PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon RMR lens coating

Flankenstein
10-11-15, 13:33
How tough is it?

Per their website:

How should I clean the lens of my Trijicon RMR sight?

We suggest that you used compressed air to remove any large debris to avoid scratching the lens. Once clear of debris, use an ordinary glass cleaner or car wax. A mild plastic polish will remove minor swirl type scratching. It is important to avoid the use of any strong solvents like lacquer thinner or bore cleaner near the lens as they will damage the lens coatings. Use of a motorized polishing device on the lens will also cause damage to the unit’s lens.

Like an idiot I was spraying the breach face of my FNX and I smoked the RMR with MPro7. I don't know enough about Mpro7 (just started using it) to know if this is an issue.

Coal Dragger
10-11-15, 14:10
MPRO 7 seems pretty gentle, as long as you didn't let it soak you're probably fine. Just dry it off and gently clean with some alcohol.

More harsh chemicals are what you need to worry about, like spray on carbon cleaners etc.

Flankenstein
10-12-15, 11:31
Anybody know what mpo-7's base actually is? I thought it was water but their site claims otherwise.

GH41
10-12-15, 14:40
Get a lens pen at your local camera shop. Very soft brush on one end and felt pad on the other. To preserve the coating don't clean if you can't see it when using the scope.

Flankenstein
10-12-15, 15:45
Thanks for the tip but that wasn't the issue. I was cleaning the gun and not paying attention and blasted the rmr with mpro-7. Wasn't intentional and would have been very avoidable if I was paying attention.

Horsehide
10-12-15, 17:38
A slightly damp piece of microfiber material should work fine in removing oily contamination.
Avoid tissues and paper towels as they tend to be very abrasive.

Flankenstein
10-12-15, 17:48
A slightly damp piece of microfiber material should work fine in removing oily contamination.
Avoid tissues and paper towels as they tend to be very abrasive.

Yep...I wasn't trying to clean the RMR as noted. I sprayed Mpro7 it on by accident. Mpro7 isn't oily at all.