PDA

View Full Version : RFI on after market glock barrels

sua175
10-13-15, 11:55
So I have a g19 that needs a new barrel and instead of putting a factory barrel back in it i want to explore the benefits of what kind of increased accuracy a aftermarket barrel will give me. This is a duty weapon so reliability is critical. So what barrels are you guys running and how are they performing? Thanks

Andy
RLTW!

K1tt3n5
10-13-15, 12:01
Popular barrels are s3f, blacklist(made by kkm) and kkm. There are others such as wilson, storm lake(few issues, search), lone wolf(search for issues)

BillBond
10-13-15, 12:14
I like the KKM barrels.
Even though I am not a cop I don't know if I would use anything other than factory for a duty weapon.

10-13-15, 13:02
I'm all about modding my guns but for duty I'd throw a new OEM barrel back in. To each their own but if you really feel the need to use an aftermarket barrel then I'd stick to the known good stuff. Make sure you test the piss out of it with all the ammo you can put your hands on.
I know when we are involved in an OIS, our crime scene unit will take pictures of our gun at the scene. I'm pretty sure something like KKM PRECISION on the barrel wouldn't look good to those with shiny stars on their shirts when they look at the case file.

Abraham
10-13-15, 14:31
Bureaucrats wouldn't want you to have a bit more accurate barrel.

Sheesh!

10-13-15, 14:38
I just wish more companies would have the option of blind markings. I'm pretty sure that would open up the market a bit more with professionals that prefer not to have a billboard on their barrels. I blank barrel would draw less attention and probably wouldn't even get a second look.

DirectTo
10-13-15, 16:42
I'm sure you've done this, but you have gotten an aftermarket barrel swap approved by your armorer?

What's the reasoning for the barrel replacement anyway? You've shot a LOT of rounds if it's shot out. I (and I'm sure others) would be very curious what kind of info you can provide if you've shot a 19 barrel out.

ejr490
10-14-15, 10:58
I installed a Barsto Machine barrel in my Sig 226 and it shoots really well, and its an old beat up police trade in. The only bad thing I can say about Barsto is their wait time if you buy it from them is very long and perhaps the price. But there are a lot of sites that stock them.

Ed

VA_Dinger
10-18-15, 20:40
I have three Glock's with Wilson Combat Glock barrels; G19, G17, and a G34. All three showed impressive accuracy improvements, especially the G17. Its now one of the most accurate handguns I own.

Heavy Metal
10-18-15, 20:42
Paul, I just ordered one to put in a used NYPD trade-in Gen 2 G-19 I got. I am Vickerizing it and re-habing it to make it my EDC since it is already uglyfied and I don't have to ever worry about the appearance.

What did you have to do to fit them?

VA_Dinger
10-18-15, 20:47
Paul, I just ordered one to put in a used NYPD trade-in Gen 2 G-19 I got. I am Vickerizing it and re-habing it to make it my EDC since it is already uglyfied and I don't have to ever worry about the appearance.

What did you have to do to fit them?

I had a local gunsmith I trust install mine. All three needed hand fitting. I had a few malfunctions in the first 50 or so rounds but after that they settled down and are boringly reliable Glock's like any other.

Heavy Metal
10-18-15, 20:58
I am going to try the Dykem and File route and fit my own, going slow and carefully. My gunsmith would have the thing till next April.

Heavy Metal
10-22-15, 16:50
Go figure, mine dropped in.

The used Gen 2 G-19 I got looked high round count so that might have made a difference.

click boom
10-28-15, 17:24
Most humans are far less accurate than OEM glock barrels. Indian > Arrow

Watrdawg
10-29-15, 07:51
I had a local gunsmith I trust install mine. All three needed hand fitting. I had a few malfunctions in the first 50 or so rounds but after that they settled down and are boringly reliable Glock's like any other.

I must have gotten lucky with both of my Wilson barrels. They dropped right in my G17 and my G19. The G17 is a Gen3 version and the G19 is Gen4. Group sizes definitely decreased with both weapons.

BoxySatch
11-15-15, 09:15
I have a G19 Wilson barrel and a G19 Barsto Barrel. The wilson dropped in with no fitting while I had to fit the Barsto "semi fit". Barsto offers a video on how to fit the barrels.

Accuracy was notably improved in both barrels. The Wilson is less expensive than the Barsto.

I have an issue with both barrels with shooting my 9mm reloads. After about 50 - 100 rounds I have had cases get stuck in chamber on both barrels. I check all the reloads in a case gage to ensure reload sizing is in spec. It may be that the fouling of the powder gets the tight chamber tolerances stacked. I need to run factory ammo exclusively to cross check the barrel functionality. This would be the next step to trouble shoot the problem. Barsto has an article on their website on reloads and their tight chamber tolerances.

If you are LE supplied with factory practice ammo this may not be an issue for you.

mizer67
11-15-15, 10:17
I've put about 20K through a Jarvis that I had them fit and about 10K through a semi-drop in Barsto (dropped in and fit tight as a drum).

All were my reloads.

Never had an issue with either barrel. Both are more accurate than Gen 4 barrels. Cut groups in half roughly when they were new for 10 round groups.