PDA

View Full Version : Chest rigs

Slater
10-10-15, 23:17
Chest rigs seem almost universal these days around the world as the preferred way to carry mags. For anyone that might have some historical knowledge: Who was the first military to use purpose-designed chest rigs? I'm tempted to say that it was the Chinese or Vietnamese, as the Vietnam War was the first I can recall seeing pictures of the familiar AK/SKS chest rigs.

Firefly
10-10-15, 23:20
Technically, wasn't it the British in WWII?

Koshinn
10-10-15, 23:26
I think it was the Chinese in the mid 50s.

SteyrAUG
10-10-15, 23:40
Technically, wasn't it the British in WWII?

The brits were mostly running No. 4 Mk. 1's and bandoleers of stripper clips don't really count. Those go back about another 100 years.

So it comes down to who carried magazines on the chest. In Vietnam, we were still using 20 rounders and for the most part carrying bandoleers of stripper clips. Some guys shoved 20 round magazines in the bandoleers but it wasn't very common.

The Type 3 AK-47 went into production in 1953/1954 and the Chinese version commonly encountered in Vietnam was the Type 56. So it would seem likely that the Vietnamese were probably the first ones to use chest carriers for spare magazines. This sort of makes sense because AK mags are much bulkier than AR mags and can't be comfortably carried on a belt rig.

Even .308 rifles like the M-14, G3 and FAL all used belt pouches for spare magazines. We were probably the second country to do it when we introduced 30 round magazines and groups like SOG, LRRPs, etc. probably used borrowed NVA / VC gear.

Firefly
10-10-15, 23:45
Not to split hairs, but those Bren mag holders looked pretty chesty. Like a large LBE.

ETA Sten gunners rather. The Brens look like huge LBEs but some of the Sten holders looked chest-like.
But people were shorter then. And I thought I read somewhere about a paratrooper assault vest the US army used but didn't work out so well.

SteyrAUG
10-11-15, 01:07
Not to split hairs, but those Bren mag holders looked pretty chesty. Like a large LBE.

ETA Sten gunners rather. The Brens look like huge LBEs but some of the Sten holders looked chest-like.
But people were shorter then. And I thought I read somewhere about a paratrooper assault vest the US army used but didn't work out so well.

Forgot about subguns. Wonder if there was ever a Thompson chest rig. Hell might even be a MP-18 chest rig for all we know.

Moose-Knuckle
10-11-15, 01:51
Hmm, there is a FB page entitled Old Republic Enterprises, Inc. - Vintage Operator Gear that is an outstanding resource for vintage kit.

My guess would be the German's in WWII, both the MP 40 and the StG 44 had chest rig magazine carriers. Chicoms, IDF, Rhodeisans all used them as well later in the 50's and 60's.

docsherm
10-11-15, 09:39
US and Brits in WWI carried grenades in Chest Rigs.

http://doughboymilitary.com/uploads/231%20(20).jpg

MountainRaven
10-11-15, 19:25
I believe that American and British riggers made some of the first magazine-carrying chest rigs for paratroopers. I think the first production chest rigs were Chinese, however: It appears that the Chinese made chest rigs for Thompson subguns during WW2.

chilidawg
10-17-15, 08:54
US and Brits in WWI carried grenades in Chest Rigs.

http://doughboymilitary.com/uploads/231%20(20).jpg
^^^this..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

AFCATM
10-22-15, 06:02
Let's not forget there were some chest rig looking custom kits here and there with WW2 Rangers along with previously stated British Commandos.

gibsonsg05
12-05-15, 22:51
I like the Chicom rigs but feel that the mags sit too deep in the pockets, pretty easy to alter though.