PDA

View Full Version : NRA basic pistol instructor's course.

Mauser KAR98K
10-11-15, 10:16
I am highly thinking of doing this as of late. When I'm home and on the range, the range owner brings out a class and I end up helping with safety, loading weapons, and instructing new shooters with stances, handling and trigger work.

I have also helped and taught new shooters (family and neighbors) to some good success. Three years ago I held a "class" in my front yard with my cousins, who had just got into firearms and later prepping. Even out here on the road doing my job, when firearms come up I tend show some stances and techniques, or general weapon choices.

So, I'm looking into taking the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor's Course to, I guess, make what I'm doing "offical". I don't know what else I could do with it or what doors could open up for me.

Should I do this? Are there better courses for the money?

SurplusShooter
10-11-15, 10:57
I was in a similar situation to yours (found myself helping-out around the range often) and took NRA basic instructors class to be an instructor. to be honest it didn't do much for me since I don't teach classes and I'm In a state that does not have a training requirement.

If you live in a state that has training requirement for CCW that drives demand more for classes. In my case, the other students in my instructor class were people who either worked at a range or ran a private security guard company.

It's expensive to get the cert and somewhat expensive to keep certification current, especially when you factor in the liability insurance. Alot of people roll without liability insurance but I would not, and the cost was high.

Working with firearms or training is not part of my job so I didn't get much use out of it, but still glad I took the class incase I need to help a friend.

T2C
10-11-15, 12:25
SurplusShooter makes a good point about insurance. Lockton Risk offers instructor insurance through the NRA at $300 + $15 admin fee or $315 per year. It's worth every penny if someone is injured during a course.

Dienekes
10-13-15, 10:51
Mixed opinions here. One one hand, it's good to be able to meet a certain need and to issue a document to that effect--a service to your fellow man, so to speak. The number of people nowadays who actually think they need some training and will respond to your efforts with some efforts on their part is--moot. The old saying is that you can tell people--but you can't tell them much. And if you make it very easy and low cost, even less value seems to be attached to it. I've instructed the brain-dead and the highly motivated, for the NRA and for the job. The first is sheer drudgery, and the second, very rewarding.

Frankly, the latter category are the people who ought to be going off to Gunsite and similar places, IMHO.

Add to all this the potential for liability and lawsuits. Being a good guy nowadays has its risks. Sad.

30 cal slut
10-14-15, 10:11
I am highly thinking of doing this as of late. When I'm home and on the range, the range owner brings out a class and I end up helping with safety, loading weapons, and instructing new shooters with stances, handling and trigger work.

I have also helped and taught new shooters (family and neighbors) to some good success. Three years ago I held a "class" in my front yard with my cousins, who had just got into firearms and later prepping. Even out here on the road doing my job, when firearms come up I tend show some stances and techniques, or general weapon choices.

So, I'm looking into taking the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor's Course to, I guess, make what I'm doing "offical". I don't know what else I could do with it or what doors could open up for me.

Should I do this? Are there better courses for the money?

I live in a state that requires training for CCW. Specifically NRA-sanctioned training.

I decided to get my NRA instructor creds for pistol and rifle, because like you, I was helping people informally.

I was lucky to have a buddy who is an NRA training counselor who hooked me up with the classes.

I think it's worth the time, because yes, it does give you some "legitimacy." Also, you are provided with an instructional packet that is basically an outline for an 8 hour pistol or rifle course, which comes in very handy.

As mentioned before, getting NRA liability insurance via lockton risk is also very helpful. Not just to CYA, but nowadays many ranges are requiring it for range rentals.

As far as what you actually learn ... probably zippo compared to what you already know, and may have already picked up in formal training.

It's bare bones basic safety and fundamentals. Nothing more. Other combative shooting skills are not addressed. In fact, in the instructional materials the NRA wants you to avoid referring to a gun as a "weapon" and instead call it a "firearm."

Also not covered is legalities and use of deadly force, which is something you probably want to include in your class, but these obviously vary by locality. Best to supplement that with a lawyer in your area.

The NRA cert is just a start - I'd supplement it with more training obviously, up to and including instructor qualification classes taught be tier-1 instructors like Paul Howe.