PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 24 inch barrel

Slwrthnu
10-26-15, 20:11
Saw a company out of Daytona at the Tampa gun show this past weekend and they had a 24 inch bull and 24 inch fluted barrel on one of their uppers. I'll post a link below for you guys to check it out. But do any of you guys have a similar set up you can give me a little insight on. It's currently on sale from $699 to $389. Before the bashing begins on quality,etc, it's more or less just for something to put on a spare lower I have to have a little fun and switch it up with at the range.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

http://daytonatactical.com/collections/ar15-rifle-uppers-16-and-longer/products/24-fluted-1x9-with-15-inch-ultra-light-keymod-rail-with-bcg-and-charging-handle

Molon
10-26-15, 20:27
. . . it's more or less just for something to put on a spare lower I have to have a little fun and switch it up with at the range.

For that purpose (and others) a 24" barrel is just fine. You get equivalent velocities of 5.56mm loads from a 20" barrel using 223 Remington ammunition and the least amount of muzzle blast. A quality 24" barrel can do this . . .

https://app.box.com/shared/static/c3nj830tjxcph7zq8vm7.jpg

Kain
10-26-15, 20:28
First, that bitch going to be heavy. I have a rifle with a 20 inch bull barrel, an RRA, pretty much got paid to take it so that is why I have it. Accurate, but unless I am worried about the smallest groups possible it really isn't so much more accurate than my 16s, if at all. The shorter rifles just don't get as power glass on them, with the highest magnified option on them being a 4x ACOG opposed to a 12x variable.

Also, the only reason a 24 inch barrel makes sense to me for an AR is if you are throwing rounds really damn far and trying to do so accurately, which a cheap barreled upper doesn't make sense for in my opinion. For 100 or 200 meters, 16 inch is likely more than adequate.

Now, with that said, you get what you pay for. I know, I know, it cheap, you know it isn't quality, or as good of quality, and that it is a range toy, ect, ect. But, in the long run, is saving a couple bucks on a rifle really worth it? I personally don't think so. I have cheap junk guns, anymore, I save up and buy exactly the damn gun, part, light, or accessory I want. I am much happier doing that, and I find that in the long run it is either cheaper, either in money, or at the very least, in headaches.

ETA:
Random question. I am assuming that the upper is a rifle gas system, but I don't see anything, at least glancing through, that states one way or the other. Mild concern there.
Also, when I first heard Bull barrel, I thought stainless steel. Looking at the description looks to be chrome moly. For a cheap rifle barrel, chrome moly doesn't bother me much, but I would argue that generally stainless barrels are considered more accurate. Still going to stay with my initial thought and say go with a known quality upper/barrel, even if it does cost a little more, you'll likely be happier in the long run.

Colt guy
10-26-15, 20:29
One of my rifles is a Colt Hbar elite with a 24 inch barrel. I have own it for a number of years, in fact I use a pick of it for my

There is no accurate advantage of having that long of barrel and a velocity advantage is not worth the weight.

I would suggest if you are seeking a accurate barrel look toward Shilen or some other benchrest quality barrel maker.

I wished I had.

Slwrthnu
10-26-15, 21:22
Yeah it's gas. I'm all for quality but it's more or less a trial and if I enjoy having a longer barreled AR I can go from there where if I'm not as much of a fan as I thought I'd be I would only be out a few hundred dollars instead of at least almost a grand for a nicer setup. See where I'm going? Just came across it and struck an idea. It'll be mounted to an Anderson lower I bought on a whim at the show as well, going nowhere near my spare Seekins lol

Slwrthnu
10-26-15, 21:35
Appreciate the input though guys. I need to stop impulse buying and just stick with what I've got for now and do a little more research before I pull the trigger now that I'm thinking more about it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
10-26-15, 21:46
If you plan to use your AR on a p-dog town that 24" bbl assuming it is a good barrel could be a lot of fun. Otherwise I'd most likely pass on it.

Slwrthnu
10-26-15, 21:58
If you plan to use your AR on a p-dog town that 24" bbl assuming it is a good barrel could be a lot of fun. Otherwise I'd most likely pass on it.
It's just going to be a range gun really. I have plenty other caliber rifles for the long distance range here but I just wanted something different. Can only shoot my 30-06 so many times before it gets boring. Been hunting with it since I was 15 haha. The AR platform never gets old to me though so I figured I'd give it a go

Coal Dragger
10-26-15, 23:33
Well put another way:

Can you afford it? If yes proceed to next question.

Would this be your only AR? If no, proceed to next question.

Would you enjoy it or have fun with it? If yes, then buy it.

Shooting as a hobby for the sake of having fun is acceptable. Not everything has to geared towards tacti-cool ninja bad-assery. Others may disagree.

Eurodriver
10-27-15, 06:25
Florida never disappoints...

Auto-X Fil
10-27-15, 06:39
My father-in-law has a heavy 24" Stag AR. It's real dumb. With very light fast bullets I get another 150fps over a 20", but with 77gr it's more like 75fps extra velocity. It's so front-heavy that it's darned near un-useable. It wants to tip forward on a darn bipod.

If I was building a dedicated varmint rifle and wanted max velocity so I wouldn't need to dial wind or drop, I'd go .204 in 20".

If you're shooting 1000yd from the bench, an AR doesn't make any sense - 1k bullets can't be loaded to mag length, so why build a massive, heavy, single-shot AR? If you're moving and shooting and just want to maybe reach out to 800-1k, the extra barrel isn't for you anyway.

I'm not a big AR-10 guy, but his 20" .308 DPMS out-shoots the 24" 5.56 at any range, and is much lighter and shorter. Heck, so is an M1A.

Slwrthnu
10-27-15, 07:00
My father-in-law has a heavy 24" Stag AR. It's real dumb. With very light fast bullets I get another 150fps over a 20", but with 77gr it's more like 75fps extra velocity. It's so front-heavy that it's darned near un-useable. It wants to tip forward on a darn bipod.

If I was building a dedicated varmint rifle and wanted max velocity so I wouldn't need to dial wind or drop, I'd go .204 in 20".

If you're shooting 1000yd from the bench, an AR doesn't make any sense - 1k bullets can't be loaded to mag length, so why build a massive, heavy, single-shot AR? If you're moving and shooting and just want to maybe reach out to 800-1k, the extra barrel isn't for you anyway.

I'm not a big AR-10 guy, but his 20" .308 DPMS out-shoots the 24" 5.56 at any range, and is much lighter and shorter. Heck, so is an M1A.

I already have a few 16 inch and18 inch barreled AR'S. Was toying with the idea of going longer. Think I'd be better off stepping up to a 20 from an 18 or would I not see much of a difference. Not trying to shoot 500 yards or anything the outdoor range I just joined only goes to 250. I was more or less looking to use that upper to slap together a little range toy with no practical use, have plenty other calibers that'll reach out and touch just wanted to stick with an AR platform

Auto-X Fil
10-27-15, 07:16
There's nothing at all to be gained at 250yd on the range from the extra barrel. All things equal, a shorter barrel is more accurate than a long one, because it's stiffer for the same profile, and also because it's easier to keep tolerances over a shoter length. The reason people use longer barrels is for velocity, which is needed to buck the wind and keep the bullet supersonic at long ranges. If you're not shooting 90gr bullets, 24" is wasted.

I like an ~18" barrel for 250yd 5.56 precision use. That's about where extra length stops giving much added velocity, and a medium-heavy profile is still plenty stiff enough to shoot just about any ammo well.

If you don't own a real tack-driving barrel, grab an 18-20" stainless match barrel and assemble an upper with an optic like a Leupold Mark-AR. Those make really satisfying range toys. I've built a couple on White Oak barrels for family members, and they are about the most forgiving rifles we have for rapid, precise hits at <300yd. The tight chambers also shoot just about any precision bullet loaded to mag length really well. There's a pretty significant difference between a combat-ready gun and a match gun - tighter tolerances and chambers are a bit less forgiving of being run dry and dirty, but really help snug those groups up.

Slwrthnu
10-27-15, 07:28
The last build I put together has a BA Hanson 18 inch stainless in .223 wylde which is a pretty solid barrel it'll do the job. Guess I'll have to put a scope on it and try before I buy. Really appreciate the help bud

Auto-X Fil
10-27-15, 07:30
Oh yeah, that will absolutely do it. Time to spend money on glass. Good scopes make or break precision builds, so don't cheap out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade04
10-27-15, 07:50
Saw a company out of Daytona at the Tampa gun show this past weekend and they had a 24 inch bull and 24 inch fluted barrel on one of their uppers. I'll post a link below for you guys to check it out. But do any of you guys have a similar set up you can give me a little insight on. It's currently on sale from $699 to $389. Before the bashing begins on quality,etc, it's more or less just for something to put on a spare lower I have to have a little fun and switch it up with at the range.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

http://daytonatactical.com/collections/ar15-rifle-uppers-16-and-longer/products/24-fluted-1x9-with-15-inch-ultra-light-keymod-rail-with-bcg-and-charging-handle

With the price being what it is and how you are wanting to use the upper, I would say to get it. It would give you loads of fun at the range.

Live2Gun
10-27-15, 10:57
I'm with a couple of the others here, and saying buy it. It is cheap enough and it's worth a shot. If you already have an 18" that's pretty good, then you won't see much difference in a 20". Some will argue that going to a 24" isn't much of a difference from 20" though either. I have a 24" Stag like another poster here but find it nowhere as bad as his experiences. Mine, while it is heavy, isn't front heavy at all on a bipod. I shoot alot of Prarie Dogs, and live on the plains so I have alot of open area around. So for me a 24" with the extra velocity makes sense.

If all you are wanting is a range toy weight should not be an issue. It's the old saying "Right tool for the right job". I wouldn't grab my 24" Bull barrel if I have to walk for miles or carry it to wherever some must carry their guns to go shooting. It is shot off a bench or from prone in pastures, it's intended purpose. My Aunt who is about 105 lbs and 5 ft nothing has run my 24" bull with no problems at all from a bench. So use it how it's meant to be used and weight is a non issue.

I definitely don't regret buying my 24". I like mine so much I am actually going to be putting together one that is of a little higher quality. My Stag is good enough for sure, I would just like to try out a higher quality line of match barrels.

Auto-X Fil
10-27-15, 11:26
To be fair, I should note the Stag is plenty accurate. To tell the difference between that and any of my match-grade guns requires slow, careful shooting from sandbags on a calm day. It also has an excellent trigger; the best I've used short of a Geissele or JP.

I guess my only issue is that I've built two guns for the same money with 18" barrels that will do all the exact same things, and weigh 2lb less, making them hugely more versatile.

HelloLarry
10-28-15, 14:56
Barrels are consumables. Shoot it until you burn it out, replace, repeat. :smile:

Slwrthnu
10-28-15, 16:33
Barrels are consumables. Shoot it until you burn it out, replace, repeat. [emoji2]
Kind of what I was thinking. I'm looking into other routes but on the other hand can't find many reviews about daytona tactical