PDA

View Full Version : Idaho School District Buys Guns, Trains Teachers To Shoot

WillBrink
10-23-15, 11:53
And interview on NPR with with Greg Alexander, on Garden Valley School District, on the purchase of four rifles and 2,000 rounds of ammunition for self-defense of their school. A good interview, and deserving of supportive comments for NPR addressing the topic without hysteria etc:

In reaction to school shootings like the one in Roseburg, Oregon earlier this month, some have called for reexamining “gun-free zones” on campus. But one K-12 school outside of Boise, Idaho has taken a different tack, arming itself and training some staff members how to use a gun.

Garden Valley School District, a rural district with just 200 students, voted earlier this year to purchase four rifles and 2,000 rounds of ammunition for self-defense.

Here & Now’s Robin Young speaks with Greg Alexander, the district’s principal and superintendent, as they enter their first school year under the new policy.
Interview Highlights

Why was the decision made to arm the school?

“Our first responders are sometimes up to 45 minutes away… We have 95 percent of families with weapons, because it’s a hunting community. So those students grow up – I just sat through a class with fifth graders doing hunter safety – it’s all part of the community and the culture that weapons are present. So knowing that students would be contacting parents, they would end up being the first responders… then they’re going to be down there in a moment and we’ve got to be sure they know we’ve taken care of their kids. Safety is our utmost concern.”

Don’t you worry that arming teachers is adding an element of danger?

“Teachers have the option to be a part of the training and be a part of the trained staff, and we have a detective who has come in to help us with all of our training and has done a great job with getting the teachers and administrators on board understanding the seriousness of what the weapons can do. It’s a respect value. We’re taking teachers that know and respect weapons to help with securing the facilities. It’s not saying, ‘hey I’m going to take a teacher that doesn’t want to be a part of it or doesn’t feel like they could make those decisions in those moments,’ but the local county sheriff’s department participates in the training so there’s a collaboration between us so we can at least get things situated and under control before they get there.”

Do you worry about a liability if something does go wrong?

“Yes I do, I won’t deny that we wouldn’t be concerned about that. But the difference is, when you grow up, and many of our teachers have grown up in a similar rural setting, the ones that are a part of this are ones that have grown up around weapons and go hunting, they recognize that when a gun is fired, it hurts and it kills. It’s one of the 10 commandments of firing, you don’t put your finger on the trigger until you’re ready to fire. I think that’s the difference. I’ve been in other settings, other districts, where the kids don’t grow up hunting but there’s guns around and that’s more a gang setting. And that’s where you see accidents around guns, because the kids don’t respect the weapons. Us having secured weapons, our hope and our plans, is that we’re deterring those kinds of situations. It’s not just one teacher, it’s multiple, so in that same sense, we would be able to protect ourselves from that particular person.”

Cont:

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2015/10/23/idaho-school-arms-teachers

Firefly
10-23-15, 11:59
Hmm.....

Which deters active shooters more?
A 'Gun Free Zone' sign

Or

WARNING: USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED?

WillBrink
10-23-15, 12:03
Hmm.....

Which deters active shooters more?
A 'Gun Free Zone' sign

Or

WARNING: USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED?

Stupid people will always require ongoing convincing of things that are common sense and not rocket science for those with two working neurons.

Firefly
10-23-15, 12:12
Stupid people will always require ongoing convincing of things that are common sense and not rocket science for those with two working neurons.

I dunno. I've actually been granted access to a few places with those signs and they still give me the willies. Despite being there for a legit purpose...

It's like when you're a kid and they used to have labels with a skull and crossbones for poison. Or hearing a godawful beeep and seeing the triangle with CD for Civil Defense.

I think aside from trained staff, having signs like that actually do have an effect. Big difference between jailtime and a fine and knowing somewhere that crosshairs can be on you at a moments notice.

sevenhelmet
10-23-15, 12:17
Highly commendable action by that school district. I would have no qualms letting my kids go to school there.

Moose-Knuckle
10-23-15, 12:57
That is great news.

Israeli teachers have been doing just this for years.

Vandal
10-23-15, 13:04
I grew up in Boise, Garden Valley is a lot more rural than the article makes it seem. The road out there closes due to rock slide or avalanche a few times a year and as mentioned help can be 45 minutes plus away with a minimally staffed Sheriff's Office. You really are your own first responder out there.

CleverNickname
10-23-15, 13:57
I don't see anything wrong with this other than it would probably make more sense to have the teachers carry pistols on their person, instead of having rifles locked up somewhere else that they may not be able to immediately retrieve.

Firefly
10-23-15, 14:08
I don't see anything wrong with this other than it would probably make more sense to have the teachers carry pistols on their person, instead of having rifles locked up somewhere else that they may not be able to immediately retrieve.

That's a slippery slope. Because certain students wouldn't be above rushing and overpowering a teacher. Most teachers want to teach. Not police and teach at the same time. Teacher assaults are rather frequent.

Then, they'll scrap the idea entirely.

It's not like that movie class of 1999 where you can have multirole combat droids trying to teach and keep order.

We should rethink No Child Left Behind. If a kid really doesn't want to go to school then screw him. Let him go.

cbx
10-23-15, 14:22
God I love my state!

We used to to have rifles in our trucks at school where I grew up in Idaho. Then the rules changed and not allowed. Big f'ing deal. Then, they started doing random searches and s*** in the parking lot. That's when we all stopped having them in our vehicles.

I'll never forget the time that my vehicle got searched because their drug dogs supposedly had a "hit" on my truck. Then those damn guys ask if they're going to find anything? It might stink like cow s*** in there I said, but that's about it. Then he got really cute when he found some condoms in there. He asked me what I did with these and I reply with a straight face "I f*** with them Sir." Meanwhile three or four cars down with some pot head kids car with Grateful Dead stickers plastered across the back. Never search that guy. Assholes......

Anyways, Funny thing was, we were all safer and better weapon handlers than most, because we used them everyday to go hunt varmints and shoot cans with.

Know what your actually doing....What a concept.

I know for weapons manufacturers Idaho is one of the best places there is as far as laws go. In fact, I want to stay here a few years ago they passed legislation that manufacturers cannot be sued in any capacity regarding the use of their products, or something to that effect. (Eta, I can't find any reference on this. This is a law saying that they don't recognize any New federal laws involving guns)

Glad to see some balls for a change. I get tired everybody being giant pussies and guns are icky in the world.

Jer
10-23-15, 19:15
My initial reaction was 'Yea!'

The more I think about it the more I'm not sure. IMO the proper way to go about this is to lift the 'gun free' zone or gun ban and just let those who wish to and are able to make the decision to carry. Can you imagine if a teacher snaps or a ND happens and children are hurt/killed? You think things are crazy now... just wait until something bad happens and the school orchestrated it. Much different than if they just list the ban and an individual makes a mistake. I dunno which side I'm on on this topic because I really feel like the current model is broken. I'm just not sure that this is the right answer.

26 Inf
10-23-15, 19:44
A school district here was going to allow essentially the same thing - volunteers, training, secured weapons - their insurance carrier shot it down. Idiots.

Another district has the head custodian (in schools where qualified) trained as a team member to assist the SRO in active shooter situations. Unfortunately, the SRO or other responding officers bring the weapon.

Firefly
10-23-15, 19:47
Why not just make it elective training and carry, but have competent police there full time. Make it a rotatable position so people don't get too comfortable (i.e. it wouldn't attract skaters or retired on duty types)

If we spent half the trouble on protecting kids as we did money or gold; we wouldn't have these issues

TAZ
10-23-15, 20:24
That's a slippery slope. Because certain students wouldn't be above rushing and overpowering a teacher. Most teachers want to teach. Not police and teach at the same time. Teacher assaults are rather frequent.

We should rethink No Child Left Behind. If a kid really doesn't want to go to school then screw him. Let him go.

For this community, I seriously doubt that they have a rash of droopy pants, gangbanger wannabe idiots wasting oxygen and assaulting teachers like we more civilized city folks do. I am all for each location deciding what best meets their needs. I some chose to allow teachers to carry sidearms, then so be it. If they allow teachers to go around with AR's strapped to them then so be it. If I don't like their choices I will vote with my wallet and move my kid out of their area.

I also agree about the unwilling folks get left behind, however, I want a disclaimer the if they can't graduate from HS they don't get FSA benefits.

My initial reaction was 'Yea!'

The more I think about it the more I'm not sure. IMO the proper way to go about this is to lift the 'gun free' zone or gun ban and just let those who wish to and are able to make the decision to carry. Can you imagine if a teacher snaps or a ND happens and children are hurt/killed? You think things are crazy now... just wait until something bad happens and the school orchestrated it. Much different than if they just list the ban and an individual makes a mistake. I dunno which side I'm on on this topic because I really feel like the current model is broken. I'm just not sure that this is the right answer.

I agree 100% with the lift the gun ban and let us all carry when we are transitioning our kids and such. Not going to change the bed wetters argument though. An ND or missed shot in a crisis will still illicit the same BS from the short bus mommies. Never would have happened had you not changed the rules. You didn't properly train and prepare your teachers to deal with crowds... Blah, blah, blah.

CleverNickname
10-23-15, 20:50

I'm not advocating forcing anyone to carry who doesn't want to carry.