PDA

View Full Version : Engraving for SBR in NOVA?

LukeMacGillie
10-04-06, 07:20
Anyone have a source for getting a lower engraved with the required data when SBRing it? Willing to go as far south as perhaps richmond, not willing to send my lower off to some dude on the net.

Robb Jensen
10-04-06, 07:36
Anyone have a source for getting a lower engraved with the required data when SBRing it? Willing to go as far south as perhaps richmond, not willing to send my lower off to some dude on the net.

There's a trophy/engraving shop in Woodbridge off of Telegraph Rd. Next to Quality Tire (across the street from NTB) near Potomac Mills that will do it. Harlan (Hardgear LLC is his screenname here) of Frederick County Firearms knows of a place near Winchester VA as well.

LukeMacGillie
10-04-06, 08:02
Good deal, Thats right around the corner from me.

Pat_Rogers
10-04-06, 08:07
Brother Luke- i have been to that shop on a number of occassions- very GTG.
However, never thought about bringing a lower in.
Let me know how it shakes.

LukeMacGillie
10-04-06, 08:15
Brother Luke- i have been to that shop on a number of occassions- very GTG.
However, never thought about bringing a lower in.
Let me know how it shakes.

Will Do, I have to get new tires for the Jeep so can combine it all into one trip!

Bulldog1967
10-04-06, 08:44
Tag for report. :D

MisterJG
10-10-06, 21:39
I can do CNC rotary engraving to ATF specs as well as laser engraving. I'm located in the Springfield area. IM me if I can be of help.

Jesse
07FFL/02SOT

Bulldog1967
10-11-06, 10:37
I can do CNC rotary engraving to ATF specs as well as laser engraving. I'm located in the Springfield area. IM me if I can be of help.

Jesse
07FFL/02SOT

Email sent.

LukeMacGillie
10-11-06, 17:01

Jesse
07FFL/02SOT

Do you have a storefront? I work in the Fullerton Road area.

Bryson
10-12-06, 01:47
I remember a thread from ARFCOM a few months ago where somebody posted a scan of an ATF letter saying that engraving was not required on SBR/SBS weapons. What ever happened with that?

Robb Jensen
10-12-06, 04:21
I remember a thread from ARFCOM a few months ago where somebody posted a scan of an ATF letter saying that engraving was not required on SBR/SBS weapons. What ever happened with that?

IIRC the head of the NFA branch wrote a letter that basically said it wasn't required and then like a week later or something says it was incorrect and engraving is required.

I engrave my SBRs as I don't want to be the test case. ;) YMMV.

If a company makes an SBR from the factory like a Colt 6921 it won't have to be engraved because it left Colt as a 14.5" AR and will transfer on a Form 4. If you made it on a Form 1 it will need to be engraved.

ANGST
10-13-06, 11:16
If a company makes an SBR from the factory like a Colt 6921 it won't have to be engraved because it left Colt as a 14.5" AR and will transfer on a Form 4. If you made it on a Form 1 it will need to be engraved.

Of course it has to be engraved, It'll say Colt Defense, Harford CT. on it :D

You won't have to engrave it additionally since Colt made the gun , they engrave it. When you take a Title I reciever and build an SBR you are then the "maker" of a Title II gun and must engrave your info on it.

Sorry just splitting some hairs

Robb Jensen
10-13-06, 13:26
Of course it has to be engraved, It'll say Colt Defense, Harford CT. on it :D

You won't have to engrave it additionally since Colt made the gun , they engrave it. When you take a Title I reciever and build an SBR you are then the "maker" of a Title II gun and must engrave your info on it.

Sorry just splitting some hairs

Not really. Of course it'll be marked as a Colt. It just won't have anything else engraved on it other than factory Colt markings.

LukeMacGillie
10-13-06, 16:11

Jesse
07FFL/02SOT

Thanks Jesse for the hook up. Im very happy with the engraving.

themadhatter
10-14-06, 08:31
waiting on update:p

LukeMacGillie
10-14-06, 14:00
waiting on update:p

If your waiting on me to post a pic of a lower with my real name and home of record on it your going to be waiting for awhile......................

themadhatter
10-15-06, 07:49
If your waiting on me to post a pic of a lower with my real name and home of record on it your going to be waiting for awhile......................
no am waiting to see how the engraving went:mad: someone's tinfoils on a Little tight

LukeMacGillie
10-15-06, 13:34
no am waiting to see how the engraving went:mad:

Well I cant do one without the other.

The engraving went very well, quick, painless and didnt cost an arm and a leg. Since Im just SBR'ing a preban lower all that was engraved was my name and the town that I live in, and I dont want to post a pic of that. Doom on me I guess:rolleyes:

madryan
10-15-06, 15:57
How big does the engraving have to be? I can do it at work, but I want it as small as possible.

Robb Jensen
10-15-06, 16:45
I don't know what Jesse's looks like but this is how Steve (Tom Sawyer Mfg) did mine. My tinfoil is loose. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/4457e28a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/4671b2f0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/1fc5f20c.jpg

striped1
01-22-07, 12:37
I believe there is a size and depth requirement for the font of the engraving. Check the ATF website.

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 04:14
I believe there is a size and depth requirement for the font of the engraving. Check the ATF website.

I'm pretty sure MisterJG is aware of that, IIRC LWRC (were he works) is a Title 1 and 2 manufacturer.

ChrisG19
01-23-07, 23:10

Jesse
07FFL/02SOT

Is this a "while you wait" service?

WILDBILL
01-25-07, 22:44
Where can I go to find out if I need to put my full name on my CQB Lower or just my first name, first letter of middle name and last name?

davidp14
01-26-07, 09:00
Where can I go to find out if I need to put my full name on my CQB Lower or just my first name, first letter of middle name and last name?

according to ATF it can be a "recognizable abbreviation". IMO (which isnt worth much) If you say abbrv. your trust with "A.B. Trust" and then have apperwork to show full name as the Alfred, Bob livng trust, that seems like a "recognizable abbreviation" to me.:confused:

sharps54
01-27-07, 20:17
Well since you have to put the wording of your engraving on the form 1 anyhow I figure if they approve the form 1 they are approving your wording, I plan on submiting (Lastname Trust, Stafford, VA) and seeing what happens.

Robb Jensen
01-27-07, 20:25
Well since you have to put the wording of your engraving on the form 1 anyhow I figure if they approve the form 1 they are approving your wording, I plan on submiting (Lastname Trust, Stafford, VA) and seeing what happens.

My Trusts name is:

(my first name, middle last) / (my wifes first name, middle, last) Revocable Living Trust Woodbridge, VA

And on the line for where it asks for 'additional description' I wrote (my last name) / (my wifes last name) TRUST WOODBRIDGE, VA it's line 4 something, then I had engraved on the receiver :

(my last name) / (my wifes last name) TRUST WOODBRIDGE, VA

All three have been approved using my method. :D

sharps54
01-29-07, 13:35
gotm4,
Quick off topic question, did you buy the lowers for your form 1 builds under your name or your trust's? I figure as long as you submit the form 1's with the trust info it shouldn't matter, but can you buy a non-NFA (yet) weapon with your trust on the 4473? I don't see why you would need to, I guess it is more of an academic question.

Robb Jensen
01-29-07, 14:49
gotm4,
Quick off topic question, did you buy the lowers for your form 1 builds under your name or your trust's? I figure as long as you submit the form 1's with the trust info it shouldn't matter, but can you buy a non-NFA (yet) weapon with your trust on the 4473? I don't see why you would need to, I guess it is more of an academic question.

I purchased 2 them personally and then sent in the form 1s under the Trust which then became the owner of them. One I purchased personally and did that one as a personal Form 1. I don't know whether a Trust can purchase a non NFA firearm or not, never tried.

sharps54
01-29-07, 20:16
OK, it's not a big deal, once you do the form 1 or form 4 it will be listed as the trusts and other then NFA as long as you're not a "bad person" I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks!:)