PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper PST 1-4

a1madrid
10-27-15, 14:04
Hey so this optic has had my eye now for quite some time now. Do any of you all have experience with it? How far out can you be effective with it? One thing that I love is the glass is super super clear and I like the MOA reticle. Any opinions on the optic would be great thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C4IGrant
10-27-15, 14:05
Hey so this optic has had my eye now for quite some time now. Do any of you all have experience with it? How far out can you be effective with it? One thing that I love is the glass is super super clear and I like the MOA reticle. Any opinions on the optic would be great thanks.

I have used one, but normally run the HD version. They are a good value I think.

We offer M4C member discount on Vortex optics so drop us a line when you are ready to buy.

C4

a1madrid
10-27-15, 14:08
I have used one, but normally run the HD version. They are a good value I think.

We offer M4C member discount on Vortex optics so drop us a line when you are ready to buy.

C4

Thank you I really appreciate it. How much of a discount is it?

C4IGrant
10-27-15, 14:10
Thank you I really appreciate it. How much of a discount is it?

Enough to make it worth your time. :-)

C4

a1madrid
10-27-15, 14:13
Enough to make it worth your time. :-)

C4

Hahaha thank you :) I work for a local gun shop where I live and we are a Vortex dealer so we can get 50% off MSRP so I was just wondering how it would compare to that.

C4IGrant
10-27-15, 14:15
Hahaha thank you :) I work for a local gun shop where I live and we are a Vortex dealer so we can get 50% off MSRP so I was just wondering how it would compare to that.

Probably not any better than dealer pricing.

C4

a1madrid
10-27-15, 14:19
Probably not any better than dealer pricing.

C4

No worries. Thanks for the information though. I am probably going to buy it but have no experience with using a magnified optic on an AR and I was mainly just wondering how far out can one be effective with a quality 1-4 optic like this one.

C4IGrant
10-27-15, 14:21
No worries. Thanks for the information though. I am probably going to buy it but have no experience with using a magnified optic on an AR and I was mainly just wondering how far out can one be effective with a quality 1-4 optic like this one.

Pretty far (300-400yds for sure).

If you can get these at dealer cost, then I would probably upgrade to the HD 1-4 or the HD II 1-6.

Get a good cantilever mount (Bobro, etc) for it.

C4

a1madrid
10-27-15, 14:29
Pretty far (300-400yds for sure).

If you can get these at dealer cost, then I would probably upgrade to the HD 1-4 or the HD II 1-6.

Get a good cantilever mount (Bobro, etc) for it.

C4

Right now as far as mounts go I am looking at one also from Vortex. It is their quick release 30mm mount. I believe it is an ADM mount with a Vortex logo slapped on it.

Outlander Systems
10-27-15, 18:02
Bobro is the current manufacturer of the QD mounts for Vortex.

The older QD mounts were ADM.

I just picked up a Viper, and the glass is stellar. Grant, I had no idea you dealt in Vortex products.

I will keep that in mind for future upgrades.

C4IGrant
10-28-15, 12:57
Bobro is the current manufacturer of the QD mounts for Vortex.

The older QD mounts were ADM.

I just picked up a Viper, and the glass is stellar. Grant, I had no idea you dealt in Vortex products.

I will keep that in mind for future upgrades.

Sounds good. We are stocking a lot of their products (low end and high end to include binocs and spotting scopes).

C4

HCM
12-26-15, 15:15
Hi bumping this instead of starting a new thread. I received a Viper 1-4 (MOA) for Christmas. I love the glass and reticle. My only concern is it it's the model with exposed turrets. I won't be dialing dope on a 1-4 and I'm worried about them getting bumped etc.

Is this a legit concern ?

Is it worth the trouble to exchange or trade it for the capped version ?

HCM
12-26-15, 15:15
Hi bumping this instead of starting a new thread. I received a Viper 1-4 (MOA) for Christmas. I love the glass and reticle. My only concern is it it's the model with exposed turrets. I won't be dialing dope on a 1-4 and I'm worried about them getting bumped etc.

TaterTot
12-26-15, 15:32
You should be fine. I run exposed turrets on several guns. And through handling, bouncing around in the truck, and walking around in heavy brush I have never had any issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

signal4l
12-26-15, 18:04
I have one with capped turrets. I like it. Very clear optic. Battery life could be better. I see no need for target turrets with a 1-4

Phx31
12-26-15, 18:22
I got the 1-4 with exposed turrets on my patrol rifle with a P.EP.R mount for a coue years now. Love the set as I can run it damn near as good as a red dot but can dial up the magnafcation if need be.

As far as the exposes turrets, I wish I would have got the capped, but only because my rifle sits in the back of my patrol car in a bag and every now and again, when I have to deploy it, the turrets have moved, not alot, but still, a few clicks here and there.

Only draw back that you might find is weight when compared to a red dot.

Oh and can ring steel all day at 300 with it. Its a solid scope.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

farmhard
12-26-15, 18:59

Yes they will get bumped off, I had it happen several times on the exposed turret 1x4 I had. The scope adjustments were always true but if I didn't remember what revolution I was on it was a pain to return to zero. I was able to trade it for a capped version and have never looked back. Imo the capped turret pst 1x4 is the only way to go it you are using it for a defensive optic.

JackFanToM
12-26-15, 21:43
I have one, and have it set up on a LaRue QD mount. The only common concern I hear is regarding the weight, and it is an honest concern. The way I have it set up currently, weight wasn't a major priority...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1n9pdq6eyf9yga/2015-01-25%2015.37.10.jpg?dl=0

On the pro sides, clear glass, excellent FOV, knob illumination vs push button, off as every other position on the illumination, true 1x, etc. I think it is a HIGH value 1 x 4 optic.

littlejerry
12-28-15, 21:41
I've had a MOA model with exposed turrets since August. Great scope.

I had intended to get the capped version out of paranoia over bumping the turrets. When I found a deal on a used one a snatched it up despite it having exposed turrets. I've actually started using them pretty frequently. Recently I went shooting on a 600 yard range and was very glad I could simply dial in the extra elevation to get on target at 600. The scope is far more useful at long range than I ever expected; 300 yards is boringly easy and you can really reach out to 500/600 with the right ammo.

I feel very slow up close compared to irons. This is my first 1x variable so I think I need some more practice.

All in all very happy and would definitely purchase again. I may end up getting one of their 2.5-10 models for a bolt gun.