PDA

View Full Version : SureFire G2 Question

TacDoc
10-03-06, 18:23
Gentlemen,

I have a G2 and I really like it. Next month I'll have a carbine class and I'll be shooting at dark for the first time. My question is if the G2 will be suitable for use as a weapon light?

Is the shock bezel designed for this model really necesary?

What recommendations you have for a pressure tape switch? I think I read somewhere the Pentagon Light tape switch fits the SurerFire G2, which switch model?

Thank you in advance for your knowledge and time :)

Neeglik
10-06-06, 15:53
The below link is a thread on the 6P model, but it's the same light just with a metal body.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=434

FWIW, I love the G2 for a .223 weaponlight. For the money, I don't think you can beat it (6P is great too).

C4IGrant
10-06-06, 16:56
The G2 is NOT a weaponlight and would suggest getting a Z32 Shock bezel. The PL tape switches will work, but are kind of pricey. I sell a $20 tape switch that works pretty well with the G2.

Remember to take a spare bulb and extra batts to your class!

C4

ST911
10-07-06, 15:02
Gentlemen, I have a G2 and I really like it. Next month I'll have a carbine class and I'll be shooting at dark for the first time. My question is if the G2 will be suitable for use as a weapon light?

They're a serviceable, economy option, with a few more quirks than the purpose-builts. I've run 6Ps and G2s for several years, and have them on several agency carbines. (PCCs or 5.56)

NOT suitable on the shotgun.

Is the shock bezel designed for this model really necesary?

Not a necessity, but it wouldn't hurt, either.

meateater
10-11-06, 19:34
They're a serviceable, economy option, with a few more quirks than the purpose-builts. I've run 6Ps and G2s for several years, and have them on several agency carbines. (PCCs or 5.56)

NOT suitable on the shotgun.

Not a necessity, but it wouldn't hurt, either.

i run a regular ol' 6p on my tube, so far no probs whatsoever.
i run a classic 9p on my mrp4gery, it has survived over 10k rounds. still the original bulb.:D

dialM4murder
02-14-08, 18:27
what about the new led G2s. Id assume the led technology would negate any need for shock suppression. Grant, is the tape switch on your site?

Jerm
02-14-08, 19:01
i have a G3 LED on my LMT.

havent even shot it yet with the light mounted,but ive used the light for various other things(i have a QD mount).im only on my third set of batteries but its taken some pretty bad knocks/drops/etc already...still going strong.

C4IGrant
02-15-08, 08:36
what about the new led G2s. Id assume the led technology would negate any need for shock suppression. Grant, is the tape switch on your site?

LED's do not need a shock bezel.

I have not been able to find any good quality tape switches for some time (in the $20-$40 range).

C4

MX5
02-15-08, 08:45
The G2 is really not a weapon light as the head is not shock isolated. However, many run the G2, 6P & others as weapon lights with good results. Just carry spare bulbs & batteries just in case. Recoil with a 5.56mm carbine usually doesn't cause problems with (2) 123 batteries in a 6v light. However, running (3) 123 batteries in some of the larger 9v lights that aren't shock isolated, creates enough battery momentum that bulbs sometimes don't last more than a few rounds. Shock isolated is the best solution, but running a 6v light with (2) batteries will likely serve you well for a long time. I've been running 6 of them myself for many years - some G2 & some 6P. LED shouldn't be a problem, but I prefer the light of an incandescent.

Joe Mamma
02-15-08, 14:14
I don't have any first hand experience with a 6P LED or G2 LED. But, most LEDs will produce a lot of glare with gunsmoke. I prefer Incandescents because they don't. Think of how fog lights on many cars are yellow. From what I've seen, LED's are more white, and incadescents are more yellow.

I use a G2 (non-LED) with a shock isolated bezel and Daniel Defense mount on my AR's. I'm happy with the setup but in retrospect, I'd probably pass on the shock isolated bezel. I don't think it's necessary.

Joe Mamma

decodeddiesel
04-30-08, 09:25
Sorry to bump an older thread but this is the closest I can get to my search...

Can anyone suggest a tape switch tail cap for a G2 that will fit in the TD grip or rail cover? My g/f is pretty taken with this type of setup so I am trying to replicate something like it. Thanks all!

Hawk777th
05-07-08, 13:28
The G2 is really not a weapon light as the head is not shock isolated. However, many run the G2, 6P & others as weapon lights with good results. Just carry spare bulbs & batteries just in case. Recoil with a 5.56mm carbine usually doesn't cause problems with (2) 123 batteries in a 6v light. However, running (3) 123 batteries in some of the larger 9v lights that aren't shock isolated, creates enough battery momentum that bulbs sometimes don't last more than a few rounds. Shock isolated is the best solution, but running a 6v light with (2) batteries will likely serve you well for a long time. I've been running 6 of them myself for many years - some G2 & some 6P. LED shouldn't be a problem, but I prefer the light of an incandescent.

Ive been looking at getting a 9p for a DD offset mount will that work ok or should I stick with 2cells like in the 6p?