PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Class Action Settlement

WillBrink
10-30-15, 12:09
More Taurus win....not.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., Oct. 14, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The following statement is being issued by Morris, Haynes, Wheeles, Knowles & Nelson and Bailey & Glasser LLP (Class Counsel); and Smith, Gambrell, & Russell, LLP (Taurus Counsel) regarding the Taurus Pistol settlement.

If You Own a Taurus Pistol A Settlement Has Been Proposed in a Class Action Lawsuit that Alleges Safety Defects

The Settlement Provides an Enhanced Warranty, Safety Training, and a Cash Payment for Returned Pistols

The United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida authorized this notice.

WHAT'S THIS ABOUT?

There is a proposed class action settlement about alleged safety defects in certain Taurus-branded pistols. This lawsuit alleges that Class Pistols (defined below) may unintentionally fire with the safety in the "on" or "safe" position, and may unintentionally fire when dropped or bumped. The Taurus Companies1 ("Taurus") stand by the Class Pistols and deny all allegations of wrongdoing and liability.

WHO'S INCLUDED?

You may be a Settlement Class Member and have rights under this settlement if you are a resident or entity of the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, or Guam and own one or more of the following Taurus-branded firearms on July 30, 2015: PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT-609; PT-640; and PT-24/7 (the "Class Pistols").2 The settlement doesn't include Taurus G2 model pistols.

WHAT DOES THE SETTLEMENT PROVIDE?

Settlement Class Members may return their Class Pistol to Taurus (with shipping paid by Taurus) and receive up to $200 per pistol, depending on the total number returned, not to exceed $30 million. The exact payment amount will be determined after the return deadline has passed and the exact number of returned Class Pistols is known. If you return your Class Pistol for a payment, it will not be returned to you even if the payment is less than you want.

Also, Taurus will provide a free, transferrable lifetime enhanced warranty that will allow owners to submit warranty claims at any time. Taurus will pay shipping and inspection costs, and will repair or replace the pistol as necessary. Taurus will also provide safety training to all Settlement Class Members. Taurus will pay for notice and administration, a class representative award of up to $15,000, and Class Counsels' attorneys' fees and costs up to $9 million, payable over 4 years.

HOW DO YOU ASK FOR A PAYMENT?

You must submit a claim form and return your Class Pistol to receive a payment. Shipping is prepaid by Taurus. You can only submit a claim form after the settlement is finally approved and any appeals are concluded. This date is not yet known. You may register now through the website to get information about when you can submit a claim form. Visit the website to determine when you can submit a claim. If the Court approves the settlement and there are no appeals, the claims period will run from approximately February 24, 2016 until June 23, 2016.

Bulletdog
10-30-15, 18:26
Even more glad I don't have any of their guns now…

Thanks for the notice.

SeriousStudent
10-30-15, 20:37
This is fascinating news to me. I was unaware Taurus actually manufactured firearms.

You learn something every day on this website.

Kain
10-30-15, 20:41
Wait? Taurus makes junk? Who knew!

On a serious note, didn't they have a 90+K, yes a nine followed by five zeros, gun recall in Brazil a couple years back because if you shook the guns too hard they'd fire? Who didn't see/suspect something like this wouldn't be coming here?

SteyrAUG
10-30-15, 20:55
Never been a fan of their autos, but they did make acceptable revolvers way back when. Of course I'd rather spend the few extra bucks to upgrade to a Ruger revolver.

titsonritz
10-30-15, 21:14
Never been a fan of their autos, but they did make acceptable revolvers way back when. Of course I'd rather spend the few extra bucks to upgrade to a Ruger revolver.

Or a few more bucks and get a real S&W instead of a cheap Brazilian copy. But yeah their autos suck.

Moose-Knuckle
10-30-15, 23:54
What?! This is horrible news, just horrible!

I was SO looking forward to getting the new Curve under the tree this year . . .

:jester:

wildcard600
10-31-15, 00:18
This is my surpised face.

:-|

SteyrAUG
10-31-15, 00:40
Or a few more bucks and get a real S&W instead of a cheap Brazilian copy. But yeah their autos suck.

Much as I love old P&R's there is more than a "few bucks" difference between Ruger and S&W. If even I have unlimited funds, I will have one hell of a vintage S&W collection. They are perhaps the most beautiful production revolvers this country has ever made.

Firefly
10-31-15, 01:26
Yep. I like my modest snake revolver but ultimately the Smith is overall better. I still want a 1917. A model 67. And so forth.

Aside from Single Sixes, the only Ruger Revolver I thought was pretty was the Super Redhawk.

Moose-Knuckle
10-31-15, 01:36
I always thought the Ruger Birdshead Vaqueros were a thing of beauty.

SteyrAUG
10-31-15, 01:40
Yep. I like my modest snake revolver but ultimately the Smith is overall better. I still want a 1917. A model 67. And so forth.

Aside from Single Sixes, the only Ruger Revolver I thought was pretty was the Super Redhawk.

Not sure if it's pretty, but I like my SP101.

SteyrAUG
10-31-15, 01:41
I always thought the Ruger Birdshead Vaqueros were a thing of beauty.

Actually several of their classic "six guns" were pretty nice looking. Forgot about those.

Leaveammoforme
10-31-15, 04:07
So, let me get this right.

A person can send in a pistol postage paid (whoopty freakin' do). They may receive up to $200 at some point in the future. "No thanks, send me back my pistol" is not even an option.

But don't despair, there is 9 millon set aside for those poor struggling legal counsels. Will you please go to their site and sign up? You can help a firm in need today. Be the difference.

Classy.

I'm all for Freedom Group getting a black eye but, not like this.

This actually reeks like a fed gun buy back.

ETA- It was late when I typed this out. Hence the incorrect Freedom Group reference and the conspiracy theory.

WillBrink
10-31-15, 07:20
This is fascinating news to me. I was unaware Taurus actually manufactured firearms.

You learn something every day on this website.

They manufacturer expensive door stops. Some times they go boom, some times they don't.

titsonritz
10-31-15, 10:57
What?! This is horrible news, just horrible!

I was SO looking forward to getting the new Curve under the tree this year . . .

:jester:

WTF were they thinking with that turd?

Bulletdog
10-31-15, 11:56

Many years ago when I wanted a revolver I looked at the Taurus as a cheaper alternative. What killed it for me was they had those little key locks where someone could lock the action and render the gun inoperable. That alone was a deal killer for me. Just more moving parts that could fail. I went with the Ruger GP100 as an acceptable alternative to the more expensive Colts and S&Ws.

Mind you, this was long before I'd even taken my first class, or had much of a clue about anything gun related. At that point I only knew what I had learned in the LGS, and as you can imagine, that wasn't much. Still, even in my most ignorant of times, I didn't find the Taurus "acceptable".

Waylander
10-31-15, 13:44
So, let me get this right.

A person can send in a pistol postage paid (whoopty freakin' do). They may receive up to $200 at some point in the future. "No thanks, send me back my pistol" is not even an option.

But don't despair, there is 9 millon set aside for those poor struggling legal counsels. Will you please go to their site and sign up? You can help a firm in need today. Be the difference.

Classy.

I'm all for Freedom Group getting a black eye but, not like this.

This actually reeks like a fed gun buy back.

It sounded that way to me at first but unless I'm reading this wrong, in addition to the sum of <= $200 per person, the training class and enhanced warranty, the person would get the pistol back after Taurus inspects and repairs or replaces it. I think the meaning of the person not being able to have the pistol returned midstream is because Taurus isn't going to send back a potentially defective pistol.

Ryno12
10-31-15, 13:58
It sounded that way to me at first but unless I'm reading this wrong, in addition to the sum of <= $200 per person, the training class and enhanced warranty, the person would get the pistol back after Taurus inspects and repairs or replaces it. I think the meaning of the person not being able to have the pistol returned midstream is because Taurus isn't going to send back a potentially defective pistol.

I think it's two separate deals. You can turn in your gun within a certain timeframe and get $200 or keep it & they'll inspect it and provide a lifetime warranty.

I'll see if I can find the link that explained it in more detail.

Ryno12
10-31-15, 14:05
Never mind. I think you are right.
The wording sure is crappy.

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/56320-gun-maker-taurus-reaches-30m-class-action-settlement-over-trigger-defect/

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/39-million-settlement-taurus-pistols-models-unsafe/

SomeOtherGuy
10-31-15, 14:32
WHAT DOES THE SETTLEMENT PROVIDE?

Settlement Class Members may return their Class Pistol to Taurus (with shipping paid by Taurus) and receive up to $200 per pistol, depending on the total number returned, not to exceed $30 million. The exact payment amount will be determined after the return deadline has passed and the exact number of returned Class Pistols is known. If you return your Class Pistol for a payment, it will not be returned to you even if the payment is less than you want.

Also, Taurus will provide a free, transferrable lifetime enhanced warranty that will allow owners to submit warranty claims at any time. Taurus will pay shipping and inspection costs, and will repair or replace the pistol as necessary. Taurus will also provide safety training to all Settlement Class Members. Taurus will pay for notice and administration, a class representative award of up to $15,000, and Class Counsels' attorneys' fees and costs up to $9 million, payable over 4 years.

#1, most of those pistols sold new for a lot more than $200, and your typical Taurus buyer doesn't shoot much, so this is rather insulting.

#2, Taurus already had a lifetime warranty to the first owner on all pistols. This is just making it transferable and maybe paying some shipping costs. Taurus reputedly does not have good warranty service, although I've never tried to use it.

Funny how many of the pistols being recalled got glowing reviews from gun rags 5-10 years ago. Not that I expect them to predict the future, but...

SomeOtherGuy
10-31-15, 14:37
I think it's two separate deals. You can turn in your gun within a certain timeframe and get $200 or keep it & they'll inspect it and provide a lifetime warranty.
I'll see if I can find the link that explained it in more detail.

I think you were correct here and not on your later post. I agree that all the things are poorly worded. See the official settlement site here:

https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

It looks to me as if it is either/or, you either get up to $200 for returning the pistol, OR you keep it and get the extended warranty and safety training.

Ryno12
10-31-15, 14:53
I think you were correct here and not on your later post. I agree that all the things are poorly worded. See the official settlement site here:

https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

It looks to me as if it is either/or, you either get up to $200 for returning the pistol, OR you keep it and get the extended warranty and safety training.

Ok, I'm not going nuts. That's what I thought I read last night but I couldn't find the same link.

I still might try to have Jessie Duff come over & explain it me over dinner. ;)

Pork Chop
10-31-15, 15:56
Ok, I'm not going nuts. That's what I thought I read last night but I couldn't find the same link.

I still might try to have Jessie Duff come over & explain it me over dinner. ;)

She likes Italian. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waylander
10-31-15, 16:15
OK I stand corrected. The info in the link makes more sense.

Well played, Taurus. Well played.

"If I do not exclude myself, can I sue the Defendants or anyone else for the same thing later?

No. Unless you exclude yourself, you give up the right to sue the Defendants or anyone else for the claims resolved by this settlement."

Ryno12
10-31-15, 16:28
She likes Italian. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But she's gonna like German better. :)

Big A
10-31-15, 16:44
But she's gonna like German better. :)
Wiener Schnitzel?

murphman
10-31-15, 19:55
My first pistol was a Taurus revolver that was a Christmas gift, to this day I dont shoot it beaucse the cylinder free spins when closed. Been meaning to send it in for warranty work but from all the stories I hear I am skeptical to do so.

SomeOtherGuy
10-31-15, 21:13
"If I do not exclude myself, can I sue the Defendants or anyone else for the same thing later?

No. Unless you exclude yourself, you give up the right to sue the Defendants or anyone else for the claims resolved by this settlement."

This is very typical of class-action settlements, and one of several reasons I generally despise them. It's all too common that the plaintiff class gets peanuts and some law firm gets 7 figures. I say this as someone who IS a lawyer, just not that kind of lawyer.

My first pistol was a Taurus revolver that was a Christmas gift, to this day I dont shoot it beaucse the cylinder free spins when closed. Been meaning to send it in for warranty work but from all the stories I hear I am skeptical to do so.

It sounds like the revolver is useless in its current condition, so I don't see what you have to lose by playing the odds with Taurus warranty service.

NB I own a Taurus 1911, which I actually like pretty well, but I bought it knowing (a) Taurus reputation and history, and (b) that being a 1911, anything that breaks can be fixed with an aftermarket part if I don't want to try their warranty department. Some parts would be questionable to fix (barrel and slide), others would require some gunsmithing but are do-able (hammer, due to their lock system), but it seemed like an OK bet for my intended use of 100% paper punching and having experience working on 1911s. I wouldn't touch any of their proprietary designs.

titsonritz
01-26-16, 20:03
Deadly defect in Taurus handguns has killed 13 police officers (http://www.tcmag.com/magazine/deadly_defect_in_taurus_handguns_has_killed_13_police_officers)

Man, these pieces of s*** will go off by just shaking them. Yikes.