PDA

View Full Version : Saudi wants Black Hawks

Slater
10-14-15, 22:00
I realize that military aircraft aren't cheap these days, but it's still amazing that nine helicopters and their support equipment can cost almost half a billion dollars:

http://www.dsca.mil/sites/default/files/mas/saudi_arabia_15-66_0.pdf

Eurodriver
10-14-15, 22:28
The CMWS alone cost in excess of $2,000,000.

Each.

Gone are the days of a huey, a guy with some sunglasses, and an M60 in the door ;)

GotAmmo
10-14-15, 22:32
Must be why they were in Colorado touring my AVN Brigade last month

SeriousStudent
10-14-15, 22:33

Each.

Gone are the days of a huey, a guy with some sunglasses, and an M60 in the door ;)

I miss those days.

Oh wait, I really don't.

Firefly
10-14-15, 22:47
Like Iran and F-14s......

Mmmm hmmm

Moose-Knuckle
10-15-15, 01:59
A half of a billion dollars to the House of Saud is nothing.

GH41
10-15-15, 05:41
A half of a billion dollars to the House of Saud is nothing.

They wouldn't bend down to pick it up if it fell out of their pocket!!

TAZ
10-15-15, 07:48
Should have tacked on depreciation for GW1 and GW2.

When I was a young man, getting a flight physical @ Randolph AFB there was a contingent of Saudi pilots getting spun up on something. Bunch of arrogant assholes.

nova3930
10-15-15, 09:27

Each.

Yep. I'm a little surprised they're giving them AAR-57. I thought that was considered close hold tech.

There's also this item

air worthiness support

That's what I do and I know we don't come cheap. Far too many people around here with their finger in the pie that really aren't airworthiness.

All the rest of that training and tech support costs a lot too.

ETA

Implementation of this sale will require an estimated forty (40) to sixty (60) U.S. Government and contractor representatives to travel to Saudi Arabia for up to sixty (60) months for equipment de-processing, fielding, system checkout, training, and technical logistics support.

Yeah, 40-60 man-years of support is a BIG chunk of that cost. Glad it damn well won't be me going over to that shithole.

chuckman
10-15-15, 12:40
When I was a young man, getting a flight physical @ Randolph AFB there was a contingent of Saudi pilots getting spun up on something. Bunch of arrogant assholes.

A few years ago we had a prominent member of a prominent Saudi family as a patient. The doc here was a woman. The family would always come to me for the information, which pissed off the doc. Part of their assholiness is cultural, part of it is just being Saudi. Jordanians? The exact opposite.

It seems to me the Blackhawk is going to be the modern version of the Huey and everyone will have some. Am I wrong? (edited to add, I really don't know much about them other than haven been in the back from point 'A' to point 'B').

caporider
10-15-15, 15:10
Japan's requirement for 17 MV-22s will run about $3 billion. Yeah, there is a shit-ton of spares, engines, contractor support, etc in there, but good God...