PDA

View Full Version : Texas Has Always Been Gun Country

Cincinnatus
10-10-15, 15:21
On the subject of gun culture in Texas and the History of Texas, I found an interesting observation from the 1860s and 1870s by a U.S. Cavalryman, a northerner. He did not approve of everyday gun-carrying by citizens, but his remarks illustrate how ingrained to-the-bone, gun culture was in Texas. It is in our very blood. This is well worth the read and bears out also that an armed society is indeed a polite society.

"I first, at this time, particularly noticed the habit of carrying ('packing' they called it) firearms, new to me then, but soon becoming a familiar sight, and it impressed me as a most useless and dangerous habit, and I have never seen any reason to change my views. Every man and boy, old and young, rich or poor, at home or abroad, in church, at court, the wedding or the funeral, from the 'cradle to the grave,' the double-barreled shot gun, or the old-fashioned, brass-mounted dragoon pistol [possibly a Colt Third Model Dragoon?], was inevitably carried by them, and it goes without saying that they all knew how to use them, and did so often without very much provocation. And yet I cannot now [1889] look back on the practice as an unmixed evil either, for bar-room brawling, fist fights and minor difficulties were pretty much unknown in those days. The treatment experienced by a bully or a bravado was 'short, sharp and decisive;' if he insulted a woman, 'took in' a town, or stole a horse, he was shot off-hand by some one, who thereby rendered society a service, at much less expense and without the uncertainty and delay that often attends the law's slow course. Of course, in the days I write of, the times were more or less out of joint; the civil law was almost a dead letter; the country was filled with the disbanded armies of the collapsed Confederacy, and many of the men returning to find homes destroyed and family ties broken became reckless, if not lawless. But closer acquaintance with this class of men taught me that often an honest, a brave and a noble heart was beating beneath the rough exterior, and that life and property were safer among them than they sometimes are among the 'slick' fellows who wear a 'boiled' shirt and live in the settlement."

SilverBullet432
10-10-15, 16:28
Texas- land of Brisket, Guns, and OIL!

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 16:43
And Fajitas. Sweet Lord, The Fajitas.

Texas- land of Brisket, Guns, and OIL!

docsherm
10-10-15, 17:06
And Shinner Bock......;)

God bless Texas.

Kain
10-10-15, 17:12
And Shinner Bock......;)

God bless Texas.

Yes, cannot forget Shiner Bock. My Bock beer of choice unless Yuengling Bock is in season.

Which reminds me I am due for a case of beer, a Shiner variety pack may be in order. I do like their Blonde as well pretty everything they do with the exception of the ruby.

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 17:15
Indeed.

The LSS is the only place I'd consider leaving Georgia for.

And Shinner Bock......;)

God bless Texas.

Firefly
10-10-15, 17:18
I have so many Texas janks......so, so many.

But, I agree with the spirit of your post

SilverBullet432
10-10-15, 17:28
I have so many Texas janks......so, so many.

But, I agree with the spirit of your post

Go for it. Most Texas stereotypes are true.

Firefly
10-10-15, 17:36
Well...how did you know he was from Texas? His boots? His hat? His firm handshake and the way he looked you in the eye?

No. The fact that he wouldn't shut up about it.

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 18:09
Zing!

I actually spent the first 3 years of my life in San Antonio. Needless to say, I remember jack and shit about it.

Well...how did you know he was from Texas? His boots? His hat? His firm handshake and the way he looked you in the eye?

sinister
10-10-15, 19:32
"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he's not, there's no reason to embarrass him."

Averageman
10-10-15, 19:34
Zing!

I actually spent the first 3 years of my life in San Antonio. Needless to say, I remember jack and shit about it.

And all this time I assumed you still lived here.
If you ever get back this way I will buy you a Shiner, or three.

docsherm
10-10-15, 19:43
"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he's not, there's no reason to embarrass him."

That is the polite thing to do..... :)

Outlander Systems
10-10-15, 19:52
Sometimes I wish I did...

And all this time I assumed you still lived here.
If you ever get back this way I will buy you a Shiner, or three.

SilverBullet432
10-10-15, 20:24

Lol. I wear boots and a hat, firm handshake and square in the eye too :lol: im tellin' ya! When someone asks me where I'm from i say Texas! Proudly too.

26 Inf
10-10-15, 20:27
Go for it. Most Texas stereotypes are true.

Not Firefly, but my pet peeve is folks that move to Texas, and when you see them three or four months later they've got the whole corn pone drawl thing going. Really?

Most humorous Texas memory, docsherm, your from the DFW area, so maybe you can relate, it sleeted a little one time when we were down visiting, holy shit, the city shut down, you woulda thought it was the great blizzard of '44.

Those are just kinda humorous, I've really found nothing to dislike about the state or the people I've meet there.

However, Oklahoma.......

The three big lies - Trucks paid for, won the buckle at a rodeo, just helping the sheep back over the fence..

.46caliber
10-10-15, 20:38
Not Firefly, but my pet peeve is folks that move to Texas, and when you see them three or four months later they've got the whole corn pone drawl thing going. Really?

Most humorous Texas memory, docsherm, your from the DFW area, so maybe you can relate, it sleeted a little one time when we were down visiting, holy shit, the city shut down, you woulda thought it was the great blizzard of '44.

Those are just kinda humorous, I've really found nothing to dislike about the state or the people I've meet there.

This made me laugh. My brother moved to Houston after college to marry. He's been there for 3 or 4 years. The only change in speech is the addition of "ya'll" in his common vocabulary. My mother visits him for a week then uses "ya'll" with a drawl for a month.

I have found two things I don't like about Houston. Humidity and car drivers.

Firefly
10-10-15, 21:04
Lol 26 inf, I remember the great snowpocalypse of 2014 here in GA.
Seriously, one inch or two of snow and everyone just couldn't even.
They had the NG handing out MREs and blankets to people on the Interstate.

Remember the movie The Day After where people were buying up canned food and water in preparation for WW3?

Just. Like. That.

People abandoned cars, motels were packed. It was barely sledding weather It was literally Anarchy but a chilling calm Anarchy. The State Government was in Exile. Dudes were packing rucks with ARs, mags, food, and Gold coins into their patrol cars.

And....had it been NY state or even Pennsyltucky, there would still be school, garbage collection, and maybe an overcoat until the sun came out.

All that said, one of the more pleasant encounters I ever had in Texas was a half black girl with long hair, a twangy drawl, and she was fit. She was perky like a cheerleader and fine as hell.

She'd get eaten alive hereabouts but I was like "Dayum".

This was near Austin and a lot of people were stuck up, homeless, or queer. Seriously, one dude no joke came on to me. All I could do was recall Lou Gossett Jrs speech to Richard Gere and thought. "Man...that wasn't a joke"

Years ago if someone was from Texas, I'd ask why they shot JR, but....people today wouldn't get it

MountainRaven
10-10-15, 21:50
I know some guys who just moved back from Texas.

They couldn't find anywhere to shoot without spending stupid amounts of money on a range membership.

Moose-Knuckle
10-11-15, 01:35
On the subject of gun culture in Texas and the History of Texas, I found an interesting observation from the 1860s and 1870s by a U.S. Cavalryman, a northerner. He did not approve of everyday gun-carrying by citizens, but his remarks illustrate how ingrained to-the-bone, gun culture was in Texas. It is in our very blood. This is well worth the read and bears out also that an armed society is indeed a polite society.

"I first, at this time, particularly noticed the habit of carrying ('packing' they called it) firearms, new to me then, but soon becoming a familiar sight, and it impressed me as a most useless and dangerous habit, and I have never seen any reason to change my views. Every man and boy, old and young, rich or poor, at home or abroad, in church, at court, the wedding or the funeral, from the 'cradle to the grave,' the double-barreled shot gun, or the old-fashioned, brass-mounted dragoon pistol [possibly a Colt Third Model Dragoon?], was inevitably carried by them, and it goes without saying that they all knew how to use them, and did so often without very much provocation. And yet I cannot now [1889] look back on the practice as an unmixed evil either, for bar-room brawling, fist fights and minor difficulties were pretty much unknown in those days. The treatment experienced by a bully or a bravado was 'short, sharp and decisive;' if he insulted a woman, 'took in' a town, or stole a horse, he was shot off-hand by some one, who thereby rendered society a service, at much less expense and without the uncertainty and delay that often attends the law's slow course. Of course, in the days I write of, the times were more or less out of joint; the civil law was almost a dead letter; the country was filled with the disbanded armies of the collapsed Confederacy, and many of the men returning to find homes destroyed and family ties broken became reckless, if not lawless. But closer acquaintance with this class of men taught me that often an honest, a brave and a noble heart was beating beneath the rough exterior, and that life and property were safer among them than they sometimes are among the 'slick' fellows who wear a 'boiled' shirt and live in the settlement."

Yeah when you lived with the constant threat of Apache and or Comanche war party raids, banditos, outlaws, commancheros, and a whole list of other miscreants you never went unarmed.

Hell, back in the day the Sheriff of the county that I live in now was hunted across half the state and lynched by Quantrill's Raiders.

Moose-Knuckle
10-11-15, 01:38
I know some guys who just moved back from Texas.

They couldn't find anywhere to shoot without spending stupid amounts of money on a range membership.

Open spaces are drying up except for out West. There is something like 1K people moving here every week because the rest of the nation job/housing market is in the toilet. Cost of living is probably best all round, our roads are packed same with our schools, and jails.

Some of you guys are fortunate to have open places within in driving distances where you can shoot.

Eurodriver
10-11-15, 05:58
Texas? GA was the first state with modern CCW, And the first Cowboys were from Florida.

Weak.

MistWolf
10-11-15, 09:17
I once was exiled to Texas. Never again

docsherm
10-11-15, 09:22

And we thank you for that. ;)

MistWolf
10-11-15, 09:40
George Washington was really born in Texas. George had to move to Virginia when he chopped his mother's favorite pecan (PEE-can to you damnyakees) tree. His father asked little George "Son, did y'all chop down yo momma's best peecan tree?"

Little George said "Father, I cannot tell a lie. I did chop down my mother's favorite pecan tree."

His father bit down hard on his cigar in anger. "I see, to my shame, I did not raise my son to be a true Texas gentleman. We're just gonna have to pack y'all off to military school in Virginny and don't you come home till you learn to tell a good and proper lie!"

Texans have been telling us lies about how great Texas is for so long, they themselves believe them

docsherm, you're welcome

jpmuscle
10-11-15, 10:37
Lol 26 inf, I remember the great snowpocalypse of 2014 here in GA.
Seriously, one inch or two of snow and everyone just couldn't even.
They had the NG handing out MREs and blankets to people on the Interstate.

Remember the movie The Day After where people were buying up canned food and water in preparation for WW3?

Just. Like. That.

People abandoned cars, motels were packed. It was barely sledding weather It was literally Anarchy but a chilling calm Anarchy. The State Government was in Exile. Dudes were packing rucks with ARs, mags, food, and Gold coins into their patrol cars.

And....had it been NY state or even Pennsyltucky, there would still be school, garbage collection, and maybe an overcoat until the sun came out.

All that said, one of the more pleasant encounters I ever had in Texas was a half black girl with long hair, a twangy drawl, and she was fit. She was perky like a cheerleader and fine as hell.

She'd get eaten alive hereabouts but I was like "Dayum".

This was near Austin and a lot of people were stuck up, homeless, or queer. Seriously, one dude no joke came on to me. All I could do was recall Lou Gossett Jrs speech to Richard Gere and thought. "Man...that wasn't a joke"

Years ago if someone was from Texas, I'd ask why they shot JR, but....people today wouldn't get it
Truth.

Try leaving near Buffalo then telling me how apocalyptic 2" of snow is... Wimps.

Also, pics on the attractive female or I'm throwing the BS flag lol

titsonritz
10-11-15, 11:32
Well mostly...but there are a few hard-ons:

Cocks not glocks: Dildos to replace guns at UT-Austin campus carry protest

AUSTIN - Hundreds of students at the University of Texas at Austin will protest a new law that will allow more guns on campus not with signs or sit-ins, but by "strapping gigantic swinging dildos to our backpacks."

Their mantra? #CocksNotGlocks :haha:

http://www.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/campus-carry-ut-austin-dildo-dildos-texas-6563276.php

Bulletdog
10-11-15, 11:42
GA was the first state with modern CCW...

Really? What year was that? I remember all the hoopla when Florida did it in the mid 80's. All the anti's and their "sky-is-falling" non-sense…

When did GA start issuing?

SilverBullet432
10-11-15, 12:38

AUSTIN - Hundreds of students at the University of Texas at Austin will protest a new law that will allow more guns on campus not with signs or sit-ins, but by "strapping gigantic swinging dildos to our backpacks."

http://www.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/campus-carry-ut-austin-dildo-dildos-texas-6563276.php

Sadly, Austin is libtard central in TX. I mean LIBTARD CENTRAL.

Eurodriver
10-11-15, 12:47
Really? What year was that? I remember all the hoopla when Florida did it in the mid 80's. All the anti's and their "sky-is-falling" non-sense…

When did GA start issuing?
You're right. I apologize. FL was 87, GA (and many other states like PA and even the liberal WA) were in 89.

They still beat "gun country" Texas by six years.

Can peopleopen carry in gun country Texas yet? Or has that law some time before taking effect?

pinzgauer
10-11-15, 13:23
You're right. I apologize. FL was 87, GA (and many other states like PA and even the liberal WA) were in 89.

Maybe the "shall issue" aspect changed then, but GA CWP process and rights has been pretty much unchanged sice the late 70s.

Reasonable cost, state wide availability, reasonable (mostly) turnaround time.

The only thing I see that changed much is the shall issue, and must renew aspects

titsonritz
10-11-15, 13:51
You want to talk about a state "ahead" of its time, look at Vermont.

docsherm
10-11-15, 14:55
PSA- Gun Culture ≠ CCW.... Now continue and try to make other states feel better about themselves. ;)

Euro......can you carry your on a college campus? YES you can, just not in FL. :jester:

Firefly
10-11-15, 15:02
No joke. I understand Texas' rich history but it really didn't seem super gun friendly even 10 years ago. I've been to Gun stores in Northern VA that were a bit less snitty than the one I stopped in at when I was in Texas. Because that's always on the itinerary, see a gun shop even if you aren't going to buy something.

What kills me is I was seeing people up near Fredburg and they had a Colt King Cobra for a good price. I'm sure I could've had it transferred but didn't feel like screwing with it.

I actually had a decent time in Texas but it didn't seem like I thought.
And I never saw the Alamo. That was a big regret. On my bucket list.

California wine country, however, I could live there. I'm not a drinker but it just looked amazing. It's such a shame their laws suck because it was great.

As for the half black chick, no pictures but was one of the highlights nonetheless

Abraham
10-11-15, 15:31
Firefly,

Did you spend time in the country or city?

Cities like Austin (the San Francisco of Texas) and San Antonio are liberal meccas.

Get out in the country where the natives live and you'll meet real Texans, not some pole smoking ex-Commieformia immigrant or some New York city douche who are both convinced how much better they do it where they come from...

Abraham
10-11-15, 15:33
P.S. I lived in San Antonio and never visited the Alamo.

I stay away from touristy spots.

docsherm
10-11-15, 15:36
Firefly,

Did you spend time in the country or city?

Cities like Austin (the San Francisco of Texas) and San Antonio are liberal meccas.

Get out in the country where the natives live and you'll meet real Texans, not some pole smoking ex-Commieformia immigrant or some New York city douche who are both convinced how much better they do it where they come from...

And they can't understand it when I ask them, " If your Commie state does it so much better then why are you here?" :blink:

26 Inf
10-11-15, 15:40

You know, I don't agree with their viewpoint, but I got to admire their panache.

Firefly
10-11-15, 15:46
I was in the city. If I had more time I'd have loved to get to the ol' ranchero side.
I'm not actually dissing Texas. It was pretty much like any other place.

I did see some live music, and they had some good Mexican food (and I'm not really in to Mexican food).

Maybe I'm institutionalized but it was like Florida, nice to visit but too much for me to live there.

As bad as Georgia people dog out people from Alabama(and rightfully so), busting on Oklahoma was pretty much the E-ticket ride to making new friends.

MountainRaven
10-11-15, 16:18
Open spaces are drying up except for out West. There is something like 1K people moving here every week because the rest of the nation job/housing market is in the toilet. Cost of living is probably best all round, our roads are packed same with our schools, and jails.

Some of you guys are fortunate to have open places within in driving distances where you can shoot.

And the formal ranges here are both actively supported by the state and relatively inexpensive to buy memberships to.

Truth.

Try leaving near Buffalo then telling me how apocalyptic 2" of snow is... Wimps.

Also, pics on the attractive female or I'm throwing the BS flag lol

Haha! I have family in Buffalo. There was snow up to their roof line and the snow plows didn't come for a week.

No joke. I understand Texas' rich history but it really didn't seem super gun friendly even 10 years ago. I've been to Gun stores in Northern VA that were a bit less snitty than the one I stopped in at when I was in Texas. Because that's always on the itinerary, see a gun shop even if you aren't going to buy something.

What kills me is I was seeing people up near Fredburg and they had a Colt King Cobra for a good price. I'm sure I could've had it transferred but didn't feel like screwing with it.

California wine country, however, I could live there. I'm not a drinker but it just looked amazing. It's such a shame their laws suck because it was great.

As for the half black chick, no pictures but was one of the highlights nonetheless

California is an awesome state.

Except for their government.

Firefly
10-11-15, 16:27
And the formal ranges here are both actively supported by the state and relatively inexpensive to buy memberships to.

Haha! I have family in Buffalo. There was snow up to their roof line and the snow plows didn't come for a week.

Indeed. If anyone asked me what my idea of Valhalla would be, I'd say 1982 Ridgemont High California with 72 Phoebe Cateses who know what they are doing.

Outlander Systems
10-11-15, 17:55
When I think of Valhalla I think of bottomless pits of never-ending pulled pork, and Valkyries that look like Charlie Sweets.

Indeed. If anyone asked me what my idea of Valhalla would be, I'd say 1982 Ridgemont High California with 72 Phoebe Cateses who know what they are doing.

Rekkr870
10-11-15, 18:16
When I think of Valhalla I think of bottomless pits of never-ending pulled pork, and Valkyries that look like Charlie Sweets.
You forgot the beer.

7.62NATO
10-11-15, 18:33
This is unfortunate...

Retired Navy SEAL turned University of Texas Chancellor William H. McRaven may be an expert on the use of firearms in combat, but he has repeatedly demonstrated that Texas’s concealed carry laws fall outside that area of expertise. According to the UT-Texas student newspaper The Daily Texan, Admiral McRaven—speaking at a March 31 conference—criticized pending legislation to legalize the licensed concealed carry of handguns on Texas college campuses, stating . . .

“I think what will happen over time [is] we will begin to have a little bit of a barricade mentality … because, frankly, we’ll have to make sure that students carrying those weapons — well you’re going to have to check your gun at certain areas where you’re not allowed to carry those.”

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/robert-farago/students-for-campus-carry-ut-chancellor-mcraven-ignorant-on-concealed-carry/

Outlander Systems
10-11-15, 18:35
Thanks for righting my ship.

I got to Charlie Sweets and zoned out.

For real. Beer. Quaffing it by the hornful.

You forgot the beer.

Firefly
10-11-15, 19:17
You forgot the beer.

Nay. We quaff Mead from the fountain.

And Aye, there shall be pulled pork sammiches and some of that Korean BBQ that I like.

Firefly
10-11-15, 19:27
It is unfortunate that Mr. McRaven is biased so.

I'm sure he has personal weapons and I'm sure he carries whether it is "permitted" or not.

People focus on the "creepy virgin loner" college kid but....what about our military people taking advantage of their GI Bill? Or police officers too old and tired of the BLM BS getting more school so they can get a real job? Or older retirees getting free school for being old (I knew and made buddies as a punk kid with an 80 year old who was in a class with me)? Or, heck, just a regular guy who is a responsible citizen. Not just "civilian".

Positions change people.

ETA According to a NYT article, he could've been ST6 but got kicked out for being a buzzkill. All due respect to his service, but yeah I can kinda see it

titsonritz
10-11-15, 20:21

Two totally different parts of California, they are roughly 500 miles apart. But that is the cool thing about California, just about everything is there all wrapped up in the best climate ever.

Correct on both counts.

Ryno12
10-11-15, 20:41

...and their wild fires.
...and their water shortages.
...and their fault lines.
...and their proximity to Mexico.
...and their liberal population.
...and their emission laws.
...and their.. etc, etc, etc...

;)

MountainRaven
10-11-15, 20:58
...and their wild fires.

;)

No place is perfect.

docsherm
10-11-15, 20:58
...and their wild fires.

;)

And the PEOPLE......... ;)

Firefly
10-11-15, 21:26
You forgot skate culture. In the 80s as a kid I was REALLY into skating. I read Thrasher as much as SoF. It was nothing but pictures of dudes rimming pools taken on polaroid probably before paralyzing themselves. I had a banana board and eventually got a full board I spraypainted neon green.

I always thought about moving to California and being a skate fiend but sadly was a whole country away. Now I'm too old and not wiry enough anymore to skate.

SilverBullet432
10-11-15, 22:32
...and their wild fires.

;)

I'm 4 hours from the Mexican border...

AKDoug
10-11-15, 23:05
So, when is Texas going to join the other 6 free states? It's a shame that even Maine has constitutional carry before Texas.

SteyrAUG
10-12-15, 01:19
You forgot skate culture. In the 80s as a kid I was REALLY into skating. I read Thrasher as much as SoF. It was nothing but pictures of dudes rimming pools taken on polaroid probably before paralyzing themselves. I had a banana board and eventually got a full board I spraypainted neon green.

I always thought about moving to California and being a skate fiend but sadly was a whole country away. Now I'm too old and not wiry enough anymore to skate.

G&S board, California Slalom trucks and OJ wheels. Between that and the BMX craze, it's amazing that I survived the decade. I wasn't exceptionally talented but I was willing to try. To this day I'm still amazed anytime I see anyone run a board down a hand rail.

Turnkey11
10-12-15, 05:15

Im ready to give it a 3rd go around for the money.

Shao
10-12-15, 06:17
Texans have been telling us lies about how great Texas is for so long, they themselves believe them

I'm from Texas. There are things I like about living here and probably more that I don't. I hate the heat and humidity. Barely anyone speaks English in my neighborhood anymore. The police in my city must think we're under martial law. The mosquitoes... Damn... the mosquitoes... Our winters last two months if we're lucky. Primary Arms, DSG, and Riflegear all charge sales tax. While fajitas are everywhere, finding properly prepared fajitas can be tricky...

But... and this is a big but... it's not California!

Outlander Systems
10-12-15, 06:21
Thrasher. SoF. Nintendo Power.

SOWT
10-12-15, 07:33

We had some crazy gun laws 10 years back.
In the car only if you were coming to/from the range.
Initial CHL rules (printing=go to jail)
The metropolitan areas (DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston) are liberal mecca's.
All these a-hole computer geeks moving in and bringing their Kommiefornia mindset with them.
We have to many RINO (House Speaker for example)
Knife rules suck (Bowie knives were , and may still be, outlawed)

I love my adopted state, and don't plan on moving; we have made a lot of progress gun/knife wise, but they still need to loosen up some of the laws.

Abraham
10-12-15, 09:24
In Texas, switchblades are legal.

brickboy240
10-12-15, 10:27
Please stay out of our state....there are too many cars with NY and CA plates on our highways as it is.

LOL

It is hot here and look how long it took us to get open carry.

Stay away...it is terrible here!

LOL

Abraham
10-12-15, 10:58
Firefly,

You posted: "I'm not actually dissing Texas. It was pretty much like any other place."

Sure, pretty much all cities are the same.

Not too long ago, I spent time in Auckland, New Zealand and I couldn't tell it was any different from almost any other big city in the world, but once out in the country it was like being on another planet.

Few cities throughout the world have much distinction from each other.

Those that extoll the virtues of big cities are secretly afraid of being out in the countryside and exposed to it's citizens values. So, urban dwellers band together thinking they're safe. Rather like other herd animals afraid of predators.

Country folk like wide open spaces with a lots of room. They're not filled with fear for nature or each other. They're generous of spirit, very hospitable, and willing to help strangers with a "happy to meetcha" manner. This relaxed attitude you won't find with city fearful folk.

If there's a next time, get out in the country and meet the real people.

The vast majority of Texans and Southern/Western folks have a social default position of immediate friendliness.

Shao
10-12-15, 11:08

As of September of last year! Pretty f'in cool, but it won't make a difference to me. I like to play with switchblades and I'm glad that we now have the legal right to carry them (for the first time since like 1957), but a waved knife is faster to deploy.

Firefly
10-12-15, 11:32
Abe,

I wanted to see more than the city but time did not allow.
The countryside of anywhere beats its city.

Artos
10-12-15, 14:44
I'm 4 hours from the Mexican border...

You should come on down to the Rio Grande Valley sometime...it's almost like being in the United States.

Be in Mex in about 15-20 mins.

Abraham
10-12-15, 14:55
I love that part of the world.

I used to spend a lot of time in Port Mansfield, wade fishing for Redfish, Specks and Flounder using a Shimano Curado bait casting reel loaded with 12lb test and chunking artificial lures.

titsonritz
10-12-15, 15:07

They have been legal in Oregon for years, they just became legal in Oklahoma. A few states are starting to come around on the auto-knife issue. Lots of info on BladeForums.com (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum.php)

brickboy240
10-12-15, 15:10
...as if we felt "less free" without legal switchblades and open carry. LOL

Stay out....it is hot here....still 90 degrees in mid October!

soulezoo
10-12-15, 16:55

In Northern California as well.... :-(

MountainRaven
10-12-15, 18:22

Doesn't seem to be helping with keeping the riffraff out though, does it?

7.62NATO
10-12-15, 19:23
UT Austin students will carry dildos to protest OC law in TX. Liberal filth hole. What a rot! May they burn in hell.

'People want me dead for a dildo:' UT alumna behind 'Cocks not Glocks' protest

Less than 36 hours after the UT alumna created the event's Facebook page, more than 1,700 people have pledged to attend the protest against a recently passed Texas law that will allow more guns on college campuses. The event has also brought Jin some unwanted attention, including threats that prompted her to contact the Austin Police Department.

http://www.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/campus-carry-ut-austin-dildo-Q-A-texas-6564913.php

Firefly
10-12-15, 20:37
Well, if they feel more comfortable with fake male genitalia hanging on their hips, then what does that say about them?

People like that would've died before their teens a millenia ago.

Abraham
10-13-15, 09:49
However, if they get in trouble, they have no qualms about calling for armed police.

What hypocrites!

Moose-Knuckle
10-13-15, 13:31
I guess "Gun Free Zone" signs gave him a false sense of security. What an over educated idiot.

UT economics professor quits over campus carry concerns

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2015/10/08/economics-professor-emeritus-quits-over-concerns-about-campus-carry/73613206/

10-13-15, 14:22
Good post.. Kept me entertained. There's something about Texas that is hard to explain. Sure people talk about it all the time but you have to live and breathe the state to really understand. I was fortunate enough to be born here. I wouldn't move anywhere else. I plan on dying here as well.
Five things I really care about in no particular order.. Brisket, Fishing, Beer, Rodeo, and Guns.

bowietx
10-13-15, 14:34
In the NE right now on vacation, it is beautiful country with lots of potential, but after seeing a man dressed like a lamp shade (some sort of old woman's garb) I can't wait to get back to Texas. Additionally, for those having a hard time finding a place to shoot in TX, it really depends upon where you are at. There is a whole lot of Texas and out here in the western part of the state finding places to shoot is not a problem, just buy some land and get it done. A man without a gun in our part of the state is a tourist.

SeriousStudent
10-13-15, 22:11
Yes, Texas is a horrid place, I cannot think of a reason why anyone would move here. I'd encourage everyone to stay where they are, and avoid the abysmal conditions we must suffer though.

And most places in Texas do not get snow, we get ice. Please have fun driving on two inches of solid ice.

I beg you to steer clear of this foul and dreadful place.

docsherm
10-13-15, 22:16
Yes, Texas is a horrid place, I cannot think of a reason why anyone would move here. I'd encourage everyone to stay where they are, and avoid the abysmal conditions we must suffer though.

And most places in Texas do not get snow, we get ice. Please have fun driving on two inches of solid ice.

I beg you to steer clear of this foul and dreadful place.

That's it...... I am out of here...... :jester:

Firefly
10-13-15, 22:44
I want to see the redneck part of Texas and see how different it is from the redneck part of Georgia.

brickboy240
10-14-15, 10:34
Student is right...this place is terrible...and hot...very hot. Not "Michigan in July" hot...but like surface of the sun hot.

Stay away Californians and Nor-easterners!

Icky...icky!

LOL