PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 modifications - disconnector advice please

adh
08-02-08, 21:10
OK....got a box stock Glock 19. Got a set of CTC laser grips (thanks to board member thetallengineer) will be getting the Vickers/Tango Down mag release (and with the CTC grips this is definitely needed as the addition makes it very difficult for me to release the magazine without changing my grip), getting some Warren Tactical sights (front night sight plain rear), and now for where I need the advice because I'm placing an order with Brownells Monday. Which disconnector should I order? This will be a carry gun, and was thinking one of the 3.5lb connectors would be a good addition, but which one (see link)???
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/catsearch.aspx?k=glock%20connector&ps=10&si=True

Thanks for any help,

ADH

John_Wayne777
08-02-08, 21:20
The Ghost connector has worked well for me...but I didn't run it for very long. GotM4 is the guy to ask about that, as he's a whiz with Glocks.

Magic Sauce
08-02-08, 23:30
I used a 3.5lb Glock connector in my G19 for while(while I owned it), but I switched it back to stock. I felt that it was a bit "Mushy" and the reset was more faint than the stock setup. I didn't care for the feel of it personally, but you may like it.

That is the only one I have experience with. Hopefully people with more experience can chime in regarding the other connectors.

Good luck

SeaSoldier
08-02-08, 23:34
I prefer the factory connector and a 25cent trigger job. In my experience when a lighter connector is used the reset becomes weaker.

adh
08-03-08, 00:18
I prefer the factory connector and a 25cent trigger job. In my experience when a lighter connector is used the reset becomes weaker.

Not sure what you mean by a 25cent trigger job

Magic Sauce
08-03-08, 00:42
I think he is talking about this....

http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

Not sure though, as I have never done it.

dwhitehorne
08-03-08, 03:22
I used a 3.5lb Glock connector in my G19 for while(while I owned it), but I switched it back to stock. I felt that it was a bit "Mushy" and the reset was more faint than the stock setup. I didn't care for the feel of it personally

I did the exact same thing. I used a Lonewolf connector and did not like the different feel in the trigger pull. Try it and see. It's very easy to change. David

Iraqgunz
08-03-08, 03:37
Something you may want to look at. I put a 3.5 connector in mine in conjunction with a NY (olive) trigger. It changes the feel of the trigger and I feel that this is a good set up. All of my Glocks are set up like this now.

Magic Sauce
08-03-08, 05:13
Something you may want to look at. I put a 3.5 connector in mine in conjunction with a NY (olive) trigger. It changes the feel of the trigger and I feel that this is a good set up. All of my Glocks are set up like this now.

I am curious about this setup myself.

How exactly does it change the feel of the trigger?

tiger seven
08-03-08, 08:18
I am curious about this setup myself.

How exactly does it change the feel of the trigger?

I recently put this setup (factory 3.5# connector + NY1 olive spring) in my G19. To me, the weight doesn't feel much different than the factory setup; but overall the trigger is less mushy, and the most noticeable difference is that reset is much crisper. So far I'm liking it.

Derek

Iraqgunz
08-03-08, 08:23
Tiger pretty much nailed it. Some people find it difficult to get used to, but I liked it right away. I have been carrying Glocks off and on since buying my first at a gun store outside of Ft. Benning in 1990 and it was no problem getting the new feel for it.

I recently put this setup (factory 3.5# connector + NY1 olive spring) in my G19. To me, the weight doesn't feel much different than the factory setup; but overall the trigger is less mushy, and the most noticeable difference is that reset is much crisper. So far I'm liking it.

Derek

Neville
08-03-08, 09:33
Which disconnector should I order? This will be a carry gun, and was thinking one of the 3.5lb connectors would be a good addition, but which one (see link)???

Don't put any aftermarket parts into a Glock as they are not rugged/reliable enough for a carry/defense gun.
The "-" connector from Glock is ok if you want a lighter trigger.

Paul45
08-03-08, 09:35
For Glocks that I use for personal defense, I just clean up the 5.5l pounder, leave the stock slide release and the stock mag release. Just add GOOD sights and spend your money on ammo.
Game / play guns are differnet - Do it all and have some fun experimenting. You will find out that something that works for some will not work for you and also the opposite. Just make sure your carry gun works, will not catch on something, is simple to use and it works (repeat - and it works). Under pressure you may be better off with a 5.5 trigger pull. KEEP IT SIMPLE and practice.

ToddG
08-03-08, 10:13

This is how I had my Glocks set up back when I was carrying and competing with them (mid- to late-90's). It provides a trigger pull that is heavy enough to be safe, light enough to be shootable, some resistance immediately during the take-up phase, and a very positive & forceful reset. It also has the advantage of being 100% stock, no aftermarket parts or 'smithing.

Now I have my M&Ps set up the same way, using the Massachusetts trigger bar & trigger spring (equivalent to the NY1 spring in the Glock) and the Performance Center sear (similar to the 3.5# disconnector in a Glock).

adh
08-03-08, 10:17
Thanks for all the input.

AllAmerican
08-03-08, 11:34
Not sure what you mean by a 25cent trigger job

Question, it says a 'mild polish' Would valve polishing compound be too gritty? I cannot read the label of the tube in the picture....

Thanks,
Jack

Magic Sauce
08-03-08, 16:29

Derek

Tiger pretty much nailed it. Some people find it difficult to get used to, but I liked it right away. I have been carrying Glocks off and on since buying my first at a gun store outside of Ft. Benning in 1990 and it was no problem getting the new feel for it.

Thank you both, I will have to try it someday. Seems like a worthwhile modification.

SeaSoldier
08-03-08, 16:30
I think your best bet would be to keep the gun stock except for a set of steel sights. My preference is Heinie old style STR8 Eight. Possibly some polishing of the trigger engagement surfaces.

Bushytale
08-05-08, 02:03
AllAmerican, valve lapping compound is not a polish and is very abrasive. It is designed to remove metal. Use a polishing compound such as Flitz, Semi-chrome or jewelers rouge. Be careful to not remove any more metal than it takes to make it shiny and smooth. If you are not sure of what you are doing then "don't" do it.

AllAmerican
08-05-08, 07:09
AllAmerican, valve lapping compound is not a polish and is very abrasive. It is designed to remove metal. Use a polishing compound such as Flitz, Semi-chrome or jewelers rouge. Be careful to not remove any more metal than it takes to make it shiny and smooth. If you are not sure of what you are doing then "don't" do it.

Thank you Sir,
I have Flitz, so I am going to try it with just a cotton cloth, very gently make it shiny and smooth. I have tried the Ghost connectors, but could really not tell much difference. This technique sounds more sensible, and something I can do. I have a Mod 30 SF that could use a little smoothing of the trigger.
Thanks for the info!
Jack

Robb Jensen
08-05-08, 07:32
Be very careful polishing, you can go overboard and end with a Glock that goes 'cyclic'.

I don't use anything more aggressive than Flitz or Semichrome.

I've had very good luck with Ghost 3.5lb connectors. Out of about 100 of them we've only had one that was bad. It was a little out of spec and wouldn't allow the striker to fall. Tried the next one we had on the wall and it worked fine. Factory Glock 3.5lb are pretty much vaporware. I find that the Ghost 3.5lb connector actually has a crisper trigger than a Glock factory 3.5lb connector. If you like a snappier reset the NY1 trigger spring in combination with the 3.5lb connector works very well.

AllAmerican
08-05-08, 07:41
Be very careful polishing, you can go overboard and end with a Glock that goes 'cyclic'.

I don't use anything more aggressive than Flitz or Semichrome.

I've had very good luck with Ghost 3.5lb connectors. Out of about 100 of them we've only had one that was bad. It was a little out of spec and wouldn't allow the striker to fall. Tried the next one we had on the wall and it worked fine. Factory Glock 3.5lb are pretty much vaporware. I find that the Ghost 3.5lb connector actually has a crisper trigger than a Glock factory 3.5lb connector. If you like a snappier reset the NY1 trigger spring in combination with the 3.5lb connector works very well.

I may try that first, the 3.5 Ghost, I just wonder about liability in a shooting...
I carry my G30 sometimes. I don't think the trigger needs much and just shooting it may make it smoother. This Glock came with flash on the trigger safety that had to be fixed and a broken ejector. The trigger is 'gritty' so I think I will order the connector and in the meantime just shoot the hell out of it!

Thanks for the info!!
Jack

Robb Jensen
08-05-08, 07:47
A 3.5lb connector with a stock trigger spring yields about a 4.5lb trigger pull. A 3.5lb connector with a NY1 yields a 5lb+ trigger pull.

"If the shooting is good, the shooting is good."

In other words if you aren't justified in the use of deadly force it's probably not a good idea to use deadly force........I'm just sayin'.

AllAmerican
08-05-08, 07:55
I know what you are saying, I have just read of the horror stories of people who have modified weapons and been in shootings and well you know how the lawyers are. The chances of me being in a shooting is next to nothing, (hopefully) I'm sure this has been debated to death.
I think I will be OK and like you said I am going to order the 3.5 Ghost (I like the idea of a 4.5 pull) and in the meantime continue shooting to try and smooth up the other parts. I have plenty of ammo for that.

Thanks,
Jack

signalzero
08-05-08, 20:59
I use the factory 4.5(aka 3.5) connector and ny1(olive) trigger spring. I don't use anything to polish them out except dry and live fire. With 16 years of experience and Glock Armorer Training, this is more than satisfactory for me.