PDA

View Full Version : Buffer tubes.... Does brand matter

vpetrell
10-26-15, 10:52
Does brand matter with buffer tubes? I'm switching to mil spec from commercial for a new stock on my rifle. Does it matter what tube I get? Or do you get what you pay for.

VP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C4IGrant
10-26-15, 11:13
Does brand matter with buffer tubes? I'm switching to mil spec from commercial for a new stock on my rifle. Does it matter what tube I get? Or do you get what you pay for.

VP

Yes. Get a quality one like BCM, Colt, etc.

C4

jbjh
10-26-15, 11:16
If you don't know who made it, you don't know how it's made.

Go with a name that you trust, it's worth the $10-15 difference.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

vpetrell
10-26-15, 11:18
If you don't know who made it, you don't know how it's made.

Go with a name that you trust, it's worth the $10-15 difference.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

Thanks guys. That what I thought just wasn't sure on this part. It'll be worth the difference.

[emoji111]🏻️

abso
10-26-15, 11:18

C4

For some reason, I figured that the buffer tube wasn't super important and just bought a few wherever. It is now by far the most "out of spec" part I've had to deal with. Buy a quality part like Grant said (make sure its also 7075).

556BlackRifle
10-26-15, 11:41

C4

For some reason, I figured that the buffer tube wasn't super important and just bought a few wherever. It is now by far the most "out of spec" part I've had to deal with. Buy a quality part like Grant said (make sure its also 7075).

Agreed. I'll also throw the Vltor A5 system into the mix.

Leuthas
10-26-15, 11:51

C4

Agreed. I'd add that LMT, in addition to very good quality, tends to moderately oversize the circumference of their receiver extension which often reduces significantly or completely eliminates stock wobble.

Most of my ARs use an LMT RE.

Ming_the_Merciless
10-26-15, 11:55

+1, Vltor's good kit. You don't have to adopt the A5 system too, they also sell standard carbine milspec buffer tubes. What I especially like about the Vltor's are there are indexing numbers corresponding to the notch position on top that match the cut out on LMT or B5 SOPMOD stocks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/563792/vltor-carbine-receiver-extension-buffer-tube-5-position-mil-spec-diameter-ar-15-aluminum-black

Leuthas
10-26-15, 11:55

Another vote for the A5. Here's a good discussion:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?164034-The-VLTOR-A5-thread-what-doesn-t-it-work-with

henschman
10-26-15, 13:07
Make sure you get 7075 if you want it to be able to stand up to some abuse. Just being labeled "mil spec" isn't enough. If the manufacturer doesn't state the material, you can assume it's 6061. Also buy from someone who has a good reputation, so you can have some assurance that the product actually is what they say it is. I know with PSA, their 7075 is only $10 more than their 6061. That's cheap insurance for one of the most common failure points on the rifle.

fledge
10-26-15, 13:19
I'll add VSeven as another brand. They have a lightweight and a heavy duty version.

Kvjavs
10-26-15, 14:27
Make sure you get 7075 if you want it to be able to stand up to some abuse. Just being labeled "mil spec" isn't enough. If the manufacturer doesn't state the material, you can assume it's 6061. Also buy from someone who has a good reputation, so you can have some assurance that the product actually is what they say it is. I know with PSA, their 7075 is only $10 more than their 6061. That's cheap insurance for one of the most common failure points on the rifle.

Not all 7075 tubes are made alike, either. There's different manufacturing processes to get to the end result.

vpetrell
10-26-15, 15:28
How is the bcm ranked in this? I am looking into the bcm mod 0 stock and may get the whole kit from them.
Do they hold up compared to the other brands listed?

Cokie
10-26-15, 15:30
BCM is very good quality. Need to replace my no name one with a few BCMs

jaybirdritenour2
10-26-15, 15:36
BCM is great. All my rifles have LMT or BCM tubes. Both I believe are impact extruded 7075T6. Neither are forged but I think only Colts are forged. Before you say there are no forged buffer tube let me stop you. I was going to buy the forgings from a company to machine them myself for a part to sell. And the tube is known to be a forged part on a military M4. But I have yet to find anyone else who uses forged ones.

Cokie
10-26-15, 15:51
ALG claims their buffer tubes are forged and they are selling for $38 right now. I think BCM is 40

BSmith
10-26-15, 17:53
At the very least, having a decent brand name on it means that it passed through someone's idea of quality control at some point. Most companies that are known for having decent stuff won't sell complete crap.

Dstrbdmedic167
10-26-15, 19:25
I made the mistake early on thinking a buffer tube is a buffer tube. Now I using nothing but name brand tubes made from 7075 as others have mentioned. Worth the extra $$ and you save yourself a headache or two..

jaybirdritenour2
10-26-15, 19:29
ALG claims their buffer tubes are forged and they are selling for $38 right now. I think BCM is 40

ALG? Geissele's wife's company? So forged tube cut by Gessile? That might be a good product.

Steve-0-
10-26-15, 20:04
If you havent bought a tube yet, check out ours, Other than 6 posisitons vs 4, its a legit mil-spec tube.

7075-T6 Impact extruded
Type 3 Hard Anodized
Mil-Spec Diameter
6-Posistion
Dry Film Lube applied evenly (no runs)

samuse
10-26-15, 20:56
Agreed. I'd add that LMT, in addition to very good quality, tends to moderately oversize the circumference of their receiver extension which often reduces significantly or completely eliminates stock wobble.

+1. LMT extensions are, IMO, the best on the market. The buffer retaining pin slot on the extension is well designed too.

Kain
10-26-15, 21:00
+1. LMT extensions are, IMO, the best on the market. The buffer retaining pin slot on the extension is well designed too.

How so? I am curious. Am in need of a couple myself. Replace a one or two, and then there are a couple lowers that are in need of building. Though my Pseudo Recce build may end up with an A5 before all is said and done, I am not sure yet.

I will say, lower quality REs can be of questionable utility. Have one I pulled off a DPMS lower, hey that was a clue, but the cuts for the end plate are so jacked up that you can, unless you are careful, actually get the endplate to spin around, and the cut for the retaining pin looks like someone cut it with a file. This was a factory lower as best as I can tell as well.

Shao
10-26-15, 21:09

I use BCM and LMT on all of my lowers but recently picked up some 7075 REs by AAC as spares because they were on sale for like $11 apiece. I think the LMT is oversized due the thickness of the coating/anodize - I don't think that they actually machine it out-of-spec.

samuse
10-26-15, 21:12
How so? I am curious. Am in need of a couple myself. Replace a one or two, and then there are a couple lowers that are in need of building. Though my Pseudo Recce build may end up with an A5 before all is said and done, I am not sure yet.

I will say, lower quality REs can be of questionable utility. Have one I pulled off a DPMS lower, hey that was a clue, but the cuts for the end plate are so jacked up that you can, unless you are careful, actually get the endplate to spin around, and the cut for the retaining pin looks like someone cut it with a file. This was a factory lower as best as I can tell as well.

I like the buffer retaining pin slot on 'em, I like the dry film lube, they always fit a SOPMOD just right.

Iraqgunz
10-31-15, 02:00
The SIONICS receiver extension kit is made to exacting MILSPEC standard and comes standard with an H buffer.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/lower-receiver-parts/37-bolt-carrier-group-hpmpi-tested-with-np3-carrier.html

jaygee
10-31-15, 07:23
I'll always go with the Mil. Spec. tubes for any tele-stock I do. Glad to hear about the LMT being a hair bigger in diameter. For rifles I go with Colt, cuz I want and can afford 7075 T6 REs.

Thesandstonefiles
10-31-15, 12:06
Got to be honest, my commercial tube is longer than my mil-spec tube so it fits my long arms better.

I'm guessing it's not as strong though.

ouchonyee
10-31-15, 12:33
Another thing that is nice are rolled threads, I'm not sure if all 7075 tubes are this way or not..

ClearedHot
10-31-15, 15:19
Another +1 for LMT receiver extensions. Drain holes are a nice touch if you do any over-the-beach stuff with your rifle.

Joe Mamma
10-31-15, 15:55
I have to give a vote against LMT's buffer tube. While I generally like their products, I had bad luck with one of their buffer tubes and I know others who have too. The problem is that the tubes have either barely retained the buffer retaining pin or (when tightened just one revolution) interfere with the upper closing on the lower.

I agree that there are quality differences among different tubes. One of my favorites is the basic model VLTOR tube. It's impact extruded 7075 and in addition to other features, I like the numbers on the top so you can see your stock position setting (if your stock has witness holes for it).

I noticed the Sionics tube also has numbers on it, but they don't advertise that feature. I'm sure it's also good quality and for all I know, they are the same as VLTOR's.

Joe Mamma

Steve-0-
10-31-15, 16:35
I noticed the Sionics tube also has numbers on it, but they don't advertise that feature. I'm sure it's also good quality and for all I know, they are the same as VLTOR's.

Joe Mamma

That is a really old pic from when we did source Vltor tubes and must have got missed when we did the new website. I will fix it on Monday.

To be clear, Vltor is not making our extension.

sig1473
10-31-15, 18:18
+1 for LMT(2), Colt(2), VLTOR(2) & CMT buffer tubes. I have these on all my ARs. My only gripe with Colts are that they are 4-slot but that is really a moot point.

acrocat
10-31-15, 18:27
The last LMT receiver extension I bought directly from LMT is a little rough looking but it functions fine; however, the LMT receiver extension on my KAC SR15 is a thing of beauty. As far a function, the one I bought from LMT works great but I would prefer it was as nicely finished as the one on my SR15.

Clint
10-31-15, 18:48
The problem is that the tubes have either barely retained the buffer retaining pin or (when tightened just one revolution) interfere with the upper closing on the lower.

We had that with an A5 tube once.

It can happen with things stack up just right.

The replacement from VLTOR solved it.

jaybirdritenour2
10-31-15, 18:55
I might cut some in Titanium very soon for R&D. If I like how they turn out I might sell them. I know not everyone will care it's over twice as strong but some will realize it's a part that will now have even a less chance of fail. Lol. So when LAV drops the rifle out of a helicopter the buffer tube will not bend like the Daniel Defense one did.

thx997303
11-01-15, 00:31
I love the A5 system. That's what I would go with. But otherwise, be sure it's 7075-T6 and cut right.

ncshooter18
11-01-15, 06:41
Damage Industries makes a good 7075 RE.

Thesandstonefiles
11-01-15, 09:40
I might cut some in Titanium very soon for R&D. If I like how they turn out I might sell them. I know not everyone will care it's over twice as strong but some will realize it's a part that will now have even a less chance of fail. Lol. So when LAV drops the rifle out of a helicopter the buffer tube will not bend like the Daniel Defense one did.

The question is was it designed to be the weak link on purpose. As in, if it's stronger and doesn't give first will something more important break or bend first

I have no idea. Just throwing that out there.

jaybirdritenour2
11-01-15, 09:44
It's not. Both of the places that will brake render the rifle useless. The buffer tube and the back of the receiver. Both are weak points on the rifle under extreme circumstances. Both can be fixed with a stronger material with minimal weight gain for that size part. I believe it's cost that has stopped it from being done in the market. As for me, I will never believe a weapon which I trust my life to can be too well built. There are too many things that can happen which are not thought about of course unless it happens. If I buy a weapon I want to know it will be there if I need to pull the trigger till the day I decide to get rid of it. To me this would just be a step closer in that direction.

But sorry. Back on topic of what is available now. 7075T6 Forgings and Impact Extrusions are your best choice. Most of the good manufactures buy from reputable metal companies and should take measures to not over stress the metal in the machine process( If they do the work, not buy from another company). I think LMT is a great choice which is on most of my rifles to date. But so is BCM which is on the rest. But you should be good from any of the good companies out there. DD, Colt, Noveske, LMT, BCM.......

jaybirdritenour2
11-01-15, 10:50

Now that I think about it. I think was being shot by 00 Buck(simulating IED) that bent it , not the fall.