PDA

View Full Version : Saw a real life taser incident yesterday

Sam
10-15-15, 09:31
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/20151014_183216.jpeg

Location: US highway 41 aka Cobb Parkway, southbound just north of the Interstate 285 intersection. On the left is Galleria Mall (site of the annual Blade show), on the left is Cumberland Mall. To my left is where the new Atlanta Braves stadium is being constructed.

Time: 6:30PM, October 14.

I was going home from work and stopped at the red light, noticed that traffic ahead was not moving even on green. Saw the blue light of one police car (initially) and some people out on foot about 100 yards away from me. One started running then I picked up the two officers chasing the runner. The runner was fast as a jack rabbit. He had at least 10 yards lead ahead of the police, they were running away from my location. I thought the officers would never catch the rabbit, then in full pursuit one officer deployed his taser ! The rabbit dropped like a rock, face planted on Cobb Parkway asphalt, boom. The two officers were on him and cuffed him before he knew it. They walked him back to the squad car as the cavalry started to arrive. By the time I was moving and even with their location, 5 other squads arrived.

There had been lots of car break ins and robberies at the two malls recently. Wondered if the rabbit was the suspect.

chuckman
10-15-15, 11:20
I have seen more than my fair share (as a paramedic and ED nurse). When I was a medic on a tac team we had the option to get qual'd for using them and as I recall part of the qual is being tasered. I declined; I did get the OC spray qual, which was bad enough.

I had a coworker in the ED, another male nurse, who accidentally found himself between a cop and a very large, very violent pysch patient, as the cop started to taze the patient. My buddy got nailed instead. Harilty ensued.

Vandal
10-15-15, 11:46
I've been Tased as part of my training, I even have the video on my laptop. I'll take it over OC any day. The first time I saw it deployed in the field was on a crazy lady off her meds. It actually caused me to pause for a second seeing someone who was that nuts, screaming and making threats with a shovel just drop when the probes hit.

I'm a firm believer in the Taser. It gives a great tool for stopping most people. I've also seen it not slow down some guys, then the fight kicked off.

Sam
10-15-15, 12:17
. It actually caused me to pause for a second seeing someone who was that nuts, screaming and making threats with a shovel just drop when the probes hit.

It was literally like flipping a switch, one second the rabbit was running full speed, the next second he went straight down. The officer was a good shooter too, he was running at full speed behind the perp while he launched those darts.

chuckman
10-15-15, 12:22
I am a believer. You wanna fight? Come at me, bruh...you wanna pepper spray me? Doom on you. You wanna taze me? I would be the MOST compliant person you have ever seen.

Averageman
10-15-15, 12:29
I saw a recent video where some knuckleheads were tazed. They fell to the ground and rolled and thus the darts were removed or wires were broken and they popped back up like they had springs in their back pockets, still full of fight.
I dunno, maybe the bad guys have caught on?

PD Sgt.
10-15-15, 12:35
It was literally like flipping a switch, one second the rabbit was running full speed, the next second he went straight down. The officer was a good shooter too, he was running at full speed behind the perp while he launched those darts.

That is the hardest part. Most of the running deployments I have witnessed or been called to were unsuccessful. First, there is the inherent difficulty in hitting a moving target while you are moving as well. If they do hit, it is often only with one probe, and it is usually to the body. The legs are the hardest to hit when running. The biggest failure I have noted though is range estimation. The officers often seem to feel closer than they really are, and the deployment falls short.

However, when properly executed, it is usually a show stopper.

Grizzly16
10-15-15, 15:01
I saw a recent video where some knuckleheads were tazed. They fell to the ground and rolled and thus the darts were removed or wires were broken and they popped back up like they had springs in their back pockets, still full of fight.
I dunno, maybe the bad guys have caught on?
As long as one dart was in you can use the front of the taser to complete the circuit again. And if both are out the shock from the tips on the front of the taser still don't feel great.

On top of that a lot of guys around here have moved to the X2 that has two cartridges so you can shoot them again if the first wires break.

dwhitehorne
10-15-15, 15:49
The taser is one of the greatest tools in law enforcment. It just sucks that the tasers and the support equipment cost so much. DAvid

Outlander Systems
10-15-15, 17:58
Cumberland, dawg.

I have a story about an "encounter" I had there. Matter of fact, I've had several encounters there...I'll never forget the female hitchhiker, who wanted a ride on my motorcycle during a torrential downpour.

The Hypnotik flows freely there...

Sam
10-15-15, 21:09
Cumberland, dawg.

I have a story about an "encounter" I had there. Matter of fact, I've had several encounters there...I'll never forget the female hitchhiker, who wanted a ride on my motorcycle during a torrential downpour.

The Hypnotik flows freely there...

Cumberland is known as the ghetto mall. LOL.

Lots of gangs in that area, recently there have been dozens of car break in, muggings and woman shot in the parking lot of Akers Mill shopping center. And then there was the idiot husband/father who left his kid to die in a hot car two summers ago while he was sexting a 16 year old.

Den of wretched scums and villainy !