PDA

View Full Version : Winter shooting gloves...

a0cake
10-19-15, 18:31
Anyone have a recommendation for winter shooting gloves? I have Raynaud's, so my fingers are basically icicles all fall and winter. It's a real pain in the ass, so I want to mitigate it with some gloves that are as warm as possible while thin enough that I can shoot, load magazines, etc. without feeling like I'm on a spacewalk at the ISS. Any standout products for this purpose? Thanks.

Kain
10-19-15, 18:34
Had a set of I think neoprene shooting gloves for hunting a couple years back. Tight enough fit that I could load and manipulate the firearms I had in hand without too much issue and they kept my hands warm enough. If I find them I will try to post more info on them.

Willieboy
10-19-15, 18:35
I think I would look for a three finger mitten, probably something made for skiing or climbing. Mittens are warmer than gloves.

Skar
10-19-15, 18:45
Depends on how cold check out Home Depot glove rack in tool section .
Mechanics gloves

BillBond
10-19-15, 18:47
Move to a warmer place.

a0cake
10-19-15, 18:50
I think I would look for a three finger mitten, probably something made for skiing or climbing. Mittens are warmer than gloves.

I was thinking about that. Maybe I can find something that has both fingers and an open mitten front that I can alternate between. I'm about to Google "tactical mittens" hahaha. Will post if I find anything good.

TXBK
10-19-15, 19:01
I would look at an offering from Outdoor Research or Arcteryx (http://www.us-elitegear.com/shop/apparel/gloves-mitts). They will be pricey, but they will also have the quality to do the job and last. The SKD PIG Bravo (http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-FDT-Bravo-Gloves-p/pig.701.htm) gloves, may be another option.

CatSnipah
10-19-15, 19:36
I use PIG gloves, but "cold" for me in the Low Country of SC isn't that cold, compared to others.

Willieboy
10-19-15, 19:59
I was thinking about that. Maybe I can find something that has both fingers and an open mitten front that I can alternate between. I'm about to Google "tactical mittens" hahaha. Will post if I find anything good.

Kain's idea of neoprene is a good one. I used to do a great deal of wreck diving in the Great Lakes. I wore three finger neoprene mittens all the time. You might check you local dive shops.

TXBK
10-19-15, 20:09
I'm looking forward to the PIG Bravo's, and hope they will be warmer than the Alpha's for a winter glove. The Alpha's haven't quite kept my hands warm in the winter, but are what I have been using for the last few years. North Texas winters aren't terribly brutal compared to mountainous or northern states, but when it is cold it is miserably cold.

GTF425
10-19-15, 20:12
In Alaska, I used to wear these:

http://www.rei.com/product/745947/seirus-all-weather-gloves-mens?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-7459470030&CAWELAID=120217890000828282&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

They're as slick as flyer's gloves, so keep that in mind. They aren't too thick, but they do well down to around 10 degrees or so.

Benito
10-20-15, 02:14
Arc'teryx make great stuff but it's pricey.
For gloves, my go-to is Outdoor Research. Especially if you find them on sale. They also make a lot of gloves in Coyote and Multicam in their Military line.

malstew123
10-20-15, 18:56
In really cold weather I'll wear pair of OR gripper gloves and add a liner to them as necessary.

Kain
10-20-15, 19:05
In Alaska, I used to wear these:

http://www.rei.com/product/745947/seirus-all-weather-gloves-mens?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-7459470030&CAWELAID=120217890000828282&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

They're as slick as flyer's gloves, so keep that in mind. They aren't too thick, but they do well down to around 10 degrees or so.

i have a pair of those gloves as well. They worked rather well, at least they appear to be the same, last time I used them, and you can do general manipulation with an AR, reloads, safety, CH, ect. The palms have like a grippy liner, not super grippy, but it is better than nothing. Not sure about loading mags, bet everything else I usually need they can do. They don't stop projectiles worth a **** though, just in case you were wondering.

Tequila45
10-20-15, 21:01
I've found that if the glove is tight against the skin they all suck. Air is a good insulater so a looser fit will be warmer. I've gone through quite a few different gloves and so far the cold weather mechanix gloves do a good job, Walmart $20

Long Range Trigger Monkey
10-25-15, 09:24
I agree with the Mechanix gloves recommendation. I bought a pair right before a match back in March and they were probably one of the best purchases that I made, they kept my hands warm but still able to work the trigger and bolt.

Turnkey11
10-26-15, 21:23
I hunted coyotes at night in the dead of winter in South Dakota wearing flight gloves with polypro liners. I also used my pockets an aweful lot and let my sling carry the rifle, as long as it was above -10 with wind chill I was out shooting something.

TXBK
10-26-15, 21:34
Does anyone else that is giving recommendations have Raynaud's? I don't, but my mother does. Her hands are ice cold at room temperature. a0cake, you can try any recommendation that has been given, but you are more than likely going to have to get a high price, high quality glove. Or, get an electric warmer glove or use hand warmers.

HardToHandle
10-27-15, 20:36
Arc'teryx make great stuff but it's pricey.
For gloves, my go-to is Outdoor Research. Especially if you find them on sale. They also make a lot of gloves in Coyote and Multicam in their Military line.

Ahem... Search for Outdoor Research gloves. So inexpensive they are almost a crime:
http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/clearance-gear.html

GJG
10-28-15, 18:32
Is it me, or are gloves as described like the search for the Holy Grail for those of us in cold weather country? Those and a pair of boots that really fit my feet perfectly. How long is the expected outdoor cold exposure time?

I have a real old pair of Arc'teryx (Stingers, I think?) that work with a rifle. I keep looking at the new LEAF Assault Glove option. Arc'teryx has some good liners that might work as an upgrade with them if you sized up in the glove (no anecdotal experience here).

OR is the next best bet generally in gloves (other than SKDs which fit real well but might not be fit for the stated purpose).