PDA

View Full Version : Heavy rounds for actual use... what about training?

Bluto
10-15-15, 09:19
For those that use heavier rounds such as 75gr TAP or 77gr CBC OTM, what do you use for training/plinking?

These rounds aren't cheap, so what do you use to retain similar balistics without breaking the bank?

BillBond
10-15-15, 09:27
That is a good question.
I do about 1/3 the training with the expensive stuff and the rest with 62 grain cheap stuff.

ST911
10-15-15, 10:35
Get your zero, check it periodically, verify function with your defensive ammo. After that, there's not much lost in using an alternative practice load for non-precision close(r) work. Also, have an honest conversation with yourself. Are you of sufficient ability that the differences in POI will even matter? Obsessing over tenths of an inch on a trajectory calculator? Etc.

Guilty
10-15-15, 11:12
I reload using Sierra and/or Nosler 77 gr bullets for nearly the same cost as retail 55gr ammunition. This is how I make it affordable for me to shoot the 5.56 heavies.

the_accuser
10-15-15, 12:23
I reload using Sierra and/or Nosler 77 gr bullets for nearly the same cost as retail 55gr ammunition. This is how I make it affordable for me to shoot the 5.56 heavies.

Same here. I used to reload all weights and types of .223 bullets and settled on just loading the 77 SMK. I buy in bulk and makes it very affordable.

markm
10-15-15, 21:37
We run 62 gr FMJs... some SS109s.. and we used to run the 75 gr PRVI bullets from Wideners when they were available. But really, we just buy Nosler CC 77s in bulk and shoot them for everything outside of 100 yards. For short range blasting, any cheap 55 gr bullet that will go through the barrel is fine. Zero shift is insignificant for that stuff.

2ac
10-17-15, 10:17
I also have found that the Nosler CC 77s to be the same price as or cheaper than most when bought in bulk. So I just stick to these..

ggammell
10-17-15, 11:05
i wondered about this a while back and put the values into a ballistic calculator and realized that the trajectory was so close it didn't matter.

I do prefer same weight on handgun ammo. As I understand it, the heavier rounds have more chamber pressure which correlates to felt recoil. So I stick with 180 and 147. I have found that I end up with better accuracy results on the heavier rounds as well so that pushes me in the direction. (115 and 147 have vastly different results in my Kahr). And 180 is about the easiest to find .40 anyway.

Colt guy
10-17-15, 11:29
I reload almost 100% of my ammo, and I use 55gr FMJ from Hornady for practice. I do not see enough of a difference at under 100 yds to shoot the more expensive loads.

sevenhelmet
10-17-15, 13:27
I use 62 grain M855 for plinking. It was cheap a while back so I have a bunch more than I need right now. I only use the 77gr for zeroing and >200m. But my God, is it accurate in comparison.

markm
10-17-15, 19:31
I only use the 77gr for zeroing and >200m. But my God, is it accurate in comparison.

It gets to be tough to run inaccurate ammo after you run 77s for a while.

opngrnd
10-17-15, 20:25
I use Hornady 55 FMJs for running and gunning. But I've started moving towards the heavier stuff for everything else. I've been doing a lot of shooting around 300 and 400 yards this year, and it makes a difference. I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually quit buying 55gr bullets when I have enough 77gr ones.

Leuthas
10-17-15, 20:49
Most classes or matches I run with a heavy carbine, and the .308 can get very pricey to the point a point where I've simply devolved to using the cheapest brass I can find. That usually ends up being cheap 147gr ammunition.

The differences in POI are noticeable but do not outweigh the advantage of what is often significantly cheaper ammo. As has already been noted.

markm
10-17-15, 22:00
Most classes or matches I run with a heavy carbine, and the .308 can get very pricey to the point a point where I've simply devolved to using the cheapest brass I can find. That usually ends up being cheap 147gr ammunition.

The differences in POI are noticeable but do not outweigh the advantage of what is often significantly cheaper ammo. As has already been noted.

For shorter ranges and volume shooting, it'd be a waste to shoot expensive 175 smk. But when you go out to 500, 1000, and even farther, it's night and day.

Molon
10-18-15, 12:41
i wondered about this a while back and put the values into a ballistic calculator and realized that the trajectory was so close it didn't matter.

Exterior ballistic calculators will tell you nothing about the differences in the points of impact between two different loads fired from the same rifle that are due to interior ballistic factors such as recoil vectors and barrel harmonics.

The graph below shows that there is no discernable difference in the trajectories of the Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing and the Hornady 70 grain GMX out to 100 yards.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/wfz8ardmy4my99lsc1z216sx3gpjgots.jpg

Yet, when I actually fired the Hornady 70 grain GMX load from an AR-15 that had been zeroed for POA=POI at 100 yards with the 55 grain BlitzKings, the group of the 70 grain GMX impacted 2.9” LOW and 3.7” TO THE LEFT of the point of aim.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/cfxabh80d52ocshn43lro5zur1m799p6.jpg

….

markm
10-18-15, 15:05
Good point. Different barrels can do very different things with a bullet change.

Failure2Stop
10-19-15, 08:13
Exterior ballistic calculators will tell you nothing about the differences in the points of impact between two different loads fired from the same rifle that are due to interior ballistic factors such as recoil vectors and barrel harmonics.

The graph below shows that there is no discernable difference in the trajectories of the Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing and the Hornady 70 grain GMX out to 100 yards.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/wfz8ardmy4my99lsc1z216sx3gpjgots.jpg

Yet, when I actually fired the Hornady 70 grain GMX load from an AR-15 that had been zeroed for POA=POI at 100 yards with the 55 grain BlitzKings, the group of the 70 grain GMX impacted 2.9” LOW and 3.7” TO THE LEFT of the point of aim.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/cfxabh80d52ocshn43lro5zur1m799p6.jpg

….

Yuppers

There is a reason that you can't just zero with a given ammunition type and have everything else just work out.

Now, that said, I generally shoot precision ammo at distances past 50 meters, or on stages that have a lot of tight shots at 25-50. Inside 25, the hold-over of my ammunition combination is close enough to do what I need it to do.

I compare POI between different precision and blaster ammo types and try to keep the combo that is the most similar out to 100. I don't worry about it past that.

Dist. Expert 26
10-20-15, 11:37
I reload cheap 55gr in cheap brass for drills at <100m since I'm really not concerned with my group size being sub MOA. For anything beyond that I load 77gr to tighten the groups up.