PDA

View Full Version : OLYARMS 9mm Carbine / Glock Mag model

Paul45
07-31-08, 12:01
Does anyone have any 1st hand / personal experience with the OLYARMS 9mm crbine that uses Glock Mags?
Likes, Dislikes, Issues, Problems, No problems, accuracy, durability, ETC. I have received a lot of opinions but no one has had direct experience .
Can anyone help?

mdawson
08-01-08, 20:13
Does anyone have any 1st hand / personal experience with the OLYARMS 9mm crbine that uses Glock Mags?
Likes, Dislikes, Issues, Problems, No problems, accuracy, durability, ETC. I have received a lot of opinions but no one has had direct experience .
Can anyone help?

i will let you know I have one on the way.

Paul45
08-01-08, 21:09
Here is my experience so far.
I shoot left handed - there is some blowback on my face on ejection - unburnt powder.
over 500 rounds - good trigger - like the mags - glock 32 rounders and 17 rounders
accuracy is good out to 50 yards - Red Dot sight - have not shot past 50 yd yet
It gets dirty at around 150 rounds and starts to fail to eject. I clean the bolt carrier and upper area - then it works find for another 150 rounds. A lot of unburnt powder in the action - blowback design!
I will try other ammo (WW white box only for now) to see if it is cleaner.
No problems other than dirt issue and extraction. It is fun and fast. Great trigger for a std AR.
only about 500 rds so far - I'll up-date in the future.

mdawson
08-01-08, 21:34
Here is my experience so far.
I shoot left handed - there is some blowback on my face on ejection - unburnt powder.
over 500 rounds - good trigger - like the mags - glock 32 rounders and 17 rounders
accuracy is good out to 50 yards - Red Dot sight - have not shot past 50 yd yet
It gets dirty at around 150 rounds and starts to fail to eject. I clean the bolt carrier and upper area - then it works find for another 150 rounds. A lot of unburnt powder in the action - blowback design!
I will try other ammo (WW white box only for now) to see if it is cleaner.
No problems other than dirt issue and extraction. It is fun and fast. Great trigger for a std AR.
only about 500 rds so far - I'll up-date in the future.
I debated a while on whether to get the Oly or RRA. I hope I made the right decision. Cleaning the oly on 150 rounds sound like a pain.

Paul45
08-02-08, 07:42
Not really! Just break it open, remove bolt carrier group, spray with gun scrubber or rem oil, wipe down and relube. spry upper in boly carrier area, wipe down and relube. about 2 minutes atr the range.
i am hoping a break in period will loosen tolorences and I can find a cleaner burning round.

Paul45
08-02-08, 22:32
Update--- put another 200 rounds thru it. NO ISSUES! It did get dirt again but no failures to eject. Total round count is just over 800. It appears that it may be broken it but I will try another 200 or so before Iclean it just to see what happens.
Still using WW White Box.

mdawson
08-03-08, 04:45
I didn't realize how cheap 9mm was to reload. Doy you think that a +p load will set off tannerite?

Paul45
08-03-08, 09:18
Ihave no experience with Tannerite. Too dangerous for me. Try the ammo forum. I'm just looking for other 9mm Oly users to get some 1st hand info.

Hawgleg44
08-07-08, 13:56
Just to see what would happen, I went over 1000 rounds of my cast bullet reloads in my Oly 9mm AR (STEN mag version) without cleaning, and I had no malfunctions at all. I did spray a little RemOil on the bolt carrier a few times throughout the 1000 rounds, but no cleaning.

I only made it through a full 32 round mag three times in my Colt 9mm AR without a malfunction. Actually, both of my 9mm Colts were like that, and the four 9mm Colts owned or previously owned by my friends were just about as reliable, too.

It sounds like it was just your Oly breaking in. You shouldn't run into misfeeds now.

Paul45
08-07-08, 14:05
Just to see what would happen, I went over 1000 rounds of my cast bullet reloads in my Oly 9mm AR (STEN mag version) without cleaning, and I had no malfunctions at all. I did spray a little RemOil on the bolt carrier a few times throughout the 1000 rounds, but no cleaning.

I only made it through a full 32 round mag three times in my Colt 9mm AR without a malfunction. Actually, both of my 9mm Colts were like that, and the four 9mm Colts owned or previously owned by my friends were just about as reliable, too.

It sounds like it was just your Oly breaking in. You shouldn't run into misfeeds now.

Thanks for the feedback - I have not seen or communicated with another actual owner. So far it is acceptable. I keep up-dating this as I get more info.

mdawson
08-07-08, 21:23
Guess who's the owner of a new Oly arms 9mm? Thats right I am and I am going to shoot the hell out of it tomorrow. Range report later.
Matt

scottMO
08-08-08, 02:30
I had one for a little while. It was very accurate and reliable w/every mag from a 10rd g-26 mag to a 33rd mag. The mag release was flush to the receiver, compared to a normal style AR, but I could live w/it.

I ended up selling it mainly for visual reasons as I just hated the junky look of the BHO "bar" on the left side of the receiver.

http://www.webarms.com/Gun%20Suppliers/Olympic%20Arms/k9-gl-full.gif

I ended up building a dedicated SBR in 9mm..

scottMO

Paul45
08-08-08, 06:11
Let us know what happens! Congratulations on the new toy

Sam
08-10-08, 13:38
My buddy bought one last year. He let me shoot it a little, seems like a nice gun with a flat top and plastic handguard with integral accessory rail. In about 200 - 300 rounds that I've been exposed to, it never had a single malfunction. I helped him install and zero in an Aimpoint ML3 yesterday. It shot dead on at 50 yds. with less than 2" groups with very good trigger.

Paul45
08-10-08, 18:56
Range Up-date

Put another 300 rounds thru it today. No failures of any type. I used G26, G19, G17 along with the Glock 33 rounders. All functioned. It now has 600 rounds since the last cleaning. It is DIRTY! I should let it go and shoot to failure but my clean gene is about to take over. I've got about 7 dirty weapons so I'll start cleaning tonight.
So far so good. Not bad for a fun gun!!! Total round count about 1100+. I still am not used to the mag release or the bolt release. They function OK but look and feel "diiferent". I added a CAA cheek piece to the stock and a ERGO grip. I am going to added a ambi safety - I shoot left handed - It should make life easier. Accuracy at 50 yds is acceptable. It groups as big as the red dot - I think it's a 4 minute dot. I'm getting about 2 to 2 1/2inches at 50 yds. I think that's OK for the size of the dot. I got smaller groups last week with the iron sights but I did not save the targets to measure. Only thing I don't like, the rear sight is not centered. I had to move it about half way left to get it centered. It appears that the front sight may be a little off. But with the dot, I don't really care as long as it hits center.

MisterWilson
08-10-08, 19:11
I debated a while on whether to get the Oly or RRA. I hope I made the right decision. Cleaning the oly on 150 rounds sound like a pain.

Does the RRA take Glock magazines?

Paul45
08-10-08, 19:23
NO - if it did, I would have bought it.

Paul45
08-19-08, 06:47
The 9mm Olyarms carbine self distructed this weekend. The 1st two 10 round mags worked OK. The next 33 rounder started with problems and ended in disappointment. After a couple of rounds, it started to fail to eject. Then I had a failure to fire. Then I had another failure to fire but I could not pull back the charging handle to clear the weapon. I had to remove the upper to clear it. When I opened it, the disconnector was just laying there. The pin had broken in half. I also noticed that the hammer pin was backing out on one side. It too was broken. I have called Olyarms and left a message to call back. I am waiting.
Yes - I know -- You told me so!!!!

rob_s
08-19-08, 08:50
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I think Oly was on to something with this design, but unfortunately their follow-through sucks.

markm
08-19-08, 09:04
The 9mm Olyarms carbine self distructed this weekend. The 1st two 10 round mags worked OK. The next 33 rounder started with problems and ended in disappointment. After a couple of rounds, it started to fail to eject. Then I had a failure to fire. Then I had another failure to fire but I could not pull back the charging handle to clear the weapon. I had to remove the upper to clear it. When I opened it, the disconnector was just laying there. The pin had broken in half. I also noticed that the hammer pin was backing out on one side. It too was broken. I have called Olyarms and left a message to call back. I am waiting.
Yes - I know -- You told me so!!!!

Well on the upside... I can add this event to my OLY failure file. It's been a while since I added something to it since most shooters here avoid Oly.

Paul45
08-19-08, 09:15
Well on the upside... I can add this event to my OLY failure file. It's been a while since I added something to it since most shooters here avoid Oly.

That's cold! I think I married your twin sister - she doesn't cut me any slack either!

markm
08-19-08, 09:21
Gotta find the silver lining in this deal somehow! :p

Paul45
08-21-08, 10:44
I called OLYARMS, got Andy on the 2nd try - no one called back on the 1st call. They sounds surprised that the pin broke, not too surprised at the ejection issue and OK we can fix the rear sight issue easily.
I am not feeling real good about the coming experience. Major failures in the 1st 1000 rounds and no real surprise. Sounds like they heard some of this before. I'll keep you up-dated.

Paulinski
08-21-08, 10:48
I called OLYARMS, got Andy on the 2nd try - no one called back on the 1st call. They sounds surprised that the pin broke, not too surprised at the ejection issue and OK we can fix the rear sight issue easily.
I am not feeling real good about the coming experience. Major failures in the 1st 1000 rounds and no real surprise. Sounds like they heard some of this before. I'll keep you up-dated.

What do you expect? Its Olympic Arms after all.

Paul45
08-21-08, 12:15
What do you expect? Its Olympic Arms after all.

Compassion! Understanding, A sympathic voice! Someone who gives a crap about their corporate reputation!

markm
08-21-08, 12:41
Compassion! Understanding, A sympathic voice! Someone who gives a crap about their corporate reputation!

Since their reputation is already doo doo.... why should they care??

Hopefully they're do something for you more than the usual denial of any responsibility that I see most of the time.

Paul45
08-21-08, 13:16
Since their reputation is already doo doo.... why should they care??

Hopefully they're do something for you more than the usual denial of any responsibility that I see most of the time.

I am shipping it back this Sat. when I return home. It is only a project / play gun so I am not too upset. I know it was a low end product when I bought it. Worst case is that I put in a new trigger group, disconnector and pins, then tweek the ejector spring and reset the barrel to fix the sites and I'll have a functional toy.
I am hoping that they belly up and return a functional weapon.

RallySoob
08-21-08, 14:57
and this is why OlyArms has always been the worst in my book... They told my Buddy to eat dirt when he asked for a return or fix on his out of spec lower reciever. There was a gap between the upper and lower of over an 1/8", almost a full 1/4"! The gun still functioned properly so they wouldn't do a damn thing...

Paul45
08-21-08, 16:08
and this is why OlyArms has always been the worst in my book... They told my Buddy to eat dirt when he asked for a return or fix on his out of spec lower reciever. There was a gap between the upper and lower of over an 1/8", almost a full 1/4"! The gun still functioned properly so they wouldn't do a damn thing...

I've heard good things and bad things about them and their products. I'll give you an additional reference point when they respond. I have to give them a chance to make it right before I dis them.

Paul45
08-25-08, 07:58
This was the 1st time I had to ship a rifle back to the MFG. UPS charged $122 from VA to WA. For that price I could have bought a custom trigger group and new pins and installed it myself.
Live and learn. The warranty return cost memore that an up-grade!!! Now I an upset!

RallySoob
08-25-08, 14:46

ditto, another Oly fail. whats new...

Paul45
08-26-08, 06:45
Just wondering. Has any other brand AR broken a disconnector pin? I know what I was buying. It was an inexpensive project gun for fun. The goal here is to see if it will work and how they will handle the problem. I could have joined in and bashed their service / product without ever owning one and just followed what everyone else says. But I will have 1st hand knowledge and hopefully an working weapon to have some fun with. There is nothing wrong with the gun that I could not have fixed in my garage. Everyone has a story but I have not heard from an actual owner that has the problems or issues that people are telling me about. If this ends up to be a peice of crap - I'll tell you - this is a report on a 9mm Oly.

Hawgleg44
08-31-08, 09:14
This was the 1st time I had to ship a rifle back to the MFG. UPS charged $122 from VA to WA. For that price I could have bought a custom trigger group and new pins and installed it myself.
Live and learn. The warranty return cost memore that an up-grade!!! Now I an upset!

What did you do, ship it overnight?!?!

You could have sent it through the Post Office for about $14 insured! Even FedEx Ground or standard UPS would have cost you around $20!

Paul45
09-04-08, 12:32
HERE IS THE REST OF THE STORY! Plus I would like you input

I tried to ship it FEDEX but the local agent went out of business. The US Post Office wanted it in a box - all I had was the case so I went to the local UPS Store. The agent there said "we don't like guns - we are not allowed to ship it". I said "Yes you can - here are the regulations" She accepted it and said "it's air overnight or nothing" OK I paid the $$$'s and left. Monday morning about 10am on my way to the range, I get a call from the UPS Store. It's the manager/owner - "Come pick up your gun, we will not ship it - the driver will not accept it - you have to drive 35 milesa to Roanoke distribution center to ship it." When I got there, I was told it was HER STORE and she does not want to ship guns and the driver does not have to pick it up - she gave me the UPS number and told me to call them and not to bring back any guns. UPS said she is an agent and can do what she wants in her store.
SO --- I ordered new pins from Brownell, put them in last night and burned off 250 rounds. The trigger / disconnecter worked great but at 150 rounds or so, the failure to eject came back. I relubed and it worked for another 50 rounds or so and started to fail to eject. I'll clean it tonight and see if I can find anything wrong plus I'll call Olyarms about the issue. I am sure that I can fix it without shipping it back.

If anyone has any ideas about the failures to eject, I would like to hear them!

Littlelebowski
09-04-08, 13:15
Let us know the name of that store so that we can stay away from it.

k_cheerangie
09-04-08, 14:37
I have one of these guns and I have to say it is a very practical gun .

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/k_cheerangie/IMG_0664.jpg

I shoot with Rob_s during his carbine matches, my little brother shoots the Olympic and I shoot an AK. He does very well will it can't say we ever had a malfunction with the weapon he shoots Winchester White box 115gr. FMJ.
Don't think we tried anything else through it thus far but we should try some Speer Gold Dot or something else.

Now from a practical stand point I have to say the idea behind this weapon is excellent as we have a G17, G19 and G26 trying to get a 34 also, but the idea that you can have one type of ammo, one type of magazine. Think about it

For $850 I did not expect gold but the gun has held up to expectations so far.

Starting with the lower the safety engages very positively it could be a little bit more firm. The trigger is alright about a 5 pound single stage a little too much over travel.

The gun comes with a six position collapsible stock with no evidence what so ever of staking at the RE castle nut.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/k_cheerangie/IMG_0656.jpg

The bolt release is a very unique design, look at the pics, really makes no difference in reloading you can still slap the side of the gun to drop the bolt. The only difference comes when you want to lock the bolt back you have to push up on the forward portion of that bar.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/k_cheerangie/IMG_0655.jpg

The magazine release is something to get used to though, the release is in the same place but is a little stiff and in my opinion could have come checkered, I will probably cut some grip tape and put it over it to give it a little more tactile feeling.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/k_cheerangie/IMG_0660.jpg

Now the upper, the charging handle has to be one of the worst feeling manipulations on any AR and I work in a gun store I have handled everything form les baers to POFs to colts to BMs to DPMsS and this one is bad. probably because of the design of the bolt.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/k_cheerangie/IMG_0653.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/k_cheerangie/IMG_0654.jpg

The handguards have no shielding on the inside just plastic, have not shot enough rounds for it to get uncomfortable to hold. Most we shot in a sitting was about 300 rounds.

The barrel is SS and comes with very, very concise break-in instructions. Reasonable accuracy even with the shitty ammo, at about 50 yards baseball size groups with the Eotech and from a standing position. And one time at Rob's matches my dad was shooting this time and was able to hit a dinner plate sized piece of steel called "The Lollipoper" from excess of 120 yards about 7 out of 10 times, that impressed me. Has a A1 Birdcage flash hider reamed out for the 9mm.

A few things I think were a little unacceptable though coming out of the factory, contemplating sending it back to Olympic but with a little time I could probably fix them.

The magwell scratches the back of the Magazines probably going back to crappy quality control.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/k_cheerangie/IMG_0662.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/k_cheerangie/IMG_0663.jpg

And the front site post I have never seen this before it is off centered I have no idea how that happened.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/k_cheerangie/IMG_0659.jpg

Well that is all hopefully this helped someone out. My contribution to the cause. I would still buy another one.

Hawgleg44
09-04-08, 15:03
I hate to break it to you, but your UPS Store is right. By UPS regs, they are NOT allowed to ship fireams. Only at UPS centers, not places like Mailboxes, Etc, or anything like that.

For shipping a long gun, the Post Office is the way to go. You need to be a licensed dealer or manufacturer in order to ship a handgun there, but only the recipient has to be a licensed dealer or manufacturer in order to accept the shipment.

I know, it's a screwed up mess, but I've had great luck with the Post Office for shipping handguns, and my dealer friends have, too. I just boxed up 57 handguns in 3 USPS Flat Rate boxes (the new large size) with 2 mags each to ship to a dealer. $12.95 each shipping, plus the added insurance. You can't beat that price for 57 handguns! The FFL holder simply has to fill out a USPS Form 1508, leave a copy of their FFL at the Post Office, and you save a LOT of money in shipping, especially when FedEx and UPS charge overnight! USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days) is the way to go for handguns, and long guns, too.

Paul45
09-05-08, 22:00
The UPS stores attitude bothered me more than anything. They appeared happy about giving me back the gun! They don't deserve to be citizens of VA!
OK - I cleaned it good and then I stoned and polished every rough edge / tool mark on the BCG and anything that came in contact with it. I played with the ejector spring angle and then lubed it. I put eight 33 round mags thru it without a failure!!!! It functioned GREAT. There was a problem. The bolt started to not stay back after the last shot. The screw that holds the transfer bar for the slide release was loose. I tightened it but the bushing was not thick enough and the bar would not move. So I removed the bar and filed it to thin it out just a little. I added a little blue locktite and it now works great. I put eight 3 round mags thru it and the bolt stayed back after each. It has now functioned for about 300 rounds - i ran out of day light. If the weather is OK tomorrow, I'll put more rounds thru it to see how it works when dirty. ( It's pretty dirty right now). One other small issue, the castle nut on the stock loosen up - not staked. Fixed it. The only other thing is that the rear sight is far left to center a shot but I am not worried right now - I am using a cheap red dot.

For about $15 and a little enjoyable work, it is now functioning. Let's see for how long. Too bad they can not get these simple things right at the factory.

Just remembered, I checked the mags - no scratches.

One other thing. With the bolt forward and the hammer down on an empty chamber, it is very hard to work the charging handle to load a round ( sometimes it works OK). You can muscle it but I have to find out what it going on. It works but not the way I expact an AR to function.

Any ideas on this issue??????

Paul45
09-07-08, 11:28
Put another 8 mags thru it dirty - still no failures. 500+ rounds. I hope it's fitted. I think the hard pull on the charging handle is due to the bolt hold open design. It's only hard with a mag in. I'll try to play with it this week. So it's working - Time will tell if it will continue.

Paul45
09-14-08, 19:28
Figured out what made the charge handle pull hard. There was a slight edge where the 2 peices of the 9mm bolt meet. It was catching on the case mouth ridge when pulling back to charge the chamber. A little filing and polishing and it is working very smooth.

The bolt hold back issue returned. The blue locktite needs to be replaced by red. The screw vibrated loose after a few hundred rounds.

I put another 350+ thru it today. The 1st 200 went well, then I got the failure to eject issue back.. After close examination, it appears the unburnt powder and carbon builds up aound and in the extracxtor. A few drops of breakfree and working the extractor fixed it.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions for the dirty extractor issue. I am shooting value pack white box. I have not tried other ammo in this gun. I do not notice much difference in my handguns on the amount of crud from different ammo but it could be an issue.
I would appreciate any infomation or ideas on how to cure this issue.

Hawgleg44
09-15-08, 13:56
I'm surprised you are having these issues with extraction. I shoot my own cast bullets from wheelweight alloy almost exclusively, using any powder I can get inexpensively and can find reloading data for. This usually results in extremely dirty loads, and an unbelieveably huge amount of crud built up everywhere, including around the extractor. I've gone over 1000 rounds of this filthy crap without cleaning with no malfunctions at all.

I really don't know what to tell you. With reliability like you are having, I'd expect to see "Colt" on the side of it!

Paul45
09-15-08, 15:25
You have got to love this form!!!!! Nothing is sacred!!

DO I HEAR ANY REBUTTALS????????

Hawgleg44
09-15-08, 16:15
You have got to love this form!!!!! Nothing is sacred!!

DO I HEAR ANY REBUTTALS????????

I'm not bashing Colt AR's in general, just their 9mm's. I've owned two, and my friends have owned another 3. None of them have been reliable at all, with factory Colt, modified Uzi or Promags. My Oly/STEN version has been 100% reliable for many thousands of rounds, mostly my own cast bullet reloads.

In the group of club members I go to the MG Shoots with, one of them has 9mm and .45acp Oly uppers for his M16. Those are also 100% reliable, but the Colt upper he had made him very proficient at malfunction drills!

CarlosDJackal
09-16-08, 13:06
Paul,

I'm a little late coming to this dance. But did you have that $2.75 "buffer assist" upgrade in your Oly upper? I understand that this prevents bolt bounce that has been known to be huge contributing factor to ejector failure.

CarlosDJackal
09-16-08, 13:09

Damn!! You might have been better off letting your local Gun Shop do it via their UPS or Fedex account. :eek:

Paul45
09-16-08, 14:07
Have not heard of this. What is it and where do it go. I am just learning how to tune / gun plumber an AR.
Any input would be GREATLY appreciated
Thanks

Paul45
09-19-08, 21:26
First I would like to thank everyone who tried to help and offered possibles fixes.
After much reading, experimenting and talking, I think I understand the issue and the fix. The Olyarms blowback design does not require an extractor to extract a fired case. It is only used to extract UNFIRED cases. Therfore, the extractor can not be the problem. Sometime is impeding the case/ bolt just enough so the spent case is not hitting the ejector spring but still allowing the bolt to go back far enough that a new round is loaded ahead of the spent case. That's the issue. I checked the chamber, the upper and the bolt for roughness/ burrs. None found. This basiclly leaves the amount of pressure from the ammo. I consistently used WW white box. I have about 13000 rounds still in inventory. It appears that I have at least 7 different lots. After talking to some friends, I learned (I think correctly) that WW outsources their lower end stuff to low bidders. I sampled different lots - measured and examined the taper crimp, pulled the bullets, examined the powder and weighted the powder.
There appears to be different powders used and different weights. The crimp differs ( measured diamiter and pull weight).

These variations appear to change the pressure / ft/sec of the different lots. After examining my notes, I noted that the issues fell in blocks of around 50 and around 100. I could run up to 350, then isuues for about a box or 2. Then no issues - etc. I also noted there was more blowback of unburnt powder felt on my face when there were issues.
I cleaned the weapon and proceeded to fire 650 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ with no failures to eject and much less felt blowback on my face. Plus the gun was cleaner. I am a left handed shooter and the port is directly in front of my face.
The WW white box ammo "appears" to be the real problem!
It appears that the carbine is more sensitive than my Glocks as I have not experienced this issue with well over 30000 rounds of WW over the last few years. I had noticed there was more unburnt powder and carbon at times but it never caused any function issues. (Glocks can function shooting crap!!!)

So my UN_QUALIFIED opinion is that the Olyarms takes effort and work to get functioning but the design appear OK. I don't know the life span but I will find out. It will be a fun game gun for pistol cal carbine matches ( better that the Thompson I am currently using) I like the glock mags - it's easy to work on but there are not many people that know anything about OLY pistol carbines or if they do, they were not sharing.
You get what you pay for and sometimes you get more. I think I got more this time. I got a gun, it now works, it's fun, I now know more than I did before, I have new skills and I know there are not too many knowledge Olyarms individuals and very few with 1st hand experience.

Again, I thank everyone who tried to help and educate me. It was a GREAT learning experience. I hope my ramblings have added value to current and future blowback carbine owners.

Hawgleg44
09-20-08, 15:24
I guess in your particular carbine, the ammo must be the problem. Every gun is different. I just must be lucky since my Oly will run with anything I load the mags with. I've shot a thousand or so WWB 9mm's, a few hundred misc JHP's, some Remington, but many thousand cast bullet reloads, using whatever powder I can buy the cheapest, usually very OOOOOOOLD powder from estates (much of it in the old, metal 1/2lb containers!). Talk about dirty!

Anyway, I'm glad you are happy with your Oly. I know I am with mine. And at the end of October, it's going to be on the M16 lower, using my friend's Oly M16 9mm bolt, too. That's going to be fun, and cheaper than the .223. I'm bringing plenty of 9mm, a few thousand .223's and 4000 7.62x39 to run through that upper in the M16, too. I only do this in any amount twice per year, so I may as well make it worth it!

Paul45
10-26-08, 19:17
Here is a quick up-date!
The gun works very well with most brands of 9mm FMJ - Over 700 rounds without a failure to eject.
However - when shooting WW white box, it continues to have intermittent failures after the 1st 50 or 60 rounds. It gets "GRIT" on the bolt.
WW white box works great in my Glocks but there appears to be an issue with the OLY. So I shoot other brands in the Oly.

Hawgleg44
10-26-08, 23:25
As an update to my previous post, the Oly 9mm upper was installed in my friend's M16 lower, using his full auto bolt. Using my Oly converted STEN mags, it saw 1500 trouble-free rounds of Winchester Ranger SXT 147gr JHP's. Yes, that's right, SXT's. The shop we usually buy from was out of WWB, so they gave us 2000 rounds of 147gr SXT's at the same price to use instead.

The German MP40 didn't like them at all, but the Oly 9mm upper and the Uzi ate them up without a hitch.

Hallboss
11-17-08, 00:38
Paul45,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to ask about a problem and take steps to learn about it and fix it. In the process I have learned a lot by reading others posts. Also, it would have been easy for you to just post that Oly was crap and leave it at that, but you went the extra mile and educated at least me. Now I have changed my mind and am now looking at Oly.

Thanks again

nicholst55
12-14-08, 00:39
I realize that I'm getting into this a little late, but... I have a 10.5" Oly 9mm upper on a PWA lower; I bought the upper used. It uses unmodified Sten mags with a mag block. One thing that I really like about this design is that it doesn't require any other caliber-specific parts like hammers or buffers - the lower is essentially in box-stock .223 configuration. I haven't shot it a great deal, and it's 8,000 miles away at the moment so it won't be fired again for a while.

To date, I have about 500 rounds through it, and have only had problems with one Sten mag. It has functioned flawlessly otherwise with my handloads consisting of a Rainier 115 grain FMJHP and a healthy does of Winchester Action Pistol powder, which has been discontinued. Ammo was loaded with standard RCBS dies, bullet seated and taper crimped in separate steps. I haven't tried any cast bullets yet, but that is on the agenda.

I have had maybe 5 FTFs, and all were traced to that single magazine. The only other problems that I've heard of with these guns is that the ejector is subject to breakage. I plan to shoot the bejeezus out of this gun once I return to the States, and I'll be anxious to see how reliable it is.

Paul45
12-16-08, 09:12
Put another 300+ rounds thru it yesterday - no issues. It appears that the polishing really helped. I am going to re-try the WW white box stuff that appeared to be causing the problems. I now have a base line - over 500 rounds without an issue - no WW.
The only thing I don't like is this blow back design gets DIRTY! Real Dirty! It's not difficult to clean, just a pain to have to soak the BCG and spray out the upper and lower. It has unburnt powder, carbon, brass and other miscellanious junk. Dirtiest gun I have to shoot. Plus being a lefty, I get blow back in my face. I hope Stag develops a left hand pistol caliber upper.