PDA

View Full Version : IL ban question

moonshot
10-14-15, 21:56
I've been reading the thread on the SC possibly taking the case of the AW ban in Highland Park, IL, and it caused me to ask some questions I should have asked a long time ago, as I travel to Illinois on a semi-regular basis via car. Sometimes I am going thru the state, sometimes I need to stop for the day, and sometimes I spend the night.

I may be in downstate IL, or I may be in suburban Cook County, or I may be in the City of Chicago. Recently, I had reason to be in Highland Park.

Since the thread on the SC mentioned Highland Park specifically with their ban on high cap magazines and some semi-automatic weapons, I have looked on-line for the gun laws in IL, but they are written in legalese, and I find them less than illuminating. The way the statute is written, it could be interpreted to ban any semi-auto that can accept a magazine holding more than 10 rounds. I don't think that was the intent, but this is Illinois, and driving with out-of-state plates already makes me a target to be pulled over.

Can I travel through these areas, perhaps stopping to spend the day (shopping with friends, or on business) and leave my G26 in the car (unloaded, locked and packed in the trunk)? Can I have loaded G19 mags for this gun, or should I limit myself to 10 round G26 mags? Should I leave my Glock and my mags at home and just have my revolver? What about the 30-round PMAGS I have in my car kit? Even if I leave my AR at home (and I always do), the kit is frequently in my car.

I travel to Illinois as seldom as possible, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. Any advise will be appreciated.

ralph
10-15-15, 06:26
I'd get the P-mags out of the car asap, I'd go with 10 rnd mags, or the wheel gun. All it takes is for a IL cop to interpret the laws his way, and you're going to jail. As much as I hate to say it, you may be better off not carrying anything while you're there. Hopefully someone who better understands IL's laws will be along and can give you better advice.

Alex V
10-15-15, 06:29
If their Ban is anything like NJ then simply having a magazine which can accept more than 10 rounds (15 in NJ) is a crime even if you do not have the weapon that it belongs too.