PDA

View Full Version : SigSauer Poly Mags. Thoughts?

mike01ta
07-31-08, 17:46
I ran into these at a local gun store. They come in a 2 pack clipped to each other. I have not got to shoot with them yet. They cycled dummy rounds ok if not a little stiff. I recall a gunwriter (dont remeber who) praising the mags from the 550 wishing they were AR compatible. Are these just the AR version of the 550s or are they junky? I have plenty of proven GI mags so these were mainly for curiousity but I would like to know what to expect.
Thanks, Mike

Stickman
07-31-08, 18:22
I've got a couple, and I don't bother to use them. Hold them up next to the PMAGs and they really start to look/ feel cheap. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't done much shooting with them. With PMAGs being cheaper, I've never seen the point of the Sig mags.

Sig should contract with Magpul.

ToddG
07-31-08, 22:54
I don't know if these are the original mags SIG was going to get for the 556 or improved ones. The original ones were junk. I had a contract with both Picatinny and the State Department to buy the first couple hundred that came into the US (at an ungodly high price) for testing. When we got the mags in, I insisted that we not trust the Israeli manufacturer and instead conduct some testing of our own. Result: the mags would crack if dropped loaded from 3-4 feet. :rolleyes:

markm
07-31-08, 23:03
Result: the mags would crack if dropped loaded from 3-4 feet. :rolleyes:

For prone use only eh? :p

LOKNLOD
07-31-08, 23:28

"Sniper Mags!" They'll sell like hotcakes...

ToddG
07-31-08, 23:38

"Sniper Mags!" They'll sell like hotcakes...

Now that's funny!

Just to be clear, I have no idea whether the mags SIG is currently shipping with their rifles have been improved. There are enough folks with 556's here that I'm sure more than a few mags have been dropped loaded by now.

DrewH
08-02-08, 16:37
I bought a couple, with the connector, and had a failure to feed in each of them in one 30 round cycle through an otherwise reliable rifle-I think it has one other failure in over 2,500 rounds. The ammo was Mk 262 Mod 1 seconds from Black Hills. Maybe a fluke, maybe they didn't like that ammo, I decided to sell them.

casio02478
08-03-08, 12:01
Played with one at a recent trade show and was not impressed, it is flimsy and cheap. I think I will stick with Pmags.

fasty77
08-04-08, 11:06
My best friend that runs a guns store actually pulls them out of any sig product they get and put pmag's with them.
they are with out a doubt the worst mags out there
many break in shipping let alone real world use