PDA

View Full Version : Newer Trijicon TA50... Now with BDC and lower mounting options

masakari
10-25-15, 14:00
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?mid=3%20x%2024

Just noticed the redesigned TA50 on Trijicon's website. It now has a BDC and is available with a low base for mounting on non-AR platforms.
Does anyone have any experience with the newer ones, or at least with the older ones? How are they?
I'm considering one for an SBR, but I've heard they have very short eye relief like the TA31.

Hoplophile
10-30-15, 22:32
I have not handled the newer models but I have an old TA50-4 on an SBR. Trijicon's stats say that it has slightly less eye relief than the TA31 (1.4" vs 1.5") but it feels like it has less. That might be because the TA50 also has a much narrower field of view despite being lower magnification.

Oddly enough, the TA50 has stayed attached to a rifle while the TA31 has moved from gun to gun and never found a "home" in my safe. I'm actually thinking of selling it. Using Larue mounts for both, the TA50 sits just slightly lower and when I put my check on the stock and my nose to the charging handle the sight picture is just "locked in" better than with the larger optic. The TA50 is also 2/3 the weight plus uses a smaller and lighter mount and since it is more narrow the BAC thing seems to work better for me.

I've never tried any of the 2x versions but I suspect they would be a better option. I happened to get a good deal on the TA50 a long time ago and have been satisfied with it.