PDA

View Full Version : Who here was introduced to shooting in the boy scouts?

stainless_steel
10-25-15, 12:46
For me it was at summer camp. They had
single shot 22LR rifles. I instantly
fell in love. I am in my sixties and can
play back that tape in my head, like it
was yesterday.

How about you?

Cheers.

wilson1911
10-25-15, 13:22
I grew up shooting as home. Guns were a part of life for me.

As for the Boy Scouts, I did go to scout camp one year and took the shooting merit badge class. Out of everyone shooting I took First Place. I probably shot the same worn out canted sight rifle you did lol.

sevenhelmet
10-25-15, 13:52
I was. We didn't have guns in my house growing up, but my parents had no problem with me learning to shoot bow, rifle, and shotgun in scouts.

DJK
10-25-15, 13:59
Troop 245, Cherry Hill, NJ. Late 60s. .22 Rifle. Still have my first target.

Surf
10-25-15, 15:55
Scouting was not what introduced me to shooting, but I did participate in shooting activities while in the Scouts.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-25-15, 21:56
Went to watch my grandfather shoot trap and 'helped' him with reloading, but I was too young to shoot. Boy Scouts with 22lr and 12ga.

They set up a bird thrower and go over the 12ga- it was an autoloader. One round at a time. They show us a few times and then start us going. $0.25 a shot IIRC in the early 80s. Everyone is missing. I get up, yell 'Pull' the bird goes out and I'd like to think I aimed, but I know better, BANG and wouldn't you know it- I smoked it. I should have sat down, I missed the next one.

rero360
10-26-15, 00:00
My first time shooting a gun was at a friend's house, a .410, think I started shooting .22s at scout camp the following summer, still cub scouts at the time, right around the time of the OJ trial.

usmcvet
10-28-15, 17:47
It was YMCA Camp for me. We shot single shot .22's. I never went to Scout Camp.

Firefly
10-28-15, 17:56
Not me. I think I was like 5 and my dad said "Boy, you are shooting a shotgun today".

No eyes, no ears, a few Pepsi cans and it was the best day ever. A: it totally demystified the concept of a gun. B: I saw first hand the destructive consequences and C: It was just a dandy time

When I was like 9 or 10 I got to shoot a .38, a 1911, an M1 Carbine, and a Beretta.
Then I went to school in a city and everyone thought that was crazy. But I had a ball.

Also I got kicked out of Cub Scouts but whatever.

scooter22
10-28-15, 17:57
I was introduced to shooting by my father before I ever went to summer camp.

However, I definitely shot bolt-action 22's at camp. That's how I learned I needed glasses :D

prdubi
10-28-15, 18:35
Briefly. ....in los angeles. ..troop 196....1986....year...boy scout jamboree....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
10-28-15, 20:51
Scouting was not what introduced me to shooting, but I did participate in shooting activities while in the Scouts.

This.

Grew up on a cattle ranch in West Texas. Shot my grandfather's Colt Woodsman .22 pistol when I was 7. Had my own single-shot Winchester bolt action .22 rifle at age 9. A Sears brand "Ted Williams" .30-06 when I was 12, with a Weaver K-4 scope. My own Colt 1911 Government Model in 45 ACP when I was 16.

All of this was way before concealed handgun licenses in Texas. Yes, you could walk into a bank wearing a Stetson and a locked and cocked 1911, and receive a friendly smile.

Scouts was fun, and I did become an Eagle Scout. But I probably introduced more Scouts to firearms, than the other way around.

Dave_M
10-29-15, 01:37
I didn't grow up with guns in the house. The excuse was always "your mother doesn't like them" but I later learned it was because my father simply couldn't afford them. These days he has several (mom too) but it was pretty lean when I was young. The first actual firearm I ever shot was at Boy Scout camp. Yes, single shot 22lr's. That was my favorite merit badge and every summer I returned to do it all over. If you could get devices on merit badges like you do on military awards I'd have had three gold starts in lieu of a fourth award ;)

I recall they had wooden blocks with pockets drilled in them to hold individual rounds for easy access from the bench. The edges worn smooth and darkened from a generation of handling. That sticks out to me.

austinN4
10-29-15, 07:32

Ditto - started by hunting with my father at an early age, and have been involved with firearms ever since.

RazorBurn
10-29-15, 07:52
My grandfather and stepfather introduced me to shooting on their farms, but I did participate in shooting activities in 4H though. I still have an old Western Field 16 gauge shotgun and a couple of 22 rifles my grandfather gave me way back when. Back in the day when I was a young 4H was a great organization. I have no clue what it is today, as that was over 25 years ago. I hope 4H is still as good as I remember it though.