PDA

View Full Version : Unthreaded barrel - Leave it or have it threaded?

Don Nguyen
10-15-15, 00:13
I currently have a 20" DPMS barrel that is unthreaded. I am undecided between having it threaded (cost ~$30) or just leaving it as is.

Are there any benefits or pros to simply just leaving the barrel end as is and unthreaded? I think the technical term for how my barrel currently is that it has a target crown on the barrel currently.

Uprange41
10-15-15, 01:14
What do you use it for?

Don Nguyen
10-15-15, 01:15
What do you use it for?

I am not building it for a specific purpose/use right now.

Uprange41
10-15-15, 01:17
I am not building it for a specific purpose/use right now.

Then I'd say to just leave it as-is until something jumps out at you as being less than ideal.

Don Nguyen
10-15-15, 01:19
Then I'd say to just leave it as-is until something jumps out at you as being less than ideal.

That's possible. However, maybe there are some advantages to leaving it unthreaded, other than for the sake of simplicity, that may weigh into the factor of decision to have it threaded or not threaded later on as well.

556BlackRifle
10-15-15, 01:24
What is the contour of the barrel? Does it have a recessed target crown?

Don Nguyen
10-15-15, 01:33
What is the contour of the barrel? Does it have a recessed target crown?

Target crown, similar to this picture:

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-65Creedmoor/DSC09504.JPG

Uprange41
10-15-15, 02:23
That's possible. However, maybe there are some advantages to leaving it unthreaded, other than for the sake of simplicity, that may weigh into the factor of decision to have it threaded or not threaded later on as well.

Obvious benefits of a muzzle device aside, the only real thing you're missing out on is crown protection. Not much of a deal on a bench gun, but for a competition or field precision rifle, it could be a big deal.

That being said, you can read here on M4C about the positive and negative effects of threading, muzzle devices, and muzzle device torque on accuracy. It might be worth digging around here if you're going for ultimate accuracy.

GH41
10-15-15, 05:10
Where do you get a barrel threaded for thirty bucks??

BillBond
10-15-15, 07:16
I would get it threaded since I like various flash suppressors.

Colt guy
10-15-15, 07:36

I would like to know also.

Ryno12
10-15-15, 07:50

I would like to know also.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/services.shtml