PDA

View Full Version : What is the next "big thing" in handguns?

AnthonyCumia
10-13-15, 03:07
Is there anything left or have we just maxed out things?

themighty9mm
10-13-15, 04:11
Not sure what you are hoping for, but really we have seen what the manufacturers can do, and what the general public is willing to accept and embrace. The new stuff mostly gets looked over, the ccw market is pretty much flooded, a new caliber most likely wont be received well when compared to what is common and available. So at best, lighter weight materials, higher capacity, and some simple recoil reduction systems or attempts at reducing recoil, but just like it has been for the last 20 or 25 years, minor updates to what it currently available is what you are realistically looking at in the near future.

What I would like to see as the next big thing would be the same or better quality from 20 or 25 years ago. Instead of small parts being stamped out or molded as quickly as possible I'd like to see small parts actually being machined. While we can still get that, its usually known as "custom" and aftermarket, those same parts used to be factory standard. I'm talking to you glock, and beretta to name a couple. I do understand the reality though, as more machine time is required, the price does go up, and manufacturers hit a point that they understand the general public, just wont pay.

mig1nc
10-13-15, 05:57
The next big thing I think will be wider adoption of optics on handguns.

The next-next big thing, I think, will be more integrated systems. Like lights and lasers with crimson trace style instinctive activation

The next-next-next big thing will be the integral silencer from SilencerCo and other companies getting into the game.

AnthonyCumia
10-13-15, 06:42
The next big thing I think will be wider adoption of optics on handguns.

The next-next big thing, I think, will be more integrated systems. Like lights and lasers with crimson trace style instinctive activation

The next-next-next big thing will be the integral silencer from SilencerCo and other companies getting into the game.

True, but with the NFA do you thing Integrally suppressed handguns will be a large market due to the asshatery of the NFA?

sevenhelmet
10-13-15, 06:51
As 3-D printing techniques advance, I think we may see more brands of polymer receivers over the next 10-15 years, as well as receivers that integrate parts differently. It would take a gunsmith (I am not) to tell you specifics, but I think there may be limitations to current firearms that 3-D printing could overcome, or at least simplify.

mig1nc
10-13-15, 07:11
True, but with the NFA do you thing Integrally suppressed handguns will be a large market due to the asshatery of the NFA?
Well, as it is I hardly ever go to the range anymore without seeing at least one other guy with nfa stuff. But you are right. With the nfa the way it is that may be the next big thing in agency and mil use rather than civilian.

That being said, if efile form4 comes back with month or less approvals I think nfa use will sky rocket.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1986s4
10-13-15, 07:53
The next big thing is when people figure out they already have the next big thing. Just shoot it more, become more proficient with it.

Shao
10-13-15, 10:02
Solid milled carbon fiber frames with titanium/steel rail inserts and titanium slides?

MMCs used in firearm construction (Metal-Matrix Composites - imagine Carbon fiber, but instead of a phenolic resin being used as a binder, titanium alloy is) - Lighter than titanium and stronger, just currently very cost-prohibitive.

Electronic fire control systems. Some people already trust their Aimpoints over their irons, so as solid-state circuitry and more reliable systems advance in technology, it's completely feasible in my mind to create superior electronic FCGs. Instead of a battery, it could be powered by recycled kinetic energy, with any excess being stored in capacitors, thus eliminating the need for battery changes and the complexities/size involved in incorporating user-changeable cells. The advantages would be numerous. Smart triggers, Nintendo-like button press triggers. Elimination of trigger-linkages in bullpup designs... etc...

Caseless ammo. An idea far ahead of its time. Higher capacity magazines, lighter pack weight, and less wastage are just a few reasons why this technology could be a superior alternative to the traditional cased round. We're still basically using technology invented like 170 years ago.

I have a lot more... but I have to run. :D

Beef15
10-13-15, 10:24
Integrated lights and lasers. Built in tech will take handguns to the cell phone level, minor advances will fuel turnover/sales.

Continued advancements in materials and manufacturing will result in smaller, lighter, more mechanically accurate firearms and/or higher profit margins.

Defaultmp3
10-13-15, 11:49
Optics mounted on a non-reciprocating slide.

AnthonyCumia
10-13-15, 12:12
Solid milled carbon fiber frames with titanium/steel rail inserts and titanium slides?

MMCs used in firearm construction (Metal-Matrix Composites - imagine Carbon fiber, but instead of a phenolic resin being used as a binder, titanium alloy is) - Lighter than titanium and stronger, just currently very cost-prohibitive.

Electronic fire control systems. Some people already trust their Aimpoints over their irons, so as solid-state circuitry and more reliable systems advance in technology, it's completely feasible in my mind to create superior electronic FCGs. Instead of a battery, it could be powered by recycled kinetic energy, with any excess being stored in capacitors, thus eliminating the need for battery changes and the complexities/size involved in incorporating user-changeable cells. The advantages would be numerous. Smart triggers, Nintendo-like button press triggers. Elimination of trigger-linkages in bullpup designs... etc...

Caseless ammo. An idea far ahead of its time. Higher capacity magazines, lighter pack weight, and less wastage are just a few reasons why this technology could be a superior alternative to the traditional cased round. We're still basically using technology invented like 170 years ago.

Ever think we will see Gyro Jet style ammo?

That would be awesome. Have it with a stranded set up with a bullet that is a rocket with its own full inside of the body of the round.

AnthonyCumia
10-13-15, 12:12

Ever think we will see Gyro Jet style ammo?

That would be awesome. Have it with a stranded set up with a bullet that is a rocket with its own full inside of the body of the round.

AnthonyCumia
10-13-15, 12:25
Integrated lights and lasers. Built in tech will take handguns to the cell phone level, minor advances will fuel turnover/sales.

Continued advancements in materials and manufacturing will result in smaller, lighter, more mechanically accurate firearms and/or higher profit margins.

Like this?

http://i.4cdn.org/k/1444756927640.jpg

Abraham
10-13-15, 12:50
All plastic bullets.

AnthonyCumia
10-13-15, 13:46
All plastic bullets.

With metal mixed in? I mean would they have enough weight on their own?

10-13-15, 13:54
Are we talking tech or trends? My crystal ball says one day we'll probably see OEM slide lightening cuts out of the factory. Seems trendy. I'm not talking about Glock 34/35 type slide cutouts but milled out side windows and such.

sevenhelmet
10-13-15, 14:10

I love these ideas, but the electronic fire control got me thinking... Do you think along with that we'll see more incorporation of biometric safety features? I personally think that's a terrible idea for any firearm intended for self-defense due to potential reliability issues, wearing gloves, a family member might be the one using it, etc. I could certainly see this becoming a liability-driven issue in today's political climate and litigious society, but I hate that idea more than I could tell you. Firearms should be simple.
Anti-gunner propaganda, or something that is actually desired by industry?

Abraham
10-13-15, 14:16
AnthonyCumia,

A few issues back "Guns and Ammo" had an article about "all plastic" bullets were in development by a company whose name escapes me...

They had photos of some the prototypes.

ejr490
10-13-15, 20:33
Modular stuff, and optics I think will become a lot more available.
Ed

wildcard600
10-13-15, 20:42
De-cocking "single action" striker fired guns.

oh wait....

ruchik
10-13-15, 22:35
I think the next big leap forward in any firearms technology, not just handguns, will be the use of different ammunition, other than traditional copper and lead.

AnthonyCumia
10-14-15, 02:07
I wonder when Rail pistols will be a real thing..

Leuthas
10-14-15, 02:21
Immediately-next?

I'd emphasis what has already been mentioned here - the wide adoption of optics on pistols, and also an increase in market variety of small RDS's such as the RMR and Vortex's equivalent. Eventually, you will likely see a more standard mounting system which is accommodated on the slide coming from the factory. But, that's just my speculation of the coming evolution in firearms.

In other news, as someone who probably played Halo a few too many times in my teenage years, I've always been rather fond to the idea of a magazine which could be topped off while in the weapon. Basically an ultra-modern adaptation of stripper clips. Never have an empty weapon.

AnthonyCumia
10-14-15, 04:45
Immediately-next?

I'd emphasis what has already been mentioned here - the wide adoption of optics on pistols, and also an increase in market variety of small RDS's such as the RMR and Vortex's equivalent. Eventually, you will likely see a more standard mounting system which is accommodated on the slide coming from the factory. But, that's just my speculation of the coming evolution in firearms.

In other news, as someone who probably played Halo a few too many times in my teenage years, I've always been rather fond to the idea of a magazine which could be topped off while in the weapon. Basically an ultra-modern adaptation of stripper clips. Never have an empty weapon.

You have my attention...Any ideas how to make that happen?

Leuthas
10-14-15, 06:24
I don't see it being practical when considering reliability and durability in a firearm not purpose built for the concept.

A little too out of the box, perhaps.

crosseyedshooter
10-14-15, 11:30
I feel like the next big thing is already here in the form of the Sig P320. A serialized fire control group that makes most of the other ideas in this thread practical by any third-party. A modular platform capable of multiple calibers, integrated optics, lights, lasers and complete configurations are just a 3D printer away. The same FCG could be configured from subcompact to subgun within the current confines of the law and anyone could design a chassis for it. The P320 just isn't popular enough at the moment but it could really take off if the FBI adopts it as their new standard in 9mm.

Leuthas
10-14-15, 11:39
I feel like the next big thing is already here in the form of the Sig P320. A serialized fire control group that makes most of the other ideas in this thread practical by any third-party. A modular platform capable of multiple calibers, integrated optics, lights, lasers and complete configurations are just a 3D printer away. The same FCG could be configured from subcompact to subgun within the current confines of the law and anyone could design a chassis for it. The P320 just isn't popular enough at the moment but it could really take off if the FBI adopts it as their new standard in 9mm.
The P320 is interesting, but ultimately none of those options are unique, from a strict design and engineering perspective, to the P320.

crosseyedshooter
10-14-15, 11:48
The P320 is interesting, but ultimately none of those options are unique, from a strict design and engineering perspective, to the P320.

It's unique in the sense that it can be a crowd-sourced open platform. That might be good and bad, but no FFL or manufacturer's license required to design and manufacture receivers with integrated gizmos, switches, etc. Anyone could conceivably 3D print a P320 grip/receiver that accepts Glock magazines, built-in GPS transponder, integrated light/laser and pressure switch. They wouldn't have to wait for Sig or some big-name firearms manufacturer to come up with the idea.

Leuthas
10-14-15, 12:00
It's unique in the sense that it can be a crowd-sourced open platform. That might be good and bad, but no FFL or manufacturer's license required to design and manufacture receivers with integrated gizmos, switches, etc. Anyone could conceivably 3D print a P320 grip/receiver that accepts Glock magazines, built-in GPS transponder, integrated light/laser and pressure switch. They wouldn't have to wait for Sig or some big-name firearms manufacturer to come up with the idea.

That possibility is very doable with any design. In most states, there is nothing stopping a person from making their own firearm, whether based on a current concept or not. You just can't transfer it.

AnthonyCumia
10-14-15, 12:43

Everything sounds great...Expect that.

K1tt3n5
10-14-15, 20:26

Wasn't the p250 the same way?

There isn't anything that I'm still searching for that I view as necessary. Built in lights, integrally suppressed, and things like that would be nice I suppose.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-14-15, 20:48
More boring plastic Glock knock-offs.

ejr490
10-15-15, 00:54
I like all the combat type stuff but what I would really like to see is a top end for lets say the Sig 320, or could be the 226 or classic style that has a target type of theme. Big adjustable sights like Bomars, match barrel, stuff like that. Now I know you can get Sigs target gun but with all the modular stuff going on I think that might be kind of fun.

Ed

brickboy240
10-15-15, 10:29
Ummm...the Glocks I have just flat out run and give tons less troubles than my 1911s or other pistols.

I'll take "boring plastic" thank you.

crusader377
10-15-15, 15:03
Is there anything left or have we just maxed out things?

I would argue that handgun development has fundamentally been evolutionary since the early 1900s with the advent of the M1911 and Browning Hi Power. The basic criteria for what a combat handgun needs to do was established in the early 1900s and really hasn't changed much since then. This criteria is the following:

Accuracy: 4-5 inch or better group at 25M. Sufficient for consistent center of mass hits at that range and a capability to extend out to 50M in rare circumstances

Firing a round with decent stopping power/controllability (9mm/.45): Although ammunition design has certainly advanced there has yet to be a round that is significantly superior to either the 9mm or .45 in overall usability.

Reload speed: Nothing developed since the M1911/BHP has significantly better reload speed

Reliability/Durability: Again although some modern pistol may be more reliable/durable these improvements have been very incremental at best

Overall shootability/usability: Again any improvements have been pretty minor since the M1911/BHP

Although there have been evolutions since the early 1900s such as the advent of the P38 (advent of DA/SA for easier usability), the advent of the wonder nines (Beretta 92/CZ-75/Sig P22x series) which combined the DA/SA with high magazine capacity, these evolutions really didn't change the fundamental nature of a service pistol.

Even the Glock which has been one of the most important and recent pistol evolutions, really didn't break any new ground in overall pistol capability. I would even argue the biggest evolution with the Glock was more in its ease and low cost of production (Allowing for a very high quality pistol at a low price) and Glock's far superior marketing/customer support (Allowing it to win large market share from competitors).

I think there may be small evolutions in handguns in the future but for the most part handguns are a very mature technology.

Abraham
10-15-15, 15:14
brickboy240,

Glocks work.

1911's are beautiful, but often DON'T work...

Coal Dragger
10-15-15, 16:04
Well short of Hans Solo's blaster I'm not sure what the next breakthrough would be.

It would be neat if a pistol or rifle for that matter could be pruduced using reliable and economical caseless ammuntion. I know HK played with the concept in the early 90's but it didn't go anywhere.

The advantages in reliability and simplification of the firearm might be pretty significant with caseless ammo. You'd still need a vestigial extractor and ejector system for administrative unloading showing clear, and clearing a dud round. However, in actual shooting there'd be no spent brass to extract or eject. Which rules out malfunctions related to getting spent cases out of the weapon during otherwise normal operation.

AnthonyCumia
10-15-15, 16:20
I think a glock in 5.7 would be cool.

AnthonyCumia
10-15-15, 16:25
brickboy240,

Glocks work.

1911's are beautiful, but often DON'T work...

True. Also Grip safety systems are pain in the ass.

Dionysusigma
10-15-15, 18:07
Well short of Hans Solo's blaster I'm not sure what the next breakthrough would be.

A gun that modifies video evidence to make it later look like the other side shot first? :D

Leaveammoforme
10-15-15, 18:54
I think a glock in 5.7 would be cool.

22LR conversions already exist. Run CCI Stingers and there you go.

AnthonyCumia
10-15-15, 21:05
22LR conversions already exist. Run CCI Stingers and there you go.

Is the stopping power anything like it?

scooter22
10-15-15, 22:59
Is the stopping power anything like it?

"Stopping power"? 5.7? Not sure if serious...

dhena81
10-15-15, 23:13
VP9 G19 sized still holds 15 rounds

MegademiC
10-16-15, 06:25
No, 5.7 is a little "more powerfuller" Than a 22mag, so 22lr will leave you wanting more I would guess.

Tzook
10-16-15, 08:53
I personally don't think we're going to see anything that's too drastically different from what we already have until we see a change in ammunition. Caseless or whatever will be next. Obviously optics are becoming more and more common on pistols, very likely that trend will continue.

Leuthas
10-16-15, 09:18

It would be neat if a pistol or rifle for that matter could be pruduced using reliable and economical caseless ammuntion. I know HK played with the concept in the early 90's but it didn't go anywhere.

The advantages in reliability and simplification of the firearm might be pretty significant with caseless ammo. You'd still need a vestigial extractor and ejector system for administrative unloading showing clear, and clearing a dud round. However, in actual shooting there'd be no spent brass to extract or eject. Which rules out malfunctions related to getting spent cases out of the weapon during otherwise normal operation.

The most significant disadvantage to careless ammunition is the subtle but important heat sink found in a brass case. A barrier between the chamber wall and the explosion which absorbs thermal energy and conveniently discards it after each shot.

brickboy240
10-16-15, 11:45
Hopefully a Glock with no finger grooves and no brass to face.

LOL

Apec
10-16-15, 21:04
We're probably almost at the limit of what can be done. I'd expect most advances to be in materials technology - i.e. ceramic lined barrels with an even longer life, spring alloys with longer life, etc.

Digital "ammo counters" may eventually work once people figure out how to squeeze all the electronics in there and make them reliable enough to withstand recoil. I'd imagine the most reliable way for an ammo counter to work would be to have a grip sensor that is able to remotely measure the position of the follower, as well as identify the max capacity of the magazine (i.e QR code). It's going to require a lot of collaboration though.

Leuthas
10-16-15, 21:44
Electronics - namely computers - are very small and very rugged. It is entirely possible to accomplish without a doubt however the demand for such a feature at the increased price which would naturally follow simply doesn't exist.

MegademiC
10-16-15, 22:00
Compensators/breaks on compact guns.
Just a guess.

bp_968
10-17-15, 05:39
I like the ideas of better integrated lasers and lights (a 1000 lumen cree LED could easily be stuffed into even a tiny gun, run it at lower current to get 300-500lm and you could use a very small battery setup). Same with lasers I imagine (no direct experience there).

As for integral suppressors, I LOVE the idea. I have to wonder how we could really make it truely part of the gun instead of just essentially being glued to the barrel. Let's ignore NFA for a minute and assume that silencers get deregulated.

My trident 9 is quiet on a G19 but also what? 7" long maybe? I've tried some of the 4-5" suppressors and while they certainly help they are far from quiet. I'm wondering if you could design a fixed barrel setup with a very short barrel before the bullet gets to the baffles and place the baffle assembly just forward of the trigger guard and go boxy like Maxim or SilencerCo have done. It would sacrifice diameter and height to recover the volume lost from length. It would end up making for a unorthodox looking gun. Maybe a bit like the nano pistol.

With electronic fire control circuits you could redesign some of the basic functions, like have it hold the reload cycle until pressures drop below the noise level and reduce or eleminate the pop you get from ejection port noise.

Of course electronic fire control circuits will instantly force the country to look at and reevaluate the stupidity of the NFA and 1986 FOPA. Almost anything could become FA with 5 minutes and an arduino if they add electronic fire control to guns. Personally I'm all for it.

The other area(s) we will see more growth is also related to electronics. First, on gun optics, already discussed. Second: precision fire systems like trackfire (is that their name?). The technology they are using to get those shots is not really that far out there. A bunch of quality sensors, some excellent databases online in the gun and a good ARM processor to put it all together into a useful "dope" and then sets the shot up for you. You just need to keep the cross hairs on the target. I expect similar systems to reach the 1000$ point in no more then 2-3 years. Maybe less. We might see some DIY and opensource designs popping up here soon if they haven't already.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AnthonyCumia
10-17-15, 16:13
I like the ideas of better integrated lasers and lights (a 1000 lumen cree LED could easily be stuffed into even a tiny gun, run it at lower current to get 300-500lm and you could use a very small battery setup). Same with lasers I imagine (no direct experience there).

As for integral suppressors, I LOVE the idea. I have to wonder how we could really make it truely part of the gun instead of just essentially being glued to the barrel. Let's ignore NFA for a minute and assume that silencers get deregulated.

My trident 9 is quiet on a G19 but also what? 7" long maybe? I've tried some of the 4-5" suppressors and while they certainly help they are far from quiet. I'm wondering if you could design a fixed barrel setup with a very short barrel before the bullet gets to the baffles and place the baffle assembly just forward of the trigger guard and go boxy like Maxim or SilencerCo have done. It would sacrifice diameter and height to recover the volume lost from length. It would end up making for a unorthodox looking gun. Maybe a bit like the nano pistol.

With electronic fire control circuits you could redesign some of the basic functions, like have it hold the reload cycle until pressures drop below the noise level and reduce or eleminate the pop you get from ejection port noise.

Of course electronic fire control circuits will instantly force the country to look at and reevaluate the stupidity of the NFA and 1986 FOPA. Almost anything could become FA with 5 minutes and an arduino if they add electronic fire control to guns. Personally I'm all for it.

The other area(s) we will see more growth is also related to electronics. First, on gun optics, already discussed. Second: precision fire systems like trackfire (is that their name?). The technology they are using to get those shots is not really that far out there. A bunch of quality sensors, some excellent databases online in the gun and a good ARM processor to put it all together into a useful "dope" and then sets the shot up for you. You just need to keep the cross hairs on the target. I expect similar systems to reach the 1000$ point in no more then 2-3 years. Maybe less. We might see some DIY and opensource designs popping up here soon if they haven't already.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So many product ideas, so much profits, so much win could be had if not for moronic gun laws...(all them are moronic)...Soon they will be gone, very soon.

I think Green Lasers will be the new stranded.

teutonicpolymer
11-01-15, 22:51
I'm seeing a lot of ideas that I would NOT want on a pistol if I had one custom designed for myself

I don't like optics on pistols.

I don't want my guns dependent on electronics (electronic FCS).

What I would want:
-higher quality
-cheaper prices
-better ergonomics
-thinner pistols
-more rounds held for the size
-more accuracy
-more customizable along the lines of the p320

Bang4Buck
11-03-15, 21:08
Directed energy weapons will be the next "BIG" thing. The other things are incremental and don't fall in the "big" category as far as I'm concerned.

I can't wait to debate whether or not your laser beam thingy is mil-spec or not.

Bang4Buck
11-03-15, 21:42
Well just wait for the grabbers to try and ban them, you know they will try.

3D printing advances will end the debate in the next 15 years or so. The talking heads on TV will shift to something else, like bigger gun-free zone signs, so the bad guys can see them more clearly.

AnthonyCumia
11-04-15, 14:04
3D printing advances will end the debate in the next 15 years or so. The talking heads on TV will shift to something else, like bigger gun-free zone signs, so the bad guys can see them more clearly.

Any reason why we can not make a 1911 frame out of polymer?

Leuthas
11-04-15, 16:08

3D printers (for lack of a better term) are not limited to polymer.

cutter_spc
11-04-15, 19:15
I would like to see more integrated electronics in the form or lasers and lights. Imagine a light or laser, or heck both, integral to the weapon and are activated by an internal pressure switch in the grip. No wires, no screws, nothing to come loose, nothing to fall off. Kinda like Smiths body guard, or the Taurus curve, only better.

Kinda off topic, but I know Beretta has toyed with the idea of having a rifle with powered picatinny rails. Batteries stored in the stock and just clip on your choice of light , red dot, or laser and away you go.

jpmuscle
11-04-15, 19:45
Directed energy weapons will be the next "BIG" thing. The other things are incremental and don't fall in the "big" category as far as I'm concerned.

I can't wait to debate whether or not your laser beam thingy is mil-spec or not.
Those transistor lube threads will be epic.

AnthonyCumia
11-04-15, 22:21
3D printers (for lack of a better term) are not limited to polymer.

Oh I know, but for cost reasons they are the cheapest.

I would love to know if you can make a mold and cast them out of polymer, maybe sell the mold as a kit.

I would like to see more integrated electronics in the form or lasers and lights. Imagine a light or laser, or heck both, integral to the weapon and are activated by an internal pressure switch in the grip. No wires, no screws, nothing to come loose, nothing to fall off. Kinda like Smiths body guard, or the Taurus curve, only better.

Kinda off topic, but I know Beretta has toyed with the idea of having a rifle with powered picatinny rails. Batteries stored in the stock and just clip on your choice of light , red dot, or laser and away you go.

I have always wanted to know why their is not a laser or light (or combo) that does not activate the moment it is holstered.

nimdabew
11-04-15, 22:46
I have always wanted to know why their is not a laser or light (or combo) that does not activate the moment it is holstered.

I have wondered why there is not a red dot that doesn't turn on when you move the optic, but turns off after 10 minutes of non-movement.

Leuthas
11-05-15, 00:37
I have wondered why there is not a red dot that doesn't turn on when you move the optic, but turns off after 10 minutes of non-movement.
Incorporating a gyro into a RDS would add rather unnecessary complexity for an incredibly small positive.

Because many shooters would not want a light or laser which activates automatically when removed from the holster. Something about being a huge beacon of light in the dark broadcasting your position to everyone in the area.

We should all keep in mind the idea of retaining 'modularity' and room customization is king, and will win in the market.

nimdabew
11-05-15, 01:56
Incorporating a gyro into a RDS would add rather unnecessary complexity for an incredibly small positive.

Because many shooters would not want a light or laser which activates automatically when removed from the holster. Something about being a huge beacon of light in the dark broadcasting your position to everyone in the area.

We should all keep in mind the idea of retaining 'modularity' and room customization is king, and will win in the market.

Is a gravity sensor that complex? I wouldn't think so since most phones now a days have them, gyro sensors, etc. and incorporating a simple sensor that when it detects movement in any direction, it activates the red dot and turns the damn thing on. I would pick up another EOTech in a heart beat right now if it had this capability and a 1 year battery shelf life with a CR123. I don't design stuff like this, but it would seem a very simple add-on to a sight like the XPS. Hell, if you wanted to go full on, light sensors like in the SF iltellabeam and a sensor like this would be able to give variables a constantly changing illumination setting, user adjustible through soft key buttons or maybe a rotary switch that is calibrated for user preference while looking through the scope at a white wall.

I think the next "big" thing to come from red dots and variables would be something like this, though the first generation scope/sight will be trashed as unreliable similar to how EOTechs are now. Second and third gen tech that does this ala FO/trit in ACOGs would be the next leap forward in illumination tech.

richiecotite
11-05-15, 02:21

Pretty sure Rock River had a line of 1911 style pistols with polymer frames a few years back. Don't know if they were released, but u think they introduced them at SHOT, around 2011 or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leuthas
11-05-15, 03:54
The accelerometer - responsible for that function - is usually one of the first hardware related items to fail in a smart phone.

mig1nc
11-05-15, 05:46
I remember watching a Sci-fi show once where the pistols had integrated cameras that sent the feed back to command.

AnthonyCumia
11-05-15, 11:14

I doubt it is lack of tech, just the industry heads seeing the idea or demand.

Well it would have a setting that would take off said further.

Pretty sure Rock River had a line of 1911 style pistols with polymer frames a few years back. Don't know if they were released, but u think they introduced them at SHOT, around 2011 or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is all I am getting out of a search, any reason why a it would not work?

The accelerometer - responsible for that function - is usually one of the first hardware related items to fail in a smart phone.

Is it very delicate? Or just really cheap?

davebee456
11-05-15, 11:49
is this Anthony from O and A ?
I think the 2011 STI guns are pretty cool and innovative. the new beretta Pistol APX 9mm looks interesting.

AnthonyCumia
11-05-15, 13:39
is this Anthony from O and A ?
I think the 2011 STI guns are pretty cool and innovative. the new beretta Pistol APX 9mm looks interesting.

BOWLING FOR BEHAVE!.....No, I wish I was, I picked the name back when he was still on the show and seeing if I can change it to something else.

I wish he was still on the show, such great banter, points, quick wit....

I hear he might move to a free state, I can see him owning an MG42.

Back on point I just like the idea of casting finish receivers, easy, fast, anyone can do it would open it up to everyone, would make alot of money and piss off the gun grabbers, what is the down side?

Benito
11-07-15, 20:50
While there are some excellent points and ideas in this thread, you guys are totally missing the obvious revolution in handgun technology.

The SALT Gun is a total game-changer, baby.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/11/02/salt-your-home-intruder/

I'm expecting the police, Navy SEALs and Secret Service to switch to this puppy any day now.
Anyone know if the X300 Ultra fits this thing? Can't wait!!!

highxj
11-07-15, 22:28

I'm assuming you mean a red dot that "does" turn on when you move the optic, and turns back off after some period of time. There are several out there that do this. The new Leupold Deltapoint Pro turns off after 5 or 10 minutes (can't remember which right now), and pops back on as soon as you touch it. Same with the Leupold LCO but it stays on a bit longer. The Meprolight Trudot RDS turns off after about 15 minutes and any movement turns it back on. Holosun makes Aimpoint Micro clones that have this feature. Also the Leupold Fire dot scopes.

Leuthas
11-08-15, 02:39
Is it very delicate? Or just really cheap?

Given the trends in quality, cost and outcome balance of most [cell phone] manufacturers, I'd say it's a matter of making one excellently resilient and reliable is prohibitively expensive.

AnthonyCumia
11-08-15, 13:40
While there are some excellent points and ideas in this thread, you guys are totally missing the obvious revolution in handgun technology.

I'm expecting the police, Navy SEALs and Secret Service to switch to this puppy any day now.

That guy will be sued for something very, very soon..That is just a lawyers wet dream come to life.

KCBRUIN
11-08-15, 17:33

Handgun version of a pepperball gun... I've been shot with a pepperball gun in training and it hurt and the oc worked but it takes a lot of rounds to get enough in the air.

"Fake" Product disclaimer: Warning all bad guys wearing any type of mask are immune to salt gun, salt reps not responsible for ensuing ass whupping.

montrala
11-09-15, 02:51
This "inventions" are most popular in countries where people are not allowed to get proper self defence equipment. Of course there are those (like UK), when they can not use anything more dangerous than rape whistle for self defence

For example link to "self defence revolvers and pistols" in one of biggest Polish webshops - none of those are actual firearms. One is even this SALT under name of Tippman PG-7.

http://www.militaria.pl/samoobrona/miotacze_kul_gumowych_i_pieprzowych/pistolety_i_rewolwery_c1764.xml

But getting serious. For me next big thing (until rail or direct energy guns) would be integrated, foldable RDS, that deploys automatically on draw and folds back on holstering.

Leuthas
11-09-15, 23:39
Back on track.

How about a pistol which escapes the traditional full-length slide, allowing a significantly lower bore axis for better recoil control?

ST911
11-10-15, 08:20
Back on track.

Please and thank you. Off-topic content removed.

brickboy240
11-10-15, 10:39
Speaking of the "next big thing" in pistols...anybody know what happened to Beretta's offering to the polymer striker pistol world? The APX?

There was a little talk about it, then we never heard or saw anything ever again about the pistol.

Did Beretta junk the idea?

montrala
11-12-15, 03:18
No. they just tried triggers on PPQ, P320 and VP9 and decided to get back to drawing board.

Yooka
11-12-15, 03:19
I would love to see more 3D printed guns.

montrala
11-12-15, 03:36
Never mind.

AnthonyCumia
11-12-15, 16:41
I would love to see more 3D printed guns.

Any make and model you want to see?

Friend just bought a printer and we are going to try and make a Glock "like" frame.

JusticeM4
11-13-15, 04:05
Everyone knows the next big thing in pistols is a Glock 1911 :p

Ray guns would be awesome too. How about semi or non-lethal ammo e.g. tranquilizers or polymer-based bullets. Heck, caseless pistol ammo would be the tits.

In some seriousness though, I'd take more lightweight pistol frame designs. Or more compact/modular handgun systems that can adapt to multiple sizes or calibers (e.g. instead of buying a subcompact/compact/fullsize versions of a pistol: Glock 26/19/17/34 ). So like one Glock frame that would take different length slides. Not sure if that's a good idea vs buying multiple handguns though.

AnthonyCumia
11-13-15, 22:28
Everyone knows the next big thing in pistols is a Glock 1911 :p

Ray guns would be awesome too. How about semi or non-lethal ammo e.g. tranquilizers or polymer-based bullets. Heck, caseless pistol ammo would be the tits.

In some seriousness though, I'd take more lightweight pistol frame designs. Or more compact/modular handgun systems that can adapt to multiple sizes or calibers (e.g. instead of buying a subcompact/compact/fullsize versions of a pistol: Glock 26/19/17/34 ). So like one Glock frame that would take different length slides. Not sure if that's a good idea vs buying multiple handguns though.

I am assuming legal issues is why you will never see such a product.

jpmuscle
11-13-15, 22:33
I see no reason. If your shooting someone less lethal shouldn't even be a consideration.

Tzook
11-13-15, 22:55
Non lethal? Why?

AnthonyCumia
11-14-15, 01:37
I see no reason. If your shooting someone less lethal shouldn't even be a consideration.

Too many tranquilizers and a person will OD.

zombiescometh
11-14-15, 01:42
Judge dredd pistol

AnthonyCumia
11-14-15, 02:09
Non lethal? Why?

Some people full that they should not have to kill others in order to protect themselves, others think, for what ever reason think that "all life is is valuable" and that the life of violent criminals have just as much value and potential.

All of this is total bullshit on is face.

All "Non lethal" does is handicap the means and ability to defend themselves against people who are filled with adrenaline or on drugs who will just shrug off the effects of devices.

Another thing you have to worry about the threat of lawsuits from the "victims" or the "victims family" should you kill them.

All people who use or advocate for non lethal only are doing is giving violent criminals a chance to do more harm against the public. Never mind the threat of lawsuits.

KCBRUIN
11-14-15, 03:15
I don't think we'll see any real advancements in caliber any time soon. Maybe a fixed top of the slide/sights with just the rear middle portion of the slide moving back kind of like a desert eagle, but the rear sights stay still. This would make red dots exponentially more useful on handguns.

mig1nc
11-14-15, 08:58
If the hearing protection act goes through eventually (2017?) then the silencer co pistol will absolutely be the next big thing.

Benito
11-15-15, 00:42
Some people full that they should not have to kill others in order to protect themselves, others think, for what ever reason think that "all life is is valuable" and that the life of violent criminals have just as much value and potential.

All of this is total bullshit on is face.

All "Non lethal" does is handicap the means and ability to defend themselves against people who are filled with adrenaline or on drugs who will just shrug off the effects of devices.

Another thing you have to worry about the threat of lawsuits from the "victims" or the "victims family" should you kill them.

All people who use or advocate for non lethal only are doing is giving violent criminals a chance to do more harm against the public. Never mind the threat of lawsuits.

Non-lethal is a pleasant way of sugar-coating ineffective/unreliable. This is why police officers and politicians' bodyguards will never carry them, nor should they.

Cops' and politicians' (well, some of them) lives matter, and so do those of lowly citizens who pay their salaries and whom said occupations supposedly serve.

I am well-invested in 9mm, and don't see a revolution in caliber any time soon. 9mm has been around for a long time, is relatively economical, performs well with modern bullet designs and offers good capacity.

JusticeM4
11-15-15, 18:35

Non lethal? Why?

A few of you missed the point.

Its for the same reason people still use tazers and spray, including LEO's. Its to de-escalate a situation that does not require lethal force. Would I use it, I doubt it. But its a good option for some civilians who may prefer not to kill others.

I'm sure others will disagree, but that is a discussion for another thread.

MJN1957
11-15-15, 20:24
Easily better, smaller, and more integrated optical sights on handguns are the next big thing for handguns. Older shooters and accuracy preferences are driving that trend now and it isn't going to lessen anytime soon.

There is/will-be intense societal pressure to computerize all firearms eventually, especially handguns, due to the perceived increased 'safety' that computers will permit (e.g., automatic trigger locks, disabling in certain areas, etc...). Those ideas will get traction but will ultimately fail due to end-user resistance...but it will come back again, and again, and again. This is the evil flip-side of all the electrified add-ons the market is offering now (e.g. , lights, lasers, optics, etc...)

Some of the other observations were interesting:

Integrated suppressors are a possibility, but I think the physics work against the concept. The integrated pieces will be too large and too heavy for anything but open carry, and even then it will be more oriented toward LE.

Different materials for frame, magazines, etc... will slowly evolve as material costs come down but there really isn't much 'new' in that area. Honestly, there is little room for lighter-weight handguns now and any weight-savings will be incremental simply due to usability/recoil-management concerns (there are plenty of ultra-light handguns that are just not pleasant to shoot much NOW...imagine them lighter!). I'm really looking forward to the non-metallic material that will be suitable for barrels...THAT will be big!

One area that can be improved is springs, I expect that hydraulics, air-springs, and possibly magnetic 'springs' will begin replacing metal springs eventually but compressible composites may show-up before any of those.

The next 'thing' for ammunition will be lead-free and we are already seeing that trend developing. Beyond that will be custom-blended liquid and/or gel propellants where the chemical composition is blended to function at a specific maximum pressure. Handguns will probably be the next-to-last weapon-type to adopt those propellants (rim-fires will be the last, if they aren't just ended). Caseless ammo is probably a non-starter for handguns due to the previously mentioned heat-dump the metallic cases offer.

MikeN

yellowfin
11-15-15, 21:01
Perhaps a resurgence of the HK P7? The only thing that went wrong with that pistol at all was that it came out before 40+ states had widely available CCW.

andersenvincent7
12-03-15, 19:33
I think it is going to be wider availability of handguns set up for MRDS.