PDA

View Full Version : Difference between gen3 and gen4 for glock 19

vpetrell
10-19-15, 08:21
I'm new to glocks a bit and am in the market after selling my Springfield.

What is the difference between the generations, and is one superior to the other? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks,

VP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillBond
10-19-15, 08:28
The gen 4 is supposed to be improved.
4 different backstraps to adjust the grip, different recoil spring and mag release.
While I had both to compare side by side I sold the gen 4.

vpetrell
10-19-15, 09:05
The gen 4 is supposed to be improved.
4 different backstraps to adjust the grip, different recoil spring and mag release.
While I had both to compare side by side I sold the gen 4.

Is one gen preferred over the other?

BillBond
10-19-15, 09:08
Depends on you.
I prefer gen 3 but you really need to fondle both to see what fits your hand best.

The gen 4 had teething problems at first, but that has been sorted out.

HighDesert
10-19-15, 09:09
Not to be a dick, but have you tried the search function? Countless discussions on this.

Really boils down to your personal preference and how it feels in your hand.

I prefer the thinner more textured grip of the Gen 4 and it also comes with an extra mag and adjustable back straps. If you're lefty the mag release can be switch over.

A lot of the Glock purists felt in the beginning that the BTF issues were just a Gen 4 issue and they preached the superiority of the Gen 3. I think over time this has been debunked.

I don't see any reason other than if you are on a strict budget to get a Gen 3 nowadays. Gen 4 is the updated generation.

Oh and skip the .40 and stick w 9mm.

wigbones
10-19-15, 09:16
I've handled both and the smaller grip on the gen 4 fits my hand better than the gen 3. It's all preference. Get your hands on both before making a decision.

vpetrell
10-19-15, 09:18
Not to be a dick, but have you tried the search function? Countless discussions on this.

Really boils down to your personal preference and how it feels in your hand.

I prefer the thinner more textured grip of the Gen 4 and it also comes with an extra mag and adjustable back straps. If you're lefty the mag release can be switch over.

A lot of the Glock purists felt in the beginning that the BTF issues were just a Gen 4 issue and they preached the superiority of the Gen 3. I think over time this has been debunked.

I don't see any reason other than if you are on a strict budget to get a Gen 3 nowadays. Gen 4 is the updated generation.

Oh and skip the .40 and stick w 9mm.

I have not tried the search function. Will do that now. I may have to try the gen 4 based on the slimmer grip as I have some pins in my hand that limit what is comfortable.

Thanks for feedback

VP

gearedforacure
10-19-15, 11:03
I never liked shooting glocks until I shot a gen 4. The grip is great on the gen 4 and fits my hands way better than previous generations. It makes the gen 3 feel like the box the gen 4 came in. Most importantly though, is the upgraded recoil spring. The feel and shootability of the gen 4 is superb in every way.

The thing is, you are going to have a bunch of people tell you their opinion one way or the other, but what really matters is actually shooting them. Find a range or some buddies who have them and go shoot them side by side and form your own opinion. Its the only way to know for sure. The HK45 got some great reviews and I bought one without ever shooting it. Once I got it, I was all over the place with it. Some guy's opinion really isnt that important when you find what works for you.

BlackOps
10-19-15, 14:30
i like the gen 3's. combat proven and work flawlessly

DirectTo
10-19-15, 14:45
It's all preference. Get your hands on both before making a decision.
This guy nailed it.

They're both Glocks and boringly reliable. They share some parts, others they don't. Things you might want (night sights/mags) are identical between them.

Don't let our opinions lead you...hold (preferably shoot) both and pick which one YOU like the best.

AKDoug
10-19-15, 17:38
My Gen 4 has been every bit as reliable as my Gen3. Both are in the 6K round range now. Neither have had a single issue. For me, the Gen 4 fits my hand better and the mag release is bigger. If my daughter didn't enjoy shooting the Gen 3 it would be down the road already.

ucrt
10-19-15, 19:34

I don't know if it still applies but at a Glock armorers class a few years ago the instructor said to inspect Gen 3's every 5k rounds and 2500 on the Gen 4's. Large recoil springs had thinner metal under slide nose that could crack.
But that was a few years ago...?

ST911
10-19-15, 19:42
. I don't know if it still applies but at a Glock armorers class a few years ago the instructor said to inspect Gen 3's every 5k rounds and 2500 on the Gen 4's. Large recoil springs had thinner metal under slide nose that could crack.
But that was a few years ago...? .

AAR from a Glock AC: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?126861-AAR-Glock-Armorer-Course-(03-2013)

Inspect guns annually, and as otherwise needed. Replace gen4 RSAs at 5k, gen3 at 2500.

MStarmer
10-19-15, 20:49
Glock is a Glock. But that being said I can't seem to shoot Gen 4's nearly as well as Gen 3? In my mind, in the minute difference in grip, don't know. I can drive tacks with my Gen 3 G27, my Gen 4 G23 is up for sale. Get what fits you best or you can get the best deal on. For me it's a Gen SIG P320c... :)

titsonritz
10-19-15, 21:41
The 4th gen has a polymid texture, the 3rd has the older checkering.

The 4th gen has a larger reversible mag release, the 3rd does not.

The 4th gen has the new dual recoil guide rod, the 3rd has the older single spring polymer guide rod resulting in a difference in the muzzle end of the slide to accommodate the two different guide rods.

The front cut out at the mag well is gone on the 4th gen.

The magazine bodies are notched different to accommodate the reversible mag release.

There are also several interior changes, such as a deeper, wider dust cover opening to accommodate the new guide rod and "r" shaped 3rd gen mag spring notch vs. "v" shaped 4rd gen mag spring notch to accommodate the new reversible mag release.

I have a PDF file breaking down the various little "who gives a rip" changes between the 3rd and 4th generation, if you are interested PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of it.

sparky-kb
10-20-15, 00:06
The improved grip texture and beavertail back straps put the Gen 4 head and shoulders above the Gen 3's for me. I hated how slick the Gen 3's got with sweaty hands during the summer and I got slide bite with them due to large hands and a high grip. Gen 4 solved my two biggest gripes.