PDA

View Full Version : Red dot Magnifier

Cpmiller22
10-19-15, 10:14
Hi all-

My custom built AR is working very nicely and I've attached a picture as well so you can take a look. Since I had never owned a red dot before I bought a lower budget red-dot at the last gun show I went to. I also have magpul backup sights on it as well. It's actually working pretty well and I can keep a pretty tight grouping at 50 yards. I was reading a bit about red dot magnifiers and was intrigued as I'd like to be able to shoot 200-300 yards with my AR but would like to stay configured so I can still have quick acquisition capability at close range. I've seen some red dot magnifiers that can flip in and out, and are detachable which looks pretty cool. Can anyone provide me with some thoughts and/or recommendations on adding this to my rifle?

Thanks!

Ryno12
10-19-15, 10:25
Not sure if it'll fit in your budget but I prefer the Eotech G33 magnifiers.

Also, not sure if it'll fit between your RDS & rear BUIS. You may want to move everything back, take your RDS off the gap and put the BUIS in furthest position.
Personally, I would opt for a better RDS before getting a magnifier.

This should also be in the Optics & Mounts subforum.

cwgibson
10-19-15, 10:38
Not sure if it'll fit in your budget but I prefer the Eotech G33 magnifiers.

Also, not sure if it'll fit between your RDS & rear BUIS. You may want to move everything back, take your RDS off the gap and put the BUIS in furthest position.
Personally, I would opt for a better RDS before getting a magnifier.

This should also be in the Optics & Mounts subforum.

I will second this, move the red dot back as well as your BUIS. I would get a T-1 or other Aimpoint before I got a magnifier. If you just want a magnifier for range use look at the Vortex as they are much cheaper than the Eotech or Aimpoint versions. You could also look at 1-4 optics as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

themonk
10-19-15, 10:41
I will second this, move the red dot back as well as your BUIS. I would get a T-1 or other Aimpoint before I got a magnifier. If you just want a magnifier for range use look at the Vortex as they are much cheaper than the Eotech or Aimpoint versions. You could also look at 1-4 optics as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

^^This^^

I would save up for a decent red dot before I got a magnifier.

Cpmiller22
10-19-15, 10:44
Thanks for the thoughts, and sorry for posting in the wrong sub forum. I've been thinking about buying an Eotech, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Perhaps I'll do that and then get a vortex magnifier so I can have a nice optics upgrade without spending $1000+. Any recommendations on which model would be a good entry level Eotech?

Ryno12
10-19-15, 10:47
Thanks for the thoughts, and sorry for posting in the wrong sub forum. I've been thinking about buying an Eotech, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Perhaps I'll do that and then get a vortex magnifier so I can have a nice optics upgrade without spending $1000+. Any recommendations on which model would be a good entry level Eotech?

The only EOTechs that I would buy are a (E)XPS series. The Aimpoint Pro or ACO would also be a good option if you're after less expensive options.

556BlackRifle
10-19-15, 12:11
It's usually cheaper to buy right the first time, and with optics, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. IMO you'd be ahead of the game by following the above advice and upgrade the primary optic then save up for the best 3X magnifier you can afford. In the past I've bought lower quality items but never being satisfied later upgraded to what I should've bought all along - which ended up costing me more.

And +1 on the Aimpoint PRO. High quality for a reasonable price. I'm running one on my HD weapon and I love it. I just leave it on 24/7 so it's ready to grab and go if needed.

Colt guy
10-19-15, 12:44
I picked up a cheaper red dot looks like the one you also have, first one broke and would not hold zero at all. Sent it back got another that has worked great.
but not on a AR but a Rem 597 rim fire. Gave to father in law he was having a time seeing the open sights on his Model 62.

It has worked great as a small game gun for a man in his upper 70s. rides behind the seat on a pickup gets very dusty but works fine.

On an AR get something better.

GH41
10-19-15, 14:38
The OP doesn't mention what he expects the rifle to do but everything's a compromise. If he needs a HD rifle and he shoots steel out to 2-300 yards for fun a quality RDS is all he needs. Sticking a magnifier on won't make it a target rifle. Remember... Everything is magnified including the dot. Yes I know it will make a potential target easier to identify but it won't make it any easier to hit. If he wants to extend his range and not give up much up close in he should at least look at a decent 1X4. A PRO, ADM mount and a cheap magnifier in a tip off mount will set him back $825. A Leupold VX-R Patrol, AP mount and set of offsets will cost him $25 more so it's a wash $$$ wise. I think he needs to decide what he wants to give up.

Korgs130
10-19-15, 16:19
It's usually cheaper to buy right the first time, and with optics, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. IMO you'd be ahead of the game by following the above advice and upgrade the primary optic then save up for the best 3X magnifier you can afford. In the past I've bought lower quality items but never being satisfied later upgraded to what I should've bought all along - which ended up costing me more.

And +1 on the Aimpoint PRO. High quality for a reasonable price. I'm running one on my HD weapon and I love it. I just leave it on 24/7 so it's ready to grab and go if needed.

Most guys here will give you the same advice as a lot of us have learned that same lesson. Buy once, cry once. Personally, I'm partial to Aimpoints for the reasons above.

The_crawfish
10-19-15, 19:26
I've got an EOTech w/magnifier I'm about to put up for sale if you're interested.

Cpmiller22
10-19-15, 20:14
The OP doesn't mention what he expects the rifle to do but everything's a compromise. If he needs a HD rifle and he shoots steel out to 2-300 yards for fun a quality RDS is all he needs. Sticking a magnifier on won't make it a target rifle. Remember... Everything is magnified including the dot. Yes I know it will make a potential target easier to identify but it won't make it any easier to hit. If he wants to extend his range and not give up much up close in he should at least look at a decent 1X4. A PRO, ADM mount and a cheap magnifier in a tip off mount will set him back $825. A Leupold VX-R Patrol, AP mount and set of offsets will cost him $25 more so it's a wash $$$ wise. I think he needs to decide what he wants to give up.

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom. I have a nice custom build 308 with a 10x scope on it, so when I want to shoot long range that's my rifle of choice. For this AR I was hoping to have something I can use for quick acquisition and be pretty accurate at 50-100 yards. I would also like to be able to reliably hit targets at 200-300 yards on occasion when I occasionally get out to the longer range. I like to idea of being able to co-witness with my backup sights (which I can do with my current setup). It seems like a nice failsafe in case I have an issue with my optic, or I'm just wanting to stay in practice with good ole iron sights. It seems like the Eotech might be easier to co-witness with buis than the aimpoint, but since I've not tried either I was hoping you guys could help me think through it a bit more.

One thing for sure is that y'all have definitely convinced me my cheap Chinese optic has to go :-)