PDA

View Full Version : Mepro M21 versus others

Bret
10-31-15, 20:58
I have two Mepro M21's. One that came with my Tavor and another that I purchased because I like the one that came with my Tavor. I much prefer the M21's over my EOTech and Aimpoint Micro. The EOTech reticle seems to be made up of a bunch of separate tiny dots. The Aimpoint dot just isn't clear. However, the M21 reticles are perfectly clear to me. I had lasic eye correction a couple of years ago and can't see close up very well at all (blurry especially in the dark). My vision beyond about two feet 20/20 if not better. So is my preference for the M21 more of a product of how my vision is different than most everyone else's vision? Or, are there other reasons the EOTech's seem to sell much better than the Mepro M21's. I just feel like I'm missing something here.

XD40Colorado
11-02-15, 12:49
I have two Mepro M21's. One that came with my Tavor and another that I purchased because I like the one that came with my Tavor. I much prefer the M21's over my EOTech and Aimpoint Micro. The EOTech reticle seems to be made up of a bunch of separate tiny dots. The Aimpoint dot just isn't clear. However, the M21 reticles are perfectly clear to me. I had lasic eye correction a couple of years ago and can't see close up very well at all (blurry especially in the dark). My vision beyond about two feet 20/20 if not better. So is my preference for the M21 more of a product of how my vision is different than most everyone else's vision? Or, are there other reasons the EOTech's seem to sell much better than the Mepro M21's. I just feel like I'm missing something here.

Not directly related, but how bad is washout of the reticle, when looking from a dark area into a lighter one?

Bret
11-02-15, 19:28
If you're in a poorly lit area and shooting in to a brightly lit area, then the reticle is hard to see. That's the only negative I've found to the M21.

XD40Colorado
11-02-15, 19:34
I think they look pretty cool

Ryno12
11-02-15, 19:51
I'd like to try one but I think the blue tint would bother me.

uffdaphil
11-03-15, 00:27
Great looking sight, but the reticle washed out worse than any EO, Aimpoint or Triji I have had. I like the Mepro Tru-Dot much more even if it is fugly.

XD40Colorado
11-03-15, 13:02
Great looking sight, but the reticle washed out worse than any EO, Aimpoint or Triji I have had. I like the Mepro Tru-Dot much more even if it is fugly.

Could you elaborate on this for us?

uffdaphil
11-03-15, 13:45
Aiming from dark into light the reticle becomes faint, almost see through. Same effect with all fiber optics, but most pronounced in my experience with the M21. Have tried the three colors of TR24 triangle and a TR33 red chevron, all of which I find easier pick up quickly.

XD40Colorado
11-03-15, 13:47
Damn it! I really want to like the M21 but that sounds like a no-go to me. Well, thanks man.

uffdaphil
11-03-15, 13:52
Yeah, but eyes vary. I know my 67 year old orbs have deteriorated a lot. Might work well for you.

Waylander
11-03-15, 14:05
I have 20/15 in my one eye and just < 20/20 or so in the other eye with slight astigmatism. I've taken a hands on look at several of these from indoors at the LGS at the windows and they do washout.
The blue/green tint is a little annoying but something I could live with if the "dot" were brighter.

I'm revisiting the M21 just to think about a KISS optic to keep on my Tavor for always on HD use.

The Meprolight RDS is a bargain though compared to this and others and the sight picture is incredible compared to other reflex sights and RDS.

XD40Colorado
11-04-15, 08:42
I have 20/15 in my one eye and just < 20/20 or so in the other eye with slight astigmatism. I've taken a hands on look at several of these from indoors at the LGS at the windows and they do washout.
The blue/green tint is a little annoying but something I could live with if the "dot" were brighter.

I'm revisiting the M21 just to think about a KISS optic to keep on my Tavor for always on HD use.

The Meprolight RDS is a bargain though compared to this and others and the sight picture is incredible compared to other reflex sights and RDS.

Here's what turned me off to the M21 - YMMV. Watch what happens when he looks through the optic at the sidewalk and the side of the brightly-lit brick building. Your life or the life of a loved one could depend on you taking a shot - would be crappy if you were searching for the reticle, not able to find it, and someone got injured in the time it took to find the reticle. With a RDS at least you'd have a bright red circle, easy to pick up.
https://youtu.be/BA3BIbYDGuk

Ryno12
11-04-15, 09:02
Here's what turned me off to the M21 - YMMV. Watch what happens when he looks through the optic at the sidewalk and the side of the brightly-lit brick building. Your life or the life of a loved one could depend on you taking a shot - would be crappy if you were searching for the reticle, not able to find it, and someone got injured in the time it took to find the reticle. With a RDS at least you'd have a bright red circle, easy to pick up.
https://youtu.be/BA3BIbYDGuk

That's typical of every RDS (Aimpoint & Eotech) that I own. The reticle washes out more against a lighter (or brighter) background vs a darker one. Nature of the beast. You can compensate with the brightness level on the RDS but then you risk glaring against the darker backgrounds.

It's a balance.

Waylander
11-04-15, 09:59
That's typical of every RDS (Aimpoint & Eotech) that I own. The reticle washes out more against a lighter (or brighter) background vs a darker one. Nature of the beast. You can compensate with the brightness level on the RDS but then you risk glaring against the darker backgrounds.

It's a balance.

Agreed. The washout complaints are overblown IMO. I can't think of a situation where you would be shooting inside at a BG out in the sunlight unless you want to get charged with a crime. If somebody wants to prepare for the worst, iron sights are the best option anyway. People prepare for too many unlikely scenarios IMO.

Bret
12-20-15, 11:53
I bought a couple of M21's when The Mako Group had their Christmas sale. They mount fine on my AR15's, ARX100 and FS2000. However, the throw levers for mounting to the rail stick out on the right side which interferes some with retracting the carrier on my Sig556 SBR. I can live with it, but I'm wondering if there's another mount that has the levers on the other side that's compatible with the M21? I noticed that Trijicon's reflex has the throw levers on the other side. Unfortunately, they only offer a dot and cost considerably more.