PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Partisan Bill Introduced to Restore the Second Amendment Rights of D.C. Residents

JSandi
08-02-08, 21:17
Bi-Partisan Bill Introduced to Restore the Second Amendment Rights of D.C. Residents

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fairfax, VA -- Today, in a bi-partisan effort, Congressmen Travis Childers, John Dingell, John Tanner, Mike Ross and Mark Souder, along with 47 of their colleagues, introduced the Second Amendment Enforcement Act (H.R. 6691). This critical legislation overturns D.C.'s recently enacted emergency laws that continue to defy the recent Supreme Court ruling by continuing to restrict District of Columbia residents' right to self-defense. This National Rifle Association-backed bill is needed to enforce the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller.

On June 26, the U. S. Supreme Court held in District of Columbia v. Heller that "the District's ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense." The Supreme Court clearly stated that handguns are constitutionally-protected arms because they are commonly used, are typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, are considered by the American people to be the quintessential self-defense weapon, are the most popular weapon chosen by Americans for self-defense in the home and are the most preferred firearm in the nation to keep and use for protection of home and family.

The Second Amendment Enforcement Act will:

* Repeal the District's ban on semi-automatic handguns. Semi-automatic pistols have been the most commonly purchased handguns in the United States over the last 20 years, and therefore a ban on those firearms is unconstitutional as decided by Heller;

* Restore the right of self-defense by repealing the requirement that firearms be disassembled or secured with a trigger lock in the home;

* Repeal the current D.C. registration system that requires multiple visits to police headquarters; ballistics testing; passing a written test on D.C. gun laws; fingerprinting; and limiting registration to one handgun per 90 days. The current system is unduly burdensome and serves as a vehicle for even more onerous restrictions; and

* Create a limited exemption to the federal ban on interstate handgun sales by allowing D.C. residents to purchase handguns in Virginia and Maryland. Currently there are no firearms dealers in the District of Columbia, and the federal ban prohibits residents from purchasing handguns outside of the District; therefore, District residents have no means of purchasing handguns.

JSandi
08-02-08, 21:20
Wonder if this might open the door down the road for further opening of interstate handgun sales?

Nice if we begin to see the end to such BS measures, maybe the 86 import ban et al...

MAUSER202
08-02-08, 21:27
Its such bull sh#t that you have to pass a law, to make the goverment obey a law.

ZDL
08-02-08, 23:10
Its such bull sh#t that you have to pass a law, to make the goverment obey a law.

It's great ain't it? I mean DC has always been filled with sense..... Take Marion Barry for example. Fine model of human and politician............which they re-elected........

shooter
08-03-08, 09:08
Out of the sponsors, the only name I recognize is Dingell-berry (a pro-gun Dem*).

Are the rest of these guys big 2A supporters? :confused:

More than anything, I think the pols might be scared and want to push this to prevent DC from getting their pee-pee slapped any harder by SCOTUS.

* who is buddies with Rahm Emmanuel, go figure

JediMindTricks
08-03-08, 13:35
It's great ain't it? I mean DC has always been filled with sense..... Take Marion Barry for example. Fine model of human and politician............which they re-elected........

That was the crack head right?

ToddG
08-03-08, 13:42
I think that looks like an excellent bill. Let's hope it passes.

ZDL
08-03-08, 13:46

Correct

shooter
08-03-08, 18:17
"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very low crime rate." -- Marion Barry, mayor of Washington, D.C.

"First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl." -- Marion Barry

HolyRoller
08-03-08, 22:30
Heyyyy :mad: he was SET UP!

JLM
08-04-08, 03:25
Outstanding.

Gutshot John
08-04-08, 09:39
Pure horsepuckey, political grandstanding specifically meant for November. It was referred to committee to die where it allows everyone to save face. Repubs want to show they still care about the 2a and the Dem sponsors don't want the GOP to take all the credit in an election year. There is no intent to actually pass this legislation and Pelosi would NEVER let it come to the floor.

Congress went out of session and I don't see it being making it out of committee before the next congress, when it will have to be reintroduced and resent to committee.

On average it takes between 5-8 years between when legislation is introduced and when it gets passed. The overwhelming majority of House Resolutions never make it anywhere, especially out of committee.

With a Dem congress this bill is DOA...sorry to burst any bubbles but this is how Congress works.

A-Bear680
01-24-09, 15:13
Good news.
No disrespect intended toward any previous posters , I was as surprised by this outcome as anyone else:

The House passed this bill on Sept 17 , 2008 by a vote of 266 to 152. That's right , the good guys won by over 100 votes . Eighty-five (85) Democrats broke ranks with their senior party bosses to vote "yes".

The raw numbers are from the NRA'S 1st Freedom Nov 2008 , page 20.

The Senate counterpart bill had around 40-49 co-sponsors and died.
Still , not a bad showing and a warning to gun-grabbers not to push too hard.
Some of the faces in Congress have changed , but most of the new ones are 2nd Amendment friendly.
:)

BAC
01-25-09, 14:14
My understanding is that this bill died in the Senate and never made it to W's desk. Can anyone confirm otherwise?

-B

AwaySooner
01-25-09, 14:41
\

On average it takes between 5-8 years between when legislation is introduced and when it gets passed. The overwhelming majority of House Resolutions never make it anywhere, especially out of committee.

With a Dem congress this bill is DOA...sorry to burst any bubbles but this is how Congress works.

Sad but true. Unless you are bankers come calling for taxpayers' money, then it get passed in a few days.

A-Bear680
01-25-09, 15:13
My understanding is that this bill died in the Senate and never made it to W's desk. Can anyone confirm otherwise?

-B

Yeah , it died in the Senate. Still , it collected 40-some Senate co-sponsors , a very decent showing.
The gun-grabbers are much weaker than they sometimes appear to be.
I think it's only a matter of time -- meaning years-- before the good guys in Congress have enough votes to solve the DC problem.

The grabbers had delusions of adequacy when they took DC v Heller to SCOTUS after the appeals court struck down the DC law. That was a huge blunder. They may never recover.