PDA

View Full Version : How to Change Muzzle Device on Ruger Precision 308?

Travis B
10-26-15, 10:03
Does anyone have experience changing the muzzle device on the new Ruger Precision rifles? I have a friend who wants to install a new brake and I'm curious what tools are needed for the job.

Dist. Expert 26
10-26-15, 12:30
I'm gonna venture a guess and say probably the exact same tools you would use to change a muzzle device on any other rifle...

Travis B
10-26-15, 12:31
I'm gonna venture a guess and say probably the exact same tools you would use to change a muzzle device on any other rifle...

I'll be very surprised if I can use the same AR15 receiver block...

Dist. Expert 26
10-26-15, 12:40
I'll be very surprised if I can use the same AR15 receiver block...

Ask stupid questions get stupid answers. Installing a muzzle device on a bolt action rifle only really requires a proper sized wrench. I suppose you could throw it in a vise if you really want to torque the thing down.

elephantrider
10-28-15, 02:59
What is the muzzle device he wants to install? Is there already a muzzle device installed, or is it the OEM thread protector? A barrel vice would make it a lot easier, but I think you could do it with an AR armorer's wrench and a spare set of hands. Obviously you will need a wrench, or strap wrench for the new device depending on if it has flats or not. if the device needs to be timed, I'd recommend these (http://precisionarmament.com/product/accu-washer-system/), or at least a peel washer, a crush washer would just look lame. From the picture that I can see of the RPR muzzle threading, there is a relief cut behind the threads, so no need to bevel the inside of whatever shim you do use.

Travis B
10-28-15, 04:23
He went with the surefire procomp and timed it by hand. He was able to have someone else hold it while they times it well enough for their satisfaction.

What is the muzzle device he wants to install? Is there already a muzzle device installed, or is it the OEM thread protector? A barrel vice would make it a lot easier, but I think you could do it with an AR armorer's wrench and a spare set of hands. Obviously you will need a wrench, or strap wrench for the new device depending on if it has flats or not. if the device needs to be timed, I'd recommend these (http://precisionarmament.com/product/accu-washer-system/), or at least a peel washer, a crush washer would just look lame. From the picture that I can see of the RPR muzzle threading, there is a relief cut behind the threads, so no need to bevel the inside of whatever shim you do use.

ColtSeavers
10-29-15, 01:11
Member: Travis B. Join date: 2010. Post count: 1237 (as of this post). Question: How to Change Muzzle Device on Ruger Precision 308?

Answer: Lefty Loosey, Righty Tightey

Colt guy
10-29-15, 08:23
I would use a barrel block and a vise to hold it while using a wrench on the flats. Unless it still has the threaded barrel protector on it then you will have to use a strap wrench.

If you do not have a barrel block the correct size it can be made by drilling a correctly sized hole in a hard wood " Oak is a good choice" and sawing in half and clamping in a vise.

then lefty loosey righty tighty is correct.