PDA

View Full Version : Troy Fixed Rear Battle Sight Loose..

captdreifus
10-14-15, 04:20
I just got my sight from UPS. Upon trying to mount the sight on my upper receiver, it is loose and rattles when tightened down. My upper is in spec (BCM).

Most likely the sight is not in spec?

Thanks,
Capt

ETA: the movement is forward and aft. When tightening the screw, I applied forward pressure onto the sight.

GH41
10-14-15, 05:51
"Most likely the sight is not in spec"

Or possibly fake. Who did you buy it from?

themonk
10-14-15, 05:54
Did you contact Troy?

nolt
10-14-15, 06:01
Loosen it up, wiggle it a bit, and then tighten it back up without applying forward pressure. It's a one-piece-squeeze-tightening sight and it may settle and squeeze better if its not riding a tooth so hard.

If the gun has a hand guard with a pic rail on it then try mounting it on that to see if it wiggles there, or another upper if you've got one. Make sure there's not anything stuck in the groove of the sight that mates with the rail. You could try to mount other stuff (front sight if you dont have fsb?) to the receiver to see if they mate well but I agree it's more likely the sight or how its mounted than the receiver. It's definitely easier to swap out. You could always measure the gaps in the rail of the receiver if you've got calipers....

Otherwise I'd call troy or where-ever you bought it to swap it out.

(all that is assuming the sight is legit, and fwiw I prefer the DD fixed rear as a perceive it to be more robust whether it actually is or isnt)

captdreifus
10-14-15, 06:24
I bought the sight from primary arms. I'll try to mount it on a larue rail I have in a moment.

Tbat
10-14-15, 10:15
Try what Nolt said, push it forward but just apply enough pressure to keep it in place while tightening, don't keep pushing. I have a Troy fixed rear sight and it mounted just fine initially on one AR that I have, however when I switched it to another AR it had the movement you describe. I tightened it until I thought it was tight but it still had some movement, so I made sure that the screwdriver had a good purchase and tightened a bit more and it has stayed put just fine after several hundred rounds.