PDA

View Full Version : Shot Lock AR Solo Vault Initial Impressions

Auto-X Fil
10-29-15, 07:03
At some point I may write a detailed post in Tactics about why I secure my weapons the way I do. This thread, however, is merely a review of the latest product I've used, the Shot-Lock AR Solo-Vault. I don't normally do product reviews, but there's an extreme lack of unbiased information out there on this.

This "Vault" is essentially the carbine equivalent of one of the numerous quick-access handgun boxes on the market. It provides a level of security sufficient to stop curious children, and to prevent a home invader from quickly snatching a weapon and turning it against you and your family. Even someone familiar with the design of this unit would need a noisy minute or two with power tools to access the weapon. Hopefully everyone understands that this is NOT equivalent to storing your firearm in a proper safe, and is not going to prevent a burglar with a few minutes and some basic tools from leaving with your weapon.

I was a bit disappointed when I opened the box, as the opening knob had come undone and I needed to completely disassemble the locking mechanism to replace the knob, which is fastened with a circlip. It came in a damaged box from Amazon and I'm sure this happened in-transit and it would have been replaced without question had I asked. But, in ten minutes I not only had it repaired, but had a better understanding of the inner workings. It's a simple, robust mechanical combination lock, and a sliding bar that latches the door in place at the top and bottom.

Once I got it back together, I mounted it. Mounting is easy, with a number of holes that can be used. There's also an adjustable grip rest to customize the fit a bit. The marketing information claims the door is reversible, but the AR model is NOT, unless you just flip it over and hang it upside down. It's still secure this way, but you'd have to hold the gun in place as you open and close it. The shotgun versions have internal pieces that can be moved around to allow mounting either way. The magazine on the AR-15 prevents this.

Here it is, mounted. Note that with the forward assist clearing the bottom of the slot, the entire rail is exposed. A carry handle or optic would fit easily. However, an optic like a scope that extends forward of the barrel nut will NOT fit. You can slide the gun down another inch, as the forward assist will fit inside, but it closes easier this way. I'll be running an Aimpoint Micro T1 or H1, mounted to the receiver, so it won't be an issue for me.

http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_5090.JPG

Notice that the BCM angled grip (KAG) fits easily. A vertical grip would fit as well, if it was forward enough to clear the box, or very stubby. For the most part, rail-mounted lights and other accessories will end up outside the box, so clearance isn't an issue there.

Finally, note there is a bit of storage space inside. A second mag could be set on the platform behind the one attached to the gun (or two detached magazines could be stacked there, with the gun empty), and there's room below for a hand-held light or maybe a flash-bang for the true HD Ninja.

http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_5091.JPG

A closer view, with the locking mechanism visible. To open, you simply punch in the combination, and turn the knob. It's pretty darned fast, just a few seconds.

http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_5092.JPG

Overall, I think this is a great alternative for people like me who don't have quick access to their normal safe, and don't want to leave a firearm out unsecured. It's a very slight impediment to user-access, and a very substantial impediment to children and unauthorized adults.

It's $200, which seems a little steep for what it is, but I guess it's a small market. The shotgun versions sell for $120-140, and the handgun models can be found for $100. There is nothing special about the AR unit, and I don't see how it could cost a penny more to produce than the others.

HCrum87hc
10-29-15, 11:47
Thanks for the reviews and pictures. I'm contemplating something like this that is quick access, but will keep my future children out. I've also looked at something like the tactical wall shelves that have the hidden compartment that folds down from the bottom of the shelf. This has definitely given me some more info that, as you said, isn't really out there.

acnewman55
10-31-15, 10:30
Very helpful thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Cid
10-31-15, 20:27
I bought one a couple weeks ago. My biggest hurdle is finding where I want it mounted. Great write up!

3ACR_Scout
05-21-16, 19:38
Thanks for pointing out this review in the other AR closet storage discussion. Great photos and information - thanks a lot for sharing. I definitely understand the trade off in security. I think anything more secure than this would be too slow to access in an emergency. If I was really concerned, I would only store it this way while I was home and would put it back in the safe when I leave the house.

A couple follow up questions: I'm curious how many mounting holes it provided for you to screw it into a stud in this vertical position. It looks like there are enough so you could span two studs if it was mounted horizontally, but maybe it's not wide enough. Just curious, for potentially planning where to put one.

How far from the wall does it hold the rifle? I.e. how much space is there for a side-mounted weapon light in the 11 o'clock position? Thanks!

Dave

Auto-X Fil
05-21-16, 19:49
There are six holes. It will not span 16" studs in either orientation, but mounts quite solidly to one stud with the heavy lag bolts provided.

I have since moved mine to a new location, and ended up welding a couple pieces of flat steel to the back to mount it. You could also bolt the vault to some steel or wood and then use that to mount it.

Similarly, you could use something behind it to space it from the wall and give you room for a light. I was able to fit a Surefire in a ring mount at 10:30 on the KMR shown with no spacing, but a large light might not clear. If you do space it out, using a piece of solid material behind the entire back (vs just using washers or something around the mounting points) would make it harder to pry it off. Although, this is certainly more of a kid-proofing thing, or making sure an intruder doesn't shoot you with your own gun, rather than anything to stop a thief with some time to kill in your house.

3ACR_Scout
05-21-16, 20:29
Thanks for the quick feedback. I've got a Scout on BCM's Keymod mount on my KMR, so it sounds like I might have enough room. If I go this route, which looks pretty good to me, I'd definitely prefer to mount it without a spacer to make it a little harder to pry off. It does seem a little expensive compared to their other models, but it looks like a solid design.

Have you mounted a T1 on it? I was wondering if you have have to slide the optic out of the opening in the case or if the cover will open fully and clear the T1 as it swings open. Just looking at the width of the opening, it looks like the opening might be a little narrow to clear a tall optic.

Thanks again!

Dave

Auto-X Fil
05-22-16, 01:58
Yes, it clears a T1 easily.

diving dave
05-22-16, 09:36
Thanks for that review, I've been toying with the idea of something like this for awhile.

03rone
09-01-16, 01:11
Sorry to revive this, but this info is very helpful as I am thinking about this product for the same reasons you had. I was wondering if there is enough room inside if the AR had a redimag or if the box would close properly with two coupled magazines. I live in a 15rd limit state having 30 on the rifle for HD gives me more peace of mind.

Auto-X Fil
09-01-16, 05:53
I don't have a Redi-mag to try, but I just stuck a second mag against the left side of the one in the gun, and it closed easily, even with the sling behind them as well. I don't think you'll have any issues with the Redi-mag.

03rone
09-01-16, 17:47
I don't have a Redi-mag to try, but I just stuck a second mag against the left side of the one in the gun, and it closed easily, even with the sling behind them as well. I don't think you'll have any issues with the Redi-mag.
Thank you sir! Your review and response is greatly appreciated.