PDA

View Full Version : Most reliable cars 2015

Slater
10-21-15, 13:24
Looks like foreign brands rule:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2015/10/20/consumer-reports-lexus-most-reliable-buick-strong-tesla-poor/74257728/

THCDDM4
10-21-15, 13:35
Looks like foreign brands rule:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2015/10/20/consumer-reports-lexus-most-reliable-buick-strong-tesla-poor/74257728/

Lexus and Toyota take the top 2 spots- not surprised at all.

Tesla getting bad marks is not a surprise either. Have a buddy who got one and has nothing but issues and trips to get it fixed. He loved it for the first few months and then hated it ever since.

I wish Jeep would build a good vehicle again.

Moose-Knuckle
10-21-15, 13:38
Yeah there is a reason I drive Toyotas, though there made right here in the US.

SilverBullet432
10-21-15, 13:56
Foreign cars Have always been more reliable. I still drive Fords though and always will.

soulezoo
10-21-15, 15:03
I've got an older S430 Mercedes with 275,000 miles. The only repairs have been two front struts, one headlight bulb, and a camshaft sensor. Guess what wife drives? E350.

I've had three Fords, three Chevys... all were POS. Her Volvo... POS. I did have a Corolla in 2008. Great little car.

Arik
10-21-15, 15:16
Foreign cars Have always been more reliable. I still drive Fords though and always will.
Well I wouldn't say "always" remember the Yugo and the Peugeot 505 and Daewoo (although that was GM to blame)...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Slater
10-21-15, 15:48
The Korean brands (Kia, Hyundai) seemed to be able to steadily improve their quality over the years.

Jer
10-21-15, 19:08
The Korean brands (Kia, Hyundai) seemed to be able to steadily improve their quality over the years.

I drive a 2010 Tacoma 4x4 and a 2011 Kia Optima (the new style... turbo... Mmmm) and a 2005 Hyundai Accent that was my mom's car and all three have spotless service records. Just as reliable as can be and I have zero complaints any any of the three. I grew up in Nebraska during a time when you either drove GM or Ford and nothing else. When I realized they were going downhill & imports were really starting to make quality options I started looking towards them more and more. I wish we built better cars but we don't. I can't afford to prop up failing US companies who continue to put forth mediocre goods at top dollar with my own money so I refuse to. I buy the most reliable car for the money and I reward companies who lead the industry in these categories. Not interested in any of the other political BS and I hope that my buying decision forces domestic engineers to make better vehicles. As of late it seems that this may actually be the case but they're quite a ways behind the curve and will be playing catch up for another decade probably at best.

HKGuns
10-21-15, 19:28

I drive Ford products as well. I rarely have issues with them.....Foreign cars being more reliable is more perception than reality.

Don Robison
10-21-15, 19:33
My daughter's two Hyundais (Accent, Santa Fe) were infinitely better vehicles than her Mercedes C350 which was a giant POS. She actually traded the Mercedes to get into the Santa Fe.

Clint
10-21-15, 19:39
What?

No Subaru fans here?

Lol

jstalford
10-21-15, 20:09
My WRX was one of the more reliable cars I've had. Drove it from 40k to 140k over a couple years and double the hp along the way. Never skipped a beat and was going strong when I sold it.

The Toyota I had after that had tons of leaks and I ended up selling it instead of fixing it. Although my family has owned pretty much Toyotas exclusively and they've all done much better than mine.

I wouldn't touch a German car or a Range Rover with a 10' pole if I planned on keeping it out of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jer
10-21-15, 20:35
I drive Ford products as well. I rarely have issues with them.....Foreign cars being more reliable is more perception than reality.

I would imagine if you own a vehicle that doesn't rank near the top you tend to ignore all the facts & #'s so.... yeah, I'm sure it's just perception. lol

Pi3
10-21-15, 20:49
My camry has 60% domestic content assembled in U.S. The ford fusion has less than 50% domestic content & is assembled in Mexico. Which is more american?

Firefly
10-21-15, 20:58
There are V dubs made in America.

The only import car I want, but can't have since I live in a free country, is a Toyota Hilux Diesel.

AKDoug
10-21-15, 21:00
I wish Jeep would build a good vehicle again. When did they ever? They built capable vehicles, but I never considered them reliable.

Arik
10-21-15, 21:07
When did they ever? They built capable vehicles, but I never considered them reliable.
I always considered the Cherokee and Wranglers 4.0 v6 to be fairly reliable. Often see them on the road with tons of miles and with 200 - 300k at auctions

My last car was a 01 Toyota Solara 4cyl. Bought it with 81k sold with almost 300k. Over that time I replaced 4 shocks, 1 radiator at 200k, and every 100k I replaced the belt and water pump. That was it, everything else was what it had when it left the factory

MegademiC
10-21-15, 21:19
Co worker has a 90s camery with 270k.
My 2005 tsx has 210k and runs like new except for a small oil leak.

I'm an acura fan. Older Chevy were good but I don't see too many from the 90s on with 200 plus.
Fords the only big us company left and seem to be doing well but have no personal experience.

Next car will be a jag. They seem to be doing well recently.

Vandal
10-21-15, 21:22
What?

No Subaru fans here?

Lol

Maybe one or two of us, though I'm back selling Subarus after a stint in LE. The Outback and Legacy are currently made in Indiana.

All brands make some less than stellar vehicles. I've seen everything listed on the "reliable" list fail epically in some way shape or form. The best advice I can pass along is to follow the maintenance schedule and replace parts as needed. And yes, the German stuff is more expensive, I just went from a GTI to an Audi A3, I'm very familiar with those costs. You don't like it don't buy it.

militarymoron
10-21-15, 21:24
What?

No Subaru fans here?

Lol

Both vehicles we have are subarus. My wife drives our family car; a '13 outback - we love it so far. Not a big-ass SUV, decent power (got the 3.6L), and enough space to suit our needs. Very practical for everyday urban use, and the occasional family trip off the highway.

HKGuns
10-21-15, 21:57
My camry has 60% domestic content assembled in U.S. The ford fusion has less than 50% domestic content & is assembled in Mexico. Which is more american?

It doesn't really matter where it is assembled, the Fusion is a far better car than the "appliance."

All auto companies are global multinationals and make production and parts sourcing decisions based on criteria far more complex and important than the few assembly jobs created by a plant. Trade, currency exchange, taxes, tax incentives, parts availability, transportation costs, energy costs and availability are far higher contributors to the decision than the few, relatively low skill, low paying, assembly jobs created in the process.

Ford and GM are currently the only two US owned and operated, if you think that doesn't matter you're fooling yourself. Ford is still owned and controlled by the Ford family.

Dienekes
10-21-15, 22:47
My little tribe went mostly Toyota almost 20 years ago after reading up the CU long term reliability reports (all little red balls in the columns). A friend of my son got about 14 years and a little over 300K out of a '95? Toyota 4x4 pickup.

Having owned, fixed, and driven "real" Jeeps over the years, I still have a restored '72 CJ-5 as a toy. As Jeeps go, it's very reliable. Being hand-built, it ought to be! But my '87 Toyota 4x4 is far, far superior in all respects.

Having owned an old school GMC Suburban when American soccer moms wouldn't be caught dead in one, I find it amusing that the current iterations of them at the bottom of the list for reliability, along with big GM pickups. In spite of that, those vehicles sell like hot cakes around here. Go figure.

Pilgrim
10-21-15, 23:05
I like Toyota... But most of the cars are so boring!!! But boring can be good sometimes. When my daughter needed a car for school/military use the only thing we considered was what color the Corolla was going to be.

I have forsaken Dodge and become a Ford fan car wise. I'm in need of a new truck and have been agonizing like Gollum over if I should get a Ford or a Toyota, seemingly no end to my torment.

For serious 'end of the world' use it's still hard to beat 70's to 80's to 90's GM... Except after you sink $20,000 just in parts into a 1983 Chevy Blazer... The thought hits you that you could have had a Tundra or Wrangler 1/2 paid off!!!

Can't help but notice that the Dodge Challenger gets very high marks, but the Charger gets rather low marks, did not think there was much mechanical difference between them.

SkiDevil
10-22-15, 06:30
Most of my personal experience was with the Toyota and Honda brands. My father was a die hard Chevy guy, but drives a Toyota now.

Two Chevy cars and one SUV. All three vehicles were solid, especially the Blazer.

For the money, many of the Japanese brands are a good buy. My own experiences are two, one Honda and a Toyota.

280K on the Toyota and 250K on the Honda. Both were very reliable.

Newest car purchased a Ford. Great experience so far. Ford has really come a long way.

I too spent a few years in the car business. I agree that every company puts out turds.

Maintaining your vehicle and treating it with some regards to minimizing abuse helps. Biggest thing for a more reliable ownership experience is regularly changing the fluids, especially motor and transmission oil.

Another interesting website: carcomplaints.com

Arik
10-22-15, 07:56
Having owned an old school GMC Suburban when American soccer moms wouldn't be caught dead in one, I find it amusing that the current iterations of them at the bottom of the list for reliability, along with big GM pickups. In spite of that, those vehicles sell like hot cakes around here. Go figure.

I was actually a little surprised to see the Tahoe/Suburban on the fail list. I have no ownership experience with them but we have a few at work with close to 200k and that was after they were retired from LE agencies. No major problems and don't remember having any engine or transmissions repairs. And when we sell them the only complaints from the buyers is usually that the check engine light came on.

Sam
10-22-15, 09:14
There are V dubs made in America.

My VW is made in Chattanooga, my KIA is made in West Point, GA. Both are fairly new but haven't had any problem. My brother's 1993 (yes, not a typo) Ford Ranger (with fairly low miles, 100K) is troublefree.

When I had a Mercedes (1992), as it gotten older, the repair cost also got more expensive. Whenever something was broken, it's always $700 or more. The engine was solid but the accessories were the weaknesses.

My 2003 Acura TL had a major transmission failure after the warranty ran out. They used the same transmission as their Honda Accords for a range of years, the failure was pretty common.

brickboy240
10-22-15, 09:36
Does not surprise me. The most reliable cars we have owned were Toyota pickups.

Although I have owned several GM pickups that were also pretty trouble free. GM makes lots of crap but there are two things GM always does correct - the Corvette and the full sized pickup truck.

Owned one Ford pickup and an Explorer (dubbed the Exploder! LOL) and both were unreliable and had very low resale prices. No more Fords, thank you. I have watched my cousins cry and scream over their Dodge pickups enough to know I never want to go there either.