PDA

View Full Version : 134 years ago today...

titsonritz
10-26-15, 15:31
...the most famous gunfight in U.S. history occurred at the O.K. Corral (http://www.historynet.com/ok-corral).

I have always been a fan of the old west and the hard as nails people that lived during that time. They built this country and sometimes it was done at the business end of a gun.

sevenhelmet
10-26-15, 15:45
Cool historical reference, thanks.

The quality of this country (and this world) will always be defined by the struggle between independent, hard-working people, and everyone else.

ralph
10-26-15, 17:56
Googling Wyatt Earp you see he lived until 1929..I've often wondered what it was like for somebody like him, who was there in the 1870's, live long enough to see all the changes that came, airplanes, telephones, cars, electricity, etc.. About a lightyear from that corral in Tombstone..

MountainRaven
10-26-15, 18:21
Googling Wyatt Earp you see he lived until 1929..I've often wondered what it was like for somebody like him, who was there in the 1870's, live long enough to see all the changes that came, airplanes, telephones, cars, electricity, etc.. About a lightyear from that corral in Tombstone..

I have a deceased relative who came West in a wagon and lived to see Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.

ralph
10-26-15, 18:31
I have a deceased relative who came West in a wagon and lived to see Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.

That must have been utterly amazing to him..

titsonritz
10-26-15, 18:39

My high school girl friend lived with her grandparents, her grandmother was a country girl and remembered crossing Montana in a covered wagon, her grandfather was a city boy and during the '20s his barber shop was a front for a speakeasy. I loved hanging with them and listening to their stories of the good ol' days.

Moose-Knuckle
10-27-15, 01:56
My 96 year old grandfather who served in the European Theater during WWII told me once he remembered seeing Civil War Veterans on floats in a 4th of July parade when he was a kid.

SteyrAUG
10-27-15, 03:33
My 96 year old grandfather who served in the European Theater during WWII told me once he remembered seeing Civil War Veterans on floats in a 4th of July parade when he was a kid.

And in 50 years people will be amazed that "we" saw WWI veterans while they were still alive. The one that always stuck with me was my Grandmother talking about how they would constantly find arrowheads, hand axes and the like on their farm in Iowa when she was a kid. Not surprising as it had only been the space of 50 years, no more significant than us finding relics from the 1960s today. But as a kid growing up in Florida during the 80s, they might have well been from the Cretaceous.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-27-15, 08:50
History is relative to us. I think for everyone, we divide time into before us and after we were born. Kind of a Before Me and After Me. Stuff 10 years before we were born is barely different than 50 years, or even a hundred. At 44 years old, the Civil War and WWII are both history.

I remember the Martian lander sending back pictures live to my web browser in the late 90s.

soulezoo
10-27-15, 09:17

x2... they came over Donner Pass the year before the Donner Party. And named some of the features of the area (Truckee, Truckee lake-- which became Donner Lake).

Anyway, same story... the relative in question got to witness most of the 20th century and died with a horse trough still near the front door.

And those people were tough back then too. How tough? My oldest brother was born while mom was on a cattle drive. Let that sink in.

Doc Safari
10-27-15, 09:52
Supposedly out of all the gunfights Wyatt Earp fought, he never even got so much as a scratch.

OH58D
10-27-15, 13:43
Of course it didn't happen at the OK Corral. It took place in the vacant lot between Camillus Sydney Fly's Photographic Studio & boarding rooms and the Harwood House,. near the corner of Fremont and 3rd Streets. At that time in history is was called "The Street Fight".

Doc Safari
10-27-15, 13:46
Of course it didn't happen at the OK Corral. It took place in the vacant lot between Camillus Sydney Fly's Photographic Studio & boarding rooms and the Harwood House,. near the corner of Fremont and 3rd Streets. At that time in history is was called "The Street Fight".

I've been to Tombstone and they have tried to preserve/restore that area as much as possible. It's basically an alley where the horses were stalled while the riders were in town.