PDA

View Full Version : Community/local forum?

28_days
08-01-08, 01:54
I'm still relatively new, but I'm curious if the idea of a community and/or local forum has been brought up before.

I think users would find it very valuable. In my case this will be my first AR , thus I'd love to meet some local members to get off on the right foot so to speak.

Has there been any talk of creating such a forum? Pros or cons?

Thanks! :D

Nathan_Bell
08-01-08, 09:29
I'm still relatively new, but I'm curious if the idea of a community and/or local forum has been brought up before.

I think users would find it very valuable. In my case this will be my first AR , thus I'd love to meet some local members to get off on the right foot so to speak.

Has there been any talk of creating such a forum? Pros or cons?

Thanks! :D

Might be out of my lane, but...

A lot of members on the board prefer to keep the subforums to a minimum in order to keep the M4C community a bit more close knit, as opposed to the "M4C/<your state>/<your county>/Local forum" board member.

ToddG
08-01-08, 09:37
A lot of members on the board prefer to keep the subforums to a minimum in order to keep the M4C community a bit more close knit, as opposed to the "M4C/<your state>/<your county>/Local forum" board member.

QFT
(the message I have entered is too short)

28_days
08-01-08, 12:57
Understandable. But there's nothing closer knit than being able to meet up with other local members.

Perfect example: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17503

Something like that sounds great. Will it come to fruition? Maybe. If any meets do occur it mainly be because of prior acquaintances, or pure luck (geographically speaking).

Though I can understand where you're coming from, I think it's a terrible oversight for the community.

Just my two cents.

LOKNLOD
08-01-08, 13:10
Perhaps a single "Local Training" subforum where people could post up a thread saying "I Live near XXXX and would like to get together for some training and drills".

If a rule was set and people followed it (yeah, I realize I'm dreaming), then if everyone used full state names in the titles of their threads it would be pretty easy to search thread titles in that subforum for, say, "Oklahoma" and find any threads started for training in Oklahoma. Abbreviations would screw it up fast, since the minimum search string is >3 letters. It might take a bit of moderation to get it off the ground and keep the thread titles useful. We could make it work though.

Just a thought.

ETA: I agree that separate forums is unnecessary and tends to get "cliquey".

28_days
08-02-08, 12:08
Perhaps a single "Local Training" subforum where people could post up a thread saying "I Live near XXXX and would like to get together for some training and drills".

If a rule was set and people followed it (yeah, I realize I'm dreaming), then if everyone used full state names in the titles of their threads it would be pretty easy to search thread titles in that subforum for, say, "Oklahoma" and find any threads started for training in Oklahoma. Abbreviations would screw it up fast, since the minimum search string is >3 letters. It might take a bit of moderation to get it off the ground and keep the thread titles useful. We could make it work though.

Just a thought.

ETA: I agree that separate forums is unnecessary and tends to get "cliquey".

Yes that would work as well. If everyone followed a similiar theme it'd be super easy to search through.

E.G. - "MINNESOTA - Looking for training partners" or "MIDWEST - Regional event"

Jay Cunningham
08-02-08, 12:28
I encourage everyone with no particular OPSEC/PERSEC requirements to please fill out their profiles in as complete a fashion as you can.

:)