PDA

View Full Version : Broken front sight screw

jschmitt08
10-31-15, 21:11
While trying to remove the front sight off my glock 17, I managed to break the head off the screw. It was caked in red loctite from the factory, and I did not realize this otherwise I would have heated it up. Anyways, I now have a relatively new glock brand front night sight that I planned on putting on a friends gun with the screw stuck in it. Any advice on salvaging this sight? Or am I out of luck....

ST911
10-31-15, 21:22
While trying to remove the front sight off my glock 17, I managed to break the head off the screw. It was caked in red loctite from the factory, and I did not realize this otherwise I would have heated it up. Anyways, I now have a relatively new glock brand front night sight that I planned on putting on a friends gun with the screw stuck in it. Any advice on salvaging this sight? Or am I out of luck....

You bought the gun NIB with that GNS installed?
Certain it's a factory installation?
No possibility it was installed by a previous owner, dealer, or armorer/"gunsmith"?

jschmitt08
10-31-15, 21:40
Brand new from GT Distributors.

L-2
10-31-15, 21:41
From the description and my imagination, I can't see salvaging that front sight. The diameter of the screw and the drill bits I have would just be too large, along with any screw removal tools/bits.

rondooley
10-31-15, 22:09
GT installs all of the sights before sale. Had one break off from them as well.

jschmitt08
10-31-15, 22:17
GT installs all of the sights before sale. Had one break off from them as well. I know u have that option, but this was a factory night sight gun.

R0CKETMAN
11-01-15, 05:54
I know u have that option, but this was a factory night sight gun.

send it to Glock, my guess is they'll replace it...you may want to switch to a taller front

jschmitt08
11-01-15, 08:22
send it to Glock, my guess is they'll replace it...you may want to switch to a taller front
The gun is getting i-dot pros. I will call glock on monday and see what they say.

rondooley
11-01-15, 19:34
I know u have that option, but this was a factory night sight gun.
Are you sure? Does it say night sight on the box? The rep told us they order all guns without night sights and install them at their shop. Just saying...

jschmitt08
11-01-15, 22:24
Are you sure? Does it say night sight on the box? The rep told us they order all guns without night sights and install them at their shop. Just saying...
Yeah its a blue label gun thats marked with night sights on the case.

Gunfixr
11-02-15, 07:27
It would take a very small drill, and then tap to clean out the hole. If some of the shank is protruding, it could be grabbed, but again, a very small thing. Some heat, but trying not to ruin the sight.

I've welded a nut to the end of broken screws, and even taps, and they usually just back out.
Never anything that small.

While very little is impossible, some things are difficult enough that it's not worth doing.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk