smaller, local guy who said he'll keep selling items (P-mags, in this case) at the same price until his wholesale price goes up.

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 15:12
So are all hunters "Fudds"? Are they supposed to blast 100s of rounds just to appease you when it may only take less than five rounds to confirm zero? This also may be a rifle they only shoot once a year for a particular season and some calibers are over $6/round.
Keep in mind, there are plenty of sportsmen out there that have zero interest in dirt shooting with ARs.

Nevermind they might be letting their lightweight barrel cool between shots when dialing final zero. Often at 200-300 yards, etc.

Just wait till the muzzle loading guys show up! :-)

CCK
10-10-15, 15:27
Yep, that's me... durn commnist!! BTW, how's that wal-mart .22 ammo flipping gig working for you? :-)

I'm a big believer in the "Fair Market Value" definition... and the right for vendors to set their own price/profit.

But that free market thing is tricky... there is a line that is crossed and I'll just write them off, for a very long time. As will many, many others. CTD crossed that, as did one Mega LGS.

I support the smaller, local guy who said he'll keep selling items (P-mags, in this case) at the same price until his wholesale price goes up.

I get it, you don't understand economics. No need to explain further.

Ryno12
10-10-15, 15:28
Nevermind they might be letting their lightweight barrel cool between shots when dialing final zero. Often at 200-300 yards, etc.

Just wait till the muzzle loading guys show up! :-)

Well no kidding. I mean, it could be anything from a guy patterning his shotgun at 40 yards for turkey hunting, to a muzzle loader hunter, to a guy confirming zero on his bolt gun for elk hunting.
I have specific guns for hunting & some of those may shoot less than 3 rounds a year. I've got AR mags that have a higher capacity than some of my guns will ever shoot in a lifetime.

pinzgauer
10-10-15, 15:43
I get it, you don't understand economics. No need to explain further.

Yep, that's me. I'll just go use my invisible hand as a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured buyer to determine whether the advantages of a particular action are likely to outweigh its drawbacks and if I could achieve the desired ends with less means, or that the means employed could produce more of the ends desired....

Gouging, Flipping, and associated backlash is microeconomics in action. :-) But since it's a peeve thread you can be peeved at my peeve.

MistWolf
10-10-15, 16:52
To clarify: Using "platform" to describe a firearm annoys me. Using it to describe aircraft, tanks, ships, vehicles, stands and so on is the proper use of the term "platform". Platforms carry or support something. Aircraft, tanks, ships and vehicle carry wraps and troops into battle.

As far as insisting on the correct nomenclature goes, clear and precise communications is important

lawusmc0844
10-10-15, 17:00
Lightweight crowd - The M16/M4 FOW is already a lightweight PLATFORM (lol had to) Im not against lightening my rifle when it makes sense. My BCM middy with the 13" KMR rail and ELW barrel feels much lighter than my older BCM middy with DD Omega rail and BFH barrel, but its not that heavy and Im not changing out the rail. However using polymer lower receivers, drilling "speed holes" and agonizing over weight savings of 1oz is dumb in my opinion. If an extra 1oz feels like an extra 50lbs to you then seriously its time to lift some dumbbells. Speaking of fitness...

Fat ****s - America is embarrassing in many ways these days. One reason is the fact there is so many fat, out of shape Americans and the shooting community is no exception. Its especially bad when I see cops, active duty Marines, Soldiers, people in professions where fitness should be a high priority that can barely even fit in their uniforms. What good is being able to hit a 6x6 plate from 1000m when you can't shoot, move, and communicate without getting winded? Stop eating so much junk, stop listening to fat-acceptance PC propaganda, start going to the gym and work out more!

Nosy assholes at the range - As long as another shooter is safe, doesn't act like a bro douche or dressed like a douche or thug, isn't bothering me and doesn't give off shady vibes then I could give a **** less if he's wearing Multicam or what brand his AR is. People should worry about themselves and improving their own skills before they start worrying about other shooters. I also don't give a shit if someone in a communist police state is violating unconstitutional state laws. On some state forums there are faggots with high post counts that seemingly love to go out of their way to find shooters violating said laws and "enforce" them, if not ratting them out to the cops if they had the chance. Those laws won't be effective if shooters in those states collectively grow some nuts and start flouting said laws.

Irrational hate of insert brand/taking sides/fanboyism/blindly believing myths - I own Glocks and 1911s and can switch between them no problem. I also own a Mossberg 590 SPX and a Nighthawk customized Remington 870. I don't own an AK at this time but I love them but love the AR-15 more. Do shooters have to be such insufferable fanboys of one PLATFORM or brand and have an irrational hatred of the other? AKs are way more accurate than they're given credit for, me and my buddy consistently hit steel at 400m with his Arsenal AK with iron sights. ARs are very reliable despite what the internet says, only failures I've had with both issued and personal rifles is with bad USGI mags, lack of lube and bad ammo. Instead of taking a myth at face value, go actually shoot and most of the time, myth busted!

Bluto
10-10-15, 17:59
The word "tactical". God I hate that word.

For a long time I refused to buy anything with "tactical" in the description. I had a really hard time buying an fnx45 tactical as a suppressor host because it has "TACTICAL" engraved on its slide. I only take it out of its bag at the range if I'm alone. I haven't even told a single friend that I own this gun. I was even tempted to buy the standard model and buy a threaded barrel and suppressor sights just so I wouldn't have to look at the glaring "TACTICAL" on the slide. They may as well have engraved a douche bag instead of the word...

cbx
10-10-15, 18:14
So what about a barska optic, in tapco mount, ceracoated in kryptek typhoon, mounted on an ar type platform, that's hydrodiped in kryptek mandrake, with a sling in kryptek yeti, with a a 44 mag side arm in a kryptek highlander nylon holster that has a hydro dipped BSA red dot in navy marpat?

How does that fit into the matrix, for this platform?

cbx
10-10-15, 18:15
Just so outlander has the chart

http://www.patagonus.cl/media/wysiwyg/camo-fabric.jpg

docsherm
10-10-15, 18:36
So what about a barska optic, in tapco mount, ceracoated in kryptek typhoon, mounted on an ar type platform, that's hydrodiped in kryptek mandrake, with a sling in kryptek yeti, with a a 44 mag side arm in a kryptek highlander nylon holster that has a hydro dipped BSA red dot in navy marpat?

Great, now Outlander just stroked out..:jester:

Jewell
10-10-15, 18:52
The Punisher logo. It's on f***ing everything.

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 19:21
Gross.

****ing Pajamacam.

Just so outlander has the chart

http://www.patagonus.cl/media/wysiwyg/camo-fabric.jpg

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 19:24
Great, now Outlander just stroked out..:jester:

LOL!!!

My ultimate nightmare.

The only way that could be worse is if the Kryptek Highlander holster was a shoulder holster.

I think I've seen a couple of these setups at a public range, only it was an NCStar red dot at a 45-degree angle.

jbjh
10-10-15, 19:33
White gumballs, closely followed by mis-cut chambers.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

mballz23
10-10-15, 19:34

It doesn't bother me if you aren't "using" your rifle. The department I'm applying for allows personal patrol rifles, I've seen sight marks on patrol rifles... That bugs me. If you're depending your life on it. Invest in something you won't have second guess's on if it's going to fail. However I am buying a 1-6 Primary Arms because, well I want to take a deer with it and pull out to 1 to shoot pigs. But I'm not depending my life on that particular rifle so I'll stick to the 250 dollar 1-6 and not a 1400 dollar US Optics....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 19:39

I don't recall typing the word "all" in my post or even implying it. Thought the scenario I posed was pretty clear. Sorry if it wasn't.

I have no problem with anyone sighting in or doing anything in fact. Just don't tie up two lanes, one for you and one for your gear, take forever, and then take more time talking, and generally acting like they own the place.

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 19:56
Exactly.

What really grinds my gears is the cheap optic / no irons combo.

For what was spent on a POS optic, good irons could have been purchased, and fundamentals instilled...

Horses and water and drinking and all that...

It doesn't bother me if you aren't "using" your rifle. The department I'm applying for allows personal patrol rifles, I've seen sight marks on patrol rifles... That bugs me. If you're depending your life on it. Invest in something you won't have second guess's on if it's going to fail. However I am buying a 1-6 Primary Arms because, well I want to take a deer with it and pull out to 1 to shoot pigs. But I'm not depending my life on that particular rifle so I'll stick to the 250 dollar 1-6 and not a 1400 dollar US Optics....

JoshNC
10-10-15, 19:56
One of my biggest pet peeves is crap-tastic optics on a high quality firearm. I would rather shoot irons and save money until such time as I could afford a quality optic rather than add a cheap optic to a high end rifle.

26 Inf
10-10-15, 20:07

Reframe that and be thankful, if you belong to a gun club those guys are the ones who keep the club going - paying members who only show up once a year pay the bills for those who show up all the time.

irondude
10-10-15, 20:11
Not much bothers me. However, the guy that shows up at a class with crap gear, crap ammo, is argumentative with the instructors and other student, and can't shoot. That guy bothers me.

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 20:46
Reframe that and be thankful, if you belong to a gun club those guys are the ones who keep the club going - paying members who only show up once a year pay the bills for those who show up all the time.

I'd much rather pay more than deal with people like that. Just my .02 of course.

Thesandstonefiles
10-10-15, 20:48
Not much bothers me. However, the guy that shows up at a class with crap gear, crap ammo, is argumentative with the instructors and other student, and can't shoot. That guy bothers me.

Sort of inline with that. Guys who go up to everyone one the range and try to teach everyone the "right" way to shoot. Meanwhile they have 12 inch groupings at 7 yards.

ShooterM4
10-10-15, 21:07
The guys at my club who have tried to pick up my spent brass while I am still shooting in the combat pit I am using.

Turnkey11
10-10-15, 21:16
for real though Air softers! check out this link of a dude that gets shot point blank and loses his cool and cry's about it, then imagine if he had a read gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOotTRkoFs8

How did that guy make it past 2:00 without someone flipping his lightswitch?

sevenhelmet
10-10-15, 21:32
The guys at my club who have tried to pick up my spent brass while I am still shooting in the combat pit I am using.

This. These people seem to thrive at IDPA and USPSA matches. I've even seen guys cause delays by picking up brass between shooters, and picking up other people's brass without asking. Picking up brass is fine, I get that guys reload. Just wait until everyone is done at the stage...

Microadventure
10-10-15, 21:41
websites that paralyze my computer with blinking, flashing videos for crap I don't want. I have never bought anything from a blinking flashing video website. 20 years ago, you went to a web site, it was about the thing you looked up. look up a BCG, there it is all over the page. now it takes up 6% of the page, surrounded by ads for things you looked up last month. you forget what you came looking for because it is such an insignificant portion of the page.

sevenhelmet
10-10-15, 21:42
websites that paralyze my computer with blinking, flashing videos for crap I don't want. I have never bought anything from a blinking flashing video website. 20 years ago, you went to a web site, it was about the thing you looked up. look up a BCG, there it is all over the page. now it takes up 6% of the page, surrounded by ads for things you looked up last month. you forget what you came looking for because it is such an insignificant portion of the page.

That's an easy pet peeve to fix. Download Ad Blocker Pro- it's free, and effective. :)

elephant
10-10-15, 23:12
So I suppose my biggest pev are people who pull shit out of their ass and don't know shit about shit.

That's funny

Zirk208
10-10-15, 23:25
UTG/Lepers crap,
"Just as good as...",
"Colt is junk...",
"They're all the same..."
"You're only paying for a roll mark..."
"My friend's neighbor's cousin was in the military, so he knows what he's talking about..."
Every gun store counter salesman...ever

elephant
10-10-15, 23:41

Yeah, like the guy who hated on my glock 17 that I stippled my self and got great reviews on this forum, yet points to his custom spray painted hi point and says they have more patents than any other gun maker. - Kiss My ass, you Dickless Cocksucker!!

tbaker
10-10-15, 23:42
People who can't follow simple rules at the gun range. It's not hard: follow the announcements and DON'T MESS WITH YOUR GUN (during cease fire). Don't like the rules? Then go somewhere else, or guy buy your own land and do whatever you want.

People who make a complete mess at the range. Seriously, your trash of "shoot n see" pages, ammo boxes and brown paper and plastic holders from said boxes, coke cans and other garbage; walk your lazy ass to the trash and throw it away. Don't knock it to the ground and "conveniently" forget it. You're old enough to own a firearm, you're old enough to pick up after yourself. Have a little respect for you and fellow shooters and the range.

Grown men who act like immature teenagers on the pistol line; that don't follow the rules, and then call me anal or a range nazi for politely advising them of posted rules. The rules exist for some semblance of safety, and also because you're usually the "know it all" dumb shit who is the first to sweep the line or do something else stupid.

People who don't realize just how good electronic ear-pro is, or for that matter realize many people wear electronic ear-pro. Yes, asshole, I heard everything you said about me, including your comment of "I don't have to listen to the range officer; I will do what I want". Same asshat also bragged about the deal on his new glock 17 for $650 to his buddy.

Every "tactical" shop in Houston. Every shop that employs some "badass gunsmith" yet said person can't assemble a simple lower with parts properly.

As mentioned in other posts - hearing (despite all the good laughs i enjoy) all the bullshit of people making excuses for crap ammo/cheap ass "optics/scopes"/crap parts etc when their gun doesn't do what they want it too/think it should do or "hold a zero". Sorry that your $30 scope made for an air rifle isn't performing on your AR15 sir.

kirkland
10-10-15, 23:56
Speaking of gun store counter salesmen, two come to mind. There was the one who told me that 230 grain 45 acp ammo was ok but he preferred the 185 grain because it had a heavier bullet. That one was just funny, the other one really peeved me off. I walked in and asked if they had any 7.5X55 Swiss ammo, for my K31. The guy said "Oh you must mean 6.5X55" he looks on the shelf, "nope we dont have any 6.5X55." I told him I didn't want 6.5X55, I wanted 7.5X55, I told him I had a K31, not a Swedish Mauser. He just smirked and again told me that I must have meant 6.5X55 took another look on the shelf and told me he didn't have any. So I walked out. Came back a week later and someone else was behind the counter, he found the 7.5X55 no problem.

matt86
10-11-15, 00:31
People who get worked up over other people's guns.

JC5188
10-11-15, 03:59
How did that guy make it past 2:00 without someone flipping his lightswitch?

Exactly. There was at least one "Ranger" there....

Sent from my iPhone

FChen17213
10-11-15, 05:37
"Rapid fire,"

"Combat accuracy,"

People who pretend to know what they don't. They can't hide it. All you have to do is watch them handle their weapon, load, unload etc.
People who do not know what a shot timer is but talk about speed. People who do not measure their groups and specify number of rounds, distance, ammo used, and talk about accuracy.
People who claim their guns can shoot a certain size group and use three round groups cherry picked. What would that group look like in a ten round group done five times?
Crappy rifles like DPMS and Bushmaster slathered with UTG and Chinese knockoff stuff when the guy could have gotten a Colt/BCM/DD and just stuck with irons and a case of ammo to actually shoot the gun.
Rich guys who show up with three or four super expensive pristine rifles with expensive optics and can't shoot a group at 50 or 100 yards bench rested.

praythenspray
10-11-15, 06:39
Speaking of gun store counter salesmen, two come to mind. There was the one who told me that 230 grain 45 acp ammo was ok but he preferred the 185 grain because it had a heavier bullet.

I literally closed my eyes and shook my head when I read that. His logic is baffling.

Mikill Drengr
10-11-15, 07:14
Too much rail and over accesorizing

MegademiC
10-11-15, 09:21
People who think 10mm will blow limbs off people, literally., especially when same people think 223 is worthless.

People who think fmj is acceptable for carry, especially because it's close range, like since your 2 feet away, not 25 yds, it's somehow Thor's hammer, but if it was further, then hp would be better? WTF?

Most of the time it's hunters who would never use fmj or field tips for hunting.

People who talk about anything with authority when they have no clue. It's almost as common in science/chemistry as gun talk.

CCK
10-11-15, 11:03
Cool guy photography. There I said it. I'm tired of the upside down rifle. The newest coolest gadget. The 5 varieties of glock 9 stacked in a row. The macro shots of writing on the side of the newest gadget. The guns piled on top of other guns
and gear.

So stick (I mean sick) of it. They're guns not some kind of voodoo, man.

Outlander Systems
10-11-15, 11:55
Daaaayyyyyum.

"oh no he DIDN'T"

Cool guy photography. There I said it. I'm tired of the upside down rifle. The newest coolest gadget. The 5 varieties of glock 9 stacked in a row. The macro shots of writing on the side of the newest gadget. The guns piled on top of other guns
and gear.

Uprange41
10-11-15, 12:29
Oh shit, #shotsfired

six8
10-11-15, 12:53
and gear.

Quoted, just because. Ha

MistWolf
10-11-15, 13:04
and gear.

Think he says the same thing about his girlie calendars?

ShooterM4
10-11-15, 13:13
I'd say when it comes to taking training classes, my biggest pet peeve is the guy who shows up to take the class and goes out of his way to try to convince all the other students that he almost too awesome even to be taking the class, but is doing it just to keep his skillz "fine tuned" and then tries to chime in when the instructor starts instructing with his own perspective on anything the instructor is saying. These guys either: shut up when they are told to, or get thrown out of the class.

sevenhelmet
10-11-15, 14:20
Oh shit, #shotsfired

Hashtags which link to nothing and are merely used to emphasize a point. :jester:

ShooterM4
10-11-15, 14:46
#agree

shadow93
10-11-15, 15:23
My biggest pet peeve is everything Chicago does to this state. I'm sure Southern Illinois is different but theres barely any ranges by me, and only 1 (that I know of) that isn't an hour away where I can even shoot my AR. When I do go to the outdoor one an hour away I have the option of 100 yards or 50 yards...both of which can only be done slow fire off a bench. Oh and the ranges are rather expensive IMO to even get into here. /End Rant

Agnostic
10-11-15, 15:35
...People who talk about anything with authority when they have no clue. It's almost as common in science/chemistry as gun talk.

This made me laugh, I work in a laboratory and see it all the time.

One pet peeve of mine is the whole zombie thing. It was fine at first for those looking to have a little fun but it now needs to go. Another is the LGS that charges $23.00 for a USGI mag.

JulyAZ
10-11-15, 15:46
People that worry about what gun and holster to carry without ever thinking of a gun belt, or even worst justify that a Walmart belt it's just as good for EDC.

E_Johnson
10-11-15, 15:50
Customized dust covers with things like "let it rain" or punisher skulls.

QuickStrike
10-11-15, 16:09
^ oh yeah. Im not a fan of punisher skulls, flames on anything, especially guns.

Im surprised they havent come up with "glock-nutz" grip plugs yet.

el_chingoton13
10-11-15, 16:19
^ oh yeah. Im not a fan of punisher skulls, flames on anything, especially guns.

Im surprised they havent come up with "glock-nutz" grip plugs yet.
Umm...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/el_chingoton13/87387_gunnuts_zps42n4tl91.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/el_chingoton13/media/87387_gunnuts_zps42n4tl91.jpg.html)

kirkland
10-11-15, 16:21
Umm...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/el_chingoton13/87387_gunnuts_zps42n4tl91.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/el_chingoton13/media/87387_gunnuts_zps42n4tl91.jpg.html)

Lol wow… now I have seen it all

JulyAZ
10-11-15, 16:34
Umm...

Wait until you see someone wearing these hanging off a nose ring...

kirkland
10-11-15, 16:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGZQFTlE9VA

sevenhelmet
10-11-15, 16:41
People that worry about what gun and holster to carry without ever thinking of a gun belt, or even worst justify that a Walmart belt it's just as good for EDC.

Guilty as charged, but I rectified the situation by ordering a package deal from Crossbreed. A man can learn a lot from his father-in-law who has been carrying for decades.

Pet peeve #1 (note the correct use of the pound/number symbol): Expressions like "ZOMG". I used to think it had something to do with the zombie craze, until I looked it up. It illustrates exactly how laziness is idolized in our culture.

#2: Balls hanging off guns, or trucks.

btq96r
10-11-15, 18:09
People who don't take the time to learn about the proper care and maintenance of their AR's (or any gun really).

I don't care if someone shoots an AR from Noveske, DD, RRA, or PSA...brand is usually a budget choice of the moment, and I'm just glad to have more shooters out there if they are exercising their rights responsibility. But, your badass toy comes with pain in the ass cleaning responsibilities.

Factor in the time for it after the range, it's not that bad at all if you have a few beers while you do it. I've seen more ARs at the range that have issues from simple user maintenance than anything else. No excuse for a lack of knowledge with Google out there to help you look up some steps from basic to advanced.

FaxonNathan
10-11-15, 18:32

We agree!

If we may add to the list: Customers who don't give us (or other companies) the chance to make something right. We're human and will occasionally make mistakes, but we will always make it right!

Sticks
10-11-15, 18:36
We agree!

If we may add to the list: Customers who don't give us (or other companies) the chance to make something right. We're human and will occasionally make mistakes, but we will always make it right!

And to that I am grateful the Mods here, and on other forums I hit, have a "Notify the manufacturer before you bitch" policy, and enforce it.

Turnkey11
10-11-15, 18:45
Wait until you see someone wearing these hanging off a nose ring...

So they can have balls smacking them in the mouth whenever they walk? :lol:

Kain
10-11-15, 18:50
Umm...

Well that is just a sign that they don't have any balls. Likely the guy, if one is inclined to call a eunuch a guy, who is rocking those is also the same person who is too scared to carry their gun with one in the chamber because they are afraid that it might just magically go off while in the holster.

And while on the subject of being scared of their guns, not sure if it has been mentioned, but gun forums and other shooters in general who are willing to coddle or stroke another shooter's ego, be them a new shooter, or otherwise, because they are afraid of hurting their feelings. I shit you not, saw a guy post a 10 shot 25 yard group a long while back on another forum that had to be at least 6 inches across. Guy wanted to know if it was good shooting and everyone was telling him how it was great, awesome, real precision work. I was the first to ask how he shot it, bench, or off hand, because depending that would affect my judgement, but in neither case it wasn't a super precision group. Another example was the guy who was afraid of carrying a 1911 cocked and locked and a bunch of dumbasses telling him how it was fine to carry hammer down on an empty chamber, how the Israeli's do that and are super ninja killers with no equal, and even one special dumb ass who claimed he could draw and rack a 1911 ONE HANDED and fire before ANYONE could draw and fire from a non-concealed holster and how it was faster and bunches of other bullshit. I spent half an hour typing a response basically calling everyone who coddled the little shit a dumb ass, and how their advice was ****ing stupid, breaking their fantasies with reality, and bringing in real world facts. I also challenged the one special dipshit to a draw competition for his gun of which he never did reply, and breaking down to teh OP that they needed to seek out professional training if they were not proficient with their choice of carry gun, and possibly look at another model if they were scared of a cocked hammer, and the whole major issue with the idea of thinking that under stress they were going to be able to draw rack and fire while being bum rushed, regardless what sir dickhead claimed, and just because the Isreali's did it didn't make it good, wise, or smart. I was basically told by one member that it wasn't nice to call someone or something stupid. My response broke down to, well if you are giving someone advice that could cost them or others there lives then I had no qualms about calling anyone stupid or hurting their feelings. That was the end of that particular thread.

AFshirt
10-11-15, 19:21
Instructors that act like they walk on water. I've been teaching for two decades for the military and now for a training company in the state of Florida. I'm the newest in th company and still feel like I have a lot to learn but I love it when someone with a newly minted NRA pistol instructor rating who has never even been on a podium tells us everything we are doing wrong.

sevenhelmet
10-11-15, 19:26
That reminds me: Anyone who uses bullshit lines about SEALS, SOF, USMC, the Israelis, etc to justify their usually very questionable methods.

Also: Anyone into firearms who uses their knowledge (real or imagined) as a backstop for their ego. This is usually done at the expense of a newcomer to shooting, or some aspect of shooting. They just can't wait to point out how much they know and/or what you're doing wrong. These people exist in every community, but for some reason they seem especially prevalent among "gun guys". We all know the type- there's honest advice, and then there's the gratuitous ego tripper. The best gun stores, instructors, and competitive shooters I know all know how to maintain their humility, even while pointing out something completely idiotic that I or someone else might have done.

JAMF
10-11-15, 19:32
BCG and CH not included.

Nocalsocal
10-11-15, 19:41
Yeah, the "bcg and ch not included" gets pretty irritating.

buckshot1220
10-11-15, 19:49
I agree with the overwhelming majority of posts here. I'll add;

1.) Items advertised in the EE as "New," and upon further reading find that is was only fired/carried/mounted/USED ONCE! Umm...that's not NEW!

2.) The fact that people still spend $600+ on bottom of the barrel ARs when Colt OEMs can be had for $730 shipped. Even more depressing, when people ask you what they should buy and you give them all of the advice and proper direction one could ever want and two days later you get a picture of an S&W MP15 "Optics Ready" carbine via text that says "Check it out! What sights fit this?" :mad:

armtx77
10-11-15, 19:58
Black licorice and people who claim to like that nasty chit.

-cheap optics and this goes beyond AR style rifles
-cheap guns choking on steel cased boom pills
-high speed,low drag talk from a guy with a bibod on his DPMS.
-THAT GUY at training classes that doesnt show up on day two because they ran his all knowing mouth out of there. Big thank you to you instructors for doing that. Im not a newbie, and Im not some great tactician , but pay good money to work with people who are better than me...helps me get better.
-Guys who say I over paid for an HK when they show me their Hipoint, XD or something I have never heard of.
-People who open carry at the range with a 10 mag load out on their belt and dont shoot any of it before packing up their Escalade.

sevenhelmet
10-11-15, 20:00
Rabid liberal retards who want to ban guns. :mad:

Thread complete! :dance3:

Servo
10-11-15, 20:04
When people think that accuracy (well precision rather) is the main or only way to judge the quality of a firearm.
Why do you think that people pay out the nose for a mint condition per 64 model 70??! Odds are it won't group better then any bottom barrel bolt action today.

BillyJack556
10-11-15, 20:09
Ranges that have rules like "No more than 1 shot per 5 seconds" and wannabe RO's/range Nazis that turn a fun day into something less than enjoyable.

fledge
10-11-15, 20:12
1) people who think the gun makes the man.

2) stupid letters written to the ATF

26 Inf
10-11-15, 20:44
Ranges that have rules like "No more than 1 shot per 5 seconds" and wannabe RO's/range Nazis that turn a fun day into something less than enjoyable.

You do understand that the board of directors or whoever runs the ranges you go to, generally ask all members to enforce the range rules, kind of good citizenship.

Ever ask think they have those rules?

Most of us aren't around on Monday morning when some poor board member is out picking up all the trash that folks left when having that fun day at the range, or to field the complaints about club members unsafe behavior.

elephant
10-11-15, 21:09
That reminds me: Anyone who uses bullshit lines about SEALS, SOF, USMC, the Israelis, etc to justify their usually very questionable methods.

Speaking of that, have you noticed the rise of people claiming to have been a "SEAL" or "SFOD-D" lately? They actually have a forum dedicated to exposing these people. There was a guy in his late 20's and he and his friends dressed up like Seals complete with beards, shemaghs, Oakley's, helmets with headsets and custom airsoft guns and had a few pictures taken of them in South West Texas-which looks like parts of Afghanistan. They had a couple of Latinos or Mexicans dress up like Afghan's posing with AK's and they passed these photos around posing as Seals from Seal team 4- needless to say, this guy was busted and exposed and members of the SF community didn't take his Seal claims lightly. They apparently tried to file a lawsuit against him.

T2C
10-11-15, 21:19
People with piss poor muzzle discipline.

BillyJack556
10-11-15, 21:21
You do understand that the board of directors or whoever runs the ranges you go to, generally ask all members to enforce the range rules, kind of good citizenship.

Ever ask think they have those rules?

Most of us aren't around on Monday morning when some poor board member is out picking up all the trash that folks left when having that fun day at the range, or to field the complaints about club members unsafe behavior.
For God's sake get a life man.

You do understand that this thread is for members to post THEIR pet peeves whatever they may be. Not to debate whether they are correct or why you don't agree with them.

You know nothing about my range, rules or the Nazis I speak of. I've been a member for 26 years and shooting for over 45 years. I know all the rules and had input on some of them.
I don't need some wannabe who isn't an RO standing behind me for 30 min watching my every move waiting for me to do something wrong. That is not an enjoyable experience.

In 17 pages of peeves as far as I can tell you are the only one to lecture someone about their peeve. Read the peeve, if you don't like it click and go on. You are not my dad and I don't want your opinion. Capiche?

26 Inf
10-11-15, 21:51
For God's sake get a life man.

You do understand that this thread is for members to post THEIR pet peeves whatever they may be. Not to debate whether they are correct or why you don't agree with them.

You know nothing about my range, rules or the Nazis I speak of. I've been a member for 26 years and shooting for over 45 years. I know all the rules and had input on some of them.
I don't need some wannabe who isn't an RO standing behind me for 30 min watching my every move waiting for me to do something wrong. That is not an enjoyable experience.

In 17 pages of peeves as far as I can tell you are the only one to lecture someone about their peeve. Read the peeve, if you don't like it click and go on. You are not my dad and I don't want your opinion. Capiche?

You know, you are kind of right. Sorry 'bout that. The Fireclean thread kind of soured me on you, mia culpa.

The get a life thing though, after your stuff during the Fireclean thread?

TaterTot
10-11-15, 21:56
"Game changer"

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

hals1
10-11-15, 22:08
I hate those stupid barrel profiles. Grenade launchers just aren't available at Walmart.

Hayseed
10-11-15, 22:33
1. Have firearm + went to the range + wore a cap with velcro on the front + wore multicryesfoddcam= OAF
2. Gear above skill; looking cool will make up for your lack of training.
3. "When can we do more high-speed training, I'm tired of this basic stuff"
4. Kryptek
5. SME's and seasoned shooters talking down to new people (especially on here); you were dumb once too.
6. Reliance on past accomplishments. No one cares you were a delta marspecial seal forces operator, can you shoot/teach/bring something to the table today?

AztecViking
10-11-15, 22:44
Tons of good posts here and I tend to agree with a lot of them. Someone pointed the "guy at the range blasting away at nothing". This brings me to my biggest pet peeve in firearms ownership(aside from anti gunners of course).

The gun owner that does nothing. He/she does not seek out information, vote, pay attention to gun laws (both state and federal), and obviously does not belong to the NRA, GOA, or any pro 2A organization. They are shocked when you tell them about proposed bills or even existing laws. I hate these types of gun owners the most.

SLewis
10-11-15, 23:17
Color filled engraving on guns.
As if that Spikes logo wasn't bad enough, you just had to go and fill it with red and white paint didn't you? Jeez...that shit makes me sick.

And those people who think you need a class 3 license to own an NFA item.

veeklog
10-11-15, 23:21
W

Cheap optics

Anyone opposed to lights

Hydrodipped guns

Hydrodipped Kryptek guns

Zombie Shit

Nylon holsters

Kryptek nylon holsters

Kryptek

Yeah, I don't get it either. Like guys who want a hundred dollar red dot, or get a clone.

I mean, outside of the gun functioning it's the main mechanism that enables you to hit the target! Lol. Why would you put a sub standard optic on the gun?!!

I mean, if you're in a pinch the Primary Arms and Vortex are very durable optics and they are less than $200. I can't believe anyone would try to spend less than that on an optic.

I have to be honest I don't even like cheap optics on guns that are range toys only. You're still going to waste time with losing zero and other issues when you could be shooting.

+1 on cheap optics; I like good quality optics that will last me forever. however, I do have a Primary Arms red dot for my AR Pistol and it has been flawless.

I think I hate giving advice to friends and telling them to buy quality products, yet they usually show up with less than stellar stuff and claim "it was good enough and better than Colt, BCM, KAC, Larue, etc"

SLewis
10-11-15, 23:30
"Game changer"

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

http://i.imgur.com/3nEdrCP.jpg

tostado22
10-11-15, 23:54
And those people who think you need a class 3 license to own an NFA item.
You mean everyone? I know its simply ignorance (I mean that in a nice way. Don't know what they don't know) but Jesus tap dancing Christ on a stick! I get questions about my "Class III" license all the time because I own NFA stuff. Then I explain that there is no such thing, the different FFLs and taxes. That is all followed by the usual, "Shit man I'll just make/buy whatever I want and if the gubment wants to say anything they can just molon labe derp derp derp" **** me, I'm going to pistol whip the next person that asks about my "machine gun" license, especially considering I don't own a MG

BoringGuy45
10-12-15, 00:34
One of my biggest pet peeves: Anti-innovation.

It gets tiresome and makes the firearms industry boring to constantly hear how the AR, AK, etc, are just FINE, thank you, so anyone who comes up with some new rifle can turn it sideways and cram it. It's also annoying to constantly hear that we actually need to turn back the clock, ditch these plastic guns, and go back to what was used in the last era that used real guns (of which, of course, there's no agreement). This isn't to say that we need to embrace every new idea that comes along; more often than it, it's snake oil. But we have a long history of not embracing new firearm technology until it's being used to shoot at our troops. Suddenly, repeaters, semi-autos, assault rifles, and such aren't such a bad idea.

elephant
10-12-15, 02:05
Grenade launchers just aren't available at Walmart.

Yeah, times have changed, sucks but it is what it is.

Shao
10-12-15, 06:37
People with piss poor muzzle discipline.

This x 1,000,000,000,000,000

I grew up with the original Star Wars movies and I think my dad did a great job by giving me the "Imagine that there's a mile long lightsaber sticking out of your barrel" speech.

Outlander Systems
10-12-15, 07:00
Interestingly enough, that is not dissimilar from what I was taught.

When I was a kid, my dad told me to imagine a laser that would cut anything it touched coming out of the muzzle.

I grew up with the original Star Wars movies and I think my dad did a great job by giving me the "Imagine that there's a mile long lightsaber sticking out of your barrel" speech.

BocaDan
10-12-15, 07:02

You know what, that's an excellent analogy. I'll use this too.

Cheers

ShooterM4
10-12-15, 07:04

Cheers

Was just thinking the same thing. For some reason people have less problems conceptualizing this with a rifle, than they do a handgun. Something about the length of the barrel. It seems like people zone out on the handgun more readily than the rifle. That's my experience, anyway.

Shao
10-12-15, 07:12
Interestingly enough, that is not dissimilar from what I was taught.

When I was a kid, my dad told me to imagine a laser that would cut anything it touched coming out of the muzzle.

Wait a minute... how old are you, what is your dad's name, and did he spend exactly half of every year on business trips?

But really though... another pet peeve: When you hand your weapon to someone to examine and they start stripping it down without your consent. One of my woman's friend's ex-USAF boyfriends proceeded to shotgun open one of my prized ARs, then pull and disassemble my BCG immediately after handing it to him. I knew that he was proficient... it just seemed... so rude without asking...

Cheers

It's a good one! I haven't heard a complaint from anyone about crossing them since I've been shooting.

Waylander
10-12-15, 07:40
People who post pictures of their handgun with a magazine in it and then show a spare magazine right next to it with the top round in backwards like in that HK ad. :suicide:

Good God yes. I like my HKs a lot but when every other post is with one of those mags it drives me nuts. Then the next post is always, "Hey bro, isn't your round in backwards?" with a follow up explanation of the ad and inside joke. It's not funny after seeing it several hundred times.

Another one of mine...

People who start a dedicated YouTube "channel" to post videos of hour long unboxing ceremonies.

"Good morning, YouTube'ers!"

Like when I go to find an optic review. There are 1,000+ videos beginning with 30+ minutes of highlighting the box/case construction, latches, foam contours, manual, swag, ad nauseum.

Followed by 30 minutes of critique of the optic housing, mounts, batteries, multiple twists of brightness and adjustment dials, button clicks, etc.

With not so much as a view of the reticle, let alone any time behind the optic.

Gun unboxing ceremonies similar to the above followed by opinions on slide/frame finishes and colors, markings, sights critique, mags critique, feature critique and multiple, painstakingly slow trigger pull critiques, etc.

Followed by 60 seconds of rapid slide racking and dry firing x20.

Evel Baldgui
10-12-15, 08:08
Taxes. Period.

VIP3R 237
10-12-15, 09:27
The disassemblers are annoying, they rank up with customers who have to open every box of ammo to see what the round looks like.

Wait a minute... how old are you, what is your dad's name, and did he spend exactly half of every year on business trips?

But really though... another pet peeve: When you hand your weapon to someone to examine and they start stripping it down without your consent. One of my woman's friend's ex-USAF boyfriends proceeded to shotgun open one of my prized ARs, then pull and disassemble my BCG immediately after handing it to him. I knew that he was proficient... it just seemed... so rude without asking...

It's a good one! I haven't heard a complaint from anyone about crossing them since I've been shooting.

sevenhelmet
10-12-15, 10:01

I'm definitely using that. I was just trying to explain muzzle control to my 5 year old daughter yesterday.

Firefly
10-12-15, 11:15
My peeves:

Punisher Skulls. That will look so fooking p'offeshunal for your rifle to be paraded around in court with a Punisher skull. Might as well get a Nazi Totenkopf. This is most certainly directed at cops who pull that shit.

Pointlessly large optics for shooting at 50 yards.

Kryptek. No, it doesn't make you look like an Alien Commando. You look like a walking LSD trip.

Guys who are afraid of their gun getting scratched.
Guys who are afraid of the brass deflector getting scratched
Guys with UTG gear.

Fashion Victims. Guys who try to keep up with the Tackleberrys.
They don't know why they must buy this niche gun from this two month old company or this 4000 dollar glock, but they must.
Because some doofus on YouTube says so.

Guys getting autographs from "celebrity" trainers.
Really? Like Larry Vickers is goingto be on the cover of Tiger Beat?
30 years ago maybe because dude was fit (no homo), but really?

That's like getting an autograph from your high school coach.
Guys who buy Elcans.
Guys who buy Airsoft Elcans.
Guys who slap an upper on a lower and call it a "build". NO MF'ER. Until you've cussed at springs shooting off, headspaced your stuff, and literally prayed for a 3rd arm you have not 'built' a damn thing.

"Tribute" rifles. Yeah...I get it, but to those guys it was just a gun. Doing up a Seal Team 6 clone is kinda lame. Unless you really wanted those specs and it turned out that way.

Example: You want a Mk. 18. You build one because it is compact and handy. It looks like a SEAL gun. Oh well, happy coincidence.

Some guy watched BHD and made a gun just like BHD. Like he freeze framed the DVD. It never gets shot. Kinda lame.

Exemption: Dude who WAS in BHD and wants a gun like that because of personal reasons.

Waylander
10-12-15, 12:02
Guys who have something for sale and you offer them the going price. Then they get pissed because they are expecting to get what they paid for it.

Or guys who claim they are charging a crazy price for something because it has supposedly sold for that price on TOS a short while ago when I can buy it new for a lot less.

Tequila45
10-12-15, 13:22
Agreed.

Tequila45
10-12-15, 13:24
My biggest pet peeve is everything Chicago does to this state. I'm sure Southern Illinois is different but theres barely any ranges by me, and only 1 (that I know of) that isn't an hour away where I can even shoot my AR. When I do go to the outdoor one an hour away I have the option of 100 yards or 50 yards...both of which can only be done slow fire off a bench. Oh and the ranges are rather expensive IMO to even get into here. /End Rant

Agreed

lawusmc0844
10-12-15, 14:01
Guys who have something for sale and you offer them the going price. Then they get pissed because they are expecting to get what they paid for it.

Or guys who claim they are charging a crazy price for something because it has supposedly sold for that price on TOS a short while ago when I can buy it new for a lot less.

On the other side there's cheap miserly guys that will low ball even when the initial price is a good deal already and includes shipping. Sometimes they'll send you a PM lecturing you about how they can get it so much cheaper elsewhere. Well if it's that much cheaper then go buy it from them! Nobody is forcing you to buy anything from the EE, and sellers can set whatever price they want. Negotiations is fine but don't expect a seller to bow down to your insultingly low offers.

brickboy240
10-12-15, 14:53
Hearing, "well...when you buy a Colt...you are mostly just paying for their name" from a gun store counter person while showing some newb a Bushmaster, DPMS or other 600 dollar AR.

(yeah....sure)

Thesandstonefiles
10-12-15, 15:05
Guys who think Colt is the best if the best and swear they are better than KAC, LaRue, DD, et cetera

Uprange41
10-12-15, 15:09
Hearing, "well...when you buy a Colt...you are mostly just paying for their name" from a gun store counter person while showing some newb a Bushmaster, DPMS or other 600 dollar AR.

(yeah....sure)

Go to any other forum out there, you'll read the same shit.

It's mind numbing. It's at a point where, other than here, I have no inclination to actually help anyone, other than someone I know personally, pick an AR. You think your Sport is just as good as a Colt? Good for you... idiot.

Same token on forum shit, seeing a guy ask what rifle to buy, then two weeks later, turn around and praise it as "why pay more for a Colt when you can get a better rifle for less!? Mine's been flawless!" Shut your mouth, you've probably put two mags through it...

Rekkr870
10-12-15, 15:13
Guys who think Colt is the best if the best and swear they are better than KAC, LaRue, DD, et cetera
God yes. This gets me too. The shit colt pulled in the 90's and their inability to create new and innovative products drives me away every time. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Waylander
10-12-15, 15:24
On the other side there's cheap miserly guys that will low ball even when the initial price is a good deal already and includes shipping. Sometimes they'll send you a PM lecturing you about how they can get it so much cheaper elsewhere. Well if it's that much cheaper then go buy it from them! Nobody is forcing you to buy anything from the EE, and sellers can set whatever price they want. Negotiations is fine but don't expect a seller to bow down to your insultingly low offers.

Agreed. Making a polite offer a little lower than my asking price is OK.
A rude message or really low ball offer expecting me to give stuff away goes straight to my trash.

tostado22
10-12-15, 15:35
The guy who will spend $430 on a matched billet upper/lower, then buy a no name "quad rail" and a barrel off of EBAY with a really strange and vague description for $100 because they don't want to "put too much money in the rifle". After all of that they wonder why, no shit, the feed ramps don't line up with the ramps cut in the receiver.

Yes this is a true story that I just went through the other day with a friend of mine who wouldn't take my advice. I gave up

Firefly
10-12-15, 15:41
In all fairness, Colt is the benchmark.
That said, there are companies who do meet or exceed it.
LMT, KAC, HK (if you're in to pistons), and so on.

But you're on crack if you think your DPMS is amongst that company.

That said, people who are vehemently pro AND anti piston.

A well made piston AR is excellent. Not that you actually need one.
But people lose their minds thinking they are either the pinnacle of the AR design evolution or the herald of a new dark age in backwards technology.

To me it's just another option. I'd like an HK 762 despite having a KAC.

Thesandstonefiles
10-12-15, 16:14

Totally agree. :)

Agree with the DPMS comment too. I just accidentally deleted it.

Pi3
10-12-15, 16:38
The guy who will spend $430 on a matched billet upper/lower, then buy a no name "quad rail" and a barrel off of EBAY with a really strange and vague description for $100 because they don't want to "put too much money in the rifle". After all of that they wonder why, no shit, the feed ramps don't line up with the ramps cut in the receiver.

Yes this is a true story that I just went through the other day with a friend of mine who wouldn't take my advice. I gave up

I am still learning when to give up. There is an art to it.

Kain
10-12-15, 18:20
Just thought of another thing that annoys me, and while I am pretty damn sure it has been mentioned, people who can't or won't pronounce a manufacturer's or item or part's name correctly. I swear, if I hear one more mother****er call a Kimber a Kimberly I was going to punch someone in the mouth. And I don't even care about the damn company. What gets me, at least with the most recent dumbass I ran into at a LGS this past weekend(almost but not quite dumbest things overheard in a gunshop material) was that when I corrected them, even pointing to Kimber's billboard on the side of the slides the moron argued with me about it how they were pronouncing correctly. Moron was also pronouncing Trijicon as Tri-i-con, and .45acp as .45 APP. So I just figure he never made it past the 3rd grade that or is in dire need of a set of reading glasses.

556BlackRifle
10-12-15, 18:40

But you're on crack if you think your DPMS is amongst that company.

That said, people who are vehemently pro AND anti piston.

A well made piston AR is excellent. Not that you actually need one.
But people lose their minds thinking they are either the pinnacle of the AR design evolution or the herald of a new dark age in backwards technology.

To me it's just another option. I'd like an HK 762 despite having a KAC.

I have a buddy with a DPMS .308 and that thing is a freakin tack driver. I'm not sure how many rounds he has through it (probably less than 2K) but it seems pretty solid to me.

I bought a DPMS barrel for my 20" varmint build and although I'm only into it by about 200 - 250 rounds so far, I haven't had any issues and it's very accurate.

I know many consider DPMS to be shit but in my limited experience, that has not been the case. I wonder how many haters have actual experience with one....

I don't own one and have no desire to, but it seems like they're not quite as bad as some people say.

kirkland
10-12-15, 19:46
People who post videos on youtube of themselves supposedly showing about firearms or how to draw from a holster or whatever and then they muzzle sweep someone else in the video, themselves, the camera man. Learn some damn muzzle discipline before trying to show others about firearms, idiot!

People who post videos on youtube of an obviously inexperienced woman shooting an overly powerful handgun just to get a laugh when she fails. Yeah, way to get her into guns buddy, she'll likely never want to touch one again after that, why not try training her the right way?

People who post shooting videos on youtube and spend the first 5-10 minutes talking. GET TO THE SHOOTING ALREADY!!!!

sevenhelmet
10-12-15, 19:56
I know many consider DPMS to be shit but in my limited experience, that has not been the case. I wonder how many haters have actual experience with one....

I get where you're coming from there. My go-to pistol for years has been a Springfield XD, which many on here probably find distasteful. However, note that while my experience has been good, I understand why people prefer other firearms. Mine was the very first gun I owned, and it's served me well, so it has it's place in my collection even though I have other, higher quality (and more expensive) firearms now.

I think where people get ridiculed on here is acting as if all DPMS/XD/whatever must be "just as good as" because their copy is good enough for their intended purpose. It's a fallacy generated by the assumption that everyone has the same intended purpose and standard of precision/durability/whatver as they do. That misconception, and the personal aspect of firearm preference are where the hate and discontent get generated.

556BlackRifle
10-12-15, 20:27
I get where you're coming from there. My go-to pistol for years has been a Springfield XD, which many on here probably find distasteful. However, note that while my experience has been good, I understand why people prefer other firearms. Mine was the very first gun I owned, and it's served me well, so it has it's place in my collection even though I have other, higher quality (and more expensive) firearms now.

I think where people get ridiculed on here is acting as if all DPMS/XD/whatever must be "just as good as" because their copy is good enough for their intended purpose. It's a fallacy generated by the assumption that everyone has the same intended purpose and standard of precision/durability/whatver as they do. That misconception, and the personal aspect of firearm preference are where the hate and discontent get generated.

Agreed on all points. The bold has me wondering what the average forumer uses their ARs for. Mine are for HD / SHTF and fun. About the closest I'll come to seeing any action with mine will be my bi-monthly trip to the range or the occasional class. Like most people I want the best I can afford and luckily, I can afford what I want, but I won't insult the poor guy who can't afford a Colt and picks up a lesser rifle because that's all he can afford.

ShooterM4
10-12-15, 20:31
Totally agree.....the "My AR is holier than thou" crowd, particularly the "If it ain't Colt, it's crap" crowd are particularly irritating.

Firefly
10-12-15, 20:52
No. Actually I say emphatically and with authority that DPMS is shite.

I used one of their LPKs. Trigger would activate on safe. Everything was assembled correctly. DPMS notified. 4 weeks later, dude from tech support called. Said "Yeah...it looks like it does activate in safe. Are you SURE you bought from us?". I say "yes sir. From your package". He uhs and ums and says "We'll call you back." I tried calling back twice. Nobody claimed to know anything about it. No more call back. I just let it go. F 'em. Dude didn't seem knowledgeable and I told him either disconnector or hammer is not to spec. Just uhs and ums.

Again. F 'em. If your DPMS whatever works. I'm happy for you.

But Colt, LMT, KAC, and HK have all done me right at minimal or no expense. Same with Steyr Arms despite this being AR centric.

Any time I've seen a bolt release die or a gun go full auto; it has been DPMS. Same with broken triggers.

Your money. But, seriously, they aren't in the same league.

ShooterM4
10-12-15, 20:55
There are a lot of people who have a lot of pet peeves. That's what this thread proves. :)

JulyAZ
10-13-15, 00:35
Nutnfancy I can't stand this dude, or the fact the so many people actually take advice from this dude because they know no better.

TaterTot
10-13-15, 00:47
Nutnfancy I can't stand this dude, or the fact the so many people actually take advice from this dude because they know no better.
"Game changer!" "A Del-Ton is just as good as a KAC" "game changer"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

556BlackRifle
10-13-15, 01:27
Firefly, Thanks for passing along your experience with DPMS. That's a very serious safety issue. I certainly don't blame you for feeling the way you do. I wonder how many other people experienced the same parts problem that you did or if it was just an isolated incident. And your calls for help from their Tech Support department, holy crap, that's totally unacceptable.

My experience with DPMS tech support went a little better. I bought my barrel on impulse from CDNN for cheap. When it arrived I realized that there was no way an NSR barrel nut would fit it. I brought it to a couple of shops to test fit a few barrel nuts from various free float systems. Nothing would fit so I contacted DPMS. They responded quickly with accurate advice. Brownells had the free float tube that DPMS recommended and it just so happened that it was on sale. Installed it a few days later and everything worked perfectly.

556BlackRifle
10-13-15, 01:32
"Game changer!" "A Del-Ton is just as good as a KAC" "game changer"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yeah, he lost all credibility when he made that statement. I think he has a serious chip on his shoulder and let it affect his objectivity.

Firefly
10-13-15, 01:56
Bear in mind, if it wasn't clear, that I sent the FCG in.
This was 2 years ago now.

I don't care anymore but they'll not see another dollar of mine. Tha lt left a bad taste.

Get watch you pay for. Serve no wine before it's time and all that.

That said, I helped a buddy put together a fun little rifle gun with a Spikes lower and an Armalite LPK that came out pretty good.

tog
10-13-15, 08:31
The use of the word, "tactical". I hate that word.

Colt guy
10-13-15, 08:37
22 pages of complaining

MegademiC
10-13-15, 09:04
The use of the word, "tactical". I hate that word.

Ugh, forgot about that. Everything is tactical. I love the cheap "tactical" flashlights and pocket knives, tactical .22 ammo, tactical $50 scopes, etc. It's rediculous. I hate when I hear it. Unfortunately, my cellphone is a Fudd camp phone, not a black tactical one.

22 pages of complaining

Complaining is whining, this thread is explaining righteous anger, haha.

Shao
10-13-15, 09:16
Here's one that always bothers me: when someone asks you to do something for them and then stands over your shoulder directing you the whole time...

It's like my dad always told me "You can tell a man to do something, and you can show a man how to do something, but you don't do both"...

Of course that doesn't apply to everything (like training)... but it's sure as hell annoying when your stepmother asks you to carve the Thanksgiving turkey and hovers over you, pointing out every sinew, telling you where to start your cuts, how to hold the bird...etc...

There's only so much of it I can take before telling them "Why don't you just do it yourself then?!"

Abraham
10-13-15, 11:33
Not just complaining, but "Sport Complaining" and I enjoy it.

Here's another: Guys that shoot thousands of rounds annually who look down their noses at guys (like me) who only shoot hundreds of rounds annually, as if round count confers some sort of gun aristocracy on them...which is also about as noble as being proud of how high your post count is - which is of course laughable.

Pi3
10-13-15, 13:12
The implication that you're not a real man if you use a 9mm pistol or a .223 rifle. I was shooting a match & heard a guy behind me mutter that my 9mm was a "wimp gun". "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46". "The AR is a poodle shooter, a matel toy". This isn't as bad as it used to be.

TinyCrumb
10-13-15, 13:37
All this outrage against the word “platform” really surprises me. I had no idea that annoyed people. But I certainly think of the AR-15 as just that, a “platform”. The modern basic AR to me seems like a very modular base rifle that lets the end user customize it with a million different accessories and options to suit their intended purpose. Want a small, compact weapon for close-quarters? Build it. Want a tack driver for precision work? Build it. I honestly just don’t know what other word I could possibly use to describe it.

If I was sitting down with a relatively new shooter and they were asking advice on what rifle to start with, I would certainly probably advise that they look at modern rifles in terms of a “platform” and what each has to offer in the ways of customization and utility. The “AR platform, the AK platform, the SCAR platform, etc…

I find the distaste for that word really bizarre and I’m not sure I understand why people are irritated with it.

----------

re: blasting away at the range and not hitting anything.

I enjoy “training” with my guns and learning how to shoot them faster, more accurate, etc… but to be honest, my interest in firearms is primarily out of “enjoyment” not self defense or some kind of tactical nonsense. I grew up shooting cans with my grandpa and I enjoy doing the same with my kids. At the end of the day, hurling projectiles out of a barrel at thousands of feet per second is just plain fun. And doing that rapidly can be even more fun. Sometimes mag dumps are just fun … and I fail to see anything wrong with that … unless of course they’re using your ammo to do it.

----------

My pet peeve: People who build ARs and declare “it runs” as the litmus test of whether or not it’s a solid build. I see internet arguments all the time of people using over gassed barrels, etc… and the argument is always “it runs fine”. Yes, if you take a 100% clean and lubed semi-automatic AR-15 and throw any buffer / spring combo in it, it will probably “run” fine for a few shots. But will it continue to function when dirty? When dry? When suppressed? Etc… Companies and militaries spend years & millions on R&D coming up with properly gassed rifles but your garage build is just as good because you shot it once and it fed the next round in… Blegh, okay.

Doc Safari
10-13-15, 14:04
People who get pissed and defend their crappy DPMS or whatever because they spent all their money on it and can't face the reality that they made a poor decision.

"Zombie" anything.

The terms "operator" or "SME".

Mid-length snobs. People who think that because they own a mid-length it makes them an "operator" or "SME".

Arguing with an "SME" because you have so many hours logged on the innernetz that you just gotta know more than someone who runs training classes or was a real special forces guy in the sandbox.

sevenhelmet
10-13-15, 14:18

No joke. He was a USAF tanker dude for Chrissake. And he isn't afraid to talk about it for 30 minutes in his videos in between all his neckbeard philosophizing. Boorrrrrriinnnnggggg!

Abraham
10-13-15, 14:26
TinyCrumb,

We came to this thread to kvetch, not to berate the kvetchers...

The word "platfrom" (I hate it so much I can't spell it right anymore) sounds dopey when used in conjunction with rifles.

The only time you can use that most detested of words is when you're wearing your smoking jacket, silk pajamas, and a red Fez while drinking your chamomile tea.

Doc Safari
10-13-15, 14:47
No. Actually I say emphatically and with authority that DPMS is shite.

I used one of their LPKs. Trigger would activate on safe. Everything was assembled correctly. DPMS notified. 4 weeks later, dude from tech support called. Said "Yeah...it looks like it does activate in safe. Are you SURE you bought from us?". I say "yes sir. From your package". He uhs and ums and says "We'll call you back." I tried calling back twice. Nobody claimed to know anything about it. No more call back. I just let it go. F 'em. Dude didn't seem knowledgeable and I told him either disconnector or hammer is not to spec. Just uhs and ums.

Again. F 'em. If your DPMS whatever works. I'm happy for you.

But Colt, LMT, KAC, and HK have all done me right at minimal or no expense. Same with Steyr Arms despite this being AR centric.

Any time I've seen a bolt release die or a gun go full auto; it has been DPMS. Same with broken triggers.

Your money. But, seriously, they aren't in the same league.

Quoting this mainly as a reminder. Once upon a time a certain segment of the gun-owning public thought DPMS was among the best. I have known more people with experiences similar to yours than i can count easily. I can just add that a lot of people got DPMS rifles that just didn't work worth a crap most of the time.

The running joke at the end of the '90's was the DPMS stands for "Doesn't Pass Mil-Spec".

Every time a new "crap-tastic" brand comes along and people immediately flock to it untried as being the "best" I'm reminded of people's experiences with DPMS. Del-Ton pops to mind as being the latest brand to enjoy a short but enthusiastic reputation as "the best" before people started cracking bolts within 3,000 rounds.

Firefly
10-13-15, 15:23
The implication that you're not a real man if you use a 9mm pistol or a .223 rifle. I was shooting a match & heard a guy behind me mutter that my 9mm was a "wimp gun". "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46". "The AR is a poodle shooter, a matel toy". This isn't as bad as it used to be.

That's a 90s early 2000s hold over. After 15 years of war, nobody is really dogging on 5.56 lethality. If anything it has been proven and advanced. Mk. 262 rounds.....NOBODY argues with that.

Same as 9mm. To me pistol calibers are like Android and iOS. They both are different and at one point one may have had an edge but they both do the same thing pretty much nowadays.

I like .45 because it's fun to shoot and it is proven to work. I can say the same for 9mm. .40 too. .357 sig, likewise.

But...that's like different diameter buckeyes dropping from overpasses. When what you want is a big cinderblock or a brick (i.e. a rifle round)

Waylander
10-13-15, 15:37
That's a 90s early 2000s hold over. After 15 years of war, nobody is really dogging on 5.56 lethality. If anything it has been proven and advanced. Mk. 262 rounds.....NOBODY argues with that.

Same as 9mm. To me pistol calibers are like Android and iOS. They both are different and at one point one may have had an edge but they both do the same thing pretty much nowadays.

I like .45 because it's fun to shoot and it is proven to work. I can say the same for 9mm. .40 too. .357 sig, likewise.

But...that's like different diameter buckeyes dropping from overpasses. When what you want is a big cinderblock or a brick (i.e. a rifle round)

Did you miss the massive .308 vs 5.56 thread here two or three years ago? :D

ETA:
I agree. It is a stupid argument.

tog
10-13-15, 16:41

ETA:

I thought the 7.62x51 versus 5.56 argument was done by the 90's. By-the-way, I used to be on the 7.62 side of that argument, but not anymore.

Firefly
10-13-15, 16:50

ETA:

Yes, I did.
Thank God.

Caliber discussion and religious discussion have a LOT in common.
Everybody get all mad but you still gunna die one day

DirectTo
10-13-15, 17:06
Which gun/caliber/accessory is best/just as good as arguments.

People who think Colt can do no wrong.

Tapco + SKS.

#1 for me: Accessorizing the shit out of your gun (especially with cheap crap) without learning to shoot it properly first.

Shiz
10-13-15, 17:11
Gun store employees. (especially the ones with toothpicks)

me- do you carry AK74s?
toothpick- you mean 47!!!
me- AK 74 chambered in 5.45x39.
TP- AK are 7.62 buddy, you are confused. (shakes his head like I am retarded, and shares a laugh with the old man pointing the scoped .44 mag at the deer head on the wall. )
me- I must be. Thanks dude.

eodinert
10-14-15, 01:26
Condescending fanboy douchebags; Permanently attached muzzle devices; Muzzle Brakes. Not necessarily in that order.

Leuthas
10-14-15, 01:35
Those who cling religiously to "the way things have always been done." The resounding mentality that changing your ways, even if for the better, isn't necessary because you're too old, too tired, or too busy.

And illogical people who can't get over the idea that 'what they read on the internet' is not gospel.

BoringGuy45
10-16-15, 12:43
BIGGEST pet peeve: "I need a gun with a thumb safety because I have kids in the house." I try to explain that this mentality is very dangerous, and they say, "Oh, I know, but it's just one more thing (for protection) if they ever got a hold of it." Seriously, LOCK UP YOUR GUNS if you don't want your kids to get to them!!

That leads me to another thing: Thumb safeties being considered the end all be all guarantee against NDs. I go over and over how DA/SA pistols, revolvers and most striker fired pistols don't need a thumb safety due to the other safety measures, and the fact that if you keep your booger hook off the bang switch, you'll be fine. They just shake their heads and say, "I don't know, man. I just don't feel right with a gun that doesn't have a safety. I want to carry it with one in the chamber." Why do I feel the need to correct people when they say these things? Because if they're thinking that mechanical safeties are going to allow them to use the gun negligently, and they end up hurting or killing themselves or someone else, I could end up getting sued for selling them a gun when I clearly saw that they were a dumbass. Win or lose, I'd rather avoid the headache.

Tzook
10-16-15, 15:05
It drives me absolutely nuts when people talk about how awesome their bushmaster with a NC star "holographic sight" is.

Waylander
10-16-15, 15:18
People that say a product should only cost a certain amount because "The stuff it's made of didn't cost much."

Colt guy
10-16-15, 15:22
Those who cling religiously to "the way things have always been done." The resounding mentality that changing your ways, even if for the better, isn't necessary because you're too old, too tired, or too busy.

And illogical people who can't get over the idea that 'what they read on the internet' is not gospel.

This is my favorite

kirkland
10-16-15, 15:57
BIGGEST pet peeve: "I need a gun with a thumb safety because I have kids in the house." I try to explain that this mentality is very dangerous, and they say, "Oh, I know, but it's just one more thing (for protection) if they ever got a hold of it." Seriously, LOCK UP YOUR GUNS if you don't want your kids to get to them!!

That leads me to another thing: Thumb safeties being considered the end all be all guarantee against NDs. I go over and over how DA/SA pistols, revolvers and most striker fired pistols don't need a thumb safety due to the other safety measures, and the fact that if you keep your booger hook off the bang switch, you'll be fine. They just shake their heads and say, "I don't know, man. I just don't feel right with a gun that doesn't have a safety. I want to carry it with one in the chamber." Why do I feel the need to correct people when they say these things? Because if they're thinking that mechanical safeties are going to allow them to use the gun negligently, and they end up hurting or killing themselves or someone else, I could end up getting sued for selling them a gun when I clearly saw that they were a dumbass. Win or lose, I'd rather avoid the headache.

I've gotten crap from people for my old s&w revolvers not having safeties, I was so taken aback, I didn't even know how to respond. It's a double action revolver people! they just don't come with safeties, yes it's fine to shoot.

Firefly
10-16-15, 15:59
Fat kids in 5.11 with spikes ARs.

No reason I just do.

Rekkr870
10-16-15, 16:40
Fat kids in 5.11 with spikes ARs.

No reason I just do.
Fat kids in 5.11, period.

ritepath
10-16-15, 17:16

Imagine how they fell when some tacticool warrior princess shows up with a noisy black rifle that you can't deer hunt with, while wearing 511 pants and a 3% tee shirt and a plastic pistol. The one time a year they show up and the inconsiderate pecker-poo rushes them out of the lane.

Just wait until next Tuesday when I show up with my sons new front stuffer...talk about slow.

Doc Safari
10-16-15, 17:20
Speaking of Fudds hogging the range: there is one guy that I run into at the range all the time. He's never there unless all the benches are full, and he literally will fire ONE shot, remove his ear muffs and glasses, take about five minutes looking at that one shot through his spotting scope, then he'll write something down, take another gander through his spotting scope, put his glasses and ear muffs back on, and fire another shot...

I was anxious to sight in a new AR one time and decided to wait him out. I think the guy literally took over an hour to fire five shots before I finally gave up and left. If cold hard stares of "hurry up" could kill that man would be six feet under.

Herkemer
10-16-15, 17:35
The idiot trying to defend his hipoint-lorcin-mini 22 revolver purchase with "Well, if its that shitty, why don't you stand in front of it?"
Well dumbass, my F250 is a shitty carry weapon also, you wanna stand in front of it genius?

Fit and Finish.
Yep, that means a lot on the ole delton. But hey, if that's all its got, run with it baby.

The luddite retard who recommends a Single Shot .22 or a revolver as a first weapon because "That AK-AR-Glock, ain't summthin you beginners wanna start out on. Yous gotta learn the fundermentals first."
Hey asshole, why don't you tell that to the Somali 8 year old with the AK, Or the 13 year old GDOG in Chicago with the Glock. Here let me rephrase that for you...

"I think you're a goddamn retard, probably dangerous too, but definitely to damn stupid to figure something out that children and random Army boots figure out easily. So we're gonna start you out with a pointy stick. After you have the pointy stick "Platform" down, we will fire harden it. After a few years of pointy stick, club, and then metaley kinda of stuff,we'll work up to a Brown Bess, a real Military weapon."

Valintina
10-16-15, 21:40
ATF Agents doing their own interpretations of what you can or cannot sell regarding lowers.

First time to a rather new gun store, had a 308 Lower in mind and was about to buy the damn thing. Had a stock on it from the factory so it couldn't be built into a pistol. Ask to purchase it, and was going through the process while the counter guy said "Can't do it, you are 19, you have to be 21 to purchase this." Went through the entire damn staff debating this in a very calm manner, and they all said the same thing, "Our ATF agent interpreted the law as 'a lower, even if it has the stock, requires the minimum age of 21 to purchase.'"

The Owner of the place however, helped me regardless and in the end, he really did make my day. Also, screw you ATF agent for being a special snowflake, same goes to you ATF.

MistWolf
10-16-15, 22:26
ATF Agents doing their own interpretations of what you can or cannot sell regarding lowers.

First time to a rather new gun store, had a 308 Lower in mind and was about to buy the damn thing. Had a stock on it from the factory so it couldn't be built into a pistol. Ask to purchase it, and was going through the process while the counter guy said "Can't do it, you are 19, you have to be 21 to purchase this." Went through the entire damn staff debating this in a very calm manner, and they all said the same thing, "Our ATF agent interpreted the law as 'a lower, even if it has the stock, requires the minimum age of 21 to purchase.'"

The Owner of the place however, helped me regardless and in the end, he really did make my day. Also, screw you ATF agent for being a special snowflake, same goes to you ATF.

Actually, a lower with a rifle stock can legally be built into a pistol. The lower does not become a rifle or pistol until a rifle or pistol upper is installed on it. You can legally make an AR pistol out of an AR lower as long as you remove the rifle stock prior to assembling with a pistol upper

26 Inf
10-16-15, 22:44
Actually, a lower with a rifle stock can legally be built into a pistol. The lower does not become a rifle or pistol until a rifle or pistol upper is installed on it. You can legally make an AR pistol out of an AR lower as long as you remove the rifle stock prior to assembling with a pistol upper

MistWolf: just to make sure someone doesn't misunderstand, that is only so long as the lower has never had a rifle upper on it - once a rifle always a rifle.

Now that would be a good pet peeve - what is the magic that contaminates your lower if a rifle upper isattached to it first? I can understand the regulatory illegality of putting a pistol upper on a lower with a stock on it, you've just constructed an SBR, which is illegal, although it shouldn't be. But, really, what difference does it make whether you putting that pistol upper on a lower that has a carbine buffer tube on it with the stock removed (legal so long as it was constructed as a pistol first) or the same receiver which was constructed as a rifle first? Stupid. And how does the BATFE know what upper you put on first? I picked up three stripped lowers today, I'm making them all pistols first, just to be a good German, they will all be assembled as rifles, but that 'magic' step somehow cleanses the receivers making it legal for me to put my pistol upper on any of them as long as I remove the stock before doing so.

And we, as a Nation, sent men to the moon, yet we put up with this stupidity? Duh.

el_chingoton13
10-16-15, 22:50

Same thing happened to me. Bought a built lower a month before turning 21 and the gun store owner said he couldn't transfer it to me until then.

Valintina
10-16-15, 23:52
MistWolf: just to make sure someone doesn't misunderstand, that is only so long as the lower has never had a rifle upper on it - once a rifle always a rifle.

Now that would be a good pet peeve - what is the magic that contaminates your lower if a rifle upper isattached to it first? I can understand the regulatory illegality of putting a pistol upper on a lower with a stock on it, you've just constructed an SBR, which is illegal, although it shouldn't be. But, really, what difference does it make whether you putting that pistol upper on a lower that has a carbine buffer tube on it with the stock removed (legal so long as it was constructed as a pistol first) or the same receiver which was constructed as a rifle first? Stupid. And how does the BATFE know what upper you put on first? I picked up three stripped lowers today, I'm making them all pistols first, just to be a good German, they will all be assembled as rifles, but that 'magic' step somehow cleanses the receivers making it legal for me to put my pistol upper on any of them as long as I remove the stock before doing so.

And we, as a Nation, sent men to the moon, yet we put up with this stupidity? Duh.

Which is why I hope the NFA and the 21 age requirement gets abolished. And the ATF get's shut down. DEA can take the AT, FBI takes the F.

Valintina
10-16-15, 23:53

Great, now I feel like an idiot. :(

26 Inf
10-17-15, 00:55
Great, now I feel like an idiot. :(

You shouldn't. The FFL dealer was correct.

Federal law prohibits the transfer of ANY firearm to those under age twenty one; with the exception that 18 year-olds can purchase rifles and shotguns.

As I understand most receivers are sent/shipped as 'other' and if the FFL entered 'other' on the paperwork you would be rejected because 'other' isn't a rifle or a shotgun.

I actually learned this today in talking with the guys at the LGS as I picked up three stripped lowers I'd had shipped to them.