PDA

View Full Version : ND at Local Range

WillBrink
10-24-15, 11:35
I was not there but a buddy was. Happened at the indoor range. Woman was shooting in the lane and a hot brass went down her V neck shirt and started to burn her boobs. She flailed around trying to get the brass and shot herself through the tricep. Strictly a flesh wound and nothing vital struck he said, and no one in the lane next to her, so could have been far worse.

But, that's a potential learning moment for others. If you shoot long enough, you will get burned by brass and there is such a thing as range appropriate clothing and not so appropriate clothing... V neck shirts are brass casing funnels to your boobs or moobs folks! I tend to wear a hat after having brass get stuck between shooting glasses and face and having to put gun down carefully then removing brass from face, which I could actually hear the sizzling noise.

Hence, if you're a regular shooter, wear range appropriate clothing, realize you will at some point get hot brass stuck some place that hurts, and don't flail!

This is not range appropriate range wear :cool:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/tumblr_lsxxavTWhh1qj4t1so1_500.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/tumblr_lsxxavTWhh1qj4t1so1_500.jpg.html)

Firefly
10-24-15, 12:05
If I go shooting with a chickie snack I have an old summer weight bdu jacket I bring along in case they insist on still dressing 'plungy'.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-24-15, 12:14
Actually that is perfect attire- no place for brass to get caught. Only naked would be better..

cbx
10-24-15, 13:01
I agree, there's no where's for ass to get stuck.....I mean brass....

I share your view Will. I took some gals shooting this summer. Told them all to dress appropriately for being in the dirt and dessert......what happens, flip flops and daisy dukes...... however , an aesthetically pleasing proned out woman in daisy dukes made me forget all about my bitching......

cbx
10-24-15, 13:02
Just though about it some more, that would have been hell of scary, watching someone flailing around over brass burns and an nd(s).....

el_chingoton13
10-24-15, 13:27
Had the brass in the shooting glasses thing happen to me before. Shit hurts. I also now always wear a hat when shooting.

Firefly
10-24-15, 13:39
Had the brass in the shooting glasses thing happen to me before. Shit hurts. I also now always wear a hat when shooting.

Lol. Not at you but it reminds me of this one 'switched on' Swat commando wannabe skinhead(as in those dudes who shave their heads because they are so hardcore and "professional") who thought I looked gay for wearing Oakleys, hat, and earplugs with ear pro while shooting "merely" 9mm.

Anyways, dipshit attempts some double tapping and gets brass on the bridge of his nose wedged by some lame ass Maui Jims.

I then explained to him that A: M frame Oakleys or similar style do tend to deflect brass a lot better if B: the brim of my hat didn't deflect it first and C: I double up on earpro because I have screwed up hearing and tinnitus and wish to preserve what I have left.

I was also called a 'fag' for wearing earplugs to the floor pit of Rammstein and Slayer. Trust me, it was still quite audible and enjoyable.

These rugged individualists are the guys who end up minus a finger, an eye, or busted eardrums because they are badasses or something.

10-24-15, 14:10
I'm glad I have a membership to a private range with individual bays. Also when I have to shoot somewhere else, I go to an indoor range that has bullet proof lane dividers/walls. F all that nonsense you see nowadays at the public ranges.

gunrunner505
10-24-15, 14:27
I had a case from the guy next to me in class go down the back of my shirt while doing a rhythm drill. Let me tell you how much that sucked.

Bulletdog
10-24-15, 14:39
I caught some .40 brass between my glasses and face once, but I didn't flail or shoot myself. Man, that hurt. Didn't leave a scar.

Now. Let's hear some more about prone girls in Daisy Dukes.

gunrunner505
10-24-15, 14:44
https://youtu.be/DI1KvF8MYK4

Dist. Expert 26
10-24-15, 14:57
I had a piece of brass get caught under my collar during some CQB training. It took a couple minutes to finish clearing the house and by that time it had fused itself into my skin. Somehow I managed not to shoot myself or anyone else though...

Firefly
10-24-15, 14:58
What about hot guys in the prone position?

I recall doing rifle training next to a guy who had an M16A1. I had an A2, everybody else had an M4 or carbine.

Well... there was a good, good, good reason shell deflectors were invented.

Getting piping hot 5.56 brass down the nape of my neck was not pleasant. After that, I looked like lawrence of arabia because i put like a towel under my cap.

Averageman
10-24-15, 15:01
https://youtu.be/DI1KvF8MYK4

I really enjoyed watching the effects of recoil and I'm still not sure why the Guy who invented Yoga pants is not a Nobel prize winner.

Airhasz
10-24-15, 15:05
Anyone who frequents the range regulary will deal with hot brass problem sooner or later. Not an excuse to send lead in an unintended direction though, I must say. Public ranges draw all sorts of inexperienced shooters daily, attend at your own risk, unfortunately.

Bulletdog
10-24-15, 15:14
I really enjoyed watching the effects of recoil and I'm still not sure why the Guy who invented Yoga pants is not a Nobel prize winner.

Agreed!

SteyrAUG
10-24-15, 16:01
First rule of hot brass: Put your weapon down pointed in a safe direction.

GH41
10-24-15, 16:37

Obviously you have never had a piece of hot brass between your eyelid and glasses.

SteyrAUG
10-24-15, 18:01
Obviously you have never had a piece of hot brass between your eyelid and glasses.

True. And I would accept removing your glasses while keeping the weapon pointed in a safe direction. I would also look into finding some shooting glasses that prevent such incidents. Sounds exceptionally painful.

But I've probably had a dozen round land in the collar of my shirt and the point I was making was not to flail your still loaded weapon around like an idiot. Can't remember which one, but there is one handgun that seems to be specifically engineered to toss brass straight up over your head and into the back of any collared shirt. It was absolutely uncomfortable, but each time I knew to put my weapon down before clearing spent brass from my polo.

The absolute worst one was standing on the wrong side of a full auto AK and having a spent case land inside my collar. I think steel case probably gets hotter than brass and full auto seems to make for a nice furnace. Thankfully I wasn't shooting at the time because that one was pretty painful.

But I guess that is why we have four rules, and if this girl had simply kept her finger OFF the trigger, she wouldn't have shot herself. Would have preferred she kept her weapon pointed in a safe direction as well, but maybe she has also figured that one out by now. Glad she isn't dead, glad she didn't shoot anyone.

Firefly
10-24-15, 18:39
The Walther P1 is what you're thinking of Steyr. I had one and it would do that to me. I miss it though and wish I hadn't traded it.
It was my Napoleon Solo gun.....and I had comsidered getting it chromed like Megatron.

diving dave
10-24-15, 18:46
I have nothing of worth to add to this thread, except the photo in original post is.....awesome :cool:

Gunfixr
10-24-15, 19:23
After 20+ yrs in a machine shop, all I can say is, what a bunch of wusses.
Chips come off the cutting tool from Blue to purple, that's 800 to 900 degrees.
You don't even want to know all the places they go, especially as they will burn right through your clothes to sink into your skin.
You may not be in a position to let go of the machine handles, either.

Then, there is torch slag, way hotter. Especially through the pants leg, and down the pull on work boots to the top of the foot.

I ignore brass.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Firefly
10-24-15, 19:25
I'm not a wuss. I'm simply allergic to pain. It hurts me.

FlyingHunter
10-24-15, 19:37

Been there done that. always wear a hat now, specially due to the experience of the brass stuck on the inside of the shooting glasses. That Sh*t hurts.

SteveL
10-24-15, 21:03
Been there done that. always wear a hat now, specially due to the experience of the brass stuck on the inside of the shooting glasses. That Sh*t hurts.

I've also learned the hard way to wear a hat, especially when on the firing line next to other shooters.

I was in a class once where we were winding down on the last day and doing an accuracy competition. One of the guys who was up had a bee or wasp or some such land on his left forearm. He began to try and rake it off his arm using the muzzle of his pistol. The instructor jumped into action and prevented an accident, but it just goes to show you never know how anyone will react when something unexpected happens.

BIGUGLY
10-24-15, 21:57
I have been burned multiple times and usually bring a towel or jacket when we qualify due to close quarters and that 5.56 brass is darn hot.

Now my 7 year old has already learned why you wear the right clothing. For his 6th birthday we went shooting which is his birthday tradition. He loves plinking away with a .22 WMR. While he was doing this I was kneeling next to him while he was shooting prone. He fired a round which was the last in the magazine and immediately leaned over onto his arm to shift the gun to drop the magazine. Well he leaned onto the brass from the round he just fired. All he said was ow and I looked at his face and he had a couple tears welling up. He showed me what happened and he now has a perfectly shaped .22WMR brass casing scar, which was then just a burn. I asked if he was ok and thinking if I had anything to treat burns in the med kit. I asked him if he was ok, and he shook his head yes. I asked if he wanted to quit for the day. I was so proud when all he said "I need to reload".

echo5whiskey
10-24-15, 22:52
I was so proud when all he said "I need to reload".

Parenting: You're doing it right

SteyrAUG
10-25-15, 00:29
The Walther P1 is what you're thinking of Steyr. I had one and it would do that to me. I miss it though and wish I hadn't traded it.
It was my Napoleon Solo gun.....and I had comsidered getting it chromed like Megatron.

Could have been, in my case it would have been a P-38 but essentially the same thing. Glad I'm not the only one who knows the classics like "Man From U.N.C.L.E."

SteyrAUG
10-25-15, 00:33
After 20+ yrs in a machine shop, all I can say is, what a bunch of wusses.
Chips come off the cutting tool from Blue to purple, that's 800 to 900 degrees.
You don't even want to know all the places they go, especially as they will burn right through your clothes to sink into your skin.
You may not be in a position to let go of the machine handles, either.

Then, there is torch slag, way hotter. Especially through the pants leg, and down the pull on work boots to the top of the foot.

I ignore brass.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

I hate when I do that...

http://www.nbc.com/sites/nbcunbc/files/files/images/2015/4/22/140207_2722784_Do_You_Know_What_I_Hate__anvver_2.jpg

R0CKETMAN
10-25-15, 07:46
Based on the provided info, it appears the ND was due to the inexperience of the shooter rather than attire.

cbx
10-25-15, 11:35
What's the first rule of hot ass Steyr?

cbx
10-25-15, 11:44
I caught some .40 brass between my glasses and face once, but I didn't flail or shoot myself. Man, that hurt. Didn't leave a scar.

Now. Let's hear some more about prone girls in Daisy Dukes.
I wanted to take photos. I really did. This particular female was another order of magnitude worth of fine with incredible genetics. But I decided that it would be far too risky after my ol lady just went 12 for 13 on a pistol.

It was just too risky of a maneuver gentlemen. I felt odds of survival were too low.

gunrunner505
10-25-15, 13:25
I wanted to take photos. I really did. This particular female was another order of magnitude worth of fine with incredible genetics. But I decided that it would be far too risky after my ol lady just went 12 for 13 on a pistol.

It was just too risky of a maneuver gentlemen. I felt odds of survival were too low.
Just tell her it is a safety issue. Educational......

WillBrink
10-25-15, 13:31

No guts no glory! As Winston Churchill said:

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because your wife caught you taking a picture of her friends crack while shooting.”

cbx
10-25-15, 14:53
Just tell her it is a safety issue. Educational......

No guts no glory! As Winston Churchill said:

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because your wife caught you taking a picture of her friends crack while shooting.”
I know men.....I have failed. It could have been my opus.

Will, when I read your quote, for some reason, I had the image of Mel Gibson in Brave Heart making that a speech........

That was funny as hell. I'm still laughing.

Firefly
10-25-15, 15:15
I never understood the whole "oh don't look" spiel.

I look at whatever I want and expect others to do the same. If people are that insecure, then that's sad. I understand wanting to respect feelings, but no...I look at what I want. Perhaps I just like the figure, or hairstyle, or outfit. I may also find it sexually appealing but beyond that bleh...passing interest.

Women do it too. Doesn't bother me. I suppose I'm slightly libertine in a few regards but there it is.

Because no matter how attractive someone is...
.somebody, somewhere is totally fed up with their BS

WillBrink
10-25-15, 15:26
I know men.....I have failed. It could have been my opus.

Will, when I read your quote, for some reason, I had the image of Mel Gibson in Brave Heart making that a speech........

That was funny as hell. I'm still laughing.

That actual quote a classic:

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.” —Winston Churchill

gunrunner505
10-25-15, 15:44
I never understood the whole "oh don't look" spiel.

I look at whatever I want and expect others to do the same. If people are that insecure, then that's sad. I understand wanting to respect feelings, but no...I look at what I want. Perhaps I just like the figure, or hairstyle, or outfit. I may also find it sexually appealing but beyond that bleh...passing interest.

Women do it too. Doesn't bother me. I suppose I'm slightly libertine in a few regards but there it is.

Because no matter how attractive someone is...
.somebody, somewhere is totally fed up with their BS
1000% agree. Chicks walk around knowing to the millimeter how much of what is showing. You put it out there, I'm going to look at it.

AKDoug
10-26-15, 00:43
I was in a class with my 15y.o. daughter and she took three pieces of 5.56 down the collar of her shirt from my rifle when we were shooting prone. All left perfect outline burns of the brass on her collar bone. Then she took one that left a perfect ring on her cheek below her shooting glasses. Not once did she flinch or bitch about it. The next day she went to a week long volleyball camp. The girls in her dorm room thought she'd been tortured, but my girl just shrugged it off and said it was the price of shooting sometimes. The next day, while pairing up with other girls to practice a young lady approached her and asked "do you shoot? That girl recognized brass burns and my daughter and her are friends now. Having taken dozens of rounds down my collar in various classes, I will say that 5.56 is ten time worse than 9mm or .40.

ColtSeavers
10-26-15, 01:12
There's only two places I've never gotten hot brass, in my pants and in my eye-protection. I don't wear ey-protection. I do wear pants. I don't care if it burns. That may very well change the day I decide to go shooting with eye-protection and no pants on.

Crow Hunter
10-26-15, 08:56
One day during a training class years ago my wife had a .40 S&W brass from a member of the Memphis SWAT team go right now the back of her pants. (Sig P226 .40 by the way)

She starting say "OWOWOW" and I said "What's wrong?" she said "Hot Brass, HOT BRASS", so I went to her and said "Where?" She whispered very fiercely and quite distinctly "Back of my pants!!!", however she kept her G19 pointed downrange and her finger along the side of the frame, because I glanced at her hand as I went to try and fish the brass out. Afterwards we found out that it had burned both cheeks.:D

FWIW, the SWAT guy apologized for it once he realized what she was yelling about and why my hand was down the back of her pants. Of course he couldn't stop laughing. (Of course neither could I)

She also wore a longer shirt the next day. :)

ETA:

Also, my wife is an experienced shooter, although that was her first brass in the drawers experience. :)

MegademiC
10-26-15, 12:31
Got 223 brass down my sock once. Th next day it looked like a casing was under my skin, you could see the neck and everythjng... finger went off the trigger and gun stayed down range while I frantically dug it out .

Ryno12
10-26-15, 12:41
Got 223 brass down my sock once. Th next day it looked like a casing was under my skin, you could see the neck and everythjng... finger went off the trigger and gun stayed down range while I frantically dug it out .

Ok, gotta ask. How do you get a spent case down your sock? I'm assuming you were wearing shorts but how loose are your socks?

Moose-Knuckle
10-26-15, 14:33
Maybe range appropriate tops should be turtle neck only?

I've gotten molten brass down my t-shirt's I don't even know how many times. It happens. If the four basic rules were adhered to the young lady in the OP would not have had a ND. I wish someone would ask which hurt worse, being burned by the brass or shooting herself in the f'n tricep.

WillBrink
10-26-15, 16:57
Maybe range appropriate tops should be turtle neck only?

I've gotten molten brass down my t-shirt's I don't even know how many times. It happens. If the four basic rules were adhered to the young lady in the OP would not have had a ND. I wish someone would ask which hurt worse, being burned by the brass her shooting herself in the f'n tricep.

But now she has to deal with both. Doh!

WickedWillis
10-26-15, 19:00
I had a Glock 19 BTF go up, over my head, down my back, into my crack and roll between under my ass cheek and boxer briefs, try explaining that burn to the significant other.... Another member witnessed this btw :haha:

Bubba FAL
10-26-15, 21:07
Been burned by hot brass plenty of times, never felt the need to shoot myself over it! :p

My match gun (high power) weighs ~17# and has a shortened ejector spring - empty brass just kind of rolls out the ejection port. I wear a fingerless mitt on my support hand during matches. Well, one day during the Offhand stage, a piece of brass rolled out of the port and landed inside my mitt, searing itself into the crease at the base of my fingers - that hurt like a bitch! Ended up with 2nd degree burns on each finger, which made the rest of the match real fun. The fact that it was my writing hand that was blistered made it even more enjoyable.

Also in the prone stages, if you don't wear a wide brimmed hat (or backwards baseball cap), it's common to put a towel across your neck to stop your neighbor's brass from landing there. First time it happened to me was a .30-06 case from a Garand during a rapid stage. Had to decide whether to tough it out and finish or break position and blow the stage. Surprisingly, the pain wasn't that bad til I had fired all my rounds - and it still hurt less than the 5.56 case inside my mitt.

MegademiC
10-27-15, 09:53
Ok, gotta ask. How do you get a spent case down your sock? I'm assuming you were wearing shorts but how loose are your socks?

Ankle socks, there is a small gap next to achellies tendon (sp). Just big enough for 223 brass. Damn near impossible, but Murphy was strong that day. It was stuck in there hard and I actually had to grab it a few times to get it out, lol.

Ryno12
10-27-15, 11:24
Damn near impossible, but Murphy was strong that day.

Boy, I guess. That's a million to one shot right there.

sevenhelmet
10-27-15, 12:35
They said it was a million dollar wound, but the range must keep that money, because she never saw a dime. :jester: