PDA

View Full Version : Question on Selling / Shipping a firearm

Arik
10-27-15, 14:31
Hoping you guys can help me out. I sold a old Mosin rifle. The buyer sent me money and later emailed the C&R. I didn't bother to read the whole email, just looked and checked to make sure the C&R license was legit. Now I went to print it out and realized he's asking to ship to a different address from the one provided in the C&R license. I'm 99.99% positive that this is a no go but wanted to double check

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tb-av
10-27-15, 14:51
FFLs can receive at different addresses.

I wouldn't do it in your situation because you have no way of knowing if someone got a copy of someone's FLL or what.

I think it's legal though provided he is the actual FFL and he will actually be receiving it. It's not like you can log into a system and record the fact you are transferring to his FFL. So you would be liable for any 'proof' that things went to him... How you would do that, I don't know.

Arik
10-27-15, 15:15
It seems like it's him. The email was sent from his job and has the company logo and info on the bottom and I doubt anyone is going to forge that kind of thing for a 1925 Mosin that's seen better decades. But still ......messing with the feds is not on my to do list

tb-av
10-27-15, 15:44
Di dyou look at his papers closely and see if they have a home address and mailing address. It can. Also there is an ATF document that says an FFL can mail to any address but should try to verify that it is legit... So I would say you probably have done that. You can also look at his email and trace the IP address back and it may also locate back to that area... it may or may not.

I suppose you could just call the ATF.

See this page 6... it still doesn't apply directly to you if you are not FFL.
https://www.atf.gov/file/4256/download

Google the addresses and see if they look like legit. If the mailing 2.5 hours from his home I would be concerned. If it' 20 minutes away, it's probably legit. If the mailing looks like it's in the project's I would pass.

Arik
10-27-15, 15:59
Right! It says "FFL can mail to any address" I'm not an FFL.

There is only one address on the license.

I Googled both and both seem to be residential

I did see that mom but it's a decade old. I don't know if anything has been changed since.

When I called the ATF license branch they said ....must ship to address on license .

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing and I appreciate the help but I think I'm going to err on the side of caution

SteyrAUG
10-27-15, 16:25
To the best of my understanding both FFLs and C&Rs can only receive firearms shipped to the licensed premise.

True many FFLs have a mailing address such as a PO box for correspondence. But firearms can only go to the licensed address. This is why you have to get the physical address when shipping guns for warranty work, etc.

This is also why you have to have a physical location to be a FFL and can't run a firearms business from Mailboxes, etc and the UPS store.

Renegade
10-27-15, 16:43
Hoping you guys can help me out. I sold a old Mosin rifle. The buyer sent me money and later emailed the C&R. I didn't bother to read the whole email, just looked and checked to make sure the C&R license was legit. Now I went to print it out and realized he's asking to ship to a different address from the one provided in the C&R license. I'm 99.99% positive that this is a no go but wanted to double check

Nothing in law requires you to only ship to license address. In fact, you do not even need to see his license at all.

Arik
10-27-15, 16:46
Nothing in law requires you to only ship to license address. In fact, you do not even need to see his license at all.
I ment ffl license

Renegade
10-27-15, 16:48
I ment ffl license

The answer does not change. You are not required to see his license, much less ship to the address on it.

Arik
10-27-15, 16:48
So I should just take his word for it?

SurplusShooter
10-27-15, 16:49

Renegade
10-27-15, 16:51
So I should just take his word for it?

That is up to you to decide.

I need to send a gun to Glock, I call them up, they tell me an address, I send it there, no problem.

Why not call him and ask to explain why different address? Go from there. My guess is he is not home to receive it, or is on vacation somewhere else.

Arik
10-27-15, 16:52
I am not a lawyer, but....
I would not send. The fact that they are asking you to send to another address (other than the licensee) sounds fishy, and if anything bad happens, the hammer drops on you (the seller/sender).

Danger Will Robinson, danger!.
I called the ATF and confirmed the license and address. It's legit. I'm sending it to the address on the ffl .....all good on my part. Told him that's what I'll be doing

Renegade
10-27-15, 16:52
I am not a lawyer, but....
I would not send. The fact that they are asking you to send to another address (other than the licensee) sounds fishy, and if anything bad happens, the hammer drops on you (the seller/sender).

^ this.

No it is not fishy at all. It is common if not a retailer.

Moose-Knuckle
10-28-15, 00:49
"When in doubt . . ."