PDA

View Full Version : Nose-To-CH 1-4 Scope Mount Recommendation

Outlander Systems
10-17-15, 14:37
So, much as it pains me to admit, I can't use RDS anymore. My Reflex reticle has officially turned into a grape-cluster in my eyeball.

I noticed it had been getting bad last year when I used it on a crossbow for hunting season.

So, long and short, I went to two gun shops, and an outdoors store, literally looking through just about every optic on the market. EOTech, big fuzzy blob. Aimpoint comet. New-school RX34 grapes again. ACOG reticles were slightly fuzzy, and BDC was unreadable. Even the AccuPoint was slightly fuzzy on the reticle.

The only optics that worked for me were the Burris MTAC, The Vortex Illuminated options, and a Leupold VX-R.

I ended up picking up a Viper PST 1-4, MOA. I never in a million years considered deviating from the big three, but I was out of options, and the Burris/Leupold/Vortex offerings were the only ones that cooperated with my vision.

Now I'm trying to pick a QD mount for this thing:

Bobro
ADM
Larue

Since, unlike scopes, I can't go lay hands and try before I buy.

I run my stock fully collapsed, and shoot with my nose on the charging handle.

I want as much weight at the rear of the weapon, but I don't want to have issues with eye relief.

Help a brother out.

ETA: I've run an Accupoint briefly, but I wasn't crazy about the reticle and slithered back to RDS. My experience with LPVs is EXTREMELY limited.

El Cid
10-17-15, 15:20
I can only comment on the ADM as I haven't used the others. This is the Recon X - love it! I also shoot nose to charging handle.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/MCSPRwGlass4.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/photo_zpsf099c359.png

10-17-15, 15:59
I have come to the conclusion, at least in my opinion which means jack, that Bobro is the premier mount manufacturer in the industry. I have 34mm dual lever mounts w/0 cant and one with 20 MOA. Have two T-2 Bobro mounts, and one dual lever 30mm mount.

I have LaRue mounts, KAC mounts, and GG&G. Bobro is what use.

GH41
10-17-15, 16:19
If the Recon X doesn't work you are going to have to open the stock up a notch. 3.6" bell length, 4" eye relief, nose to CH and fully collapsed stock = challenge.

Outlander Systems
10-17-15, 18:30
Roger that.

I've had good luck with the ADM stuff in the past.

My issue with the ADM mounts is that there are so many options it had my head spinning. The Recon X might be the ticket.

I can only comment on the ADM as I haven't used the others. This is the Recon X - love it! I also shoot nose to charging handle.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/MCSPRwGlass4.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/photo_zpsf099c359.png

I've never used any Larue optic mounts, but ADM and Bobro have served me very well in the past. I have no complaints at all with either of the conpanies, or their offerings. Bobro does have, what I feel, to be the best mousetrap on the market.

I have come to the conclusion, at least in my opinion which means jack, that Bobro is the premier mount manufacturer in the industry. I have 34mm dual lever mounts w/0 cant and one with 20 MOA. Have two T-2 Bobro mounts, and one dual lever 30mm mount.

I have LaRue mounts, KAC mounts, and GG&G. Bobro is what use.

P.S.

Cid, your smokewagon looks wicked.

Big challenge. I ran a TR-24 a while back and had it riding farther forward than I would have preferred. I'm fairly confident the mount was not cantilevered...

If the Recon X doesn't work you are going to have to open the stock up a notch. 3.6" bell length, 4" eye relief, nose to CH and fully collapsed stock = challenge.

wigbones
10-17-15, 19:58
I run the vortex 1-4x in an ADM recon extended mount. Works great for me and I run ADM mounts on all my Aimpoints as well.

Singlestack Wonder
10-17-15, 22:17
+1 on the ADM Recon-x

HCrum87hc
10-19-15, 13:15
I have an ADM Scout-X on my 1-6. It's been bulletproof so far. You can't go wrong with Bobro either.

Caeser25
10-24-15, 08:05
I have my Vortex PST 1-4 in a regular ADM scout. I shoot NTCH. The PST has 4" of eye relief and one of the largest eye boxes in the 1-4, 1-6 game due to a larger exit pupil.

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=156

This is just my opinion, but I just can't see anyone needing this specific optic in the recon x or scout x. EDIT: "I just saw you said you run your stock fully collapsed. In that case you might need an extended. I run my stock on the 2nd notch but still shoot NTCH.

As far as comparing Bobro, Larue and ADM. Again, this is just my opinion, my preferred choice is ADM. ADM does the same thing as Larue at a lower price point and I'm pretty sure they're a bit lighter. I don't like all that mount hanging off the left side of the rifle on the Bobro. They're all solid mounts so you can't go wrong with any of them though.

Outlander Systems
10-24-15, 09:24
Helluva write up!

I spent hours in several stores going through everything they had. For a General/Purpose optic, this was the winner for my aging eyes.

I found a Vortex-branded ADM mount with 3" of eye relief. Problem is, Vortex stopped making them.

I have my Vortex PST 1-4 in a regular ADM scout. I shoot NTCH. The PST has 4" of eye relief and one of the largest eye boxes in the 1-4, 1-6 game due to a larger exit pupil.

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=156

This is just my opinion, but I just can't see anyone needing this specific optic in the recon x or scout x. EDIT: "I just saw you said you run your stock fully collapsed. In that case you might need an extended. I run my stock on the 2nd notch but still shoot NTCH.

As far as comparing Bobro, Larue and ADM. Again, this is just my opinion, my preferred choice is ADM. ADM does the same thing as Larue at a lower price point and I'm pretty sure they're a bit lighter. I don't like all that mount hanging off the left side of the rifle on the Bobro. They're all solid mounts so you can't go wrong with any of them though.

RioGrandeGreen
11-23-15, 14:36
Guys,
I just got a ADM Recon x mount/ Vortex Strikeagle 1x6 combo from ADM. What folding buis are you running?

Digital_Damage
11-23-15, 15:10
I would have given the Leupold prismatic a chance before going full tube.

If I remember the 1-4 has some ungodly eye relief like a full 4 inches.

Bobro B03-202-300 I think is the one that will have the best chance of working.

Edit: Just saw the original post date... holy necro thread.

Outlander Systems
11-23-15, 15:20
I ended up getting the ADM with 3" offset.

I am running Troy BUIS.

Guys,
I just got a ADM Recon x mount/ Vortex Strikeagle 1x6 combo from ADM. What folding buis are you running?

RioGrandeGreen
11-23-15, 16:20
Thanks, Outlander

RGGreen

Outlander Systems
11-23-15, 16:46
No problem, mah brotha.

Thanks, Outlander

RGGreen

Roger that. I will peep those for my next build. I want a lightweight, CQC smokewagon, and that Leupy might be complimentary to the build intent.

I would have given the Leupold prismatic a chance before going full tube.

If I remember the 1-4 has some ungodly eye relief like a full 4 inches.

Bobro B03-202-300 I think is the one that will have the best chance of working.

Edit: Just saw the original post date... holy necro thread.